• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Partners in Darkness: A Thread About Secondaries and 2v2 Partners.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
So, as a glorious 'Dorf main I was thinking.

What characters are most beneficial to us to keep in our pocket?
And what characters make the best teammates?

In this thread, we shall compile all our answers and reasoning into one seething mass!

I'll eventually update this OP into a sort of guide if this takes off, so let's get rolling!

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Falcon/Ganondorf on one team may not be the most balanced or beneficial, but there simply isn't anything awesomer... although double Ganons is very close, heh. Admittedly, I've yet to play with Friendly Fire on in this game yet and that's a whole different game. A really fun game though that I used to play all the time in Brawl. As you well know Sykka, any time we'd get a match going on Fsmash it would be Friendly Fire on. Things haven't gotten too ridiculous with it off in For Glory though and a lot of the times I play with a team Ganon/Falcon it's with a friend against computers or other friends locally. That said, this has been an epic team I've loved since Melee.

Other than that pairing, I feel a Ganondorf/Palutena team would be fun just for the dichotomy of it.

Have yet to really experiment with 2v2 teams in this game, but I know Ray would say Robin from his own experience and I have to admit that Arc Fire into anything of Ganon's for guaranteed damage is a big deal. Likewise, Ness would be a good partner with PK Fire and other gimpy moves. Any character that has a move that allows a free hit for Ganon is a bonus... and all are capable of that but some leave much more significant windows.

For myself, I'm still fairly early in this game but I've always loved Falcon and I always try to make Samus work simply because I love the Metroid series so much. Link's been fun as well and is a character I always at least try to use. Samus and Link are interesting to use and require a mind set I often don't have the patience for. Link has good kill power now but Samus still leaves me with something to be desired. Gotta say I really like Zelda though. Something satisfying about using her now more than ever I'd say.

In terms of who is wise to secondary to cover bad matchups for Ganon. I imagine any "high tier" or "projectile user" would be good. Perhaps Rosa or Lucario. Not sure. Would have to actually play more... and actually seriously.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I believe Lucario is a great secondary for Ganon.
He takes care of the "ticklers" Ganon doesn't like, and feeds off of the damage he recieves.

Watulio

Smash Cadet
Being ganondorf on a 2v2 is suffering. You'll be smashed away and because of how slow ganondorf is the 2 enemies will gang up on your teammate before you get in there again, hoping you won't get separated again.

If your enemies are careless you could go for flame choke which gives you super armor so your teammate hits both your pray and his teammate.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Pac-Man seems like a good doubles teammate, as the trampoline can help Ganondorf's recovery and kicking around the hydrant is super easy. Pretty much any fast character that can bail you out of a tough spot works too. Diddy gets an honorable mention because bananas are nice to have around. Ganondorf is great in doubles because he gets kills so easily, but he does need someone who can bail him out if he gets caught in the fray.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I believe Lucario is a great secondary for Ganon.
He takes care of the "ticklers" Ganon doesn't like, and feeds off of the damage he recieves.
Speaking of Lucario, my partner in an upcoming tournament (consisting of a few top level players like Ally and Holy) will be using him along side my Ganon.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
My roommate uses C. Falcon and we do really well in FG 2v2s, but I'm not sure how well it'd work in a more competitive setting. At the very least Falcon's speed helps chase down and string off of anything Ganon hits. Flame choke is an excellent setup move for a Falcon punch.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I team with s Duck Hunt/Pikachu main evety now and then. We love flame choke to DH's dair repeatedly, and when he's Pikachu we pressure like crazy.

I feel safe using Villager and have recently attempting jiggs who I like using vs. campers.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
My secondary/dual main is Falcon, bc of his rushdown and amazing combo options. It can be like taking your opponent out of ice cold water and sticking them in a furnace with regard to playstyles. The shock of having to deal with a completely new, offensive playstyle can sometimes catch my opponent off guard, giving me time to get my rushdown game going.

Essentially, since they're polar opposites, they're great for messing with opponents' heads in the grand scheme of the set.

Plus, learning Falcon has also helped me learn how to deal with him. I think a secondary like Sonic or Falcon is great for us Ganondorf players bc they allow us to catch our opponents off guard and help us learn difficult matchups better.

Last edited:

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
I've teamed a bit with a number of my friends when we had team smash fests and at some tourneys in friendlies (few tourneys seem to run Smash U doubles) and I feel like Ganon works well with a zoning character, such as ZSS. Zero Suits mobility allows her to simply move out of the way when Ganon jumps in for some hard hits, as well as stunning targets for Ganon. Me and the Zero Suits pulled off some cool tricks with this combo.

And don't forget! It's teams. I believe that the best possible character combination isn't neccessarily the best thing, play with someone who's playstyle works well with your own or someone you simply feel comfortable teaming with, be it a friend... or an enemy.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Speaking of Lucario, my partner in an upcoming tournament (consisting of a few top level players like Ally and Holy) will be using him along side my Ganon.
I assume this has happened by now. I'd like to hear how that went. I know you like Robin as a teammate but that could be as much to do with who's using him as anything. The point about Arc Fire and just the benefit of a projectile user makes lots of sense though. Similarly, what things seemed to work well or worked to Ganon's benefit as well as the benefit of his teammate in a Lucario/Ganon team?

Top Bottom