• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pandafest + Vayvolution (Get Your Game On), Oct. 17-18 [[Ann Arbor, MI]]

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
So, in order to continue the midwest's awesome streak of holding 2 day events, I'm holding a Smashfest at my apartment. It will be on Friday, October 17th, which is the day before Vayseth's tournament, dubbed the Vayvolution, on October 18th. The thread for the Vayvolution can be found here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=194308

My apartment is located quite literally 2 doors down from Get Your Game On, so people can sleep in my apartment that Friday and then we just go next door to the tournament on Saturday. Just so you guys know, this is a 3 bedroom apartment that I share with two other smashers, EpicProportions and Youko. Unofficially its the "Show Me Your News" apartment (thats the name of the podcast Youko and I have been doing for over a year now), so one of the televisions will actually be streaming live on the internet so the whole world can watch our friendlies :D

Being an apartment and all, its not incredibly spacious or anything. It probably can't hold a ton of people, and even less can sleep there. So that means people from out of state and those that RSVP will have priority over others, and there will be a cap on how many can stay at my place. And I highly suggest people bring sleeping bags or something with them, because we only have one couch. But no worries, there are quite a few smashers who live in Ann Arbor who have places where you may be able to stay, so I don't think housing will be too much of a problem. ANYBODY THAT CAN HELP FOR HOUSING OR NEEDS HOUSING SHOULD CONTACT ME ASAP.

The Pandafest will officially begin at 7pm, and thats when we'll be starting the side tournament with a $5 entry fee, and if possible we'll have $1 crews later that night. This will be an interesting side tournament, props to Vayseth and Lain for making up the idea. For this tournament, you'll have to switch mains with your opponent. The rules are as follows:
1. When you sign up, you list 2 characters that you use the most in tournaments. Don't be a douche about it and don't make **** up. Its for fun after all.
2. When you play your opponent, you can choose to play either of their characters. You are allowed to switch between their characters for counterpicks, but you can't use any other characters.
3. The stage list is the same as the tournament the next day.

My address is 727 Packard St, Ann Arbor, MI. For parking, refer to the map that Vayseth included in the other thread. If you have any other questions, post in this thread or PM me about it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Question on the side tourney. I main Sheik/Zelda (meaning starting as Sheik) and second Marth. Would I then list it as Sheik/Zelda and Marth, or Sheik and Marth (I'm pretty sure my Marth usage trumps my Zelda usage)?

Vayseth

Smash Master
In this case, just like if someone picked PT, they are considered one character, and people could then choose 3 characters to play.

This is unlike Samus and ZSS. They are considered two different characters.

Also, you might want to check my stage list before saying you're going to use it ^^;;

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
You do have a really stupid stage list, but I feel like using a different stage list for the smashfest would just be awkward.

Vayseth

Smash Master
I dno, I kind of wanted to try a different stage list, and after Anther got gayed by Sky World at WTON and NoJ always was complaining about stages, I talked to them and a few others (mainly BIG C and lain) about what would be without question the "fairest" stage list and that's what happened. Anther and lain pointed out that people who liked Japes and other stages like that might be a little mad, so I added in Pictochat and Rainbow Cruise to kind of have at least SOMETHING with random elements. I think it'll be fun.

Especially since we will be attracting a lot of new locals at this event, I figured it would help, since if any new people got gayed by stages they would likely not come back. Having a more conservative stage list might encourage people to focus on the skill involved and actually participate in more tournaments. It's all about the numbers baby!

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
*shrug* I'm not complaining about it. I'm just saying that its pretty silly. And it is rather funny that the Midwest always has so many stages on, but most of us only counterpick on pretty neutral stages anyway.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'll do my best to come to this since I more or less banned myself from the Midwest Circuit.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
my new mains are ivysaur and single ice climber.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
i wish i could come and hang at panda's but ill only be able to make it to vayseth's saturday

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I wish to come down as well. I've not been a Tournament Smasher before, but I do have a problem with Housing. I have a brother who lives an hour and a half away, and I'm not sure if he'd be willing to house me and my buddy for doubles, plus our ride(Who also is a decent smasher).

I'd like to RSVP, but I can't just now. Perhaps you could leave three spots open at the SMYN apartment for a couple of days while I sort a few things out with my friends.

But don't doubt my ability, I have hosted tournaments which I don't enter for fairness. I'm pretty consistent with beating the winners though in a friendly. I even beat Kali once... even though I will vouch he was feeling rather cocky and made two major mistakes...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I've beaten Kail plenty of times. Specifically, almost every single time when it didn't matter.

Pretty sure I always lost in brackets, though.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
My victories were flukes, I know it. Young Link just shouldn't beat Marth. He chased me down and committed suicide with one of his lives, and he was going to win, but I staged spiked him on Fountain of Dreams when he attempted to edge-gaurd. Nailed Marth with the final slash.

Never played him in Brawl, though. I main Sonic and Mario, who ended up on the low list. Guess it's up to me to me to give them a better name.

My friend, who is coming with me, mains Jiggly, Marth, and Falco. Mainly Jiggs. The other friend(the prospective driver) mains Marth and Pit.

Youko has beaten my Marth with Pit.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
mewtwo ftw.

but seriously i wish i could play mewtwo and be 1/1000th as good as taj.

but thats why i main ganon and fox in melee.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Whoa, new blood!

And it's two, for that matter. Twice the fun! <3

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Alright alright, I'll come... :lick:

I like Japes because it's really the only (regularly) legal stage that has a higher ceiling than normal. :/ Aside that, don't care about the stage list. Whoring lame stages like GHZ is the only way I can beat better player, though. :p

Vayseth

Smash Master
I just want to point out to everyone that housing is NOT guaranteed here. There is actually very limited space. The housing is for out of state people ONLY, in general. So, if you are in state, I suggest ONLY coming to the tournament on Saturday because there simply will not be enough room to fit all of you guys in Panda's tiny apartment. We tested it out and it was pretty crowded with only 8 people in there earlier this week. So, again, I need to inform people that if you live in state, you should come only to saturday's tournament (especially since overnight parking will be difficult to find.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
unless you're omni ;) then you can do what you want because vayvay is your friend ;)

also im really looking forward to playing/seeing lain again 1) because i heard he got stupid good 2) because i got his stuff >_< (sorry man) 3) because i missed bull****ting with the crazy man.

also MM lain? 1$ main switch? then 2$ best of 3 set legit characters?

i'll also MM bowyer because he sucks at this game ;) and panda because the stage wins the matches for me lol

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Indeed, this is Brawl only. Although if there are enough people (and enough setups) to get Melee going, then you can go for it... but I don't think you'll get enough interest :D

Rat

Smash Lord
hm... I thinking about going to this. But if I take the bus it won't arrive until like 2:30 in the afternoon. So that means only singles for me. =( And I can't really come on friday as there is a Mates of State concert i'm gong to. hm..... (let me check my shools ride board to see if ne1 is going to ann arbor next weekend)

How many people do you think will be there? Oh and if I do decide to go, can I get housing for Saturday night?

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Erm. Well, I live on the other side of Michigan. While that isn't technically out of state, it'll be the same, if not further distance then people from IL or OH. It's a four hour drive, longer with food and rest stops. I mean, priority goes to those who drive more then that, I got a back up place sitting an hour and fifteen minutes away, but that'd be another three hours of driving for the tournament.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Obviosuly by "in-state" I meant people in the Metro-detroit area. If you've got a 4 hour drive I'd suggest talking to SamuraiPanda via PM and setting things up with him. I'd hate for you to drive all the way out here and not have a place to stay.

lain

Smash Master
I'll mm you normally $2 omni (if I go to this one). main switch is silly lol.

but yeah man i ****.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Hmm... would you guys rather have the main switch side tournament, or a "choose your opponent's character" side tournament? The way the latter works is that you get 3 character bans, and your opponent must choose which character you use. Then, the winner of the first game chooses the loser's character, then the loser may choose the winner's character (in order to counterpick them). And there is a rule that you cannot choose the same character twice.

Both would be pretty fun, but its up to you guys :D

Top Bottom