• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena's known attacks and what they do, likeliest base movesets, Lady Palutena's Final Smash

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
My guesses:

Standard: Heavenly Light, Explosive Flame, Auto-Reticle (all of these require the staff which explains why Kirby has it)
Side: Superspeed, Lightweight, Angelic Missile
Up: Warp, Jump Glide, Rocket Jump
Down: Celestial Firework, Reflect, Counter

If I'm right here then my moveset will be Heavenly Light, Superspeed, Jump Glide and Celestial Firework.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Updated the OP with Palutena's newly revealed Up Smash attack, and added a little more detail about Heavenly Light (but you guys totally called it already lol). If there's any attacks I've missed which you know of, please show me where it is and I'll add it! :)

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I agree with Gamexplain's placement of the special moves, except for one little thing. Heavenly Light shall be the default standard B rather than Celestial Fireworks. Heavenly Light has appeared in a few pictures now, including one of Kirby, using the same move. It's probably just a hunch.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I feel like I'm the only one who thinks Celestial Fireworks is a down B.

I changed my opinion on heavenly light. Could possibly be a really OP move. With Fireworks and Light and up smash, Palutena will completely shut down any aerial based fighters, and heaven forbid they end up above her, they'll take a lot of punishment getting back to the ground.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766

I changed my opinion on heavenly light. Could possibly be a really OP move. With Fireworks and Light and up smash, Palutena will completely shut down any aerial based fighters, and heaven forbid they end up above her, they'll take a lot of punishment getting back to the ground.
just imagine a lil mac v palutena match up. if palutena gets lil mac in the air, she can just juggle him for days...

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
I feel like it's almost definitely a down B. She's even crouching just before she uses it in the trailer.

I pretty much agree with ThatWasPeachy's interpretation of her specials. I'm honestly not seeing what makes the GameExplain guys think Autoreticle is a down B.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
I feel fairly certain on most of her specials, but there are a few I just can't fit into anything super concretely.

Neutral B: Heavenly Light
Side B: Angelic Missile, Super Speed
Up B: Jump Glide, Rocket Jump, Warp
Down B: Counter, Reflect Barrier

This leaves: Lightweight, Celestial Fireworks, Autoreticle, and Explosive Flame.

The last side B could be Lightweight, to fit in with the other two being moves that move her quickly horizontally. However, I feel like it might just be possible for Warp to be a side B move and Lightweight her last up B, IF perhaps "lightweight" allows her to jump super high as well as move quickly (similarly to bunny hood)

Celestial Fireworks feels like it's either a neutral B or a down B, but I'd have to say I would lean more towards down B on this one.

Autoreticle and Explosive Flame both feel like they could be either neutral B or side B moves, because they are both horizontally aligned projectiles. I'm going to put them both on neutral B, however.

Tentatively, I'd say her final special moveset would look like:

Neutral: Heavenly Light, Explosive Flame, Autoreticle
Side: Angelic Missile, Super Speed, Lightweight
Up: Rocket Jump, Jump Glide, Warp
Down: Counter, Reflect Barrier, Celestial Fireworks

I feel like Heavenly Light is pretty solidly a neutral special because it's quite simple in terms of it being a raw, large field of no flinch damage, it was the first move they showed in the trailer, and in the image of Kirby with Palutena's hat on, it looks like he is raising her staff in the same way she raises it for Heavenly Light.

As for defaults, I'd say

Neutral: Heavenly Light
Side: Super Speed
Up: Jump Glide
Down: Reflect Barrier

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
Miiverse has a potential list of default specials, though it did have "subject to change" attached:

Neutral: Heavenly Light
Side: Autoreticle
Up: Warp
Down: Reflect Barrier

Part of me hopes that it's just them randomly slotting stuff into her character section simply because I'd like them to use the non-clone Jump Glide as a recovery move :/

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
Would it be possible for you to find that post and link it? :o

Autoreticle as a side special does make just as much sense as it does on a neutral special, but that does mess with my ideas a bit :p

However, it does make sense for that to be the default - it is the one most closely tied in to KI:U for sure. I also hope that Warp is NOT her default up-special. Jump Glide seems a lot more fun, and I would even prefer Rocket Jump to Warp for the simple fact that it is less boring.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Right now I agree with the miiverse set. Her smashes seem to be her wing attacks based on her trailer. Her move set looks pretty sick. Looks like they've shown her ftilt, utilt and nair as well.

she looks like she will be tons of fun.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
Having thought about it, I really do like her Miiverse set.
The only thing I didn't care for before was Warp, but without super speed or lightweight, she needed some sort of quick horizontal mobility move, and Warp could definitely fit the bill there whereas Jump Glide and Rocket Jump can only move her vertically (it looks like, at least). I'm also really excited for Reflect Barrier, since it's definitely one of the most unique reflectors by far.

Yeah, looks like her F-Smash and D-Smash are wings, then U-Smash is the beam of course. Dash attack is a leaping shield bash, nair looks like spinning her staff around her body. I'm assuming her ftilt is her sending her staff out in front of her and spinning it, and the multi-hit move on Fox could definitely be her jab - similar to Zelda's. Looking really exciting so far, for sure.

Last edited:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
My guesses:

Standard: Heavenly Light, Explosive Flame, Auto-Reticle (all of these require the staff which explains why Kirby has it)
Side: Superspeed, Lightweight, Angelic Missile
Up: Warp, Jump Glide, Rocket Jump
Down: Celestial Firework, Reflect, Counter

If I'm right here then my moveset will be Heavenly Light, Superspeed, Jump Glide and Celestial Firework.
After going back and evaluating her special moves, I believe you are correct. Your reasoning with the standard specials makes sense. Everything else falls into place. Another thing to note: Palutena actually crouches briefly in the trailer before performing Celestial Fireworks, so I really think this is her down special. I think you're spot on @ Starbound Starbound . Now the question is, which moves are her default? It seems like Heavenly Light will be her default standard special, and maybe Reflect for her default down special. I really wish Sakurai would explain more for Palutena like he did for Robin and Lucina. If he actually did, someone should post a link to it, please!

Last edited:

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
That Smash Miiverse site is a fansite
Who mentioned smashbros-miiverse? If you were talking about me, when I said her "miiverse set" I was referring to a miiverse post Sakurai purportedly made (though, I haven't seen it myself to confirm) where he stated her defaults were

B: Heavenly Light
Side B: Autoreticle
Down B: Reflect Barrier
Up B: Warp

Since I haven't seen the post myself I can't confirm, but the smashbros-miiverse site did update with those as her defaults, when before it had all of them grouped together, so I assume they also got that information from somewhere. Those specials do make sense as a default set, so I'm operating under the assumption that they're not lying about seeing the post that explained those as her default set.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Who mentioned smashbros-miiverse? If you were talking about me, when I said her "miiverse set" I was referring to a miiverse post Sakurai purportedly made (though, I haven't seen it myself to confirm) where he stated her defaults were

B: Heavenly Light
Side B: Autoreticle
Down B: Reflect Barrier
Up B: Warp

Since I haven't seen the post myself I can't confirm, but the smashbros-miiverse site did update with those as her defaults, when before it had all of them grouped together, so I assume they also got that information from somewhere. Those specials do make sense as a default set, so I'm operating under the assumption that they're not lying about seeing the post that explained those as her default set.
The Smash Bros. Miiverse fansite is where the post came from. It originated there. It was made up by them. Sakurai himself never made a post about Palutena's moveset.
http://smashbros-miiverse.com/characters/palutena

Last edited:

Bumbalobob

Smash Cadet
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but gamexplain recently posted a video of more screen shots and it shows Palutena using heavenly light. This could suggest it is a default move, as I do not think we have seen any released screenshots that show characters using custom moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCLSloG90_0
Look around the 3:40 mark for the image.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but gamexplain recently posted a video of more screen shots and it shows Palutena using heavenly light. This could suggest it is a default move, as I do not think we have seen any released screenshots that show characters using custom moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCLSloG90_0
Look around the 3:40 mark for the image.
We have had Donkey Kong's Storm Punch and one of the Mii Brawler's 3 neutral specials in two images.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Black Hole + Mega Laser = Final Smash, we pretty much all assumed this.
Now, based upon Mario's full moveset of specials because he's the only one we've seen all 12 in any level of depth for... there seems to be a base special, a form for utility, and one for damage. Now, I'll apply this to my predictions for Palutena's moves.

Neutral Special: Celestial Firework (Base), Heavenly Light (Utility), Explosive Flame (Damage)
Up Special: Jump Glide (Base), Warp (Utility), Rocket Jump (Damage)... warp and jump glide may be switched.
Side Special: Lightweight (Base), Super Speed (Utility), Angelic Missile (Damage).. I may be mixing up Lw & S.S. because their effects in the trailer appear contradictory to their Uprising differentiations.
Down Special: Reflect Barrier (Base), Aura Reticle (Utility), Counter (Damage?)

I disagree with the Smash Bros. Miiverse site on Aura Reticle and.. I believe Super Speed (may have been Lightweight). Lightweight and Super Speed seem to be the same base move, but a trade of surpassing Sonic in speed, and the damage/knockback factor. I don't see why they would be in two separate categories, and Aura Reticle is basically shoved in Down Special because it was the 12th slot left. For all I know, it could be swapped with Celestial Firework. The other 10 I feel confident in my placement.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Final Smash: get really really big and just own everything like the goddess she is.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
You know, the below picture recently got me thinking... I wonder if Palutena might have multiple air jumps, like Pit? If so, then I could see her default recovery being either Rocket Jump or Jump Glide instead of Warp.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Double-post, I know, but from what I gather from the below video, Palutena's default specials are...

:GCB:Auto Reticle (uses it at 0:15 and 0:29)
:GCR::GCB: Reflect Barrier (uses it at 0:04 and 0:21. Listen for when she says what sounds like, "kaisama!")
:GCU::GCB: Warp (uses it at 0:05)
:GCD::GCB: Not sure yet.

Top Bottom