• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palette Swap Gallery

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
PALETTE SWAPS GALLERY

Hello and welcome to the Palette Swap gallery where users can showcase thier character-specific palette swaps! Palette swaps have been a defining feature in Smash Bros. which both Melee and Smash 4 extending the number of swaps. Currently the number of swaps includes 8 per character but that isn’t something set it stone. I will be including the series that has potential characters and, if you wish for me to add a yet-to-be added series, let me know. Unrepresented 3rd party franchises will be listed as such unless they received more than three swaps.

Rules

Please include the character name and series they belong to make it easier to add to the front page.
You can tag me or another Ultimate mod to add it to the OP.
Eight palette swaps is mandatory. Single palette swap is also acceptable.
Please use source images that’s high quality to ensure your palette swaps are recognizable.
You can critique a palette swap but please leave flaming/trolling/spamming at the door. Be kind.

Super Mario Bros.

The Legend of Zelda

Metroid

Donkey Kong

Yoshi

Poochy ZagarTulip ZagarTulip

WarioWare and Wario Land

Kirby

Dark Matter Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt

Star Fox

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I really hope we get some people posting in this, fan recolours seem very limited this time around, I want to see more

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I uploaded a whole bunch of mine that I have off hand. I’ll upload more as time goes on.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Here are some of mine that I made a while back. They're in sprite form but hopefully they're still accepted:

Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury)

Kyo Kusanagi (King of Fighters)

kyo.PNG

Iori Yagami (King of Fighters)

iori.png

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Oooooh, didn't know there was a thread for this sort of thing. I'll have to make more later on, but for now have this set of Richter recolors I made a while ago. They're all based on his palette swaps from Harmony of Despair.
richter recolors.png

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I just made this thread yesterday so hopefully it’ll pick up steam later.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I want to play as edgy King K. Rool... (pls Sakurai give him a black alt)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Copying in a bunch I have from other threads - the four Zelda BotW champions, and my #1 Dovahkiin from Skyrim. I've also got the explanations for each color under the images.

I’ve been thinking of how I’d implement a playable Dovahkiin.

Based on the customization possible, I made costumes for several race/gender choices. There are two models (male and female) which act the same way, similar to Robin’s two options.
Possible costumes:

Male 1: default Nord. Blond hair, blue eyes.
Female 1: takes Lydia’s appearance. I debated on Aela, but Lydia is one of the better known characters and she’s more armored.
Male 2: takes after Brynjolf. Red hair, green eyes.
Female 2: blonde hair, blue eyes. I used Stormcloak colors for her.
Male 3: Redguard, black hair, brown eyes. I went with an imperial color scheme, but took Tullius’ gold armor since all the other men had grey. Not that the Redguards would support the empire by Skyrim, but eh...
Female 3: Altmer. I took a gold Elven recolor for the armor, and gave it some Thalmor black touches.
Male 4: Orc. This model will have a slight difference from the other male models to get the correct teeth. Armor is darker like the Orcish armor in game.
Female 4: Dunmer. I tried a Dark Brotherhood motif for the armor here.
---
I was thinking about Urbosa today, and I decided to throw together a quick mockup of some alternate colors.

1: Standard (and blue team)
2: Recolor based on Nabooru
3: Recolor based on Aveil (and red team)
4: Recolor based on Riju
5: Recolor based on Link's default crossdressing gear
6: Recolor based on the Ocarina-style Gerudo thieves
7: Recolor based on one of the mini-boss Pirates in Majora's Mask (and green team)
8: Recolor based on Twinrova
---
Sorry for the double post - I just finished Ravioli's recolors.

That was TOUGH! Revali, why do you have so many accessories? I used his amiibo model, but I think these turned out ok. At least interesting.

1. Standard (blue team)
  2. Based on Teba
  3. Based on Harth
  4. Based on Kass
  5. Based on Medli
  6. A version wearing Link's green tunic (green team)
  7. Based on Windblight Ganon's color scheme (red team)
  8. Falco. Because of course.
---
Daruk recolors are ready to roll!

Easy enough to make the color changes, but tough to pick designs due to the lack of differences (i.e. clothes) among Gorons. I tried to stick to just recolors and not adding patterns, and that made this one more difficult than expected. The basic ones turned out a lot better than I'd expected though.

1. Default (blue team)
  2. Based on Darunia with added sash (he is the Sage of Fire, after all...) Gold is from Goron's ruby (red team)
  3. Based on Link's transformation (green team)
  4. Based on Darmani's ghost
  5. Based on the Frost Talus enemies, and the fact that Snowhead is under...well, snow.
  6. Based on Fyrus
  7. Based on King Dodongo
  8. Based on Golem. The Pokémon. Because it's a rock, and it rolls...? I added some coloration from its Alola form.
---
Urbosa supporter here, but I've been making recolors for all of the champions in the other thread, and I couldn't break up a set - so I made some for Mipha as well!

1. Default (and red team)
  2. Based on Ruto (with a green sash for her bethrothed :awesome:)
  3. Based on Lulu
  4. Based on Laruto
  5. Based on Rutela
  6. Based on King Dorephan (and blue team)
  7. Based on Oren (and green team)
  8. Black recolor since it looks cool

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Looks like I'm going to have to dig through the recolor images that I've posted at a couple threads. I'm not too sure if any of them follow the rules though.

Note: Seven of the palettes are my recolors. The other palettes remain the same.

Red: Somewhat references Bowser's red palette from Melee and Brawl.

Red: Body color references the red Kritter. Somewhat references Kaboom's body color as well.
Blue: Body color references the blue Kritter.
Brown: Body color references the brown Kritter.
Yellow: Body color references the yellow Klobber.
Gray: Body color references the gray Kritter.
Dark Green: Simply a darker variation of the default palette.
Purple: Body color somewhat references the purple Klaptrap.

Light Blue: References Gardevoir's shiny color.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I know this is not a “request your recolors” thread but i’d love to see Richter getting colors based on characters from metroidvania styled games while Simon gets colors based on other Belmonts.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Certainly possible but I’m not sure what sort of metroidvania characters would fit. And yeah, requesting recolors will not be allowed in this thread as to not put unneeded pressure on the contributors.

Added CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica swaps of Tails.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've made two sets of Brian colors. Do note they coincidentally were made for Smash 4 and Ultimate timing-wise. There was one way earlier set made for Brawl, but it's pretty much just a bit less of the Smash 4 set.

Due to Smashboards not always posting images correctly, I also posted the url for convenience sake.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman

1: Default
2: Yoshi Egg
3: Plessie
4. Yoob
5. Dorrie
6. Wiggler
7. Sunshine Wiggler
8. I don't remember

1: Default
2: Amy
3: Knuckles
4. Vector
5. Big the Cat
6. Vanilla
7. Nothing in Particular
8. Rouge
I made some colour swaps for Poochy and Cream

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCraigadile

Smash Rookie
Made a mock up for Young Link

Green-Default

Blue-Four Sword/Zora Tunic

Red-Four Sword/Goron Tunic

Purple-Four Sword

Yellow-Nintendo Land Battle Quest Player 4

White-Based on the Blue Ring in the original

Black-Dark Link (There is a better official one but i decided to make one because why not?)

Orange-Based on Goron Link from MM.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I've always wondered—how do people make these? Do you need to have a reasonable amount of skill in Photoshop? I've always used paint.net for simple editing purposes, so maybe it's time for me to move up a level.

TheCraigadile

Smash Rookie
I've always wondered—how do people make these? Do you need to have a reasonable amount of skill in Photoshop? I've always used paint.net for simple editing purposes, so maybe it's time for me to move up a level.
I’m have no skill when it comes to editing images, but I use Gimp for these. Gimp is perfect for simple recolours. If you want more intricate details, you’d need to learn how to properly photoshop.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I’m have no skill when it comes to editing images, but I use Gimp for these. Gimp is perfect for simple recolours. If you want more intricate details, you’d need to learn how to properly photoshop.
Thanks! One more question though. What do you mean by intricate details? Does it have something to do with making an alternate costume, like if I wanted to make a Hooded Robin alt?

TheCraigadile

Smash Rookie
Thanks! One more question though. What do you mean by intricate details? Does it have something to do with making an alternate costume, like if I wanted to make a Hooded Robin alt?
Yeah. Gimp for me is best used to change colours and maybe make simple edits, while if you wanted to add additional things, like Robin’s hood or a a different shield design for Link, you’d definitely want to invest in Photoshop, and maybe take lessons.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Yeah. Gimp for me is best used to change colours and maybe make simple edits, while if you wanted to add additional things, like Robin’s hood or a a different shield design for Link, you’d definitely want to invest in Photoshop, and maybe take lessons.
I'll definitely look into it. Thank you.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I made these palette swaps of Terra Branford just a little while ago.

Terra-palette-swaps.png

Last edited:

TheCraigadile

Smash Rookie
Made a mock up for Young Link

Green-Default

Blue-Four Sword/Zora Tunic

Red-Four Sword/Goron Tunic

Purple-Four Sword

Yellow-Nintendo Land Battle Quest Player 4

White-Based on the Blue Ring in the original

Black-Dark Link (There is a better official one but i decided to make one because why not?)

Orange-Based on Goron Link from MM.
Updated it. Made two more, Fierce Deity and ALTTP, while also making Purple more resemble Kafei.

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Gengar from Pokémon
Sorry the image is pretty large. After having did these alternate colors, I wish Gengar was a playable character in Super Smash Bros.

Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
View attachment 172990
Oh boy! Those are really sick :awesome:! Love the amount of thought put into them! Does make me wish some of the actual Playable Pokemon had recolors based on other Mons aswell. Sadly they don't :urg:.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Oh boy! Those are really sick :awesome:! Love the amount of thought put into them! Does make me wish some of the actual Playable Pokemon had recolors based on other Mons aswell. Sadly they don't :urg:.
Thanks! I believe Mewtwo's palettes all have a reference, but I don't think some people would agree with me. Same with Charizard. I'm still not sure what his green color is based on. But that was the thing, I wanted to create references for Gengar's color palettes rather than just slapping any color. That's why I took the time to change his eye color and for two of the skins, gave him some colored tips. Seeing how Smash has a red, blue, green, and yellow team, I was looking for ghost types that had those colors. I couldn't find a red Pokemon, so I based his close red color off of his alternate color in Pokken Tournament.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Can I request a possessed Dedede and a King D-Mind pallet swap of Dedede?
It's a little rough around the edges, but here you go~ King D-Mind, because I didn't know what you meant by "possessed Dedede".

king d-mind.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom Got some new updates for you. Mainly, they're edited to fix the background and I added a 3rd selection.

...Brian from Quest 64. Of course I forget to mention that. I mean, it's redundant with two of the costumes being unchanged, but still, rules are rules. XD

Last one I had help from calfromkansas and Landmine36 for sprites/references, if they could be credited please.

Last edited:
Top Bottom