• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man's "I was wrong" thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm so hyped that they went with the Pac-Man World design and the stage is based on Pac-Land. So, are you glad to be proved wrong because Pac-Man is so awesome! :awesome:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I really hope people are just happy seeing his moveset in action. He looks super unique and weird to play, and I can't wait to try him out. Those Namco items he uses are crazy! There are so many!

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Was wrong only cause it looks like I was wrong about what the special flag did. Oh well.

Still would have had anybody else grumble grumble

Morbi

Scavenger
I was also incorrect in my presumption that Pac-Man was not an ideal choice. Pac-Man was always a logical choice, I am sure there was some confirmation bias on my part. To be perfectly honest, I was fairly aware that he was going to be in the game, but I actively opposed the notion regardless. I am not sure if I will play him very much as he is not my style; but at the same time, I am glad that he is in to an extent.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I want one of these threads so bad for Ridley :D I personally love how Pac-Man plays and looks, he's perfect!

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
I've always secretly wanted Pac-Man to make it into the game, I was just being a total hipster about it.

I'm glad he's in now, though; can't wait to get my hands on him!

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
I knew that Pac-Man was coming, but I never wanted him to come. I'm not exactly sold on him yet, but glad to see that he takes after the Pac Land design.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I see this as more of a both sides were right kind of situation.

For one thing Pac Man was totally obvious, but on the other hand people were right in that he didn't have enough going for him to have an interesting moveset (hence having to borrow from other Namco arcade titles :laugh:).

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I see this as more of a both sides were right kind of situation.

For one thing Pac Man was totally obvious, but on the other hand people were right in that he didn't have enough going for him to have an interesting moveset (hence having to borrow from other Namco arcade titles :laugh:).
I feel like they could have done enough with his moveset if they wanted. They used the fire hydrant, which is just ridiculous. It's an obscure reference, but it makes a neat move. He's got lots of other moves as well he could have used. I think the Namco moves are more there just to make him a representative of Namco in general, which I don't mind.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I was wrong.
For real, i was truly expecting a great moveset and an interesting metagame tied to the "eat" gimmick, rather than a generic 8bit monster who uses ghosts as moves "because why not?".

I was sooo wrong, gees, i have to admit it, was wrong ;_______________________;

Love the dash :p

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
My friends, I will say at first I did not want the Pacster...I was afraid due to his current appearance. Once I watched the trailer, I instantly got chills and was reminded of how cool he was. I can admit, I was wrong but for all the good reasons.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
After seeing the Special Flag item thing I'd pretty much accepted that Pacman was inevitable so I'm right there.

And while I still think Pacman has no relevance to today's Nintendo, gosh dang it that trailer was just so freaking adorable! I was honestly smiling the whole time. The music was great and I really love the other Namco references too.
I especially liked that bit in the trailer showing off the trampoline (I believe that's from Mappy, correct me if I'm wrong) and how everyone was walking behind Pacman. It was just so gosh dang cute. :D

So yes. I was wrong. Glad they didn't use the Ghostly Adventures design too. Congrats guys.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Pac-man seemed like an obvious choice, but I never put him on any sort of Wish-list or anything..

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I saw it coming. I only didn't want it 'cause sal leak.

But Pac Man looks great, I was afraid they were going to use his newer, more horrifying incarnation.

congrats, pac-fans.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I were never wrong. At the day I heard Namco Bandai were going to work on this game. I told all my friends. Just wait and see. Pac-Man is in this game...

And when it came closer to E3. I told everyone. IF PAC-MAN is in this game, he will be showed at E3 this year... *Magic*

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I reluctantly believed in him because of the Sal leak. I believed the leak ever since Little Mac, but I was worried that they would mess up Pac-Man. It looks like they nailed him.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I guess I was only half wrong, as I didn't say he could not appear, but just tried to provide reasons he might not in case he didn't.

I'm still completely neutral. I'm happy for other people, but his moveset doesn't look like it's incredibly unique. The fan service in his moveset is cool though.

He doesn't look particularly like my kind of fighter, but I'll obviously try him out. However, he definitely won't be a main, nor am I suddenly compelled to check out the Pac-Man series on a deep level.

I'm more interested in his stages, though, they look really interesting.

Oh, and the trailer was adorable. I loved the ending.

Last edited:

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
While at first I didn't expect or want him, when I saw the trailer, my opinion of him changed completely. I think my dislike of him came from me never really playing a Pac-Man game past the original one, plus the whole SFxT fiasco.

I was wrong, but I don't consider that a bad thing. I think he blends well.

Last edited:

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
I was right that Pac-Man wouldn't really have a moveset himself, but wrong to think that Namco, the makers of Soul Cali and Tekken wouldn't make a great character with a great moveset. Also, Namco made 2 better Capcom fighting characters then Capcom them selves.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'll admit, after the Digital Event, I thought he was disconfirmed. It would have been a great opportunity for him to be revealed in the morning to thousands of people watching, not from a twitter page. But when I heard that a newcomer was going to be announced later that day, I started to have some hope for him.

Well here he is. Gotta say, I really like his unique moveset.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I was wrong! because pac-man was useless and very difficult to predict a unique moveset.
He give more retro epicness and memorys than megaman himself.

To me pac-man is like a GOD of Namco.

Xigger

Smash Lord
You JUST made the I Was Wrong thread for Mii, @ Arcadenik Arcadenik ... I hope it's not an unhealthy habit to enjoy fan's discomforts.

Or enjoy seeing their changed minds. That one's not so unhealthy.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I was wrong, I will admit. I knew he was inevitable because on Namco's involvement but glad to see he's actually a well thought out character. So much in fact that I wish they had given Sonic such a more thought out move set as well.

Glad to have him aboard and congrats to the supporters too.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I was wrong...
about Pac-Man being in Brawl!
But I was right about him being revealed at E3!

D

Deleted member

While at first I didn't expect or want him, when I saw the trailer, my opinion of him changed completely. I think my dislike of him came from me never really playing a Pac-Man game past the original one, plus the whole SFxT fiasco.

I was wrong, but I don't consider that a bad thing. I think he blends well.
I felt the same, but I was more indifferent vs. dislike. One thing I'm really liking about this game so far is that the team is making me really like characters I either had no opinion of (Pac-man, Mega Man) or outright despised. (Rosalina, Little Mac, Mii) Kudos.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
He's cute and looks fun. What can I say?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm so hyped that they went with the Pac-Man World design and the stage is based on Pac-Land. So, are you glad to be proved wrong because Pac-Man is so awesome! :awesome:
Yeah, it seems like Pac Land was what he was based off of. His jumping for one. And the boots. That and some classic Pac-Man stuff. Thank god they used a good design for this. I'm OK with this.

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
I had never understood why there was so much opposition to Pac-Man in the first place. He was pretty much the first true video game character, he seemed like a good fit for a game that's all about celebrating video game characters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I was right.

This is exactly how I saw him; 3d design, pacman eyes, transforming into old pacman for some moves, giant eating final smash, throwing fruits.

Glory.

onjai_x3

Smash Cadet
NNID
onjai_x3
I was wrong about his moveset. I wanted the concept to be like a Namco version of Mr.G&W (pulling out stuff from retro games), but I thought they would ruin him somehow. Glad I was wrong. Surprised that I got my wish.

Top Bottom