• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

D

Deleted member

I've been saving my 3000th post for a special occasion, this definitely is one of those moments. Time for an overly long post!

First up, it was strange that Pac-Man for a good hour wasn't officially revealed, I think most people last night would've seen him revealed on Twitter. It was funny being on the Nintendo of America Twitter page and all of a sudden, "Pac-Man is in Smash!" pops up. No one even knew if he was in his Ghostly Adventures or classic attire, let alone his moveset.

After so much anxious waiting, I finally got to see that reveal trailer and I could not be happier how they went about it. The yellow in red, blue and yellow, RBY - the make-up of video games as they're known today.

Sakurai did an excellent job choosing the absolute perfect Pac-Man to use. I recall in the thread, we had a fake very similar to the final version, we all had assumed the classic was too old, but largely agreed it was the best. Just compare the two and the only real difference, in my perspective, is that ours is slightly lankier, whereas in Smash Bros Pac-Man is pretty small. That's only because the base model was a taller Pac-Man.

It's hard for me not to love just about everything that was done here, right down to the classic Pac-Man being his series icon and the 8-bit poster. We got the maze stage we all wanted, we got some positively bizarre, but very fun looking retro props and minions for his set. I could never have predicted, for example, the fire hydrants in the moveset. This is par for the course in Smash Bros for retros, if you look at G&W or ROB, but this is really wacky. I personally can't wait to get my hands on Pac-Man to try him out, hopefully we get some trickles of information in the mean time on how it all works.

I also love Pac-Man's expressive, carefree grin - that has to be the biggest smile in Smash Bros. This represents exactly what I wanted out of Pac-Man in Smash Bros, bringing that 80s optimism and happiness to the game, to a new generation of players. I think this happy-go-lucky attitude sums up a lot of what fans love about the character and his games. At the same time, this simple character has a deliriously complex moveset full of all kinds of crazy business. I love it!

It has been my pleasure and honor running this support thread, full of the most devoted Pac-Man fans. We've all had a fun journey from the early days where Pac-Man was a dirty word, up to now, where Sakurai has managed to convert most of the player base to liking the character. I certainly had my fun doing a small bit for the support thread.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Congrats everyone! Pac-Man looks great. Despite never really posting here, I always supported his inclusion and can gladly say he's the second newcomer I'm looking forward to playing as behind Palutena.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
French tears are exquisite, no?
More like "French tears are exquisite, hon hon hon!"

Awesome post, @Smash Daddy. This is what we've all bee waiting for and it finally happened. We get our character in Smash!

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Okay, that taunt(?) where he lays on the ground with ghosts swirling around him was hilarious.

Also, dat Kirby Hat:

D

Deleted member

Is this the thread where I congratulate you guys?
Good thing Sakurai chose THE REAL Pac-Man and not that abomination from Ghostly Adventures, he did a great job at his moveset too, I love the 8-bit references

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
You know what, I'm just going to ask.

What exactly wrong with Pac's modern(Party/Ghostly Adventures) design? Ugh, the complaints are just as bad and the complaint about Sonic having green eyes.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

What exactly wrong with Pac's modern(Party/Ghostly Adventures) design? Ugh, the complaints are just as bad and the complaint about Sonic having green eyes.
A lot of people, including me, think it's ugly. Especially in comparison to a design that worked for Pac-Man for years.

But i respect others opinion if they like the new one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think that the new design is just terrible, Pac-Man looks stupid with it, I don't think I can explain it aside from making Pac-Man look stupid, I guess it's the same thing with Roidley

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Here is something I pointed out in Pacster's move-set thread for people who are iffy on the S Flag assists

I did notice that all of Pacster's retro summons and items have a black outline to them:

But retro characters from the S Flag do not have the outline meaning that they are probably their own thing and not from Pac:

Here is another example; On the left the ghosts that wander around the stage have no outline meaning that they are probably an assist from the S Flag and on the right you see Pac using a ghost for an attack and it clearly has the black outline:

That means not all retro characters come form Pac and the S Flag can still summon assists

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
A lot of people, including me, think it's ugly. Especially in comparison to a design that worked for Pac-Man for years.

But i respect others opinion if they like the new one.
So, Pac-Man has detailed eyes, fingers, sneakers and actual expressions and emotions? Isn't that what people want for a character to "evolved?"

Mickey Mouse and Sonic the Hedgehog went through the same development throughout generations and did society complained?

...oh, wait... they did.

...and no one will accept a Mega Man that goes beyond 8-Bit.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
So, Pac-Man has detailed eyes, fingers, sneakers and actual expressions and emotions? Isn't that what people want for a character to "evolved?"

Mickey Mouse and Sonic the Hedgehog went through the same development throughout generations and did society complained?

...oh, wait... they did.

...and no one will accept a Mega Man that goes beyond 8-Bit.
and is there anything bad about it

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The simplicity of the World-era design is very appealing to many, but I do think the Party design and the saturated Ghostly Adventures design are pretty good.

I hope that one of them is an alternate costume.

Staarih

Smash Master
Yay at Pac-Mans reveal trailer gaining more views than Palutena's! Not that it's a competition or anything.

yeah right.

Last edited:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I admit. I was against Pac-Man just as long as I could remember but he really isn't so bad. Congrats to the Pac-Man supporters. I kind of wish I joined the group.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Admittedly, Pac-Man wasn’t ever extremely high on my want list, as I have not a played a game of his since Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures on the SNES. So I was more hoping for something from a different Namco series though I know well enough that’s a problem with me and less to do with Pac-Man himself. I have no idea what his more recent games have been like to even begin to entertain the idea that I can possibly pretend to know how deserving he is or not, so I won’t.

Looking at Pac-Man strictly from his Trailer and Pictures. Yes I consider it good and acceptable in my opinion. His moveset seems pretty unique even though I cannot reference everything he does in his set. He is iconic and I believe will be a solid enough of a character regardless of my initial apathy about the character.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
The simplicity of the World-era design is very appealing to many, but I do think the Party design and the saturated Ghostly Adventures design are pretty good.

Honestly I think his eyes look kinda creepy, and the details added to his shoes are a little unnecessary.

I don't like it when game companies try to over-complicate their character designs. That's one of the primary reasons I like Classic Mega Man more than his other iterations: they kept him plain and simple.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Honestly I think his eyes look kinda creepy, and the details added to his shoes are a little unnecessary.

I don't like it when game companies try to over-complicate their character designs. That's one of the primary reasons I like Classic Mega Man more than his other iterations: they kept him plain and simple.
Even the Party design? I find his blue eyes there rather charming.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

I'm sure at least one will be an alt.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I lost my **** when I heard the remix of ****ing Pac-Man's Park from Pac-Mania in the trailer. I was certain a Pac-Man trailer would have a funky remix of the intro jingle and cutscene music from the original, ala Brawl's Donkey Kong remixes, but instead I heard a remix of my favorite Pac-Man song. I was in bliss. <333

Now we just need Pac-Man Arrangement music and we are golden.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Even the Party design? I find his blue eyes there rather charming.
Something about the pizza-shaped eyes being incorporated into a circular shaped eye just bothers me. The designs aren't BAD, just inferior to what Smash Bros included, imo.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Something about the pizza-shaped eyes being incorporated into a circular shaped eye just bothers me. The designs aren't BAD, just inferior to what Smash Bros included, imo.
I understand that. I personally still prefer the older design (cause that's my Pac-Man), but I think the Party design specifically is charming.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I've been looking at his trailer again and again and, wow, I never really considered who my secondary main is going to be. Pac-Man's the one newcomer (other than Little Mac) who's really wowed me in how good they seem to play, and I like that he doesn't just represent himself, but the history of Namco.

So it looks like I'm going to main him alongside Charizard.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm really curious as to how The fire hydrant works. Does it shoot the water once, than become kickable? Or does the water shoot periodically? If it is just once, the move's main use is as a projectile. But if it shoots repeatedly, I could see it becoming a powerful area control tool.

Top Bottom