• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man Vs. : Matchup Discussion Thread- R.O.B. (Pac-MAN V.S Machine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
9 frames with an autocancel is "laggy"? Interesting. You also have to remember that ledge traps and key landing punishes (especially an item tossed key) are a thing. I would also take dire hydrant to this matchup since it stops her approaches so well.

I'm not giving a ratio because this matchup isn't fully discussed yet
About the dire Hydrant in this match up. Something to be mindful of that this matchup in particular optimizes the need for sing Dire Hydrant sparingly. Unlike Mac or Falcon Shiek doesn't need to play offensively to be optimal, I don't think it's even the preferred playstyle for most Shieks. They're a lot more patient, and will hang at a range where they can simulatnously chose there spots to come in a hit you while at they sametime avoid of your attacks on reaction.

I do still think the Dire Hydrant is effective here. But you do need to use it differently than you're accustomed to. In this matchup it doesn't really restrict Shiek's offense so much as it simply gives Pacman another defensive tool.

BSP

Smash Legend
Are you sure that one match is enough? I want to explore this matchup more.

I don't want to believe that we get invalidated by the most common/best character in the game :crying:
No, I still need to study the MU more. Even then, 30:70 isn't too far-fetched. Think about it.

Sheik has mobility close to the likes of Sonic / Falcon / Fox but with 5000 times more safety, an airtight air game, and the ability to camp us back with a projectile should we choose our usual response vs. fast people (trampoline). I would say use hydrant to mess with her neutral, but that's where needles are still great and BF is a problem.

I'm going to keep trying in it, but it seems pretty bad now.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
@ Pacack Pacack Sheik is 30:70 for us. @ Nu~ Nu~ I had my doubts regarding Abadango's view of Pac-Man vs Sheik, but last weekend told me all I needed to learn on that MU. It's worth switching off.

Watch me vs Denti and you'll find campy sheik is no easier.
Hearing that from you, I'm willing to cement my rating of 65:35 from before.

It's not impossible, but it's hard.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I was at Ktar and I had two shieks, Pershado in winners and Local Lawz in losers.

Against Pershado I tried Dire Hydrant, it works just as well as I described earlier, but I no longer recommend in in this matchup. Since you have to use it so sparingly it just doesn't help you enough to deal with the mountain that is Shiek's neutral. I kept the second game pretty close on Castle Siege, I may have won it had I not received a very early KO for trying to hard punish when I had him in lag. Would have still been an uphill battle.

I was going to go Doc against Local Lawz in losers but when I realized his soaring tornado doesn't snap to the ledge I opted for 1112 Pacman instead. Granted Pershado is stronger than I am while Local Lawz is about my level this went much better for me an it's what I'm going to try from now on. I think the way to play the match is as if you're fighting a cross between Mario and Duck Hunt. Keep an On-fire Hydrant between you while you charge your fruit, it's very important to convince him that he simply cannot break your hydrant when he pleases key break it on his face whenever he attacks it. You do that twice or so and he'll learn better. Intercept him when he now tries to jump over the hydrant an obviously try it hit in the fire when you can. Don't try to grab her until she starts punishing everything you do on her shield, once she gets comfortable blocking then grab her, it'll ruin her decision tree. Played like this the matchup is extremely campy. The first two games we played both went time. Avoid flat stages, you want platforms to charge fruit and maneuver around Shiek. I won on Battlefield and Town and City, lost on Duck Hunt.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I was at Ktar and I had two shieks, Pershado in winners and Local Lawz in losers.

Against Pershado I tried Dire Hydrant, it works just as well as I described earlier, but I no longer recommend in in this matchup. Since you have to use it so sparingly it just doesn't help you enough to deal with the mountain that is Shiek's neutral. I kept the second game pretty close on Castle Siege, I may have won it had I not received a very early KO for trying to hard punish when I had him in lag. Would have still been an uphill battle.

I was going to go Doc against Local Lawz in losers but when I realized his soaring tornado doesn't snap to the ledge I opted for 1112 Pacman instead. Granted Pershado is stronger than I am while Local Lawz is about my level this went much better for me an it's what I'm going to try from now on. I think the way to play the match is as if you're fighting a cross between Mario and Duck Hunt. Keep an On-fire Hydrant between you while you charge your fruit, it's very important to convince him that he simply cannot break your hydrant when he pleases key break it on his face whenever he attacks it. You do that twice or so and he'll learn better. Intercept him when he now tries to jump over the hydrant an obviously try it hit in the fire when you can. Don't try to grab her until she starts punishing everything you do on her shield, once she gets comfortable blocking then grab her, it'll ruin her decision tree. Played like this the matchup is extremely campy. The first two games we played both went time. Avoid flat stages, you want platforms to charge fruit and maneuver around Shiek. I won on Battlefield and Town and City, lost on Duck Hunt.
Sounds good. Nice job man! How bad do you believe it is for us after your experience?

After fighting shieks like C3PO and SE105 on the ladder, I felt the matchup was around 40:60 in shiek's favor, but you have to play extremely defensive. Force shiek to approach you, and play the OoS game against her usual approaches. Strawberry is tailor made for SH approaches so I recommend using that fruit most of the time in this matchup.

Strawberry, Apple, orange, and key are the best fruit in this matchup IMO. All of them pass through needle camping very well and cover her usual approaches the best.
And I finally lost a set to a good shiek :(

Granted, I used mega man first (Learned that the matchup is around the impossible mark for mega man) and then took it to final stock on the final match with Pac-man but then lost to a bouncing fish read

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
60: 40 seems about right, but I'd like to play more Shieks using this style before I make an estimate

You hit the nail in the head about the Orange n Strawberry being great in this match up. At lower percents once you've convinced her not to break your hydrant you should keep this in your pocket to disrupt her needles I know from your hand you can punish her needles on reaction(Do the needles go through the fruit and still hit you? I can never remember)

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
60: 40 seems about right, but I'd like to play more Shieks using this style before I make an estimate

You hit the nail in the head about the Orange n Strawberry being great in this match up. At lower percents once you've convinced her not to break your hydrant you should keep this in your pocket to disrupt her needles I know from your hand you can punish her needles on reaction(Do the needles go through the fruit and still hit you? I can never remember)
Fruits absorb the needles unless she is using the shield eating ones (those are terrible anyway. They have far less range and damage)

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
Just so everyone knows, Abadango is convinced that this matchup is one of our worst, and will be using Wario when he encounters any notable Sheik players.

This is one of the few good examples of the matchup that I could find.

But I thought Shiek was one of WARIO'S worst match ups???

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Shiek is probably half the casts worse matchup honestly.

Tornado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEF5Tornado
Here's a video a friend showed me of his pac vs. shiek match (only game 1 was pac vs. shiek). Though I'm unconvinced this would play out with a normal shiek player. This guy just sits back the whole time and feels afraid to approach, throwing mostly needles. If you play shiek properly, there's almost no way on smashville that pacman should live to 190%+.

Last edited:

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
So to chime in, as I stated in the previous thread, I did switch mains, but rather then Fox or Falcon, I went and tried Shiek. Holy crap is she safe. I was able to get away with so much. Luckily for everyone, I played a few Pac-man's too.

Shiek's biggest weakness, is she cannot safely destroy hydrant in one hit. The only negative to that, if you spam it, she can and will punish you with a bair or Fair after baiting you. Her range wasnt as good as I originally thought. However, with some gameplay, I can see why Abandago switches. This is a very tough matchup. I was able to punish everything the other Pac players were using just by the nature of knowing the character so well. Needles while not stopping fruit completely, actually shorten their range. I was able to cancel out long range oranges with full charge needles. I was also able to grab fruit very fast out of shield and zdrop fair repeatedly to keep their fruit options limited.

Because of the low recovery on most of her moves, it is very hard to pin down Shiek with a kill move, even with Key, I was not really worried about it. I was not hit with it,

I know that before I said previously that this matchup was even, but now experiencing the other side, I cannot agree with that assessment anymore. If they know the character, you are in for a world of hurt. This matchup is closer to 60:40 imo.

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
Honestly i may just pick someone up as a pocket suited to play sheik and call it a day, im legit comfortable IN EVERY SINGLE MU but sheik. Sheik just has such good mobility, we honestly cant keep up with her speed at times. At this point ima keep using pac-man in tourneys and try to get him as far as possible, and if that means switching to zss to fight one sheik, well ima just have to do it lol, Honestly i think we should all have someone just for the match up, if we lose game 1 switch over.

BSP

Smash Legend
60:40 is generous @ Firedemon0 Firedemon0 . Sonic feels like 60:40 to me. Sheik is on a whole different level.

I'd recommend switching to someone else. Sheik (and peach, but that's personal) is the only character(s) that pressure me to switch off of Pac-Man.

NGulfViper

Smash Rookie
OH... Well then. On another custom note isn't the powerful up-B (stronger one first then weaker) good for recovery and Oos punishes?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
OH... Well then. On another custom note isn't the powerful up-B (stronger one first then weaker) good for recovery and Oos punishes?
You mean the Power Pac Jump (the one that only gives one jump?)

Yeah, that's a pretty good recovery and a good damage racker on the already powerful OoS-move that's Trampoline.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
You mean the Power Pac Jump (the one that only gives one jump?)

Yeah, that's a pretty good recovery and a good damage racker on the already powerful OoS-move that's Trampoline.
I can only imagine it's useful on Halbred, Delifino or some other stage with a tiny cealing.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I can only imagine it's useful on Halbred, Delifino or some other stage with a tiny cealing.
Or a well placed bell

Even an up air string can lead into it. Great for offensive pacman players (and excellent against greninja since he doesn't care about trampoline, and is a fast faller that gets comboed into this easily)

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Or a well placed bell

Even an up air string can lead into it. Great for offensive pacman players (and excellent against greninja since he doesn't care about trampoline, and is a fast faller that gets comboed into this easily)
Feh I could show you some outlandish things with enticing pellet in training mode as well. If its not something you can be confident in landing in a real match then its not worth much consideration imo.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Feh I could show you some outlandish things with enticing pellet in training mode as well. If its not something you can be confident in landing in a real match then its not worth much consideration imo.
But you can. Just DITCIT past the person and utilt them. It was the first day I conjured up the combo so I didn't test it in a match yet :p

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Before I say anything about the MU itself, be wary that my stance on what needs to happen with Shiek and my view of the MU have very little to do with one another. In fact, the changes I want to see to her would probably affect our MU with her less than most. I just want to see a balanced metagame that isn't centered around beating 1-2 characters, AKA not end up like Brawl.

As for how we do in this MU... IDK. I'm still on the fence.

On one hand, everything I've ever said about this MU still seems to hold true:

-Hydrant blocks needles, allowing us to safely charge from afar and launch hydrant instantly if she does needle it. Fruits also beat needles. This is especially important since like us, she can't go instantly from charge to shield and has to go through neutral stance first, meaning key at some ranges can punish a needle charge on reaction.

-Trampoline OoS does put a hamper on her relentless pressure, and Fair at the range where jab follow ups would normally lock you in shield become unsafe. Also having a trampoline out means that shiek can no longer run up and grab, taking out a significant neutral game option for her. On the flip side, safe Dairs and Bouncing Fishes. Also cancelable grenade tosses by doing it above the trampoline.

-Side B to the ledge behind her when she recovers to punish her UpB. She is just as vulnerable to our ledge trap shenanigans as everyone else as well.

-Fruits help us a lot in the neutral game, but be careful of using them. If she grabs our fruit she can needle camp us for all of eternity.

-Once we have pressure on her, we can maintain it fairly well and combo her pretty well.

-We punish her in general more consistently than most characters.

HOWEVER from playing several good Shieks, I have learned a few other things:

-Shiek is still Shiek, and by that I mean that despite the fact that we may punish her more than most characters, she is still ridiculously safe, and a good Shiek will make it very hard to get a punish.

-While we have tools to help us in the neutral, Shiek still dominates it with her superior range and her lack of hurtboxes on a lot of moves mean that we are not going to be trading with her often, if at all.

-Hydrant will not help us escape juggles/get back to the ground. Uair beats it, and Vanish gives no ****s with that complete invincibility thing it has going on.

-While we can camp Shiek, all it takes is her catching one fruit for her to dominate the zoning war. Similarly while we can rush her down fairly effectively, she can outspace us with Fairs if she maintains good spacing, can wall us out until she gets an opening for a grab, which leads to a lot of guaranteed damage.
Now with smart fruit placement and good use of our normals, we can break this wall, but the risk/reward is never in our favor in the neutral game unless we get a stock lead.
If you DO get a stock lead, I would suggest at some point camping in front of the right side glitched hydrant. None of her moves can instantly break it, and if you are standing close enough to it, any attempt to attack you will either lose to or clash with the glitched hydrant. If she clashes with it, you get a free punish during her clash animation.

-It is incredibly hard to gimp Shiek. TBH you're better off setting up a ledge trap.

-While we have the ability to rack damage faster than most characters in the game, Shiek is going to be getting damage much more easily and consistently in this MU if she gets even a single grab or air-to-air Fair.

I used to think this MU was in our favor because of the first section of comments I just put up. The more I play it though the more I feel it is in Shiek's favor.
That said this MU is still definitely winnable and TBH whenever I lose to a Shiek I just feel I was outplayed and lost to the player, not the character.

Last edited:

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
Before I say anything about the MU itself, be wary that my stance on what needs to happen with Shiek and my view of the MU have very little to do with one another. In fact, the changes I want to see to her would probably affect our MU with her less than most. I just want to see a balanced metagame that isn't centered around beating 1-2 characters, AKA not end up like Brawl.

As for how we do in this MU... IDK. I'm still on the fence.

On one hand, everything I've ever said about this MU still seems to hold true:

-Hydrant blocks needles, allowing us to safely charge from afar and launch hydrant instantly if she does needle it. Fruits also beat needles. This is especially important since like us, she can't go instantly from charge to shield and has to go through neutral stance first, meaning key at some ranges can punish a needle charge on reaction.

-Trampoline OoS does put a hamper on her relentless pressure, and Fair at the range where jab follow ups would normally lock you in shield become unsafe. Also having a trampoline out means that shiek can no longer run up and grab, taking out a significant neutral game option for her. On the flip side, safe Dairs and Bouncing Fishes. Also cancelable grenade tosses by doing it above the trampoline.

-Side B to the ledge behind her when she recovers to punish her UpB. She is just as vulnerable to our ledge trap shenanigans as everyone else as well.

-Fruits help us a lot in the neutral game, but be careful of using them. If she grabs our fruit she can needle camp us for all of eternity.

-Once we have pressure on her, we can maintain it fairly well and combo her pretty well.

-We punish her in general more consistently than most characters.

HOWEVER from playing several good Shieks, I have learned a few other things:

-Shiek is still Shiek, and by that I mean that despite the fact that we may punish her more than most characters, she is still ridiculously safe, and a good Shiek will make it very hard to get a punish.

-While we have tools to help us in the neutral, Shiek still dominates it with her superior range and her lack of hurtboxes on a lot of moves mean that we are not going to be trading with her often, if at all.

-Hydrant will not help us escape juggles/get back to the ground. Uair beats it, and Vanish gives no ****s with that complete invincibility thing it has going on.

-While we can camp Shiek, all it takes is her catching one fruit for her to dominate the zoning war. Similarly while we can rush her down fairly effectively, she can outspace us with Fairs if she maintains good spacing, can wall us out until she gets an opening for a grab, which leads to a lot of guaranteed damage.
Now with smart fruit placement and good use of our normals, we can break this wall, but the risk/reward is never in our favor in the neutral game unless we get a stock lead.
If you DO get a stock lead, I would suggest at some point camping in front of the right side glitched hydrant. None of her moves can instantly break it, and if you are standing close enough to it, any attempt to attack you will either lose to or clash with the glitched hydrant. If she clashes with it, you get a free punish during her clash animation.

-It is incredibly hard to gimp Shiek. TBH you're better off setting up a ledge trap.

-While we have the ability to rack damage faster than most characters in the game, Shiek is going to be getting damage much more easily and consistently in this MU if she gets even a single grab or air-to-air Fair.

I used to think this MU was in our favor because of the first section of comments I just put up. The more I play it though the more I feel it is in Shiek's favor.
That said this MU is still definitely winnable and TBH whenever I lose to a Shiek I just feel I was outplayed and lost to the player, not the character.
I think that its just my lack of mu experience honestly, im trying my best to play a bunch of sheiks and make it so I have hours of practice against her. Ill see if i can get a ton of notes for my matches.

Tornado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEF5Tornado
Shiek can gimp pacman quite easily with her needles. When you are recovering, you have to go very VERY low with your side+B or else her needles WILL hit it and leave you with a long trampoline jump to make that a good shiek will definitely punish.

A lot of times, pacman get away winning with his pacman antics. But when you're playing a really good shiek, just placing trampolines and hydrants is not going to really do too much for you... When Shiek comes at you with fairs as Shieks loves to do, you need to hit her in the face consistantly with a bair before her fair connects to show the other player that you mean business in the neutral game.

That being said, Shiek will always be Shiek and with really good players, it only seems like a matter of time before you slip up once and you get fair into fair into fair into bouncing fish and then one down throw to up-air confirm death. Pacman is not getting buffed anytime soon so dealing with high level Shieks will almost always be a nightmare.

I hate to say this as well, but there's a reason why Abadango didn't bring out the Pacman in Top 8 this year at EVO. He used his Wario for most of Top 8 (including one game as Rosalina & Luma). I'm certainly not trying to suggest that it is impossible to win a high level tournament as Pacman. I'm just saying that the hill to climb gets so exponentially steeper because matchups against the best of shieks out there can feel like a 20:80 a lot of the time for Pacman.

I will be competing at Super Smash Con in less than 2 weeks I've sort of come to the realization that Abadango probably came to after he went through APEX 100% pacman. It's probably best to have a secondary because Pacman just gets slaughtered by certain opponents. Unfortunately for me, 11 days is not enough time for me to get really good at a new character as a secondary and I still don't know who I would be for this matchup :<

Last edited:

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Shiek doesn't gimp Pac with needles... not from what I've seen?

With that said it's still gotta be one of our worse matchups, because Shiek punishes everything and its hard for us. 30:70

What I've found is that the apple has been a more reliable KO than the key. All shieks I play now are expecting the key. They get DEFENSIVE at like 140% so they charge needles. When I jump and charge apple the opposite direction -> they charge needles. So when I release an apple she's dead at 140%.

What we do have going for us is it's hard for Shiek to KO and you HAVE to hit Pac Man with KO moves to beat him. If you can stay away from the grab it's difficult for her to finish us off and we can chip away

Just my two cents. I'll write more a little later

Last edited:

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
She LITERALLY does. I can assure you I have first hand experience of this. Her needles WILL hit our side+B if the player thinks to do it and aims it well.
I must agree - Shieks needles can hit Pac's Power Pellet, thus preventing him from using it, but in theory, I have to say this - wouldn't Pac be able to use Power Pellet again if he actually did get hit by at least one of them? Besides, it's not really a gimp but moreso an attempt of edgeguarding, as Pac still has his Trampoline.

Tornado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEF5Tornado
I must agree - Shieks needles can hit Pac's Power Pellet, thus preventing him from using it, but in theory, I have to say this - wouldn't Pac be able to use Power Pellet again if he actually did get hit by at least one of them? Besides, it's not really a gimp but moreso an attempt of edgeguarding, as Pac still has his Trampoline.
Pacman only gets one use of side+B per jump chain. While getting hit by the needle would theoretically reset the chain and allow us to use side+B again, the pellets will always be in front of you like a shield and take the force of all the needles that get thrown.

While the trampoline is still a thing, it's highly probable that when her needles hit our side+B, you're not exactly close to the edge... Thus, you will probably be needing the at least the 2nd trampoline bounce, possibly the 3rd trampoline bounce. In either case, the Sheik has an easy target when you try to go the long horizontal distance back to the stage, or the opponent will just steal your last trampoline bounce rendering you completely screwed.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I am going to try out Roy the next time I have Shiek in bracket. Hate that matchup with Pacman.

Megamon

Smash Cadet
She LITERALLY does. I can assure you I have first hand experience of this. Her needles WILL hit our side+B if the player thinks to do it and aims it well.
I just had a Sheik try to do this to me at a weekly and knew what she was planning right when she started just standing there while I was way far from the stage. Either she was gonna fail for the upteenth time in trying to bf me, or go for some sort of needle snipe to hinder my pellet recovery. Waited until I was at a safe distance, then initiated it. Had I not done that, yes, I would have been gimped. Sheik is a menace.

Megamon

Smash Cadet
Moving on from the sheik discussion, it's time to move on to the next top tier...
FOX!!
Oh, and good. Fox needs to be analyzed. Not as scary w/o jlock. Though the one's I've faced so far seem to still do well. They got shine back, but it doesn't scare Pacman.

Megamon

Smash Cadet
I am going to try out Roy the next time I have Shiek in bracket. Hate that matchup with Pacman.
I got lucky and bested one because hydrant pushed her off the stage while the guy was trying to load needles. Had a brain screw up and sd'd...twice in one set. Other than that, I was actually holding my own, and then some. Fair came out quicker than the guy controlling Sheik probably expected, so I got some nice combos because off of it. Won 2-0, but lost the following match to a Sonic :/

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I got lucky and bested one because hydrant pushed her off the stage while the guy was trying to load needles. Had a brain screw up and sd'd...twice in one set. Other than that, I was actually holding my own, and then some. Fair came out quicker than the guy controlling Sheik probably expected, so I got some nice combos because off of it. Won 2-0, but lost the following match to a Sonic :/
Have you watched my or PeePeeSpain's recent vids against Sonic. If you're not playing the match like that then you're doing it wrong.

Megamon

Smash Cadet
Have you watched my or PeePeeSpain's recent vids against Sonic. If you're not playing the match like that then you're doing it wrong.
Yeah, but it was mostly because the other player is better than me. Nothing I can really do about it except keep playing and getting better all around.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Yeah, but it was mostly because the other player is better than me. Nothing I can really do about it except keep playing and getting better all around.
You sure about that? I thought a Sonic player at our local was better than me until I started playing the matchup correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom