• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oxnard Smash Presents: A Brawl/Melee Tournament (12/13/09)

Charoo

Smash Champion
Oxnard Smash
December 13, 2009

I'm just posting this for Bigfoot and Pat. Every1 should go and support it!
AIB: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=7537

Venue
Name: Cafe on A
Address: 438 S. A Street Oxnard, California, United States 93030

Registration
Same for Brawl AND Melee

Singles - 8$ pot 2$ venue, 10$ total
Doubles - 5$ per player 10$ per team
Bring A Setup and get 5$ off registration

Payouts

For BOTH games

1st place: 55%
2nd place: 30%
3rd Place: 10%
4th Place: 5%

schedule:
Doubles will begin at 12:30
Singles will start after doubles gets down to loser's semis

Rules

Melee
Melee:

•4 stock
•2/3 sets
•3/5 semifinals+finals
•8 minute time limit
•Items off
•Ties broken by lives, then %
•Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime.
•Stage Knock Out: Each person may choose one stage to be disabled for the entire set, it must be chosen at the beginning of the set, after initial characters are chosen.
•Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or select to go random. The winner may then change their character, followed by the loser.
•Bring your own controller
•Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
•Team Attack will be ON
•Life stealing allowed

Neutrals 1v1:

FD
Yoshis
Dreamland
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

Neutrals 2v2:

FD
Yoshis
Dreamland
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks 1v1:

Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks 2v2:

Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

Stage Striking will be in effect for the first match of the set. The player with the lower port will get to choose the first strike. Loser choses ban before next match.

One ban per player per set. To be chosen after loss.

Modified DSR: You cannot go back to the last stage you won in a set, unless agreed upon by the other player.

The player choice clause!:: If both players agree to a rule outside of my ruleset, feel free to play by that. If one player wants to counterpick Mute City and the other player is fine with that because they think it's a fair stage, then that is more than fine. However in the event the two players disagree, house rules stand.

Brawl
.::Singles/Doubles Rules::.
Stock: 3
Time: 7 mins
Format: Double-Elimination
Sets: Best of Three
Items:set too off and none
Team stealing is allowed

Available Stages
* Battlefield
* Smashville
* Final Destination
* Yoshi's Island
* Pokemon Stadium 1

Counter-Picks
* Delfino Plaza
* Battleship Halberd
* Frigate Orpheon
* Castle Siege
* Lylat Cruise
* Jungle Japes
* Rainbow Cruise
* Brinstar
* Norfair

(1) Controller slots are agreed upon (randomly if need be).
(2) Character selection is done "Double Blind". Any player may instead choose a character before the opponent and skip Double Blind.
(3) Stage Select is determined by Elimination Method (see 'Stage Select - First Round', below).

- Round 2 -
(1) Winner of the Previous match bans a stage from the list of stages. Loser of the previous round announces the stage to be played - you may not choose a stage on which you have already won.
(2) Winner of the previous round selects character.
(3) Loser of the previous round selects character.
(4) Stage is highlighted by the previous round's loser, and started by the previous round's winner.

Repeat 1-4 for each additional round played.
Players alternate choosing a stage to "eliminate" from the list of available stages, starting with the player with the controller slot closest to #1. The last stage remaining is used for the first round of the set.

* Grand Finals will be "Best of Five", with the player coming from Elimination Bracket needing to win two sets to take first place.

* In case of time-out, the winner is the player with the most stock. In case of tied stock, the winner is determined by lowest damage percent. In case of a tie in stock AND percent, a 1 stock, two minute match will be played out on an agreed neutral stage.

*If someone kills by locking in a suicide move such as ganondorf flame choke or bowser bomb the person who initiated the move wins. In the case oh a Swallowcide from DDD or Kirby, or a "Wario-cide", the game determines the winner, with a tie going to the one who initiated the move.

*Standing Infinites are banned. Ice Climbers grabs are allowed. Wall infinites allowed.

*Ledge grab rule: If opponent exceeds 30 ledge grabs, he/she loses that round. Please check stats if suspected. Note, Ice Climbers are given a grace of 50 ledge grabs, as each grab may count as two for them, meaning they could be dq'd for 15 ledge grabs otherwise. This rule only applies in case of a time out.

* In case of technical problems (e.g. power outage) the round will be replayed, do not start from damage percent or stock lost.

Hoorah!

Adam M!

Smash Lord
brawl/melee tournies are really not worth it i'm starting to see

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
singles $8
venue $2

teams $5 per
venue $0

setup -$5

doesnt add up, unless theyre taking from the pot

edit:
Melee pricings up to pat
venue will be used to fill in for people who brought setups

still doesn't add up

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
singles $8
venue $2

teams $5 per
venue $0

setup -$5

doesnt add up, unless theyre taking from the pot

edit:
Melee pricings up to pat
venue will be used to fill in for people who brought setups

still doesn't add up
2 dollar venue will apply even if you don't sign up for singles (it's a one time charge basically). venue is going to be used to fill in the pot for people who brought setups. if the pot is still short after adding in the venue, I'll fill in the difference out of my pocket.

unless half the people going bring setups, the venue should cover fine, since you save 5 dollars total, which means you don't pay venue and save 3 dollars on something else. lets say 12 people bring setups and 35 people show (hoping for way more than 30 though)

12 people get 3 dollars off entry into the pot and don't pay venue, so the pot is short 36$

the other 23 people paid venue, which means I have 46$ to use to fill in the pot for people who brought setups. That should work out fine.

I'm not sure about melee, but for brawl it usually winds up with about one in three people bringing a setup (up to a certain point, usually we cap at about 12 setups unless a whole lot of people come, i.e. 100+)

Adam M!

Smash Lord
would you explain why?
common sense really: tournament takes too long, likely discourages other people from going who otherwise might, lack of organization, etc.

but mostly taking too long. seriously, melee tournaments are run so poorly in socal, i'm just sick and tired of showing up at 11 and not being done til 8 when there is no reason everything couldn't be completed by 5 at the latest

edit: you could say these are a problem with melee tournaments in general, i would say it's a much larger problem at brawl/melee combinations

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
It's true.

I find it funny how Smash tourneys start so early and finish so late. The SF4 ranbat tournaments held at AI starts at around 3 - 4 and finishes within four to five hours with 40+ entrants. And they only have ONE Arcade setup.

Smash tournaments should not take as long as they do considering the amount of setups we usually have.

mio

Smash Ace
Although I'm not organizing this tournament, I'll definitely speak in it's defense.

This tournament is formatted almost identically to the original Oxnard Brawl/Melee tournament (but it doesn't get the title because I still plan to organize Oxnard 2 this spring/summer). Pat is running melee, Bigfoot is running Brawl. Two separate tourneys with separate organizers. When you go to all other Brawl & Melee tournaments, it's usually a staff of 3 or 4 guys that are all switching off trying to organize everything from a single station. And when they should be calling out matches, they're counting cash and other time-wasting bull**** that organizers do to seem busy and overwhelmed. I agree that most smash tournament organizers (sans Neal, Champ and Aesis) suck balls at running their tournaments so I can understand how much worse it might seem with 2 games in one venue.

But with this tournament, it will be very similar to Oxnard 1, in that both tournaments will be able to run simultaneously without one getting in the way of the other. If I remember correctly, last time Melee had about 36 entrants, started at noon and finished no later than 6:30pm. For doubles, singles, and the fact that Brawl was dominating the venue, I think this is an extremely reasonable time frame. While I can't guarantee an exact situation like that for this tournament (since I'm not running anything), I can tell you that it's very likely because Pat and Sam are great organizers. There's also a plenty of room in the venue and a slightly lower amount of expected entrants, which means that brackets should run that much faster. Support this tourney and I'm sure it will **** just like the first Oxnard.

Noble-

Smash Ace
Although I'm not organizing this tournament, I'll definitely speak in it's defense.

This tournament is formatted almost identically to the original Oxnard Brawl/Melee tournament (but it doesn't get the title because I still plan to organize Oxnard 2 this spring/summer). Pat is running melee, Bigfoot is running Brawl. Two separate tourneys with separate organizers. When you go to all other Brawl & Melee tournaments, it's usually a staff of 3 or 4 guys that are all switching off trying to organize everything from a single station. And when they should be calling out matches, they're counting cash and other time-wasting bull**** that organizers do to seem busy and overwhelmed. I agree that most smash tournament organizers (sans Neal, Champ and Aesis) suck balls at running their tournaments so I can understand how much worse it might seem with 2 games in one venue.

But with this tournament, it will be very similar to Oxnard 1, in that both tournaments will be able to run simultaneously without one getting in the way of the other. If I remember correctly, last time Melee had about 36 entrants, started at noon and finished no later than 6:30pm. For doubles, singles, and the fact that Brawl was dominating the venue, I think this is an extremely reasonable time frame. While I can't guarantee an exact situation like that for this tournament (since I'm not running anything), I can tell you that it's very likely because Pat and Sam are great organizers. There's also a plenty of room in the venue and a slightly lower amount of expected entrants, which means that brackets should run that much faster. Support this tourney and I'm sure it will **** just like the first Oxnard.
Only if I have a ride there.

LOL

mio

Smash Ace
Man this is YOUR tourney wtf! It's not easy clearing this venue for smash tournaments (where we let you use the venue FOR FREE and you get to keep your venue fees). The melee community <3's you and 818 is like central socal, I'm sure you can find a ride within 2.5 weeks if you try hard enough. I don't want to be an *** but either be there, have the organizer spot covered or don't plan events at this venue in the future!

If nobody really cares about melee being at this tournament then that's fine it doesn't matter to me, just let me know in advance so I can cancel it. Otherwise a handful of melee players will be driving all the way out to South Oxnard for some friendlies.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
i'll go if the next couple of weeks make me believe pat's gonna run a good tourny / turnout looks good

DJMirror

Smash Master
**** wobbling

It's not that bad but sure keep wobbling on cuz fly and azn lep is the only ic in so cal i think

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
Perfect timing, I'll definitely be going to this!

Last Oxnard tourney was great

DJMirror

Smash Master
Can irvine sleep over at 805?

it'll be me (maybe) Kira, MacD, Zhu and Connor? I'm trying to get the day off as much as i can so i can go to this!

If not i'll drive on saturday morning.

Lovage

Smash Hero
accepting all teams money matches vs. me and s2j

also accepting ssb64 money matches if any brawl players want to get destroyed

Top Bottom