• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overture - Vancouver, BC - September 27th - 9/27/08

unityole

Smash Lord
seriously prince of fire, whats with this posting stuff about other crap into people's tournament thread? if u like melee then GO TO UBC and tell them in person, dont even post here, thats just annoying.

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
So who from the regular SFU tournaments is going to go? So far i've talked to some of the organizers and they said that they have about 6 TV's but only 4 setups so it would be great if ppl could bring extra setups ect. A few extra TV's couldn't hurt either. From what i gathered today they had about 10+ people interested and thats after the first day of clubs week (which is 3 days long wed-fri) There should be a list coming up soon about all the players that are maybe's and confirmed

Zero_P

Smash Ace
HEY

Change singles entry to $10 plz
Also 70/20/10 isn't the best way to go about it.
60/30/10 is best
MAYBE have doubles be $10 per person as well...but $5 is fine

dieslow

Smash Ace
"Singles Fee - $5 per person
Doubles Fee - $5 per person"

thats pretty weak o_O, $10 for singles and doubles is pretty much the standard. first place would take like what? around $40-50? 3rd place wouldnt even make their money back lol

also, 2nd place gets ripped off too in a 70/20/10. it's a very uneven split, considering first makes over 3x more than 2nd place. i'd suggest 60/30/10.

-SinfuL-

Smash Rookie
So far, I have 10 confirmed people; however, I'm almost sure that there will be at the very least 20-30 people coming.

Also, per talking with TwilightShadow, I have changed a few things regarding the registration, such as it now being
10 per person in singles and 10 per team in doubles.

EDIT: For the list of names that are guaranteed attending, CLICK ON THE REG LINK. It provides you with a list of absolutely confirmed players. There have been approx. 10 un-signed people who were interested.

Fox Machine

Smash Journeyman
Like some people have said before, this is the first tournament of the year at UBC, and I expect there to be a lot of people drawn towards the tournament during Club Week who just want to "test" their skills. So raising the price to $10 could scare them off and decrease the total pot size.

I'll probably bring a Melee setup (no TV though) for casuals.

Zero_P: 50-70 ppl lol

Clouderz

Smash Ace
until someone says this specific line: "we have exacly 20 or more people confirmed" i will not be coming
=)

-SinfuL-

Smash Rookie
I'm getting mixed views from people; some are for $5 per person, while others are up for $10 per person.

PERSONALLY, I think $5 per person is enough; however, I know there are some people who disagree. I'll put it as $5 per person and $10 per team as originally thought; if there are ANY objections, I will address them the day of the tournament.

Also, as a professional gamer myself, I'm simply getting tired of people saying that UBC is too far; it's NOT a valid excuse to not attend a tournament (unless, of course, transportation seems to be a big issue =P). If you have a dedication to your game, and are in it to play it to be the best, then you should be attending a tournament in your area.

Clouderz

Smash Ace
I'm getting mixed views from people; some are for $5 per person, while others are up for $10 per person.

PERSONALLY, I think $5 per person is enough; however, I know there are some people who disagree. I'll put it as $5 per person and $10 per team as originally thought; if there are ANY objections, I will address them the day of the tournament.

Also, as a professional gamer myself, I'm simply getting tired of people saying that UBC is too far; it's NOT a valid excuse to not attend a tournament (unless, of course, transportation seems to be a big issue =P). If you have a dedication to your game, and are in it to play it to be the best, then you should be attending a tournament in your area.

5$ = No thanks, dont expecting me their if its for 5 $

gg

-SinfuL-

Smash Rookie
People up to 14 so far.

For the record I'm taking my club into consideration as many of them are starving university students who don't really want to hand off $10 so they can figure out their skill level. Fox Machine is from my club so I know the measure of my members =)

unityole

Smash Lord
People up to 14 so far.

For the record I'm taking my club into consideration as many of them are starving university students who don't really want to hand off $10 so they can figure out their skill level. Fox Machine is from my club so I know the measure of my members =)
can I bring ssb64 setup and play with people there? anyone sitll plays that old shcool game?

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
why doesn't everyone just Vote that cares about the rules.
Option 1:
70-20-10
5$ singles per person
5$ doubles per person
Singles break then doubles

Option 2:
60-30-10
10$ singles per person
5$ doubles per person
Doubles break then singles

Option 3:
60-30-10
5$ singles
5$ doubles
Doubles break then singles

I will read the suggestions past this post as much as possible (aka starting page 6), and of course if attendees ask it in person
So far the vote is at:

Option 1: 1
Option 2: 3
Option 3: 1

Fox Machine

Smash Journeyman
So many complaints about pot size. Okay, I understand if you have a legitimate reason to complain about pot size (Adam, Tony) but for the rest of us who aren't exactly the most accomplished players, pot size shouldn't be the main factor in deciding what events to attend. You might argue and say that pot size correlates with the level of competition but this is a local tourney and C'MON IT'S BRAWL PPL.

Now I don't think there's much we can actually do about the total pot size. Sure you can jack the price up to $10-$20 but I highly doubt there would be any attendees outside of the regular BC crew, many of whom made it clear that UBC isn't the best location for a smashfest. Also, notice that for the hosts (the UBC CVGA), this start-of-year tourney is an opportunity to meet new members.

So yeah, I hope you all can make it. I remember last time Tiep and Eric showed up and we had an impromptu low-tier tourney. Mind you there was like no one there that time but I expect there to be a lot more people this time :)

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
ohhh i can probably come to this, but i dont get the whole registration thing, can i just pay cash for door fee / singles / doubles ? <.< oh yeah and i wanna know if this is gonna be a small dinky tourney XP
Yo, if u come to this, lets team clouderz.
You know I'm good at teams even though I don't play much ;)

Top Bottom