• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overcoming the challange #5: toonlink's projectiles

yoshq

Smash Master
if he had a projectile, I would still fire myself at it as opposed to air dodging or getting hit by it. if he was about to hit me, i would let the missile go, but normally a good player would be waiting for you to do the missile and punish you when you come near them. in that case, either let it go early, late, or do a small missile that won't get as close to them.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
I think people fall into the trap of just jump + cyclone right away too often. Don't underestimate the 'zap jump' luigi has on his missile, its actually pretty useful sometimes. If you learn to jumpless rising cyclone you will never get gimped... ever.
^This. To any other wiichuck users: try shaking you're wiimote while mashing b. I used to think that it was impossible to do a RJC with my index finger, but this helped me a lot. I can get a good amount of distance from it.

To be honest, I usually just use fireballs or f-air back on stage 70% of the time since it has a surprising amount of priority/speed. I usually use green missile far away from the stage if i'm out of jumps.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
^This. To any other wiichuck users: try shaking you're wiimote while mashing b. I used to think that it was impossible to do a RJC with my index finger, but this helped me a lot. I can get a good amount of distance from it.

To be honest, I usually just use fireballs or f-air back on stage 70% of the time since it has a surprising amount of priority/speed. I usually use green missile far away from the stage if i'm out of jumps.
I also use wiimote/chuck, I did not know that the shake smash could register as a special. Thanks for the info, I will do that now.

I usually recover towards the stage using little green missiles, but if i get a misfire all the better. After I am close to the stage depending on how low I am I either jump rising cyclone then up b to ledge or just go straight to the ledge with aerials/ fireballs.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
If I'm high above the stage and far away, I'd keep f-air'ing towards the stage then when I'm close enough I'd double jump onto the stage or fast fall towards the ledge.

If I'm just far away, I'd use small green missiles then double jump>Up-B. I'd like to keeep my cyclone ready just in case I get hit and my double jump > up-B won't cut it.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I think people fall into the trap of just jump + cyclone right away too often. Don't underestimate the 'zap jump' luigi has on his missile, its actually pretty useful sometimes. If you learn to jumpless rising cyclone you will never get gimped... ever.
Unless you're playing a cape happy Mario, which pretty much all of them are.

In general, if one does fight such a character, one has to be extra careful not to fall into predictable jump recoveries, especially the jump > cyclone as mentioned earlier. Even if Luigi can be gimped easily, his recoveries extend very far horizontally and vertically. Use that advantage and bait an enemy who thinks they can intercept a premature recovery. Always always sweetspot the edge when doing a torpedo, that being a given.

Oh hai guise.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Marth's f-air is easy to beat when walking towards him and psing. A well spaced b-air will either trade hits or get beaten. If the Marth doesn't short hop double f-air, tornado actually becomes a more viable approach option imo. Luigi doesn't really have much to counter it with. :(

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
you'll never beat a GOOD marth, because, the only way to beating Fair is baiting it, and good marths dont let it get baiten.

psing works. spaced bair works, sometimes tornado works. rolling is SOMETIMES a safe way to get out of it, but most marths try to bait that too.

realistically you can't really beat this move if your opponent is good, since its marth primary zoning tool.

BSP

Smash Legend
Luigi's best bet is a well spaced Bair, but there's not much he can do, especially if the Marth SH double Fairs. Like Hippie said, rolling works sometimes, but I wouldn't depend on it.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
Lol, so there really isn't nothing u can do basically... I'll change the challange in a min.

#5: toonlink's projectiles

Discuss

BSP

Smash Legend
Tink's projectiles are really annoying and are pretty hard to get by. He's got arrows, bombs, and the boomerang. His rate of fire will obviously beat luigi's FB, and he outranges them by a lot. If you consider z air a projectile, it's a problem as well.

Now, to overcome them. My first recommendation (and probably the best) would be to learn how to powershield the projectiles, since that gives you an opportunity to punish Tink if you are close enough (walk, don't run). I guess you could also try to outprioritize them (except bombs) with an aerial, but that leaves you open for a second. This is hard, Tink is pretty good at keeping people out.

This is old but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy2Reu2S44c&feature=related

Boss doesn't have too much trouble getting thorugh.

Meh, I play too much Wifi :/

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I play quite often vs toon link's

his boomerang isn't too good vs luigi due to back air, down air, and n-air. N-air can also catch the bombs if timed right. Same applies to Arrows for the boomerang comments. Down b can also be used to approach and fireballs cancel out arrows. I personally prefer the back air over all the aerials mixed with down airs and the occasional N-air.

Top Bottom