• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overcome Priorities against Link?

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys..

I'm curious how someone can overcome Pits weakpoints: No priority in attacks, short range in melee. I struggle to become better... I need to overcome players like this Link-Player:

Video

He's a real pain. In 3-Stock Matches I can counter his attacks for the most times, but I really have a problem with his combos and Priority-Attacks. He is as far as one of the strongest player in a very big community. According his chats with me I'm very strong for an Pit-Player because he has never lost a stock again other Pit-Players.

Look at the Video at 0:06, 0:13 (until after grab) and 1:05. I can't counter them very well..
Some weeks ago I'm used to win against him most time but now I feel I can't do anything against him. On the other hand, I've no real problems to kill other Link-Players, but these one is really hard.

Hope you can help me guys against this one. I can use most of the Pit techs so far (excluding some wing-techs but Arrow Chasing for sure).

kupo15

Smash Hero
Sorry I can't help because I have never played a Link but if you can show us some of your matches, that would be helpful

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
What about camp ?

Just spam arrows , until :

1) he is close enough to use melee
2) you need to use a killing move

Test his nerves with arrows. Eventually he will forget about his defense and you will find opportunities to use killing moves.

Or you could just read those premade combos a powershield every attack.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
What about camp ?

Just spam arrows , until :

1) he is close enough to use melee
2) you need to use a killing move

Test his nerves with arrows. Eventually he will forget about his defense and you will find opportunities to use killing moves.

Or you could just read those premade combos a powershield every attack.
Pit has trouble out camping link. Pit has 3 projectiles which can be spammed quite effectively. I'm not saying you can't outcamp him but generally the results are pretty even damage traded.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I have faced a number of good link's. His recovery blows and once you get him off the edge 3 well placed arrows can gimp him. if he tethers you can gimp(Bair Stage spike) him into the wall. A single off the edge fair gimps him well too. If he tries to use arrows angel ring him. he can't aim his arrows.

That said, this Link seems very close combat oriented. Memorize his approaches and powershield them. Follow that with something. I dunno. I guess capitalize on his crap recovery as much as possible,

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Links tend to be heavy on the smashes. All you really have to do is mind game him into a smash and then beat on him. As long as you abuse pits multiple jumps and float around Link he will probably try to attack you leaving himself open to a counter.

While arrows are nice, if you charge him after he gets knocked of stage, one hit could mean the difference between him living or dying. If you hit him after he uses his second jump hes pretty much dead.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
So, a update. I played him yesterday again and I won most of the matches. He created an perfect link who overcame most of his cons and it looks like I can adapt to his style. I fought one link today and this one was really no match for me after I played KJ for such long time.

Kupo: There will be Tournament-Videos at the "CW Brawl Tournament 1" after the Release of Brawl in Europe. Maybe I'll play him there.

Aminar: That's right, he's one of the close ones, he thought me most of my Pit-knowledge by playing against him. One problem with our fights is that we know each other fightstyle to well. He uses Pit general weakpoints for attacking me which frustates me the most time.

Ryos4: Forget the multiple jumps, they will not work against him. He uses then this up-Smash Move like Snake (sorry, don't the official name for it), even when you're gonna to dodge it. One of my weakpoints is my bad landing on the ground. On the ground I can be really well but if I have to recover from the air I fail some times really... bad. Kupo should know what I mean if he can remember our matches.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Sorry I'm late but I'm glad you're doing much better. Pit owns Link pretty well. Powershielding his attacks works wonders since Link players tend to stick the the powerful ground attacks. I just Powershield and reflect his projectiles. Once you get them frustrated you might be able to out spam them if they've lost touch with what they should be doing.

It's hard to go into much detail though. Just keep applying pressure and get in their heads. Link players are facing an up-hill battle to begin with. Take them out of the game mentally and you're set.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
This reminds me of me fighting an annoying Link. Projectile after projectile, and he likes the clawshot, and usually grabs me with it. He also loves the bombs. Yea, reflecting their projectiles is something a Pit should be aware of, but be careful, for a smart Link (or even a cowardly one) can walk you into a trap, which may involve grabbing you.
Link-s U-air and D-air are annoying. Try avoid being above him, as well as being directly below him. I might have more information later, but this was from my experience.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Something I do that works pretty well is get Link into the air, trick him into doing a dair and punish the lag. It works only once per match most of the time, so I capitalize as much as possible. It's the only pro I can find to the removal of l-cancelling.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Well it works for me. Its my main battle style for most opponents. But it falls short against flying characters or people who aerial alot like idk luigi or marth, ya know the really fast ones.

stylux7

Smash Rookie
Well most of what I would say has already been said but I will say that pit is much better in the air....SH to fair is good and works for me 70% of the time. Just try and stay in the air and make him chase you. You'll beat him every time in the air

rezen1337

Smash Cadet
My brother mains Link and I face him ALL THE TIME. I see why you think he's a hassle to deal with.

His projectiles can be a real problem, and it's much easier to just dodge or cancel them with Wingdashing instead of reflecting them. Trying to use the Mirror Shield or Angel Ring will usually result in you getting grabbed.

As for his Dair, it kills at low percentages when used sparingly, so watch out, but Pit's Uair usually out-prioritizes it (besides the initial hitboxes of Link's Dair). Divebombing is a good way to catch him off guard.

His Usmash is a huge pain, and when it's DAC'd, it becomes really difficult to deal with. Whenever Pit is hit by it, it's almost impossible to DI out of it unless you only get caught at the very edge.

Also, Fair combos work really nicely against him.

Those are my tips for now, I'll think of more later. =P

Top Bottom