• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Outer Heaven - Kept You Waiting Huh?! Snake Social Thread

Who are The Patriots?

• Zero, Ocelot, Big Boss, EVA, Sigint, and Para-Medic

• La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo. La-li-lu-le-lo.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Missiles have historically not been treated as energy projectiles, so that's not too surprising, though it might be like Duck Hunt's cans in that a direct hit can't be absorbed but the explosion can.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Wanted to share this again: sometime after Robin was revealed I made this, posted it in the Snake support thread, and constantly said this while supporting Snake for dlc:

Snake Meme.jpg

:ultsnake:

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
It's been quite the ride waiting for Snake's return in Smash! Interacting with the community back in the Smash 4 speculation days was a blast. Snake was the one character I really wanted in Smash 5, and since he's back, and everything's kinda settled since the big reveal last month, i'm gonna try going into the rest of Ultimate as blind as possible. Speculation and keeping up to date with rumours was fun, but I really miss that wow factor playing Melee for the first time as a kid, unlocking stages, characters, etc gave me.

So here's to you patriots, it's been fun! Hope to see you around when Ultimate comes out!

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
I feel satisfied and got what I wanted to wish to happen when I first saw that Snake was confirmed to return to Smash. So, I looked forward to see Snake fighting with the other characters when Ultimate come out in December.

The gang is all here!!!

Comic about Bayonetta, Snake, and Kirby

Snake and Inkling Girl

Last edited:

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Here what have Bihldorff who is the senior localization manager at the Nintendo Treehouse say when being asked about Snake and Konami in a interview with Nintendo Life.

Speaking of characters, Snake is back. Fans have been wanting him back for a while, not only for Snake, but with David Hayter voicing him. Obviously Nintendo doesn't have full control over whether those characters can appear. Was Konami all in when they were approached about whether Snake could return for Smash? What was that process like?

Bihldorff: We don't have a lot of visibility into a lot of the conversations, the individual talks that occur. Clearly Mr. Sakurai and his team worked closely with every single one of them. That is a lot of characters outside of Nintendo's purview. Every single one of them, not only is there a conversation to get this character to come back, but it comes down to every single last detail about the character. I guarantee you that every piece of art is getting approved, every piece of music, every detail that is related to that particular IP, they are working closely with the rights holders to make sure that it is perfect and to their satisfaction. We weren't in the room when it got brought up, but I'm pretty sure it was pretty happy for them. There were probably a lot of fans over at Konami that wanted to play as Snake a lot.

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...with_nintendos_bill_trinen_and_nate_bihldorff

Last edited:

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
What a thrill! That remix is really nice. It’s like the original but with an anime edge to it. Now we pray that the original with lyrics still pops up.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hopefully there'll be another couple versions of Snake Eater. Hopefully we get the vocal one at least.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I LOVE that remix! It's so energetic, perfect for a battle, and the beginning reminds me of a James Bond movie, which is great!

And also I'm just happy to see new remixes for Metal Gear. This proves that Konami is fully on board, and it's not limiting itself to just reuse old content from Brawl!

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Snake and Cloud mains should get together in doubles, the Super Soldier team, those mighty forward airs, and most importantly, Snake will grant Cloud access to a more powerful weapon than the Buster Sword in FF7: grenades!

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Can we talk about how well Snake animates now? Watching gameplay of Ultimate and comparing it to Brawl is night and day in more ways than one.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Can we talk about how well Snake animates now? Watching gameplay of Ultimate and comparing it to Brawl is night and day in more ways than one.
Yeah, Brawl in general just looks pretty jank. 10 years of animation improvements go a long way.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Yeah, Snake's animations here are just a lot better and more fluid. His Fair, side tilt, dash attack, Fsmash, his new dodge and Nair look so much better.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I got my copy of MGS4. Installing updates and preloading the game took about twenty five minutes, but whenever I get a day off, I'll definitely play it!

Also, since I got a new SD card, I downloaded Snake Eater for the 3DS since it was only $20 and I wanted to see how it made the transition to the 3DS. (I previously played through it on the HD Collection) While trying to figure out the controls, I got stuck in a piece of scenery and couldn't get out, so I'm not off to a great start. Graphics look good, though.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Snake Eater on 3DS has a very odd control scheme so I don't blame you if you have difficulty starting off the game.

You are in for an experience with MGS4, especially if you've played the previous entries.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Snake Eater on 3DS has a very odd control scheme so I don't blame you if you have difficulty starting off the game.

You are in for an experience with MGS4, especially if you've played the previous entries.
Id wanna get it just for crouch walking

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I'm definitely looking forward to MGS4. I've beaten the Solid games that came before it (not the original Metal Gear 1 and 2, though I can access them through the HD Collection), and while I haven't beaten Peace Walker or MGSV yet (the hide and seek missions at the end of Peace Walker were annoying, and I think I'm nearing the end of the main story in V, since Big Boss is heading out to stop Skull Face after rescuing Code Talker), they likely aren't necessary to understanding this.

For Snake Eater 3D, I just find it weird that the A, B, X, and Y buttons control the camera. I think item selection is handled via touchscreen, but I only got to play for a minute or two, so I'm not sure about the rest.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Personally I always found MGS3D to be the best version of the game. The graphics are great, the stereoscopic 3D is amazing and the crunch walking is a blessing. While the controls might take some time to adjust to, once they click with you they work fine, and if you play it on a New 3DS (or use a Circle Pad Pro) the problem vanishes immediately.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Personally I always found MGS3D to be the best version of the game. The graphics are great, the stereoscopic 3D is amazing and the crunch walking is a blessing. While the controls might take some time to adjust to, once they click with you they work fine, and if you play it on a New 3DS (or use a Circle Pad Pro) the problem vanishes immediately.
I do think that Snake Eater 3D is a great game, just hard to get used to because of the control scheme. I played it on a regular 3DS and it took a while to get used to.

How would you guys list the Metal Gear franchise? (with the exception of the "latest entry"....) Mine would be this.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots: The best in the series for me due it's engaging narrative and some of the best set pieces of any video game ever. I know the narrative has a lot of ***pulls (which I won't spoil), but it's still interesting and engaging nonetheless with a very satisfying ending. Act 4 is an amazing act while Act 1 immediately hooks you with the weight of the situation.

2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty: This game really grew on me. It used to be my 4th favorite in the series but the narrative is so intriguing and such a mind bender that I enjoy it every single time I play it. It's also home to one of the best final acts and revelations of any game period that still holds plenty of relevance in today's day-and-age.

3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: One of the best action games I've ever played and is home to one of my favorite soundtracks of the entire series and that's saying a lot. The story isn't nearly as deep as the others but it's a fun story that knows it's cheesy and over the top and embraces it. The boss fights in this game alone are worth it.

4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain: The best gameplay of the entire series by far and away. It would easily top the list if the series was ranked on gameplay alone. However the story was very lackluster due to it being flat out unfinished due to Konami's nagging. Had it had a finished story, it'd probably be more accepted in the fandom.

5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater: By a lot of the fandom considered the best in the series, it is a great game. One of the best narratives of the series, which you would expect it to have it being the genesis of the whole story of Metal Gear. However, there are no set pieces as memorable as some of the other games besides the ending.

6. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes: Yeah I'm putting Twin Snakes over the original simply because the gameplay is much better in my opinion. I personally welcome the over the top version of the story in MGS1 and the story isn't that much over the top (I've played pretty much the whole series, not much can surprise me here XD).

7. Metal Gear Solid: The kickstarter of the Solid series, it's really good but unfortunately the game itself has aged. The narrative definitely helps it stay afloat the whole way through, but the gameplay has not aged that well.

8. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake: If MGS1 was the Prime for the Metroid series, MG2 was the Super Metroid to Metal Gear. A lot of the things that are in Metal Gear Solid can be traced here as well as the foundation for the whole Solid series. While it's not as groundbreaking as Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear 2 is still a really good game that deserves to be played and unfortunately doesn't get much attention.

9. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes: Would be much higher on the list had it been much longer. It's still a great game, especially if you get it in the Definitive Experience for MGSV.

10. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: While it's not a bad game by any means, it's a very good one, it's just one of those games for me that is just basically there. There is nothing that sticks out (well maybe the Monster Hunter missions) and is kind of 1 and done kinda game for me. Phantom Pain does it's job much better.

11. Metal Gear: Fun game, but it's very dated. However, it's fun to use cheat codes in break the game apart with it. I view it like the original Metroid game. Dated, but fun to mess around with.

12. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops: Probably the least relevant game in the series. You miss nothing if you skip Portable Ops. It's not a bad game, but you literally miss nothing if you don't play it.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I do think that Snake Eater 3D is a great game, just hard to get used to because of the control scheme. I played it on a regular 3DS and it took a while to get used to.

How would you guys list the Metal Gear franchise? (with the exception of the "latest entry"....) Mine would be this.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots: The best in the series for me due it's engaging narrative and some of the best set pieces of any video game ever. I know the narrative has a lot of ***pulls (which I won't spoil), but it's still interesting and engaging nonetheless with a very satisfying ending. Act 4 is an amazing act while Act 1 immediately hooks you with the weight of the situation.

2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty: This game really grew on me. It used to be my 4th favorite in the series but the narrative is so intriguing and such a mind bender that I enjoy it every single time I play it. It's also home to one of the best final acts and revelations of any game period that still holds plenty of relevance in today's day-and-age.

3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: One of the best action games I've ever played and is home to one of my favorite soundtracks of the entire series and that's saying a lot. The story isn't nearly as deep as the others but it's a fun story that knows it's cheesy and over the top and embraces it. The boss fights in this game alone are worth it.

4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain: The best gameplay of the entire series by far and away. It would easily top the list if the series was ranked on gameplay alone. However the story was very lackluster due to it being flat out unfinished due to Konami's nagging. Had it had a finished story, it'd probably be more accepted in the fandom.

5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater: By a lot of the fandom considered the best in the series, it is a great game. One of the best narratives of the series, which you would expect it to have it being the genesis of the whole story of Metal Gear. However, there are no set pieces as memorable as some of the other games besides the ending.

6. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes: Yeah I'm putting Twin Snakes over the original simply because the gameplay is much better in my opinion. I personally welcome the over the top version of the story in MGS1 and the story isn't that much over the top (I've played pretty much the whole series, not much can surprise me here XD).

7. Metal Gear Solid: The kickstarter of the Solid series, it's really good but unfortunately the game itself has aged. The narrative definitely helps it stay afloat the whole way through, but the gameplay has not aged that well.

8. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake: If MGS1 was the Prime for the Metroid series, MG2 was the Super Metroid to Metal Gear. A lot of the things that are in Metal Gear Solid can be traced here as well as the foundation for the whole Solid series. While it's not as groundbreaking as Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear 2 is still a really good game that deserves to be played and unfortunately doesn't get much attention.

9. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes: Would be much higher on the list had it been much longer. It's still a great game, especially if you get it in the Definitive Experience for MGSV.

10. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: While it's not a bad game by any means, it's a very good one, it's just one of those games for me that is just basically there. There is nothing that sticks out (well maybe the Monster Hunter missions) and is kind of 1 and done kinda game for me. Phantom Pain does it's job much better.

11. Metal Gear: Fun game, but it's very dated. However, it's fun to use cheat codes in break the game apart with it. I view it like the original Metroid game. Dated, but fun to mess around with.

12. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops: Probably the least relevant game in the series. You miss nothing if you skip Portable Ops. It's not a bad game, but you literally miss nothing if you don't play it.
Ah, a kindred spirit who likes MGS4 the most! I always feel kinda weird saying it's my favorite because that doesn't seem to be a very common opinion (Seems like the vast majority of people like Snake Eater the best, which I will say I completely understand). But I wholeheartedly agree with your points on MGS4: I thought its narrative was by far the most interesting and thought-provoking to me, and I just really enjoyed scale of the story. It's been a long time since I've played it though, so maybe I wouldn't like it as much now, but I remember being so invested in it at the time it came out. It really was a satisfying ending to the series to me.

I feel like all of the games are good for different reasons, so I've never really thought about how I'd rank every single one of them. But for me, I kinda just narrow it down to MGS4 as my favorite, MGSV as the one with the best gameplay, and MGS3 as what I like to call, "the best all-around Metal Gear experience." I love them all dearly though.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'll rank the Metal Gear games real quick.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4 - Pinacle of the series. Wonderful, bat **** story, incredible stealth, great difficulty scaling. Guns of the Patriots is one of my perfect games
  2. Metal Gear: Ghost Babel - wonderfully different. It stands out as one of the best spinoffs in the series and I would sometimes use this game as the example of how Metal Gear can continue without Kojima. Fantastic. Handheld Espionage Action
  3. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes - Actually prefer this over the original. It's so unapologetically over the top and I love it. Also, it not only remakes MGS but even builds off of MGS2.
  4. Metal Gear Solid 3 - Prefer 3D but the game is magical no matter what. Fits perfectly in the pages of history.
  5. Metal Gear Rising - The best version of Raiden made by the best action company.
  6. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker - love the huge bosses but rising does that better and that's the main thing I remember still love it.
  7. Metal Gear Solid 2 - Wonderfully weird but as an old school fan Raiden still throws me off being the main character.
  8. Metal Gear Solid V - as a complete experience it's amazing. Separated its not as great but it's still impressive.
  9. Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops - I love this game. Campbell meeting Big Boss is great lore but just like Peace Walker that's about all I remember.
  10. Metal Gear Solid - it's aged poorly. Very poorly to the point I would prefer not to play it. Still, I have found memories of it at the lease.
  11. Metal Gear 2 - Great but again aged badly.
  12. Metal Gear - the worst ages. Fun but not as good as I wish it still was. Classic hut it doesn't stand the test of time.
  13. Metal Gear Ac!d 2 - More polished than the first but still weird whichever means...
  14. Metal Gear Ac!d - Strange take on the games. It's a cool strategy game but Metal Gear? Sure...
  15. Metal Gear Survive- **** this game and everything it stands for.
By the way I noticed they got rid of the box win pose. The one where he says "Not even close" something I noticed.
Ah, a kindred spirit who likes MGS4 the most! I always feel kinda weird saying it's my favorite because that doesn't seem to be a very common opinion (Seems like the vast majority of people like Snake Eater the best, which I will say I completely understand). But I wholeheartedly agree with your points on MGS4: I thought its narrative was by far the most interesting and thought-provoking to me, and I just really enjoyed scale of the story. It's been a long time since I've played it though, so maybe I wouldn't like it as much now, but I remember being so invested in it at the time it came out. It really was a satisfying ending to the series to me.

I feel like all of the games are good for different reasons, so I've never really thought about how I'd rank every single one of them. But for me, I kinda just narrow it down to MGS4 as my favorite, MGSV as the one with the best gameplay, and MGS3 as what I like to call, "the best all-around Metal Gear experience." I love them all dearly though.
Dude... I love 4. Who doesn't? Non Metal Gear fans? If you love Metal Gear you love 4. It's the pinnacle of its stealth gameplay. Not to mention it's closing chapter and the best story imo.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I'll rank the Metal Gear games real quick.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4 - Pinacle of the series. Wonderful, bat **** story, incredible stealth, great difficulty scaling. Guns of the Patriots is one of my perfect games
  2. Metal Gear: Ghost Babel - wonderfully different. It stands out as one of the best spinoffs in the series and I would sometimes use this game as the example of how Metal Gear can continue without Kojima. Fantastic. Handheld Espionage Action
  3. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes - Actually prefer this over the original. It's so unapologetically over the top and I love it. Also, it not only remakes MGS but even builds off of MGS2.
  4. Metal Gear Solid 3 - Prefer 3D but the game is magical no matter what. Fits perfectly in the pages of history.
  5. Metal Gear Rising - The best version of Raiden made by the best action company.
  6. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker - love the huge bosses but rising does that better and that's the main thing I remember still love it.
  7. Metal Gear Solid 2 - Wonderfully weird but as an old school fan Raiden still throws me off being the main character.
  8. Metal Gear Solid V - as a complete experience it's amazing. Separated its not as great but it's still impressive.
  9. Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops - I love this game. Campbell meeting Big Boss is great lore but just like Peace Walker that's about all I remember.
  10. Metal Gear Solid - it's aged poorly. Very poorly to the point I would prefer not to play it. Still, I have found memories of it at the lease.
  11. Metal Gear 2 - Great but again aged badly.
  12. Metal Gear - the worst ages. Fun but not as good as I wish it still was. Classic hut it doesn't stand the test of time.
  13. Metal Gear Ac!d 2 - More polished than the first but still weird whichever means...
  14. Metal Gear Ac!d - Strange take on the games. It's a cool strategy game but Metal Gear? Sure...
  15. Metal Gear Survive- **** this game and everything it stands for.
By the way I noticed they got rid of the box win pose. The one where he says "Not even close" something I noticed.

Dude... I love 4. Who doesn't? Non Metal Gear fans? If you love Metal Gear you love 4. It's the pinnacle of its stealth gameplay. Not to mention it's closing chapter and the best story imo.
Well I'm just happy to know other fans out there rank it as highly as I do haha. Everyone I've ever talked to about the series seems to forget about it altogether for some reason.

On another note, I really like your list. Sure, I might rank things differently overall, but I agree with many of the points you made. For instance, I am in 100% agreement with you on the original Metal Gear Solid. It used to be one of my favorites, but it really has aged like ***. I went back and replayed it after beating The Phantom Pain, and man was it near impossible for me to play now. I felt like I was fighting the controls the entire time and ultimately didn't really enjoy myself, which kinda bummed me out. I'd love it if they remade it, but I doubt that'll ever happen now.

I was surprised to see Ghost Babel listed so high, but I too really love that game. I don't think I'd put it quite so high on my own list, but I do have very fond memories playing that game. When I was a senior in high school, every student was issued our own iPad as part of tuition, and when you give kids technology that they have to rely on in class, you can guarantee they're going to download games on them. So pretty much everyone had some kind of emulator on their iPad. Most people I knew were playing Pokemon, but my best friend and I decided we were going to play Ghost Babel. Both of us were big Metal Gear fans, but neither of us had played this one before. The two of us had an ongoing competition to see who could beat the game first. I still distinctly remember playing "the box maze" part as we called it during a lecture. Those were the days... Such a charming little game. Super fun too.

Also, you mentioned something called Metal Gear Survive? Never heard of that one... ;)

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Ghost Babel is the only Metal Gear Solid game I have yet to play. And from what I hear you guys and others, it's pretty great.....now if only I can get that game without breaking bank.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I got to admit, 4 is also my personal favourite. While I totally understand the critics about its extremely long cutscenes, it was a blast to play, and it is the only game that nearly made me cry during the ending. Truly a masterpiece that deserves to be ported on other system.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
People like to talk **** on Twin Snakes all the time, which I don’t even get. It’s a completely different take on MGS and it’s great. It is its own thing. Still though, I vastly prefer playing it to the original because of the added mechanics and it’s easier on the eyes.

Also I’m glad you rank the game as highly as I do Nonspecificguy! I honestly think it’s one of the best story wise. The story in that game is highly underrated and there are so many cool and developed characters like Weasel,Viper, Slasher Hawk. Black Chamber were awesome villains.

I also like Metal Gear 2:Solid Snake as much as I do Ghost Babel. For such an old game, the story is amazing. I think it’s up there as well. Mechanics have aged but it’s still good. I’ve played through it a few times. Now that I’ve figured out how to MSX Virtual console injections on my Wii U, I have it loaded on it.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
People like to talk **** on Twin Snakes all the time, which I don’t even get. It’s a completely different take on MGS and it’s great. It is its own thing. Still though, I vastly prefer playing it to the original because of the added mechanics and it’s easier on the eyes.

Also I’m glad you rank the game as highly as I do Nonspecificguy! I honestly think it’s one of the best story wise. The story in that game is highly underrated and there are so many cool and developed characters like Weasel,Viper, Slasher Hawk. Black Chamber were awesome villains.

I also like Metal Gear 2:Solid Snake as much as I do Ghost Babel. For such an old game, the story is amazing. I think it’s up there as well. Mechanics have aged but it’s still good. I’ve played through it a few times. Now that I’ve figured out how to MSX Virtual console injections on my Wii U, I have it loaded on it.
Twin Snakes has MGS2 gameplay and that by default makes it the better game in my opinion. The story is more over the top, yes, but I welcome it. It's science fiction. I mean someone like Psycho Mantis and Vulcan Raven are clearly realistic characters.....it's a video game and Twin Snakes knows that and it embraces it more then the original did and like stated previously by quite a few, MGS1's gameplay is dated. The best advantage MGS1 has it's that it's much easier to get access to then Twin Snakes.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Man I really need to get a PS3 so bad so I that I could play MSG4 and the HD Collection. Is the original MGS available for download on there too?

D

Deleted member

You can get MGS1 through the Legacy Collection IF you buy it new. Don't buy it used. I learned that the hard way.
^Because it's a download code for the PSN version rather than a physical disc like the other games on the collection. And yes Tino Tino , you can also download MGS1 individually on your PS3.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Overall I like Twin Snakes better than the original, but some things stick out for me, like Snake and colonel pushing each other in the briefings when they argue or snake pointing a gun at Baker in anger when he forgets the codes.

Still Snake Eater is my favorite overall, I actually have only played it on the 3DS.

Top Bottom