• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Smash 4: Wii U Thread.

Sleet

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChiefLongNap
Hey guys, I recently joined the group on Facebook and blanked on registering for the league you're setting up. I would be fairly interested in participating, however, my work schedule is fairly restrictive for the next little while.

I'd be able to participate in online matchups though if that's possible. If so, how can I go about signing up?

I also hope to make it to fun haven soon. Sounds like you guys have a blast

Michael Zvaniga

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mswanee
Hi Michael. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, this has been a jam packed weekend of smash. We're still hosting events every Saturday, but we're also hosting out of Fun haven every Monday night. For when our next amiibo tournament will be, you'll have to check with Jiggernaut. He's running the Saturday events for the next month while I focus on wedding preparations and some exciting behind the scenes stuff.

I'm not sure if Ozzy mentioned, but we're also starting a monthly smash league. Free to enter, matches can be online or in person. If you're interested in signing up, let me know.

After the wedding we have some huge things planned. Stay tuned!
Ozzy told me about the monthly tourney thing but I don't have internet at my house (Bell kept over charging us so we canceled it) and take as long as you want to prepare for your wedding
We'll likely have an Amiibo side tournament when we do our next custom tournament. I still have to work out when that will be though, my apologies.
I don't have FB, so plz contact me through SB, Thx

Michael Zvaniga

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mswanee
Hey guys, I recently joined the group on Facebook and blanked on registering for the league you're setting up. I would be fairly interested in participating, however, my work schedule is fairly restrictive for the next little while.

I'd be able to participate in online matchups though if that's possible. If so, how can I go about signing up?

I also hope to make it to fun haven soon. Sounds like you guys have a blast
I don't know if its easier but they also do tourneys every sat... Thought it might be easier since its a weekend

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
Hi everyone, just moved to Ottawa and looking to attend some events. My question is, Are the monday and saturday events every week?
Welcome to Ottawa! ^_^!
Yep! Alll of this events are weeklies!!! The scene always welcomes everyone :) it will be nice having you here!!!

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
I feel I should also mention that tomorrow's event is going to be a Custom Moves tournament with a small $2 entry fee! They'll be other, non-custom events as well, but they'll be free to enter.

PND

Smash Champion
Yep, Monday at around 6pm we'll be hosting out of Funhaven. There will be no event on Saturday this week, though.

PND

Smash Champion
PR has been updated for June, and the events calendar has been fixed. We're working on a constantly updating calendar of events, but we've been having some issues. I apologize or the delay on that. As far as the PR delay goes. . . well, we've been pretty busy behind-the-scenes, and soon you will all understand why. . . :)

Epriss

Smash Rookie
Hey, I live in the Ottawa (Kanata specifically) area. I'd like to attend a tournament with my friend on a Saturday, but I can't find the schedule, I don't know where everyone would meet, or anything specific. I'd like everything to be cleared up so we can go to a doubles tournament.

Thanks.

PND

Smash Champion
Sorry for the delay in responding, Epriss, this week has been a crazy week for the Ottawa Smash scene. I've been working hard behind the scenes with my amazing team to organize a major event that we just announced. But I'll get to that in a sec.

On Saturdays we play at the apartment of a top player in our city, Spanky. We keep his address private to respect his privacy, so we PM it to interested players. This upcoming Saturday, however, we will not be hosting. We will be back on Monday, June 21st at Funhaven for singles and Amiibos, and Saturday, June 27th for doubles and usually crews.

---

Our major announcement is Ottawa's Largest Smash 4 Tournament.

We are hosting a major tournament in August featuring Singles, Doubles, Crews, Amiibos, and more yet-to-be-announced.

We are super pleased to announce the legend himself Dabuz will be attending, with a group of players in tow.

Epriss

Smash Rookie
Sorry for the delay in responding, Epriss, this week has been a crazy week for the Ottawa Smash scene. I've been working hard behind the scenes with my amazing team to organize a major event that we just announced. But I'll get to that in a sec.

On Saturdays we play at the apartment of a top player in our city, Spanky. We keep his address private to respect his privacy, so we PM it to interested players. This upcoming Saturday, however, we will not be hosting. We will be back on Monday, June 21st at Funhaven for singles and Amiibos, and Saturday, June 27th for doubles and usually crews.

---

Our major announcement is Ottawa's Largest Smash 4 Tournament.

We are hosting a major tournament in August featuring Singles, Doubles, Crews, Amiibos, and more yet-to-be-announced.

We are super pleased to announce the legend himself Dabuz will be attending, with a group of players in tow.
Yay! Can't wait for more details about the tournament! Since I'm new to the whole 613 Smash and these tournaments, I need to know some things. Do I need to provide my own controllers? Are we allowed to use gamepads? Will the consoles be provided? How do I signup, and are there rules about this? There's a lot more... XD

Excuse me for bombarding you with questions, I'm just so hyped now!

Thanks,
Epriss.

Last edited:

Epriss

Smash Rookie
Yay! Can't wait for more details about the tournament! Since I'm new to the whole 613 Smash and these tournaments, I need to know some things. Do I need to provide my own controllers? Are we allowed to use gamepads? Will the consoles be provided? How do I signup, and are there rules about this? There's a lot more... XD

Excuse me for bombarding you with questions, I'm just so hyped now!

Thanks,
Epriss.
Alright, I found the post with all the rules, I guess I'm good, now. I'll send an email or PM you if I have anything else to ask...

PND

Smash Champion
Smash Nexus Registration is now live! Register online at smashnexus.com (has issues with Firefox, check Chrome or IE) or signup in person at one of our Monday events.

Speaking of. . .
Results from last Monday!!

Monday Night Mayhem X: Roman Numeral Edition

1: OCC (ROB / Luigi)
2: Haze (Diddy Kong)
3: Clark (Fox)
4: TRI (Link)
5: Xakym (King DeDeDe / Megaman)
5: BrodZ (Villager)
7: RoC (King DeDeDe)
7: Puffin (Shulk)
9: AlphaRam (Captain Falcon / Dark Pit)
9: Spanky (Kirby)
9: Lando (Villager)
9: Stunulink (Link)
13: Nugget (Little Mac)
13: BreaD (Zero Suit Samus)
13: Sacked (Luigi)
13: HamonRye
17: Linkshot
17: Knuckles (Mario)
17: Bee
17: Fog (Roy)
17: Jekernot (Lucas)
17: Remi
17: UGN
17: Jiggernaut
25: Mr. Humble (Peach)
25: BMillz
25: Hades
25: TDG (Toon Link)
25: CrateBin
25: Fogel (Fox)
25: C-Hauk
25: Killion
33: BuenoB (Zero Suit Samus)
33: Shizbly
33: Hurlyman
33: Calandracas
33: Skrub
33: CJ
33: MiggySmalls

39 entrants, plus staff and players who were there for just friendlies. At this rate, I can't wait to see how Nexus turns out!

MrFahrenheit742

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrFahrenheit742
Is Nexus going to be a 2 day tournament?
I wouldn't mind traveling up to Ottawa for it but I don't know if I could do a multi day event.

PND

Smash Champion
Yes, Nexus wil be both Saturday and Sunday. The venue is a hotel, so accommodations are not far away. Additionally, lots of players have mentioned willingness to house travelling players.

Great Apple

Smash Rookie
NNID
LesBalthazars
3DS FC
4639-8958-5534
Don't know why it took me so long to even think about taking a look around the region; but better sooner than later.

I'll see if I can show up at the next event, now that I live closer than I used to.

Omega_Ra1der

Smash Cadet
Hey, came here through my intro and didn't know there was a weekly right in my face. I may come to one of the singles tours.

Last edited:

Excalibur74

Smash Rookie
Ok, so I'm completely new to Smashboards. I went on it to see a few things about the changes in each patch, but that's it. I'm typing this post right after I verified my account.

I finally decided to make an account because of this thread. I love Smash 4, but I always wanted to play in some sort of tournament. Let's just say, I never knew there were actual locals in Ottawa... I was so happy when I finally found out.

I'd love to join these tournaments. Where can learn more imformation about these locals? Like the rules, fee. An address and time...

Please respond ASAP. I'd like to join a tournament as soon as I can!

I know there was some info in the first post of this thread, but that was 6 months ago. I'd like to know if it isn't outdated :p

One day, I'm gonna make it on that power ranking list. Just wait 0.0

Last edited:

Omega_Ra1der

Smash Cadet
Join the facebook group to know more. In fact the pinned post is everything you need to know.

PND

Smash Champion
The Facebook group is the most active part of the community, it can be found here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/613smash/

Basically, the rundown is as follows:

Mondays are our main day here in Ottawa. Every Monday, we're at Funhaven.

http://www.funhaven.com/

We make the bracket around 6 (usually 6:30 before finalized) so be there before then if you plan on entering. Everything before 6 is friendly matches. Once we get through the first couple rounds of the bracket, say around 8 or so, we start opening setups for more friendlies. Friendlies are always 100% free to play.

If you want to enter the bracket itself, it's $5 entry plus $5 venue fee. The entry goes into the prize pot, the venue gets paid at the front desk and you get a $5 Funhaven gift card when you pay it. . . So not really a venue fee, more of a minimum purchase kind of idea. It can be used for food, arcade games, laser tag, alchohol from the bar if you're legal drinking age, frozen yogurt, whatever you want. (In my personal experience, this is the single best venue fee setup I've ever seen for a gaming community! :D)

Brackets are double elimination -- if you lose once, you get moved to the loser's side bracket, which you can still win the tournament from. If you lose twice, you're eliminated from the event. The stage list and rules are in the first post -- but a heads up, they are currently up for debate. We just finished Smash Nexus, Ottawa's largest smash event ever, and we're gathering community feedback to shape our rules going forward.

For the prize pot, 10% of what we raise (so 50 cents per person) goes back to 613 Smash to fund equipment costs. The rest is paid out to the top placing players at the tournament.

If we have under 32 entrants, we pay top 3. 60/30/10 split.
If we have between 33 and 63 entrants, we pay top 5. (Well, technically 6, there are two 5th place ties). 50/25/13/6/3/3 split
Anything more than 64 entrants, we pay top 8. (I can't remember the split off the top of my head, I'll edit it in when I find it)

We stream at: www.twitch.tv/613smash and our brackets can be found on our Challonge account: 613smash.challonge.com

Whew, I think that's it for Mondays!

Saturdays and sometimes Wednesdays are hosted by members of the community, they usually post in the Facebook group with more details. They tend to be Smashfests -- not usually tournament style, more based on friendlies and training, but details get posted alongside the event.

Soon enough, working out some details, we're (hopefully) going to be hosting large monthly tournaments. I'll have details posted for those when I get everything sorted out. Likely going to be on weekends

If you have any questions, feel free to post here or (for faster response times) the facebook group.

Hopefully we see you out to an event soon!

PND

Smash Champion
Our next event will be this weekend at the Capital Gaming Expo.

We're running a singles tournament on Saturday for $5. We're also hosting a free-to-enter Amiibo tournament as well!

Details for the convention can be found at: http://cgexpo.ca/

Revolute

Smash Rookie
NNID
RevolutionCubix
3DS FC
0404-9885-8355
Our next event will be this weekend at the Capital Gaming Expo.

We're running a singles tournament on Saturday for $5. We're also hosting a free-to-enter Amiibo tournament as well!

Details for the convention can be found at: http://cgexpo.ca/
Hey.

I'm new to the whole tournament scene, would I have to register before the tournament or do you just go in and register?

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized your post is from september

Last edited:

Omega_Ra1der

Smash Cadet
Well, we have a facebook group where it is far more active than here in smashboards. Btw, you have to pay $5 to get in the venue and another $5 to register for the weekly.

Rust

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rustic
So I played a guy who's tag was Badger on For Glory, and when I play Jigglypuff I use the tag Jiggernaut. He confused me for this Jiggernaut and either already had or created the 613Smash tag which brought me here.

I'm obviously not the Jiggernaut, of which you guys apparently have, but they were good games, so I came here to say that!

Also, hi, Tutan, if you even check this thread.

Last edited:

Omega_Ra1der

Smash Cadet
MNM are done so there is nothing, im thiking of droping smash and just plaiying cs...
nah, we are living but we are hosting them in a guy house. Join Ottawa Smash or at least the Ontario discord and @ dankfalcn or any pr members there.

EpOc-Samydoo

Smash Cadet
NNID
S_landreville
Yeah Yeah I just heard of that im thnking of joining the group and going next monday, Hopefully I meet you there, Im pretty easy to spot I will be the youngest there, I always am

Top Bottom