• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

Serynder

Jigglypuff is the best.
Oh wow, that's great. I'm unfamiliar with all of those sites, although I'd heard a little about TourneyLocator awhile ago. It seems I have a lot of catching up to do! Thank you again!

T0MMY

Smash Master
I would say that if you frequent one place then you'll probably hear about all the events, but it really seems like a lot of TO's are just posting events one place or just going by word of mouth in their circle of friends which has some obvious limits and there is a lot of room for growth outside of that paradigm.

The Oregon scene really is fractured due in part to having a large land mass which tends to isolate areas from each other distance-wise. We have scenes in the south like the Medford-Ashland area, Eugene, Bend, Corvallis, Salem/Albany, and the entire Portland area which includes Vancouver Washington across the river from Portland.
All these areas have some great players and known veterans and are just waiting to get huge!

With EVO exposure Smash is at an all-time high and with Apex hype following the release of a new Smash game in the series there is a huge demand for events. People are hungry for Smash everywhere and Oregon is no different, the time is perfect to really patch up the Oregon Smash Community and network everyone together to make a strong presence in the Pacific Northwest and make a name for our scene.

That's why I was really happy about taking 5th place out of about 150-200 people in a North American Pool online because that gave Oregon some exposure. I was mentioned in a front page post and people recognized me and (more likely) t1mmy's name, so if Oregon players were networked we could get together and hype that up and when me & t1mmy play in a tournament whoever plays with us gets their name out there and whoever beats us would be considered a top player in our state/region and the hype train keeps building from there.
We have some really awesome players in Oregon and the rest of the world isn't going to do the job to promote us so it's up to the Oregon Smash Community to step it up and really start talking about our established veterans and the up-and-coming players like Zubola and Mr. Crits

I've met with some people who are poised to really start things, established people like those at Big City Gamin' and Shoryuken League and new people like Pixel Battles and Gamepad as well as people kind of outside those industries. Since I've worked with all these people I'm kind of the go-to-guy to start something in Eugene and I think it's really going to take off from here, so I want to get everyone connected and helping each other out.

It's going to be a bumpy start, but if we stay connected and really look out for each other and do what we can it's really going to be an awesome future. But it's up to each of us as individuals to step up and rep our areas individually and keep in contact, ask for help when needed, and offer it when available.

Ashland/Medford: @thrillagorilla + Bryce (no SWF profile)
Eugene: @T1MMY + @Bearedman8
Bend: @Zodiac Mofat
Corvallis: @ Zubola Zubola
Salem/Albany: @ Jaxas Jaxas
Portland: @Viviff (who else is running things up there? Portland is huge and lots of surrounding areas, need like 3 people!)
Vancouver: ? (don't know anyone in this area except @Cutestlillucario if he is doing anything may include Tacoma & Olympia)

We can network with Washington guys and really get things going for the Pac NW, but we have to get Oregon on things first. And since I've been asked so much to help out with things recently and have the time and health to put some work in, now is the time to kick things into gear and see what everyone can do.

Remember to watch this thread and join the groups that have been mentioned here, time to hype it up!

#OregonSmash

Serynder

Jigglypuff is the best.
It seems like there's a lot of potential for a prosperous future for the Oregon community, and your enthusiasm and idea about it all is very motivating to see! I like the idea of developing projects out in the most ideal and calculated way, and it seems like there's a bit of a challenge to face in what appears to be a mutual interest between us!

I'm new here, and I might not know what kind of struggles the whole region has had to face, in terms of networking, unity, and national standing, but I hope that in my wish to meet and interact with everyone, and become familiar with my new home, I might be able to help out and have a beneficial influence in whatever way I can manage!

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
@ Sideslick Sideslick said he wanted to get a Washington carpool down for that one
My big hurdle is that I would probably need to get a cheap-o hotel and make the trip the day prior.

@ Beardbot Beardbot gave me a ride to Gameclucks last Saturday. I've been talking with him about going to Oregon. We both want to go to RTG1, but travel and lodging are serious-issues.

Factor in that RTG1 will be each of our 4th tournament (after the next Gameclucks), and traveling an entire state becomes even more of an intimidating task.

Expect to hear more details on our attendance at a later date, but for now it doesn't seem very likely.

If someone could help arrange a "salty-suite" of-sorts for us (and others) to sleep and train in, chances are better that we'd make it down there. Not 100%-confirmed, but definitely better.

T0MMY

Smash Master
My big hurdle is that I would probably need to get a cheap-o hotel and make the trip the day prior.

@ Beardbot Beardbot gave me a ride to Gameclucks last Saturday. I've been talking with him about going to Oregon. We both want to go to RTG1, but travel and lodging are serious-issues.

If someone could help arrange a "salty-suite" of-sorts for us (and others) to sleep and train in, chances are better that we'd make it down there. Not 100%-confirmed, but definitely better.
There are definitely cheap-o hotels here. The university is booming with that business because a lot of out-of-town students have family that visit them and just want a nice and affordable place to stay for the weekend. Pretty sure you could find a place for about $60 so a carpool for 4 would be ~$15 for the night each.

A good alternative is to house with someone in Portland which is about the halfway point from Seattle and set off the next day so it's only a 1 1/2 hour car trip from there. Could even pick up someone there and they could chip in on gas.

And my place is open for anyone, but we don't have very good accommodations due to having to throw out practically everything when we moved due to health issues. So no extra beds/mattresses, no couch, no kitchen table and only a few foldout chairs to sit on - we roughin' it. But we are very good at helping people improve their game!
Not sure there's anyone else in Eugene who offers housing, but maybe Salem would be another possibility (less than an hour's drive away).

It seems like there's a lot of potential for a prosperous future for the Oregon community, and your enthusiasm and idea about it all is very motivating to see! I like the idea of developing projects out in the most ideal and calculated way, and it seems like there's a bit of a challenge to face in what appears to be a mutual interest between us!

I'm new here, and I might not know what kind of struggles the whole region has had to face, in terms of networking, unity, and national standing, but I hope that in my wish to meet and interact with everyone, and become familiar with my new home, I might be able to help out and have a beneficial influence in whatever way I can manage!
No sweat, I think just being a supporting member of Oregon Smash is all that's required to kick things off. Things have a way of working themselves out and the idea of networking Oregon is really focused on individuals and how important each person is in their own way - we solve problems together in a way to not put any one of us down so that we can focus on the progress of Oregon as a whole. Once we get our act together we connect with Washington and they'll be wow'd by our "oregonization" and get into the groove of things and - BAM - Pacific Northwest is the next hot ticket nationally.

I've been working with a few people like Seibrick to start groundwork on a national Smash influence and @SmashCapps contacted me about getting my plans put in action but I said I really needed to work locally first and then build to something that big so I have to get back to him when Oregon and Pacific Northwest as a whole is settled and poised to make its mark in the world.

What Oregon Smash needs right now:
  • A definitive source to find ALL Oregon Smash information publicly.
  • Local TO's/Representatives (Portland, Salem, Eugene, Corvallis, and Medford/Ashland to start).
  • A unanimously OK'd Oregon Ruleset.
  • Oregon Smash members who will do Publicity/Marketing.
  • Power Ranking for each Smash game.

I think I'll draw up a kind of "Constitution" that explicitly describes the goals of Oregon's Smash community that should be the heart of what every Smasher wants. It basically will detail the goals of having strong competition while keeping it fun & lively while progressing Oregon's role in the Pacific Northwest and nationally.

We know how awesome Oregon's Smash scene is, but I think it's also apparent just how much more there needs to be put together and polished. Like I said, now is the best time to get things rolling so let's start contacting our Smash Family and let them know it's Oregon's time!

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
There are definitely cheap-o hotels here. The university is booming with that business because a lot of out-of-town students have family that visit them and just want a nice and affordable place to stay for the weekend. Pretty sure you could find a place for about $60 so a carpool for 4 would be ~$15 for the night each.
Assuming we find a hotel for that much, it might just be feasible to make it down there. I know i can make it to eugene on one tank of gas so there and back gas will only take up about $60. If we could swing a hotel the first night and crash with you the night of the event, it would be even easier. Im not certain about @ Sideslick Sideslick but i can bring a pillow and blanket and sleep on the floor if needed. I will be makeing an effort to align time and funds for the trip! The more smash the better!

T0MMY

Smash Master
I got the front page updated with some news about what I've been talking about here. I'm pretty excited for things!
But I'm not going to be the one who does everything, I'm only the one that connects everyone already doing their own work locally so we can all benefit from the exposure and growth that these recent opportunities have presented.

Assuming we find a hotel for that much, it might just be feasible to make it down there. I know i can make it to eugene on one tank of gas so there and back gas will only take up about $60. If we could swing a hotel the first night and crash with you the night of the event, it would be even easier. Im not certain about @ Sideslick Sideslick but i can bring a pillow and blanket and sleep on the floor if needed. I will be makeing an effort to align time and funds for the trip! The more smash the better!
However I can help you guys out, just let me know!

The Medford/Ashland guys usually house with us for events and it looks like they are attending so we'll have a nice practice group - although it might be a little cramped.
Maybe I'll bake pizzas or something for everyone and popcorn should be readily available. Not sure what I can do for breakfast though, but probably oatmeal if anyone wants it.
The only thing we ask is to keep the noise level down - not totally quiet, but after 10pm just can't shout, cheer, or have the volume up loud enough to disturb neighbors.

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
I got the front page updated with some news about what I've been talking about here. I'm pretty excited for things!
But I'm not going to be the one who does everything, I'm only the one that connects everyone already doing their own work locally so we can all benefit from the exposure and growth that these recent opportunities have presented.

However I can help you guys out, just let me know!

The Medford/Ashland guys usually house with us for events and it looks like they are attending so we'll have a nice practice group - although it might be a little cramped.
Maybe I'll bake pizzas or something for everyone and popcorn should be readily available. Not sure what I can do for breakfast though, but probably oatmeal if anyone wants it.
The only thing we ask is to keep the noise level down - not totally quiet, but after 10pm just can't shout, cheer, or have the volume up loud enough to disturb neighbors.
I would be able to bring a couple air matresses and I'd be happy to pitch in some cash for food.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
I would be able to bring a couple air matresses and I'd be happy to pitch in some cash for food.
I can't make the same promises right now (unemployed, living w/ parents, yadayadayada.), but I'll help in whatever way I can if I figure out a way down.

I've got a melee-setup if you need any extras. I've also got lots of height... I'm unsure how it would help, but I've got it!

Ask and I'll find some way to help out. I want to help out in any way I can.

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
I can't make the same promises right now (unemployed, living w/ parents, yadayadayada.), but I'll help in whatever way I can if I figure out a way down.

I've got a melee-setup if you need any extras. I've also got lots of height... I'm unsure how it would help, but I've got it!

Ask and I'll find some way to help out. I want to help out in any way I can.
I would carpool you dude. I can bring my melee setup and if i confirm that my computer is indeed a funtioning no lag monitor i can bring a full smash 4 setup as well!

Gamepadnews

Smash Cadet
Hello, Wii would like to invite you to the first Smash Bros. Spring Qualifier being held at Pixel Battles in Eugene.
Here is the Smashboards link:
Road to Glory #1

This is one of the two qualifiers we are holding for our Season Finale in April. Look for the other the next month at the end of March.

Find more news about Oregon events at our website:
Gamepad Arena

Serynder

Jigglypuff is the best.
As far as the networking and general information for Oregon, is it possible to have a Facebook group dedicated solely to Salem Smash, in all areas? And when it comes to events, big news, and anything else, someone could manage an OregonSmash Twitter, or something along those lines? That way everyone is up-to-date and on the same page as far as what everyone -should- know, and it's just a click or a website URL away?

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
As far as the networking and general information for Oregon, is it possible to have a Facebook group dedicated solely to Salem Smash, in all areas? And when it comes to events, big news, and anything else, someone could manage an OregonSmash Twitter, or something along those lines? That way everyone is up-to-date and on the same page as far as what everyone -should- know, and it's just a click or a website URL away?
I'm assuming you mean Oregon smash rather than Salem, right? Or are you saying each area of Oregon should have their own local Smash FB group, and then a big Oregon FB group/twitter/etc?

Either way, that would probably be great but it would involve everyone being willing to use the same website; many people don't come here to SmashBoards, for example, and from what I've seen NintendoDojo (previously All Is Brawl) is all but devoid of users. The twins and a few other people won't use Facebook, and I'm honestly not sure how many people use twitter (I know we have followers on the Salem Smashfests one, but I don't know how much the posts there are seen).

If we could get it to work, that could certainly be easier, though. Posting the same post in ~5 different spots to make sure everyone knows can get annoying, lol

Serynder

Jigglypuff is the best.
It might be easier to get it started on Facebook, since we could add everyone who does at least have a Facebook to the group, where a Twitter page or a site for Oregon Smash updates could be pinned to the top. At the very least, the people who are connected on Facebook(hopefully that being a majority) can keep current with the happenings of the region's community, and can spread such news to people around them who aren't.

Not everyone would need a Twitter, either. They could just as easily click the pinned link for a quick check/update.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Air mattress would be perfect. Or a pad of some kind. If I get a real bed by that time my cot would be available for whoever would want it.

just realized i could stay for the whole road to glory event if i can get housing for the night
I think we have a party brewing at my place! :^)

Kind of want to echo what Jaxas asked and see if you meant to type "Oregon" instead of "Salem". I'll assume that's what it was though just to speed the conversation up a bit because I am kind of excited about sharing some things.

I think that's exactly what Gamepad Arena has actually started doing.
I'm doing the networking with them and Kinich is such a blessing for us with his marketing skills and positive attitude that I see how things are about ready to explode for Oregon... big events, more exposure, and sponsors... if the Smash community is mature enough to work with it.
I've got a way to keep it all together that involves the Smash Community on a national level, but too much info to post right now (in regards to the representatives I mentioned in a previous post). I kind of want to get some things out there before I leave for work... which leads me to...

I helped set up Gamepad with Shoryuken League to do a kind of test-stream for our weekly Smash/Street Fighter tourneys called Dragonpunch Wednesday. The League sponsored most the equipment needed (I still need a headset/mic for tonight!) and Kinich is working the stream.

Check them out tonight starting @ 6pm:
Gamepad Arena Stream

I start signups around 7p and events at 8p so the stream will probably be set up sometime about 6pm.

I'm not entirely opposed to using Facebook, sometimes I click on links that actually work and look at the information there.
As much as I am loving what's going on with businesses like Big City Gamin', Gamepad, Shoryuken League, etc., I think Oregon Smashers should be the ones heading up the Oregon Smash stuff like Facebook.
I'm all for starting an Oregon Smash Facebook that works with the organizations and with what we are doing here on Smashboards before it gets out of our hands. Although I think having a bigger-than Oregon and bigger-than Smash-only group handling things like Tweets would be fine because that would be a huge path for new players to find our events.

Instead of just one of us making an Oregon Smash FB could we have a community-oriented group where the Oregon TO's all have access to the group? I may not be the most embracing of FB but I could at least work with that - that way I could reserve myself to mostly keeping an eye on things here on Smashboards directing people to where they want to go.

I'm out of time for today but who is heading up these areas:

Bend
Corvallis
Portland
Vancouver

I am working on a "constitution" draft that outlines Oregon Smash's goals - not rules to be enforced, just articles describing the essence of what the Oregon Smash Community is - Fun & Competition, as well as it describing the rights of the members like respect/safety/etc.
TOs can look it over and we can all settle on what it is we want for the community and publicly display it so attendees know they will be taken care of at events and local Smashers know they will be looked after and who to talk to if there is a local problem.
So, TO's would be expected to uphold the articles; violating peoples' rights would mean they refuse to be part of the Smash Community. If so, they can go rogue and do whatever they want after that really, but community members probably wouldn't want to attend events where people are abused, insulted, taken advantage of, disrespected, treated unfairly, and hated on.

That's all I got for now.
I'll talk more about some stuff I'm personally working on with the National Smash Community/Smashboards. But as a final surprise:
The head of Hypest Tournaments, the guys who put on the biggest online Smash tournament said they are backing Oregon Smash!
Not sure why, but it might mean some pretty big exposure for our stream that KB is setting up, events like the Gamepad seasonals, and just good exposure for Oregon in general.
Talk about hype!

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
As well as Kung Fu artists, t0mmy and I are also established cooks.
When i said pitch in for food i was meaning should you need to buy ingredie
Air mattress would be perfect. Or a pad of some kind. If I get a real bed by that time my cot would be available for whoever would want it.

I think we have a party brewing at my place! :^)

The head of Hypest Tournaments, the guys who put on the biggest online Smash tournament said they are backing Oregon Smash!
Not sure why, but it might mean some pretty big exposure for our stream that KB is setting up, events like the Gamepad seasonals, and just good exposure for Oregon in general.
Talk about hype!
this is going to be great!

Serynder

Jigglypuff is the best.
I'm assuming you mean Oregon smash rather than Salem, right? Or are you saying each area of Oregon should have their own local Smash FB group, and then a big Oregon FB group/twitter/etc?
Kind of want to echo what Jaxas asked and see if you meant to type "Oregon" instead of "Salem". I'll assume that's what it was though just to speed the conversation up a bit because I am kind of excited about sharing some things.
I sincerely apologize! I absolutely did mean Oregon Smash as a whole, and not just in the Salem area! That was directed towards what was mentioned previously, as far as the community in the state of Oregon being separated due to a lack of a common ground, when it comes to networking. I'm happy that my message was treated as though I'd clarified that, despite my mistake!

It sounds like this GamePadArena organization is really going to be a large contributing factor to the success of the Oregon Smash scene, and I find that really admirable. As far as the Facebook group, I'm all for the idea of adding the collective TO's of the region, having them informed of the group's purpose and strategy for the community's connectivity, and having them add in members and supporters of their area's scene. Then having a Twitter, or another kind of page that can be updated with large news and informative articles for the region, with which said TO's would have access to, pinned for all to see and be able to check regularly, and with ease.

Edit: Or if the GamePadArena site has such a feature available on their site(I haven't yet checked it), then that would be perfect!

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Well, last night's test run with the stream was a great success!

Kinich did his magic with the setup, commentated, and made some great overlays for the stream.
The League provided the venue and most of the equipment, we had the stream setup, the competition area, and then the livestream playing on the TV at the bar - if you thought watching the stream was fun then just imagine being there with the studio lights and live crowd.
Ayla stopped by with some additional equipment and talked to me about some Gamepad news as well as competed in the tournament herself. She wants me to host alongside Justin, but I have been kind of avoiding hosting events so I can focus on just playing and the amount of help I did hosting the last Big City Gamin' was just a little too much to enjoy playing as well, haha.
But it's all good. Since I'll be there, I will help out however I can like usual, but I suggested @ Jaxas Jaxas could oversee brackets since the event might run Swiss brackets first (he runs Swiss brackets every week and knows his stuff).

@ Serynder Serynder No apologies needed, it's all good since the message came through in context. Yeah, GPA's site is integrating a way to pool all info together for gaming events in Oregon (and looking to include all of Pac NW). TO's can promote their event on that page by using the form on their Event Page.
I'm unfamiliar with Facebook, so not sure if there is a way to have it set up so multiple people can operate one or if we'd just share the password with the TO's who are updating things.
Edit: Apparently there's an admin option so multiple people can update and other things.

Last edited:

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Is there going to be a listing for RTG1, @tommy? It seems like this thread has mostly turned into discussion about RTG, rather than a social-thread.

On another note about the tournament, how should I go about RSVPing for multiple events?

I'd like to RSVP for Smash 4 singles and doubles, but it will only let me select one option. Should I do the entire process twice? Also, should I count my teammate as an "additional guest", or what?

Thanks in advance.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Is there going to be a listing for RTG1, @tommy? It seems like this thread has mostly turned into discussion about RTG, rather than a social-thread.
Yeah, good point, conversation can move over there. And there was a listing for it:
Road to Glory #1

I'd like to RSVP for Smash 4 singles and doubles, but it will only let me select one option. Should I do the entire process twice? Also, should I count my teammate as an "additional guest", or what?
Looks like the site is fixed now, it has checkboxes for me.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yeah, the Dragon Punch last night was lively and fun. I'm looking forward to next week's and I hope all of you can jump into the chat again. :)

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
I have some questions about road to glory and about your TOing in general.

Why is the registration fee 10 for RtG?

At ultimate oregon smash you guys charged a venue fee and it was later found out that the venue was actually free. You said that the extra cash was going to be used to better the scene. Also it has come my attention that you have run 4 other tournaments since then and have overchatged at those events aswell. Can you give examples of how you have used that money to better your future tournaments?

Do you have an exact number for the money you have saved up?

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
Also for newer members in this group pretty much everyone in oregon uses facebook to schedule events and plan fests so please join them! There are 3 big ones (portland, Corvallis, and Eugene. I know there is also one for southern oregon)
Portland: can i get a **** iceman? Official oregon competitive melee group
Eugene: eugene smash bros. community
Corvallis: corvallis melee

Dont discouraged by the names, its all the smash games and not just limited to melee.

Also if you were to join 1 i would suggest joining the portland one because it is the main oregon group.

Last edited:

Ja-fraud

Smash Rookie
@ Marthcrazy101 Marthcrazy101 - Join the corvallis melee facebook page. There was a melee/smash 4 tournament last weekend and there might be a free/for fun tournament tonight at the weekly smash fest.

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
Ive been to a bunch of corvallis tournaments. In fact there was one last weekend at the big LAN thing the school hosts. If you join the corvallis melee group you will be more in the loop.
also im pretty sure evry friday they host friendlies at wilson dorm

T0MMY

Smash Master
I have some questions about road to glory and about your TOing in general.
Why is the registration fee 10 for RtG?
Hi Ben!
I helped set up the event Pixelbattles since he had people asking for a Smash tournament there and word got to me to work things out. Since then I've been doing most the planning for the event. Although Justin and Ayla would be the best people to talk to about the venue fee since they are the official owners of the businesses involved I would say the $10 goes to paying for expenses and getting paid for the work.

At ultimate oregon smash you guys charged a venue fee and it was later found out that the venue was actually free. You said that the extra cash was going to be used to better the scene. Also it has come my attention that you have run 4 other tournaments since then and have overchatged at those events aswell. Can you give examples of how you have used that money to better your future tournaments?
I think you are mistaking me with the TOs of Ultimate Oregon, I can give you their contact info if you'd like. As I was asked last minute just to help host so it wouldn't be canceled.

Do you have an exact number for the money you have saved up?
Yeah, I am officially a millionaire now.
There's absolutely no way I have lost money hosting Smash tournaments for nearly a decade now. Haha.

Thanks for coming by and giving your Facebook group info, I've been wanting to get all the facebook info together so I can post it in a section in the 1st post of this thread. Could you (or anyone else) help me out with posting the links to all the Oregon groups so I can put them together?

If you need anything else feel free to ask at the Fight or Flight event coming up if you'll be there.

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
Ive talked with ayla and she said that she was holding onto the money for you so you could eventually buy stream equipment. So implying that the organizer (who would that be? Jon?) Has the money isnt true.

She also said that half of the registration fee goes to venue and the other half goes to the TOs in charge. Aka you. What do you plan on doing with that extra money?

She also said that she has pretty much nothing to do with this tournament (rtg) and that you were the main organizer along with the venue owner. Do you know how much the venue costs?

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
:crazy:Someone should host a corvallis tourney... There are NONE.
There should be plenty of Corvallis events going on there. I would think someone from that area should post something up here at Smashboards, though.

Oh, and I'd like to extend a hearty welcome to you while I'm at it.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
idk anyone around here who plays wii u seriously besides myself. lots of melee folks though
With the work going on hopefully this issue of difficulty finding people to practice with will be addressed. An open and networked Smash Community is what I've been asked to help with, though. Until the networking is in place we can just do our own part to support the Smash scene and build it up the best we can.
I'd offer to help, but Corvallis is a little inaccessible to me. However if you need anything, just let me know!

:crazy:Someone should host a corvallis tourney... There are NONE.
I hear ya!
See Zubola's post! He's in Corvallis, so you two can be the two sparks that light a fire if you so desire. There's plenty others out there who are looking for Smash events/practice groups in your area, and if you've come to Smashboards you're at the right place - Let me know if you need anything, because things are really starting to take off and I don't want us to miss any opportunities.

@ The Jizzard The Jizzard
The only money Ayla has from me is whatever funds I'm donating to go towards the Oregon Smash Community. Gamepad is doing some great work for the community and one of the few organizations I am confident in donating to. No implications; simply said I can get you contact info for the TOs if needed, just PM me if you'd like.

Speaking of which...
I am hoping to have most of that donation go towards streaming equipment for Smash events!
But I'll have more info on that exciting news tonight as I'm going to be speaking with Kinich this evening. I'll see what he has in store for us soon.

She also said that she has pretty much nothing to do with this tournament (rtg) and that you were the main organizer along with the venue owner.
If that is what she said, she's probably just being humble; I think she just believes I deserve a lot more compensation for all the work I do for the community X^)

Do you know how much the venue costs?
Yeah, I was part of the meeting with her and the owner when I introduced them, his original quote was $200 for the venue from 10am to 4pm. I've since let her know that's not enough time for the event since it is set to be bigger than her usual monthlies, so there's some further negotiating to have the venue as long as needed. I believe it's probably about settled to have the owner take 50% of the venue fee.

So to say the cost is quite a lot to shoulder is an understatement; the entire event was going to be canceled due to no alternative (Big City Gamin' won't be able to fit the amount of people interested in the event and all other venues were actually more expensive) but I offered to cover costs because there were so many people interested in this happening I didn't want to see it canceled.

She also said that half of the registration fee goes to venue and the other half goes to the TOs in charge. Aka you. What do you plan on doing with that extra money?
I was thinking maybe hot tub jacuzzi in a fancy Vegas hotel then take a limo to do some high rolling black jack before being whisked away in a private jet to a condo in the pacific.

Last edited:

Marthcrazy101

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hunterkasper
With the work going on hopefully this issue of difficulty finding people to practice with will be addressed. An open and networked Smash Community is what I've been asked to help with, though. Until the networking is in place we can just do our own part to support the Smash scene and build it up the best we can.
I'd offer to help, but Corvallis is a little inaccessible to me. However if you need anything, just let me know!

I hear ya!
See Zubola's post! He's in Corvallis, so you two can be the two sparks that light a fire if you so desire. There's plenty others out there who are looking for Smash events/practice groups in your area, and if you've come to Smashboards you're at the right place - Let me know if you need anything, because things are really starting to take off and I don't want us to miss any opportunities.

@ The Jizzard The Jizzard
The only money Ayla has from me is whatever funds I'm donating to go towards the Oregon Smash Community. Gamepad is doing some great work for the community and one of the few organizations I am confident in donating to. No implications; simply said I can get you contact info for the TOs if needed, just PM me if you'd like.

Speaking of which...
I am hoping to have most of that donation go towards streaming equipment for Smash events!
But I'll have more info on that exciting news tonight as I'm going to be speaking with Kinich this evening. I'll see what he has in store for us soon.

If that is what she said, she's probably just being humble; I think she just believes I deserve a lot more compensation for all the work I do for the community X^)

Yeah, I was part of the meeting with her and the owner when I introduced them, his original quote was $200 for the venue from 10am to 4pm. I've since let her know that's not enough time for the event since it is set to be bigger than her usual monthlies, so there's some further negotiating to have the venue as long as needed. I believe it's probably about settled to have the owner take 50% of the venue fee.

So to say the cost is quite a lot to shoulder is an understatement; the entire event was going to be canceled due to no alternative (Big City Gamin' won't be able to fit the amount of people interested in the event and all other venues were actually more expensive) but I offered to cover costs because there were so many people interested in this happening I didn't want to see it canceled.

I was thinking maybe hot tub jacuzzi in a fancy Vegas hotel then take a limo to do some high rolling black jack before being whisked away in a private jet to a condo in the pacific.
There's only one problem. I barely play melee. I have tried it and need to get into it, but currently I play smash 4 and brawl. Perhaps Zubola could teach me melee. Man, i'm such a noob as I started with brawl. Oh man...

Zubola

Smash Cadet
There's only one problem. I barely play melee. I have tried it and need to get into it, but currently I play smash 4 and brawl. Perhaps Zubola could teach me melee. Man, i'm such a noob as I started with brawl. Oh man...
idk how to play melee ヽ(´ー`)ノ can play smash 4 tho

btw do you go to OSU?

Top Bottom