• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I have a potentially stupid question, but does anybody have a rough idea on who the most popular Advance Wars characters are? I was thinking about FEH's Choose Your Legends event (vote Gatekeeper, btw), and now I'm wondering if, assuming the mobile rumors are true, what an AW-themed voting event would look like.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I have a potentially stupid question, but does anybody have a rough idea on who the most popular Advance Wars characters are? I was thinking about FEH's Choose Your Legends event (vote Gatekeeper, btw), and now I'm wondering if, assuming the mobile rumors are true, what an AW-themed voting event would look like.
I imagine Sami, Nell, & Lin would dominate every poll given their popularity. Voting Events would probably be less frequent compared to FEH but I imagine it would include all CO's regardless of gender and would be for CO Skills and alt costumes.
If possible, I see Antony Del Rio (Pit/Dark Pit) voicing Andy.
That's another good choice but i'd rather Andy not sound like Pit lol.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So, um... any luck with the mobile announcement?
Guess not (sigh).

I guess we'll have to wait for March or even early-May for the year-end investor meeting.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

But in all seriousness, I told you that nothing much would happen this month, never mind on the first day. They're still focused on marketing SM3DWDX+BF until it releases next week. Wouldn't expect any new game announcements until around mid-late March at the earliest. :deathstare:

Reactions: Ura

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
On today's episode of "The Obscure Nintendo Character of the Day Twitter Account acknowledges Advance/Battalion Wars":

This really is gonna become my "thing" here, isn't it?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
On today's episode of "The Obscure Nintendo Character of the Day Twitter Account acknowledges Advance/Battalion Wars":

This really is gonna become my "thing" here, isn't it?
For some reason when I first glanced at your post I read it as "Official Nintendo Twitter acknowledges Advance Wars" and I nearly had a heart attack (in excitement).

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Welp, looks like we're getting a full-blown 50 minute Direct tomorrow. As for what I expect, I think it'll most likely highlight games releasing that we already know about and of course a heavy Zelda focus with the 35th anniversary in mind.

In regards to Advance Wars, I want to believe this is where we'll finally get the announcement but then again, IntSys is likely to reveal whatever FE remake they've been working on. Methinks we won't be hearing about AW until that game releases probably in May/June if I were to guess.

Of course i'd really love to be wrong but I get that gut feeling. If nothing else, I hope we at least get the mobile announcement in the coming month or so and maybe a Switch game proper in the latter half of the year.

If nothing else, Golden Sun being revealed tomorrow would inspire a lot of confidence in Advance Wars returning. Let's hope at least one of the two shows up.
For some reason when I first glanced at your post I read it as "Official Nintendo Twitter acknowledges Advance Wars" and I nearly had a heart attack (in excitement).
Hopefully this will be an actual tweet sometime this year lol.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

But in all seriousness, I told you that nothing much would happen this month, never mind on the first day. They're still focused on marketing SM3DWDX+BF until it releases next week. Wouldn't expect any new game announcements until around mid-late March at the earliest. :deathstare:
Looks like I was half-right, huh. The "announce news after big-name game's release" pattern has rung true yet again.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Shinobi you tease...

1613527527997.png

Shinobi has talked about how much he loves both Advance Wars & Golden Sun before so this might not be a hint per se but if it is then holy ****. Well here's hoping haha.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Dunno if any of you guys saw this, but in responding to the Triangle Strategy Demo survey, they mention Advance Wars in the section of tactics games. It's at the very least still acknowledged and named as a good tactics series :)
tactics.png

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So coming out of the Sakurai Presents, Sakurai's comments about not having Rex in Pyra/Mythra's moveset does concern me a little bit. Mainly because he cited 8-Player Smash as a reason why it wouldn't work. Given my Andy moveset concept involves having a bunch of units onstage, it does worry me a bit if it can be implemented in 8-Player Smash's. Of course they could just have one unit being summoned at a time and hopefully that won't cause any problems. Just thinking this over.

Also, Sakurai more or less confirmed that these last two packs will be the last ones so we can kiss FP3 goodbye. Here's hoping that Mobile announcement happens at the end of the month of in the first week of May. Our best hopes are for the Fighter 11 spot IMO.
Dunno if any of you guys saw this, but in responding to the Triangle Strategy Demo survey, they mention Advance Wars in the section of tactics games. It's at the very least still acknowledged and named as a good tactics series :)
View attachment 305678
Oh yeah I saw the survey. It was really neat to see Advance Wars included on a survey for a big upcoming game like that. Of course it had like every single TBS game ever on there but still lol.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, Sakurai more or less confirmed that these last two packs will be the last ones so we can kiss FP3 goodbye.
I still think he wanted to word it in a way that wouldn't blatantly confirm FP3. If he said we'd only have a few more chances left instead of two, guess what we'd immediately jump to?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So coming out of the Sakurai Presents, Sakurai's comments about not having Rex in Pyra/Mythra's moveset does concern me a little bit. Mainly because he cited 8-Player Smash as a reason why it wouldn't work. Given my Andy moveset concept involves having a bunch of units onstage, it does worry me a bit if it can be implemented in 8-Player Smash's. Of course they could just have one unit being summoned at a time and hopefully that won't cause any problems. Just thinking this over.

Also, Sakurai more or less confirmed that these last two packs will be the last ones so we can kiss FP3 goodbye. Here's hoping that Mobile announcement happens at the end of the month of in the first week of May. Our best hopes are for the Fighter 11 spot IMO.

Oh yeah I saw the survey. It was really neat to see Advance Wars included on a survey for a big upcoming game like that. Of course it had like every single TBS game ever on there but still lol.
I don't think technical limitations should be a concern for us. Any unit summoning moveset would likely use 2D sprites for the units, so they shouldn't be too taxing on the hardware.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I still think he wanted to word it in a way that wouldn't blatantly confirm FP3. If he said we'd only have a few more chances left instead of two, guess what we'd immediately jump to?
I mean he said there was only two so I can't see any more Challenger Packs after this (and by proxy, another Fighters Pass). With that being said, the wording does allow for the possibility of character-only DLC which I think might be the case. I can think of a few characters who fit that bill pretty nicely.
I don't think technical limitations should be a concern for us. Any unit summoning moveset would likely use 2D sprites for the units, so they shouldn't be too taxing on the hardware.
True that though I would hope said sprites are from the battle animations and not the chibi overworld ones like the old AT. My concern is if summoning too many units will cause the game to slow down which is why I considered the possibility of one unit being summoned at a time. It's either that or there would have be a wacky rule in 8-Player Smash that limits the amount of units summoned if there's too many Andy's lol.

ShotoStar

Smash Cadet
Random 3 am post in the Andy Support thread, of which I've never actually been to before........ classic Shoto move right there. Uh, Question just cause I'm including Andy/An Advance Wars character in my personal Smash Bros Project: What Stage would an Advance Wars character bring?

I've always had a hard time with figuring that out. There's characters that are obvious such as Venus Lighthouse = Isaac, Kamurocho = Kiryu, A DKC2/Tropical Freeze stage = Dixie, etc. etc. stuff that just works, that's obvious, but for Advance Wars... nothing comes to mind. Also sign me up for the Support thread, please! Never hurts to get new Nintendo franchises in Smash and Advance Wars is pretty neat.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
AW stages have been brought up before in this thread if you're willing to dig through the previous pages.

But my thought for an AW stage would be pretty simple: the stage would just be called "Orange Star HQ" and you would fight on the ground with the HQ in the background (with walk-offs on either end). Various AW units would periodically come onto the stage and attack. And like Prism Tower or some of the other stages, there could be a platform that comes up from the ground and takes the fighters into the air around the HQ, where some of the AW air units fly onto the screen.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Random 3 am post in the Andy Support thread, of which I've never actually been to before........ classic Shoto move right there. Uh, Question just cause I'm including Andy/An Advance Wars character in my personal Smash Bros Project: What Stage would an Advance Wars character bring?

I've always had a hard time with figuring that out. There's characters that are obvious such as Venus Lighthouse = Isaac, Kamurocho = Kiryu, A DKC2/Tropical Freeze stage = Dixie, etc. etc. stuff that just works, that's obvious, but for Advance Wars... nothing comes to mind. Also sign me up for the Support thread, please! Never hurts to get new Nintendo franchises in Smash and Advance Wars is pretty neat.
I mentioned this on Page 47 of the thread but what I had in mind for an Advance Wars stage is basically what you would expect from an Advance Wars battle only in the form of a platform fighter.

So basically, you want to imagine two rival HQ's that can be captured by anyone on the stage. From there on, cities can be captured along with bases to deploy units to fight for the player. Then of course, enemy properties can be captured to turn the tide of battle. I also imagine two ports for sea units like Battleships/Cruisers as well as an airport for air strikes. Maybe even have CO's be summoned to use their CO Powers (i.e. Eagle letting the player strike twice as fast, Olaf freezing enemy units, etc).

That's the gist of it but I think that's the direction an AW stage would go for to capture the feel of what this franchise is all about.

Thanks for the support BTW! I'll add you to the list.
AW stages have been brought up before in this thread if you're willing to dig through the previous pages.

But my thought for an AW stage would be pretty simple: the stage would just be called "Orange Star HQ" and you would fight on the ground with the HQ in the background (with walk-offs on either end). Various AW units would periodically come onto the stage and attack. And like Prism Tower or some of the other stages, there could be a platform that comes up from the ground and takes the fighters into the air around the HQ, where some of the AW air units fly onto the screen.
I had something similar in mind before though it was more like a transitioning stage going from a city, to the sea and then, in the air. Looking back in hindsight, something like that might be too difficult to pull off so I like the newer idea I came up with.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Random shower thought. If the Advance Wars Mobile rumors are true, that would mean we would get a brand new set of remixed theme songs for all the CO's and possibly even some other themes covered as well. I think that could be a selling point for Advance Wars over say, Golden Sun for an example because the development team wouldn't have to spend extra money on making new covers themselves barring 2-3 remixes.

I think it would also be something like :ultsteve: where the majority of the tracks come from one game in the series.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So y'all probably heard the news about the weird Pikmin mobile game being announced just now. It looks like Nintendo is finally getting around announcing their new mobile titles and the timing lines up from what their mobile partner told us back in May.

I have a good feeling about next week peeps. Let's hope for the best! :)

EDIT: Welp, i'll take the big fat L on this one. Let's hope we finally get the reveal on the May 6th/7th year-end investor meeting because beyond that, I won't bother to speculate further.
You ever stop and consider how many AW characters are considered obscure?

Well I mean everyone other than Andy & Sami might as well be obscure lol. And even then, those two aren't super well known outside of Smash Speculation and hardcore AW fans.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
From Shinobi, just remember to hype responsibly.
I saw that as I mentioned in the newcomer thread. Shinobi being a big fan of both these series is great to see but this is like the 2/17 Direct all over again. Just him expressing his desire for these two franchises to return. No point in going overboard with hype when Mario Golf is releasing this month and an FE Remake is very likely releasing this year. In that regard, fat chance on either series being at E3 this year.

On a more positive note, I do think there's a fairly good chance for Advance Wars mid-late next year. Given all the rumors, COVID delays and what have you. I know I said I didn't want to speculate any further but I just wanted to throw that out. And hey who knows, we might see the mobile game somewhere in the interim.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Are we cowards, or do we just not want to be burnt again? Because to be honest, I can't tell the difference anymore...
Most likely the latter, i've been burned at every corner for so many years that i'm almost afraid to get my hopes up. More so this E3 when I know going in that barring some kind of miracle, Advance Wars has no chance to show up at this event. The earliest we could see Advance Wars return is 2022 and that's me being cautiously optimistic.
i wonder if it will be possible to make a switch wars game with game builder garage? hmmm
I have no idea how that would work lol.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hey y'all.

So tomorrow is the big day for Smash news and whatnot. Obviously, i've talked about how I don't expect to see anything Advance Wars related given what I mentioned above. I figured I would make this post because I get the feeling the newcomer threads might close down soon given we're reaching the end of speculation.

Aside from that, there's not much else to say. I don't expect Advance Wars tomorrow but maybe just MAYBE we might get a MP4-esque reveal for Advance Wars to release in 2022. Unlikely? Sure, but I like to imagine that happening anyways. Honestly, something as simple as a logo and "Releasing 2022" is more than enough for me and pretty much everyone else that's a fan of Advance Wars lol.

Top Bottom