• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I really think that's just a Smash 4 related shirt.

but here's hoping...
Yeah like I said it's most likely pointing to the Smash 4 custom icon that you would use to customize your fighter though with custom moves gone it really baffles me why it's still there.

Not much to hold your breath for but I find it really weird given what we just found out.

Unrelated but Page 10 hype lets go! We double digit now boys!

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Funny, there was a post on the Advance Wars sub-reddit which speculated that the Advance Wars logo was shown off among some other franchises at the Smash Invitational. But then it was quickly pointed out that the wrench shown there was from the custom icon from Smash 4 so that deflated my hype on the spot lol. Here's the link to what i'm talking about.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Advance_Wars/comments/8qn544/look_at_the_series_symbols_on_tkbreezys_shirt/

That being said though, Nintendo confirmed that custom moves aren't returning which is why i'm confused that the logo would even be shown there. Let alone the fact the the custom logo is so arbitrary and not even a Smash universe the way Kirby, FE, and AC are.

Regardless, I don't think that points to Andy really and as for his chances to make SSBU, he needs to be the retro character (psuedo-retro I guess) or he's not getting in.
He has nothing to do with the development of Smash Ultimate and that shirt is clearly fan made. Sorry to burst your bubble, buddy.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
He has nothing to do with the development of Smash Ultimate and that shirt is clearly fan made. Sorry to burst your bubble, buddy.
How is the shirt fan-made? I mean how do you know that?

And also I know the logo on the shirt is referencing the custom icon from Smash 4. I made that clear in my post.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I may be wrong but Nintendo doesn't usually make official merchandise of their products, specially not shirts and stuff. Either way they wouldn't make an advance wars or let's say a golden sun logo in specifically a smash 4 shirt if it were a real one.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I may be wrong but Nintendo doesn't usually make official merchandise of their products, specially not shirts and stuff. Either way they wouldn't make an advance wars or let's say a golden sun logo in specifically a smash 4 shirt if it were a real one.
It could have been an exception for Smash? IDK really. Whether or not it was fan-made it's clear that it was referencing the Smash 4 custom icon and most likely not the Advance Wars logo. Then again IDK why they would show off a new series in Smash like that which is why I can't look much in to it.

Do you support Andy? I just assumed since you posted here that you do but I wanted to see before I added you to the support list.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Well, everyone I ever wanted is already in Smash with a few exceptions I'd like to see but wouldn't mind not having. I usually just check subforums of characters people want (and comprehend their reasoning behind it). But feel free to add me if you want, I do enjoy having new series represented.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well you're going to find a lot of straw-grasping from me because that's usually what I do best around here lol. Well that and a bunch of fanart that I post here.

But yeah welcome to the club dude! Feel free to stick around!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Andy...

The only Advance Wars game I REALLY played is Days of Ruin, and I really liked that game and it’s darker tone, more interesting story, and the gameplay of Advance Wars in general. Days of Ruin was overall a better game in the Advance Wars series for me.

I don’t really like the setting and theme of the first two games so I would rather have Will (William) the protagonist of Days of Ruin get added over Andy. But that’s just me.

I hope Advance Wars gets some more recognition like a War Stage or something.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I mean every invitational player was wearing a matching Smash shirt

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Andy...

The only Advance Wars game I REALLY played is Days of Ruin, and I really liked that game and it’s darker tone, more interesting story, and the gameplay of Advance Wars in general. Days of Ruin was overall a better game in the Advance Wars series for me.

I don’t really like the setting and theme of the first two games so I would rather have Will (William) the protagonist of Days of Ruin get added over Andy. But that’s just me.

I hope Advance Wars gets some more recognition like a War Stage or something.
I respect your opinion and all but Days of Ruin felt like a pretty big deviation to what Advance Wars was all about. I mean it's a great game and all but it just doesn't feel like the Advance Wars most of us remembered from our childhood y'know? I think I would appreciate it a lot more if it were it's own series.

Andy; IMO represents the Wars series a lot more faithfully than Will could ever do mainly because he embodies the happy-go-lucky feel the Wars series is known for and well...his wrench is literally in the logo for the Wars World Trilogy lol.

That being said if Intelligent Systems were to ever continue the Days of Ruin storyline I think Will could have a chance for Smash. Though personally, I would want Andy a whole lot more and realistically I think that's what Sakurai would go for given he's the first central protag of the series. Granted if he ever does do anything with the series beyond it's Assist Trophy lol.

An Advance Wars stage would be great but it would feel like a massive tease to have a stage and not a character. At least that's how I feel. I did mention before my idea for a stage based on AW that would rotate between an area in the city, at sea, and in the air while other CO's would act as stage hazards using their CO Power's.
I mean every invitational player was wearing a matching Smash shirt
TBH I wasn't even paying attention to that lol. People are more quick to spot these details than I am.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I respect your opinion and all but Days of Ruin felt like a pretty big deviation to what Advance Wars was all about. I mean it's a great game and all but it just doesn't feel like the Advance Wars most of us remembered from our childhood y'know? I think I would appreciate it a lot more if it were it's own series.

Andy; IMO represents the Wars series a lot more faithfully than Will could ever do mainly because he embodies the happy-go-lucky feel the Wars series is known for and well...his wrench is literally in the logo for the Wars World Trilogy lol.

That being said if Intelligent Systems were to ever continue the Days of Ruin storyline I think Will could have a chance for Smash. Though personally, I would want Andy a whole lot more and realistically I think that's what Sakurai would go for given he's the first central protag of the series. Granted if he ever does do anything with the series beyond it's Assist Trophy lol.

An Advance Wars stage would be great but it would feel like a massive tease to have a stage and not a character. At least that's how I feel. I did mention before my idea for a stage based on AW that would rotate between an area in the city, at sea, and in the air while other CO's would act as stage hazards using their CO Power's.

TBH I wasn't even paying attention to that lol. People are more quick to spot these details than I am.
I respect that, though Days of Ruin was supposed to be just, a shift in tone for the Series.

The developers wanted to change the tone for the series since it felt repetitive after they made the first two sequels. This is why they made Days of Ruin have a darker tone and more gripping story compare to the last three games... and it worked.

Advance Wars was declining in sales after the second and third game, while Days of Ruin went to outsold those two games, even nearing the sales of the first game. It marked a rise for the series, but they never made a new game. So, due to the success after the new story line, I suspect that they would have started from the Days of Ruin story line if they were making a new game, and why I feel that if an Advance Wars character gets in, it could also be Will. But Andy is the OG character of the series, so we’ll see how it turns out.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I respect that, though Days of Ruin was supposed to be just, a shift in tone for the Series.

The developers wanted to change the tone for the series since it felt repetitive for sequels. This is why Days of Ruin has a darker tone and more gripping story compare to the last three games, and it worked.

Advance Wars was declining in sales after the second and third game, while Days of Ruin went to outsold those two games, even nearing the sales of the first game. It marked a rise for the series, but they never made a new game. So, due to the success after the new story line, I suspect that they would have started from the Days of Ruin story line if they were making a new game, and why I feel that if an Advance Wars character gets in, it could also be Will. But Andy is the OG character of the series, so we’ll see how it turns out.
That's actually not true.

Well I mean your right about Intelligent Systems wanting to do something different for DoR and that was actually talked about in a developer interview I found on YT. The reasons for that had more to do with gamers saying that they loved Advance Wars but they wanted to see something different out of it.

What's not true is DoR outselling Black Hole Rising. Dual Strike's sales performance had to do with poor marketing in Japan though i'm not entirely sure about Europe. It did just fine in North America though not spectacular. AW2 sold a little bit more than DoR though not by much.

The general feeling among Advance Wars fans is that the series should go back to it's roots. Although what I expect to see from a new Advance Wars is something in between the Wars World Trilogy and Days of Ruin. Obviously not as dark as Days of Ruin but a bit more serious in tone compared to Wars World Advance Wars. So basically kinda where Fire Emblem is at lol. And for what it's worth I expect a completely new setting for said new game should it happen.

DoR I expect could get some content in Smash if Andy got in. Like maybe Andy could be a playable fighter and replacing the Infantry & Tanks AT is a DoR character like Will, Lin, or Brenner. Also maybe some DoR tracks and trophies to go with that as well though more of an emphasis on Wars World Advance Wars.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
That's actually not true.

Well I mean your right about Intelligent Systems wanting to do something different for DoR and that was actually talked about in a developer interview I found on YT. The reasons for that had more to do with gamers saying that they loved Advance Wars but they wanted to see something different out of it.

What's not true is DoR outselling Black Hole Rising. Dual Strike's sales performance had to do with poor marketing in Japan though i'm not entirely sure about Europe. It did just fine in North America though not spectacular. AW2 sold a little bit more than DoR though not by much.

The general feeling among Advance Wars fans is that the series should go back to it's roots. Although what I expect to see from a new Advance Wars is something in between the Wars World Trilogy and Days of Ruin. Obviously not as dark as Days of Ruin but a bit more serious in tone compared to Wars World Advance Wars. So basically kinda where Fire Emblem is at lol. And for what it's worth I expect a completely new setting for said new game should it happen.

DoR I expect could get some content in Smash if Andy got in. Like maybe Andy could be a playable fighter and replacing the Infantry & Tanks AT is a DoR character like Will, Lin, or Brenner. Also maybe some DoR tracks and trophies to go with that as well though more of an emphasis on Wars World Advance Wars.
Eh, well DOR still did well after Dual Strike but the series didn’t continue afterwards. Either way, I agree and I expect a less dark but more serious game if they ever make a sequel.

Although I can see why people want Advance Wars to go to it’s roots, the first three games focused a lot more on gameplay but had a mediocre story to gauge interest to keep playing through the game. That’s why I went through all of DOR. But I love playing the Multiplayer in all the games.

I just hoped the series is revived because I feel that the series could do well if put in the right hands and enough time and effort put into it.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Eh, well DOR still did well after Dual Strike but the series didn’t continue afterwards. Either way, I agree and I expect a less dark but more serious game if they ever make a sequel.

Although I can see why people want Advance Wars to go to it’s roots, those games focused a lot more on gameplay but had a mediocre story to gauge interest to keep playing through the game. That’s why I went through all of DOR. But I love playing the Multiplayer in all the games.
Well it's more like a story that doesn't take itself too seriously much like what the franchise was known for before that. Lets not forget Super Famicom Wars featured a CO named Hetler lol. A simple, dumb plot that had a lovable cast of vibrant characters.

For a game like that to work, I think it would need to dive in more in terms of setting. It needs to familiarize the players with the nations of the world really well like their cultures and political landscape. Maybe we can even see the political leaders that run the nation as well? Having a player be an OC basically and then choosing what nation you want to be apart of I think could work. Maybe there could be an Academy setting where CO's go to bond since Intelligent Systems wants relationship mechanics in the game. Basically, a really heavy emphasis on the CO's themselves that you could control in game and even level up.

And as DNeon DNeon mentioned, I think it would be a cool idea to have strategic relationships between nations and even have CO's marry one another to strengthen ties. Of course there would still be a big bad villainous nation that everyone has to beat but I think portraying all the nations of the world less buddy buddy would give more of a sense of realism in the world. Like how in the Wars World Trilogy everyone seemed to be the best of friends. The new game should stray from that if it wants to be a bit more serious in tone.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Well it's more like a story that doesn't take itself too seriously much like what the franchise was known for before that. Lets not forget Super Famicom Wars featured a CO named Hetler lol. A simple, dumb plot that had a lovable cast of vibrant characters.

For a game like that to work, I think it would need to dive in more in terms of setting. It needs to familiarize the players with the nations of the world really well like their cultures and political landscape. Maybe we can even see the political leaders that run the nation as well? Having a player be an OC basically and then choosing what nation you want to be apart of I think could work. Maybe there could be an Academy setting where CO's go to bond since Intelligent Systems wants relationship mechanics in the game. Basically, a really heavy emphasis on the CO's themselves that you could control in game and even level up.

And as DNeon DNeon mentioned, I think it would be a cool idea to have strategic relationships between nations and even have CO's marry one another to strengthen ties. Of course there would still be a big bad villainous nation that everyone has to beat but I think portraying all the nations of the world less buddy buddy would give more of a sense of realism in the world. Like how in the Wars World Trilogy everyone seemed to be the best of friends. The new game should stray from that if it wants to be a bit more serious in tone.
Basically Fire Emblem’s dating sim mechanics from Awakening. Lol, I guess it makes sense.

I want another game in the series that at least gives player motivation to keep playing the game, DOR was a good starting point. A clear main villain with unique goals and desires that have to be stopped by a group of heroes. A diverse world with diverse unites, as you said could work. Maybe even have some of the political leaders pick sides and even betray their sides sometimes. Just not something too light hearted as the first two. I mean it’s a damn WAR!

Jokes aside a more serious game with motivation and depth in a new setting or a continuation from DOR with clear unique villains and heroes is something I want from a new game in the series.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Basically Fire Emblem’s dating sim mechanics from Awakening. Lol, I guess it makes sense.

I want another game in the series that at least gives player motivation to keep playing the game, DOR was a good starting point. A clear main villain with unique goals and desires that have to be stopped by a group of heroes. A diverse world with diverse unites, as you said could work. Maybe even have some of the political leaders pick sides and even betray their sides sometimes. Just not something too light hearted as the first two. I mean it’s a damn WAR!

Jokes aside a more serious game with motivation and depth in a new setting or a continuation from DOR with clear unique villains and heroes is something I want from a new game in the series.
I mean it's not exactly something I would want as a long time fan of the series but it's something I think could make Advance Wars more marketable to a much broader audience. I think that's what Intelligent Systems meant with the whole "relationship mechanics" comment. Bringing in a lot of FE mechanics could probably really help the series and boost it to levels never seen before.

I mean Advance Wars has always had a main villain with the qualities you mentioned. Sturm in AW2 right off the bat states his intention to establish bases in all the nations to take them by force. Von Bolt in Dual Strike isn't shown off immediately but we find out eventually that he wants to drain the life from Omega Land which is a pretty big motivation to stop him. Greyfield in Day of Ruin I think was the most hateable given what he did to Brenner and it was really satisfying to see him get what came to him haha. I guess the only exception to this is Sturm in AW1 who remains a mysterious figure right until the last couple of missions. Even then his goal was to cause chaos and confusion among the nations to conquer them amidst their unrest.

And what I meant by the Campaign was something like a non-linear experience. Usually most Advance Wars campaigns are doing a set of missions in order until the end. With this kind of Campaign, I think there would be be branching paths you could take depending on what nation you belong to and the strategic decisions & alliances made in the Campaign. So different playthroughs in the campaign would give you different missions and objectives. Maybe even have a secret, unlockable Campaign where you get to play as the bad guys for the first time ever?

I also think in addition to Normal and Hard Campaign there would be an Easy Campaign to do akin to Fire Emblem's Casual mode where in game you have an advantage over your opponent and missions are easy to complete. Basically a hand-holdy glorified tutorial for newer players to get comfortable with AW's mechanics and without having long time fans go through a forced tutorial lol.

The idea of political leaders turning their backs on the CO's is a bit confusing because they're basically elected officials of a nation. If they did that then they would get deposed by said nation. I think you might have had Waylon in mind when you said that right? Although I do think it would be an interesting plotline for a nation to have a very unpopular elected official who makes very questionable choices and the CO's have to decide whether to go through with the orders or not.

Of course if it were up to me I would want something akin to the Wars World Trilogy. It's the AW experience that I loved growing up and even now. Maybe that could work as a mobile title now better?

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Woah woah woah, don't put words I my mouth. I definitely said exploring deeper relationships but that was in regards to where you attack first and how you choose to take on a campaign. While I certainly expect IS to go down the dating route since that's just what they know I definitely didn't advocate for it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Woah woah woah, don't put words I my mouth. I definitely said exploring deeper relationships but that was in regards to where you attack first and how you choose to take on a campaign. While I certainly expect IS to go down the dating route since that's just what they know I definitely didn't advocate for it.
Oh yeah for sure dude. I was just saying that's what we expect from IS should there be a new game lol.

Because realistically I can't see another Advance Wars without that. Though personally I think it's only a small price to pay for getting Advance Wars back from the dead.

Last edited:

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
I wouldn't look too far into a shirt that more than likely doesn't represent a game not even out yet.
Looks like a custom icon even if a wrench would likely represent AW should they get a rep.

We only have so long to wait now...

God this wait will surely be the end of me. xD
Hoping to find a job soon so I can actually afford the game, otherwise I'd have to request it for Christmas. QQ

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I wouldn't look too far into a shirt that more than likely doesn't represents a game not even out yet.
Looks like a custom icon even if a wrench would likely represent AW should they get a rep.

We only have so long to wait now...

God this wait will surely be the end of me. xD
Hoping to find a job soon so I can actually afford the game, otherwise I'd have to request it for Christmas. QQ
I have a crazy wacko theory that Sakurai using the custom icon is his way of subtly hinting at Andy's reveal. Of course it has no basis in reality but if people can seriously believe the Waluigi Assist Trophy theory Alphrad mentioned, then I don't see why I can't have my wackjob theory lol.

Yeah the wait is going to be a long one though I don't think it'll be as egregious as the wait in 2015 from June to November. I'm thinking they'll be a newcomer revealed almost every month and they'll be plenty of other updates. Lets hope for our boy huh? Regardless whether or not the Infantry & Tanks Assist Trophy is in or not.

Yeah I need a job myself so I can afford all this stuff lol. Especially since games in Canada are more costly than it is in the US.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So what would be your ideal Advance Wars stage guys?

Mine would be a stage that cycles between a stage in the city, one at sea, and one in the air. You would also be able to summon CO's to assist you like having Olaf freeze the stage or calling in Eagle for an airstrike. There would also be an all out war going on in the background between Orange Star and Black Hole.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Since I'm not really a fan of cycling stages (and the competitive nut in me would hope it could be legal) I'd probably choose a more generic stage like a aircraft carrier, probably viewed front on so you're looking down the run way, and tallness enough to not actually fall in water but instead just hit the bottom blast zone. Could be more interesting than just a flat platform by having parked jets at either end acting as ramps so the stages geometry ends up looking more like a bowl.

However with the option to turn hazards off confirmed it could still be made more exciting with aircraft launching/landing (acting like the cars in Port Town), bombing attacks, a torpedo attack that cause she the stage to shake and water to splash up from the side the ship was hit, maybe even use your ( Ura Ura ) CO assist idea.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Since I'm not really a fan of cycling stages (and the competitive nut in me would hope it could be legal) I'd probably choose a more generic stage like a aircraft carrier, probably viewed front on so you're looking down the run way, and tallness enough to not actually fall in water but instead just hit the bottom blast zone. Could be more interesting than just a flat platform by having parked jets at either end acting as ramps so the stages geometry ends up looking more like a bowl.

However with the option to turn hazards off confirmed it could still be made more exciting with aircraft launching/landing (acting like the cars in Port Town), bombing attacks, a torpedo attack that cause she the stage to shake and water to splash up from the side the ship was hit, maybe even use your ( Ura Ura ) CO assist idea.
Well without stage hazards I think that would work really well as a competitive stage lol. The City stage would essentially be a flat stage with horizontal blastzones and upper ones only. Maybe have the stage located at a base/port/airport? The sea stage I would imagine being like a Battlefield stage with Battleships attacking the stage and what have you. And then the air one would be kinda like Pilotwings only the background effects are much more intense (i.e. fighting going on everywhere and explosions going off).

And then the CO's would be able to be summoned similar to the Summons on the Midgar stage. At least accounting for every nation in the game.

Yeah I should def think this out more clearly. You're idea sounded more detailed and thought out better lol.

Also if you could choose any CO as an Assist Trophy who would it be? My pick would be Hawke and he'd use Black Wave to damage all the enemies and heal whoever summoned him. Would be funny to see Hawke shoot a black wave from his hands lol.

Or even a Days of Ruin CO as an Assist Trophy? Will being an AT would be a good way to showcase the series history beyond the Wars World games.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
A Sturm AT bringing down a meteor seems like a no brainier, though it is simplistic and there's a tonne of 'This AT drops from the sky and hits everything in its path'. I think Olaf doing ice/freeze things to enemies also makes sense, maybe creating an area around his summon spot that has the blizzard and opponents who are in it too long get frozen.

As for who I want? I dunno, Adder is my other favourite to use but he doesn't have a lot to offer on that front. Unless we're just going by their appearances and have Sami and Grit shooting then the only ones that translate fully to the AT spot are either 'persistent battlefield effect' CO powers or Instant Damage ones, nothing that buffs really works.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
A Sturm AT bringing down a meteor seems like a no brainier, though it is simplistic and there's a tonne of 'This AT drops from the sky and hits everything in its path'. I think Olaf doing ice/freeze things to enemies also makes sense, maybe creating an area around his summon spot that has the blizzard and opponents who are in it too long get frozen.

As for who I want? I dunno, Adder is my other favourite to use but he doesn't have a lot to offer on that front. Unless we're just going by their appearances and have Sami and Grit shooting then the only ones that translate fully to the AT spot are either 'persistent battlefield effect' CO powers or Instant Damage ones, nothing that buffs really works.
Sturm would kinda be too OP as an AT yeah lol. I think he might be better suited for one of the bosses in Boss Battles if that mode returned in SSBU.

Olaf is a good idea to but i'm kinda hoping he's one of the stage hazards on a hypothetical AW stage as I mentioned.

Sami and Grit are two AT ideas people have thought of though I think Sami is better off as a Snake semi-clone. Grit would work well if he locks on to a target and he shoots from afar. Like a marksman basically. If you're his target he'll snipe you no matter how far away you are from him. Sounds a little bit too OP huh?

What about Drake as an AT? Do you think his Tsunami could feasibly work and look realistic? I mean for that to happen there would literally have to be a huge wave being washed over the stage which would essentially toss everyone off stage.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Sturm doesn't have to be OP though, unless you consider Snorlax OP.

Also yeah I forgot about Drake's. His could work more like the water transformation of the Kalos Pokemon League where a water hitbox sweeps across the bottom platform of the stage and pushes people with it. Or the

At the end of the day any AT is going to work pretty similarly to a stage hazard so if we want them to be a stage hazard for an AW stage the next that's creeping in to their AT potential.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So here's a question i've been thinking about for a while. How do you envision Andy sounding like? Like what voice comes to mind when you think of Andy?

Personally I think of Tai from Digimon Adventure as what Andy might sound like. I would actually be perfectly content if he sounded like this because I feel this voice would suit him well.
Sturm doesn't have to be OP though, unless you consider Snorlax OP.

Also yeah I forgot about Drake's. His could work more like the water transformation of the Kalos Pokemon League where a water hitbox sweeps across the bottom platform of the stage and pushes people with it. Or the

At the end of the day any AT is going to work pretty similarly to a stage hazard so if we want them to be a stage hazard for an AW stage the next that's creeping in to their AT potential.
I mean a Meteor crashing down on to the stage and sending foes flying kinda sounds somewhat broken right? lol. But yeah would rather have him as a Boss Battle.

Personally I would be fine with Infantry & Tanks retaining their role as an AT. As long as Andy becomes playable.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I personally associate the 'keet' character archetype with Luffy, I think Andy in particular has a lot in common with him really, so I generally asscociate him with that voice, except I'm a weeb so I think of the japanese voice actor which is Mayumi Tanaka. I'm not too familiar with many english voices but I'd go with Vic Mignogna doing Edward Elric, though without the anger abviously.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today officially marks the 15th anniversary of Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising on the Gameboy Advance.

On a personal note, this is my favorite Advance Wars in the entire series. It really up'd everything the first game had to offer and then some with all the extra features added in like the introduction of CO Super Powers', Neotanks, and all the CO's introduced in the game. It wasn't too crazy with additions like Dual Strike was (tag powers being broken and whatnot) and was relatively more balanced than it's successor.

In addition to that Black Hole Rising has my favorite Campaign in the series. I liked how you would go through each nation liberating Black Hole's onslaught on them which all leads the the final conflict of the game where everyone has to team up together to beat Sturm for good. There's also a kind of "cool" factor associated with it because these are the same CO's you faced off against countless times in the AW1 Campaign and getting to play as them in the Campaign was def a cool touch coming of it's prequel. The War Room also got a lot of neat extra maps and introduced some really challenging ones like Risky Vale which is near impossible to do with over half of the CO's in the game.

A lot of people levy criticism on this game for being too much like the first Advance Wars but I think it had enough distinctions to make itself look and feel different from it's predecessor (see above). And I can understand the development philosophy behind it as well. The first Advance Wars did pretty well for itself in the West (especially North America) and the game was met with universal acclaim from fans and critics alike. Keeping the same game overall while having some differences here and there was the best route this game could have taken IMO. It made a near-perfect game that much better.

So what are some memories you guys have of Black Hole Rising? And where would you rank it among the 4 Advance Wars games?
I personally associate the 'keet' character archetype with Luffy, I think Andy in particular has a lot in common with him really, so I generally asscociate him with that voice, except I'm a weeb so I think of the japanese voice actor which is Mayumi Tanaka. I'm not too familiar with many english voices but I'd go with Vic Mignogna doing Edward Elric, though without the anger abviously.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about that. Vic Mignogna would be a great fit to voice Andy if it was similar to Edward Elric. And personally it would be really funny to think the same person that voices Andy does Broly lol. For that reason alone I want to see it happen. :)

I think a male VA that can really do the young pre-teen male voice would be the best fit for Andy personally. Which is why I immediately thought of Tai from Digimon Adventure when I thought of how Andy would sound like. Totally capturing the youthfulness and energetic nature of Andy's personality.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
So what are some memories you guys have of Black Hole Rising? And where would you rank it among the 4 Advance Wars games?
Jesus, because DoR is "only" 10 years old I forget the first games are nearing 20 years...

I loved AW2, like you said the extra balancing was welcome and the expanded cast really is incredible. I personally rate it a very close second behind the first game, but I think that's mostly personal for being the game I discovered the Wars World and its characters through, and being one of the first games in which I really had to stop and think strategically in just to continue the game. I feel if I were being objective then I'd probably rate AW2 first for all of its improvements and how great that expanded cast is.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Andy will be cool I want him in so Bowser Jr has a Rival. Andy will be riding in his tank standard character that will be amazing even know I love to have Sami over Andy but the problem with the character is she use a real gun it effect her chances but thats okay Im on aboard with Andy. If Andy dont make in Smash Ultimate can we have Advance Wars music please.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Jesus, because DoR is "only" 10 years old I forget the first games are nearing 20 years...

I loved AW2, like you said the extra balancing was welcome and the expanded cast really is incredible. I personally rate it a very close second behind the first game, but I think that's mostly personal for being the game I discovered the Wars World and its characters through, and being one of the first games in which I really had to stop and think strategically in just to continue the game. I feel if I were being objective then I'd probably rate AW2 first for all of its improvements and how great that expanded cast is.
Yeah as someone who started with the first one, Black Hole Rising became my favorite even after playing the other titles. Dual Strike was great as well though it's story was complete bonkers (I mentioned this before) and the Campaign/War Room is pretty much a cake-walk for anyone that's ever played the previous games (well AW2's Campaign was a cake walk to but Dual Strike makes it even more easier with Skills and whatnot lol).

To think that the last Advance Wars was 10 years ago. Time isn't exactly AW's best friend huh?
Andy will be cool I want him in so Bowser Jr has a Rival. Andy will be riding in his tank standard character that will be amazing even know I love to have Sami over Andy but the problem with the character is she use a real gun it effect her chances but thats okay Im on aboard with Andy. If Andy dont make in Smash Ultimate can we have Advance Wars music please.
Well personally I envisioned Andy fighting on foot and not just in a tank. Though I get what you're saying. Andy would have a Tank special that would kinda make him a rival to Bowser Jr. lol. Andy would mostly fight with his wrenches but would have several AW units to use as his specials.

Sami could happen but she we need to be a Snake semi-clone to work and Andy has to be in with his own unique moveset as I mentioned above.

And yeah I totally agree about Advance Wars needing music tracks in Smash. It's a shame to think that Brawl and Smash 4 didn't add any tracks from AW when the franchise has so many kickass tracks it could have in the game. Like imagine Eagle's theme on the Pilotwings stage, Grimm's theme on Smashville, and Max' theme on the Punch-Out stage. Smash Ultimate is in serious need of Advance Wars tracks though really I feel it also needs a character and a stage.

Can I put you on the support list BTW?

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You know going back to what I said before, I think it would be really neat if Andy and Snake interacted with each other somehow with all the talk previously about how "Andy should take Snake's moveset" and all.

It would be funny if codecs came back and Snake warns Andy to never take his moveset or he'll "come find him". :b:
Yeah sure put me in the support list.
Done! Welcome to the Orange Star Army!

Or well at least the dollar store version of the Orange Star Army lol.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I've always felt like Fire Emblem's sister series deserved a rep. So I'm all for Andy being in Smash.

As for movesets, I suggest something similar to Jack-O from Guilty Gear Xrd whose playstyle was based on Real Time Strategy games. A lot of unit management to put it simply.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I've always felt like Fire Emblem's sister series deserved a rep. So I'm all for Andy being in Smash.

As for movesets, I suggest something similar to Jack-O from Guilty Gear Xrd whose playstyle was based on Real Time Strategy games. A lot of unit management to put it simply.
*searches up Guilty Gear*

...well that was really something lol. How would it apply to Andy exactly? Just curious.

Though really i'd imagine Andy both fighting with his wrenches (his melee attacks) and summoning the units from Advance Wars (his specials).

Also thanks for supporting! I added you on the support list. And yeah the feeling is mutual lol. Advance Wars with it's history of being on nearly every Nintendo system pre-3DS/Wii U deserves a character in Smash and Andy is the guy to do it; main protag and all. But honestly one wouldn't expect a different answer from me right? lol.

jamesster445

Smash Lord

So there's a lot to unpack here.

-Her normals are basic punches and kicks with a long ranged ball and chain as her weapons.
-Her Specials revolve around her setting up these little houses that spawn little minions that as long as Jack-O isn't in hitstun, will approach and attack the enemy autonomously. She can also pick up these bases and either move them around or delete them. These houses and minions, once deployed get buffed over time as long they're around. Enemies can attack and destroy the bases and minions.
-There are three types of minions. Swords that attack up close, Spears that attack low. And Wands that use little projectiles.
- She has a stance special which allows her to issue orders to the bases and minions. Such as a speed up allowing the minions to approach and attack quicker, or a self destruct order for all minions and bases onscreen. Or she can use the stance to either heal her current units or set up a barrier around herself.
-Lastly there are her throws, ones a piledriver that does a lot of damage but the other allows her to throw someone in all 8 directions.

So a general strategy of the Jack-O player is to set up bases to spawn minions. These minions will attack and overwhelm the foe allowing her to get in and either use high-low mix ups or command grabs. And once in a combo, that 8 way throw is used to end combos by throwing them back into a pit of minions to repeat the process.

My general idea with Andy is that he would use punches, kicks, wrenches maybe infatry weapons for normals, aerials and smash attacks. But have a specials that lets him capture or establish a base that will spawn units. Maybe not as autonomous or as many as Jack-O but they can be upgraded. But another special may allow Andy to issue orders to the units or buff them similar to Jack-O's stance. This is barely an outline and obviously GG isn't a platformer fighter like Smash, but I figure Andy can borrow elements from Jack-O's "skeleton" if you will.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp

So there's a lot to unpack here.

-Her normals are basic punches and kicks with a long ranged ball and chain as her weapons.
-Her Specials revolve around her setting up these little houses that spawn little minions that as long as Jack-O isn't in hitstun, will approach and attack the enemy autonomously. She can also pick up these bases and either move them around or delete them. These houses and minions, once deployed get buffed over time as long they're around. Enemies can attack and destroy the bases and minions.
-There are three types of minions. Swords that attack up close, Spears that attack low. And Wands that use little projectiles.
- She has a stance special which allows her to issue orders to the bases and minions. Such as a speed up allowing the minions to approach and attack quicker, or a self destruct order for all minions and bases onscreen. Or she can use the stance to either heal her current units or set up a barrier around herself.
-Lastly there are her throws, ones a piledriver that does a lot of damage but the other allows her to throw someone in all 8 directions.

So a general strategy of the Jack-O player is to set up bases to spawn minions. These minions will attack and overwhelm the foe allowing her to get in and either use high-low mix ups or command grabs. And once in a combo, that 8 way throw is used to end combos by throwing them back into a pit of minions to repeat the process.

My general idea with Andy is that he would use punches, kicks, wrenches maybe infatry weapons for normals, aerials and smash attacks. But have a specials that lets him capture or establish a base that will spawn units. Maybe not as autonomous or as many as Jack-O but they can be upgraded. But another special may allow Andy to issue orders to the units or buff them similar to Jack-O's stance. This is barely an outline and obviously GG isn't a platformer fighter like Smash, but I figure Andy can borrow elements from Jack-O's "skeleton" if you will.
I forgot about her, I remember vaguely following GGX at EVO and loved the concept of the character.

I do think it runs into some trouble with the varying stage layouts and how to deal with platforms, while also being something that could potentially get out of control and snowball pretty easily once you get a stock or manage to get someone off stage with no burst/return to neutral mechanic in the game. Since Smash doesn't really have a way to treat hitstun consistently I'd also worry about that aspect.

Still, it's been mentioned before around here for Andy to possibly have an 'economy' system where he sets up cities in a similar way to Jack-O on the stage and so long as they remain his or just remain standing he is more powerful because of the economy he has. It could be one special and each of his other moves that involve units get better units for every city in his control. It seems a bit more fitting since AW isn't necessarily about timings and 'spawn rates' (or whatever the proper wording for it is) so much as the use of money (I know RTSes aree also about resources and management but that's more resource flow).

Last edited:
Top Bottom