• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

So there's a lot to unpack here.

-Her normals are basic punches and kicks with a long ranged ball and chain as her weapons.
-Her Specials revolve around her setting up these little houses that spawn little minions that as long as Jack-O isn't in hitstun, will approach and attack the enemy autonomously. She can also pick up these bases and either move them around or delete them. These houses and minions, once deployed get buffed over time as long they're around. Enemies can attack and destroy the bases and minions.
-There are three types of minions. Swords that attack up close, Spears that attack low. And Wands that use little projectiles.
- She has a stance special which allows her to issue orders to the bases and minions. Such as a speed up allowing the minions to approach and attack quicker, or a self destruct order for all minions and bases onscreen. Or she can use the stance to either heal her current units or set up a barrier around herself.
-Lastly there are her throws, ones a piledriver that does a lot of damage but the other allows her to throw someone in all 8 directions.

So a general strategy of the Jack-O player is to set up bases to spawn minions. These minions will attack and overwhelm the foe allowing her to get in and either use high-low mix ups or command grabs. And once in a combo, that 8 way throw is used to end combos by throwing them back into a pit of minions to repeat the process.

My general idea with Andy is that he would use punches, kicks, wrenches maybe infatry weapons for normals, aerials and smash attacks. But have a specials that lets him capture or establish a base that will spawn units. Maybe not as autonomous or as many as Jack-O but they can be upgraded. But another special may allow Andy to issue orders to the units or buff them similar to Jack-O's stance. This is barely an outline and obviously GG isn't a platformer fighter like Smash, but I figure Andy can borrow elements from Jack-O's "skeleton" if you will.
I forgot about her, I remember vaguely following GGX at EVO and loved the concept of the character.

I do think it runs into some trouble with the varying stage layouts and how to deal with platforms, while also being something that could potentially get out of control and snowball pretty easily once you get a stock or manage to get someone off stage with no burst/return to neutral mechanic in the game. Since Smash doesn't really have a way to treat hitstun consistently I'd also worry about that aspect.

Still, it's been mentioned before around here for Andy to possibly have an 'economy' system where he sets up cities in a similar way to Jack-O on the stage and so long as they remain his or just remain standing he is more powerful because of the economy he has. It could be one special and each of his other moves that involve units get better units for every city in his control. It seems a bit more fitting since AW isn't necessarily about timings and 'spawn rates' (or whatever the proper wording for it is) so much as the use of money (I know RTSes aree also about resources and management but that's more resource flow).
Oh yeah I def agree with the concept of Andy using his wrenches and maybe infantry/mech weapons as his melee attacks and then using his units from Advance Wars as his specials. The concept of Andy using a base and buying units was actually an idea TheRealHeroOfWinds TheRealHeroOfWinds came up with in his moveset for Andy. I also had that idea at one point of time but I eventually soured on it because it became more apparent to me that a gimmick where you would have to buy units and open a menu mid-match would be a bit counter-intuitive to both the player and the opponents. But looking back I think that idea could work if A) Andy has a "Building Capture" special to generate funds and B) the menu would have to be really small to not block the screen too much and should only display the icon of the unit and the funds required to purchase said unit.

Of course with that you would also want to integrate Andy's CO Power's in to his moveset. I had an idea where Andy would have a CO Power Meter in game like he does in Advance Wars but TheRealHeroOfWinds thought it would be too complicated to have both that and a unit system. If that's the case then what do you guys think of Andy being able to use Hyper Repair as a standalone ability? i.e. If the player holds down for 2 seconds using Andy, they'll recover 2HP.

And what if Hyper Upgrade was integrated in to Andy's Final Smash in addition to a Megatank? Since Final Smashes in this game are designed to be quick and showy I think it would be neat if Andy recovered 50HP and then got on a Megatank to fire like crazy on everyone on stage. Quick and to the point. What do you guys think?
sign me up
Uhh I checked the support list and you're already on there lol. You must have signed up in the SSB4 days. Welcome back though! :)

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Just so you guys know Andy's being rated on the RTC again today.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Sorry I just got tired of the RTC thread. Too many people act like there's a dead zone between the SNES and anything that came out at the time of Ultimate's planning, and then act like something that came out last year is guaranteed. It's become tedious and annoying.

Not to mention that with how long it's been going on now the list is just knida too stuffed. At least Andy is still top 20 in want but even that's disheartening to me. I hate to call out individual characters because it's obviously a matter of my own opinion but there are some characters sitting around him that just make me think "really, that's where people rate one of my favourites".

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sorry I just got tired of the RTC thread. Too many people act like there's a dead zone between the SNES and anything that came out at the time of Ultimate's planning, and then act like something that came out last year is guaranteed. It's become tedious and annoying.

Not to mention that with how long it's been going on now the list is just knida too stuffed. At least Andy is still top 20 in want but even that's disheartening to me. I hate to call out individual characters because it's obviously a matter of my own opinion but there are some characters sitting around him that just make me think "really, that's where people rate one of my favourites".
Yeah I feel ya. It's really annoying when people keep regurgitating the same crap over and over again about how Andy isn't "retro" enough despite the fact that his franchise goes back all the way to 1988 and that his last appearance in a game was in 2005 (with his last story-significant role being in 2003).

Of course it is pretty hard to argue with these people because they seem so fixated on certain ideas so it's like why even bother y'know?

Which is all the reason why I want to see Andy in this game seeing as everyone has written off his chances and think he'll never happen. I do have some confidence in Andy being the retro character but not enough to say "he's very likely" or "he'll definitely be in the game".

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Yeah I feel ya. It's really annoying when people keep regurgitating the same crap over and over again about how Andy isn't "retro" enough despite the fact that his franchise goes back all the way to 1988 and that his last appearance in a game’s thaty
y was in 2005 (with his last story-significant role being in 2003).

Of course it is pretty hard to argue with these people because they seem so fixated on certain ideas so it's like why even bother y'know?

Which is all the reason why I want to see Andy in this game seeing as everyone has written off his chances and think he'll never happen. I do have some confidence in Andy being the retro character but not enough to say "he's very likely" or "he'll definitely be in the game".
I see where they are coming from. Andy as a character debuted and is a Gameboy Advance character. Although the Wars series dates back to the late Famicom Era, Andy as a character does not, so Andy wouldn’t be considered retro because of it. That would have to go to a character that comes from the Famicom Wars series.

Also, I just don’t like Andy’s design. I really want a representative of the Wars series to be playable, but Andy is a character that I really don’t like that much. I prefer Will and Jake due to their more slicker and more “realistic” design, while Andy is just cartoony.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I see where they are coming from. Andy as a character debuted and is a Gameboy Advance character. Although the Wars series dates back to the late Famicom Era, Andy as a character does not, so Andy wouldn’t be considered retro because of it. That would have to go to a character that comes from the Famicom Wars series.

Also, I just don’t like Andy’s design. I really want a representative of the Wars series to be playable, but Andy is a character that I really don’t like that much. I prefer Will and Jake due to their more slicker and more “realistic” design, while Andy is just cartoony.
Andy; being the first central protag of the franchise would represent the over-reaching Wars series that includes Famicom Wars. Just because he himself didn't appear in Famicom Wars doesn't mean he can't represent that game. Being the character with the most major playable appearances and the most recognizable, he would easily fit the build. And TBH the GBA era is pretty damn retro in itself so he's essentially dual-representing the NES & GBA.

It's fine if you don't like Andy's design or whatever but like he is the face of the series y'know? I feel like sometimes Andy gets a lot of "Springman-esque hate" because of his design and what have you. Ironically, both Andy and Springman being the first main protags of their series. And I think Andy's cartoony, more simplistic design works in his favor as that's a much closer representation of what the Wars series is all about. Especially if Sakurai was looking to the older Wars games for inspiration in the character to be in the game.

And also, Jake? I mean Will I could tolerate but the cringe kid from Dual Strike? Just no man, Yuck! :scared:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Andy; being the first central protag of the franchise would represent the over-reaching Wars series that includes Famicom Wars. Just because he himself didn't appear in Famicom Wars doesn't mean he can't represent that game. Being the character with the most major playable appearances and the most recognizable, he would easily fit the build. And TBH the GBA era is pretty damn retro in itself so he's essentially dual-representing the NES & GBA.

It's fine if you don't like Andy's design or whatever but like he is the face of the series y'know? I feel like sometimes Andy gets a lot of "Springman-esque hate" because of his design and what have you. Ironically, both Andy and Springman being the first main protags of their series. And I think Andy's cartoony, more simplistic design works in his favor as that's a much closer representation of what the Wars series is all about. Especially if Sakurai was looking to the older Wars games for inspiration in the character to be in the game.

And also, Jake? I mean Will I could tolerate but the cringe kid from Dual Strike? Just no man, Yuck! :scared:
I mean I just looked at Jake, and I thought he looked cool. I never played Dual Strike (well it sold poorly) but I still want a more slicker Andy. I like the designs of a lot of the other cast from the first three games (well aside from The Blue haired dude, Max?) but Andy I feel can be given a better look.

Was Andy present in Dual Strike? I heard that Jake pretty much replaced him.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I mean I just looked at Jake, and I thought he looked cool. I never played Dual Strike (well it sold poorly) but I still want a more slicker Andy. I like the designs of a lot of the other cast from the first three games (well aside from The Blue haired dude, Max?) but Andy I feel can be given a better look.

Was Andy present in Dual Strike? I heard that Jake pretty much replaced him.
Well...how do I say this...

NOA's localization of Dual Strike was absolutely atrocious and they literally changed Jake's character to that of a cringe boi who drops "phat beats". I just found him to be really annoying in the story and his dialogue being so cringeworthy.

Which is unfortunate because NOE's characterization didn't have this but seeing that North America was the only place Dual Strike did fairly well in, that's the character most remembered by fans. For that reason alone, I really don't want him anywhere close to Smash lol.

Andy wasn't present in the story of Dual Strike but he remained playable in the game. Jake and Rachel essentially take up the mantle of main characters. Which made me pretty sour because Andy being the main protag of Dual Strike could have boosted his chances of being in Brawl seeing as Dual Strike was very close to Brawl's project plan.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Well...how do I say this...

NOA's localization of Dual Strike was absolutely atrocious and they literally changed Jake's character to that of a cringe boi who drops "phat beats". I just found him to be really annoying in the story and his dialogue being so cringeworthy.

Which is unfortunate because NOE's characterization didn't have this but seeing that North America was the only place Dual Strike did fairly well in, that's the character most remembered by fans. For that reason alone, I really don't want him anywhere close to Smash lol.

Andy wasn't present in the story of Dual Strike but he remained playable in the game. Jake and Rachel essentially take up the mantle of main characters. Which made me pretty sour because Andy being the main protag of Dual Strike could have boosted his chances of being in Brawl seeing as Dual Strike was very close to Brawl's project plan.
Oh yeah, I forgot about those changes to his character.

If let’s say an Advance Wars game did release on the Switch later on, do you the protagonist of that game gets in as DLC?

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh yeah, I forgot about those changes to his character.

If let’s say an Advance Wars game did release on the Switch later on, do you the protagonist of that game gets in as DLC?
I mean by the time that happens, Smash Bros Ultimate would have it's DLC run completed. I don't see a Switch Advance Wars happening until late 2020 at the earliest and even that's ambitious IMO. Smash Ultimate's DLC will probably only run in 2019 and maybe spilling in to the early parts of 2020.

That being said though, there was a rumored 3DS Advance Wars game though the sources credibility is very sketchy. It was the same source that supposively "leaked" Wario Ware Gold and the rumored Wario Land/Link's Awakening remakes on the 3DS. Even if that was true, I don't think it would be a big enough title to have a DLC character in the game. Unless the game had a counterpart Switch release and that does really well.

All of which; unfortunately is nothing but conjecture really. A bunch of what if's and maybe's. Basically the status quo for any speculation on a new Advance Wars lol.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I mean by the time that happens, Smash Bros Ultimate would have it's DLC run completed. I don't see a Switch Advance Wars happening until late 2020 at the earliest and even that's ambitious IMO. Smash Ultimate's DLC will probably only run in 2019 and maybe spilling in to the early parts of 2020.

That being said though, there was a rumored 3DS Advance Wars game though the sources credibility is very sketchy. It was the same source that supposively "leaked" Wario Ware Gold and the rumored Wario Land/Link's Awakening remakes on the 3DS. Even if that was true, I don't think it would be a big enough title to have a DLC character in the game. Unless the game had a counterpart Switch release and that does really well.

All of which; unfortunately is nothing but conjecture really. A bunch of what if's and maybe's. Basically the status quo for any speculation on a new Advance Wars lol.
Hmm, although I disagree that DLC will only run up to 2020, since it’s very possible that they will spread DLC content out and do even more after it’s success from Smash 4. I expect DLC to last for at least 3 years (up to 2021) and even more if the Switch’s lifespan is going to exceed for up to 8 - 10 years since we’re still early in the Switch’s lifespan.

So if an Advance Wars game does come out, I wouldn’t lose hope.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hmm, although I disagree that DLC will only run up to 2020, since it’s very possible that they will spread DLC content out and do even more after it’s success from Smash 4. I expect DLC to last for at least 3 years (up to 2021) and even more if the Switch’s lifespan is going to exceed for up to 8 - 10 years since we’re still early in the Switch’s lifespan.

So if an Advance Wars game does come out, I wouldn’t lose hope.
I don't have faith in that happening. I mean yeah it's def possible that Nintendo/Sakurai could be committed on making Smash Ultimate a platform that gets yearly updates but it's nothing but speculation really. DLC last time around was done by a smaller development team and Sakurai couldn't hold them together for a long time which is why it ended in early 2016. I suspect something similar will go down for this DLC run as well with DLC capping at 5-7 characters.

And we're also making assumptions that...

- There's even going to be a Switch Advance Wars out in 2020 or 2021
- Smash Bros Ultimate will even have DLC or it will last longer than 2019/early-2020

Of course i'd love to be wrong here but there's too many variables that come in to play here.

Which is why I believe Andy as a retro is really the series' best chance of ever making the roster.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I don't have faith in that happening. I mean yeah it's def possible that Nintendo/Sakurai could be committed on making Smash Ultimate a platform that gets yearly updates but it's nothing but speculation really. DLC last time around was done by a smaller development team and Sakurai couldn't hold them together for a long time which is why it ended in early 2016. I suspect something similar will go down for this DLC run as well with DLC capping at 5-7 characters.

And we're also making assumptions that...

- There's even going to be a Switch Advance Wars out in 2020 or 2021
- Smash Bros Ultimate will even have DLC or it will last longer than 2019/early-2020

Of course i'd love to be wrong here but there's too many variables that come in to play here.

Which is why I believe Andy as a retro is really the series' best chance of ever making the roster.
I mean the Wii U was already a dying ship, which explains why he started on ultimate so early, and why DLC only lasted a year.

But yeah there’s a lot of variables.

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
I'm still rooting for Andy this time around. He's been a moderately requested character for a long time, and Ultimate seems like a love letter to the fans, so I'm hopeful for his appearance.

Judging by the kinds of movesets you've all come up with, I think he'd make for a unique type of character. And we all know Sakurai loves that.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm still rooting for Andy this time around. He's been a moderately requested character for a long time, and Ultimate seems like a love letter to the fans, so I'm hopeful for his appearance.

Judging by the kinds of movesets you've all come up with, I think he'd make for a unique type of character. And we all know Sakurai loves that.
Yeah I think there's a lot of variables that help Andy. As a standard newcomer, I probably wouldn't have much hope for him but as a retro newcomer I think people are sleeping on him.

As I mentioned in the RTC...

- The Wars franchise turning 30 this year; coinciding with Smash Ultimate's release.
- Nintendo Wars having western recognition through the 4 Advance Wars games which Sakurai says is important for characters to have (and also why Takamaru didn't make the cut).
- The series ties to Fire Emblem which Sakurai could make reference to.
- Andy/Sami doing decently well on the Ballot (not Isaac levels but like popular enough to get Sakurai's attention)
- Andy's limitless moveset potential.

If you combine all those variables, I think Andy has a decent shot at the "retro" newcomer for this game ala :icsmelee::pit::4littlemac:(yeah I know Mac had a game in 2009 but I feel it was mostly the classic Punch-Out game which got him in the game).

Not gonna say Andy is super likely obviously but outside of Brawl, this might be his best chance. Here's hoping...

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I think there's a lot of variables that help Andy. As a standard newcomer, I probably wouldn't have much hope for him but as a retro newcomer I think people are sleeping on him.

As I mentioned in the RTC...

- The Wars franchise turning 30 this year; coinciding with Smash Ultimate's release.
- Nintendo Wars having western recognition through the 4 Advance Wars games which Sakurai says is important for characters to have (and also why Takamaru didn't make the cut).
- The series ties to Fire Emblem which Sakurai could make reference to.
- Andy/Sami doing decently well on the Ballot (not Isaac levels but like popular enough to get Sakurai's attention)
- Andy's limitless moveset potential.

If you combine all those variables, I think Andy has a decent shot at the "retro" newcomer for this game ala :icsmelee::pit::4littlemac:(yeah I know Mac had a game in 2009 but I feel it was mostly the classic Punch-Out game which got him in the game).

Not gonna say Andy is super likely obviously but outside of Brawl, this might be his best chance. Here's hoping...
Yeah I see what you're saying. He'd be representing one of Nintendo's oldest running franchises, and at this point 2001 might as well be considered retro xD.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah I see what you're saying. He'd be representing one of Nintendo's oldest running franchises, and at this point 2001 might as well be considered retro xD.
Yeah hence my point of Andy dual-representing the NES/GBA lol.

The GBA/GCN era in itself is pretty much retro now. Which is really something to think about because that's the era a lot of us grew up in haha.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I present the Jack-O of Smash. Let me know what you think?

It has been a long-standing belief that the Fire Emblem series only came to the states thanks to Super Smash Bros Melee. This is false. Fire Emblem is a turn-based Strategy RPG game about managing an army of individual units. Marth and Roy in Melee would’ve had people believe the game is an action game. Hell, we didn’t even get Marth and Roy’s original games.
No, the real reason Fire Emblem came to the west, is because of Intelligent System’s first strategy series, Advance Wars. Much like Fire Emblem, the Wars series was mostly Japan exclusive until the Gameboy Advance. IS decided to take a risk and send the Wars series to the west with Advance Wars. And it was only once Advance Wars proved that turn based strategy games were welcome in the West, did Intelligent Systems release Fire Emblem 7 to the west.
So you would think that such an important series as the Wars would have representation in Smash right? Sadly, this is not the case, the wars one contribution were the Assist Trophy, Infantry and Tanks. As well as a trophy for these minor units. No Stage, music and of course no characters. Though I suppose it’s not too much of a stretch. After all who, no how would an Advance Wars character fight in Smash?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Dude I love it! I appreciate all the work you put in to that. As an Andy supporter it's really heart-warming to see lol.

Let me just read all of it before I give a more detailed response to the moveset lol. I skimmed it all and so far I love what i'm seeing.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I feel that Advance Wars just had bad timing on it’s side.

AW 1 was released later than Melee, so there was no chance there would be anything about in Melee.

By the time Brawl’s project plan began, Advance Wars was in it’s third game, AW: Dual Strike, and Andy was replaced by Jake. The game didn’t do so well and was putting the series on a decline, which might explained why all AW got was an Assist Trophy.

In Smash 4, Advance Wars was on it’s fourth game, AW: Days of Ruin, that featured an entirely different cast. It was also right smack at the ripe time where Sakurai was looking for content to add for Smash 4, and Days of Ruin started picking up the series. However, there is still no Advance Wars content besides the AT, and even if Sakurai wanted Advance War content he could’ve ended up looking at Days of Ruin instead.

Now we’re at Smash Ultimate, and the series have been on a hiatus for 10 years. Where do we go from here? I really don’t know, and it seems Andy or any AW rep is unlikely once again with the roster being seemingly on the ballot, and Andy just not seeming to be a popular character at the time.

Unless a new game comes out (which just boosts an AW rep dramatically) time really isn’t on our side.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

AW 1 was released later than Melee, so there was no chance there would be anything about in Melee.

By the time Brawl’s project plan began, Advance Wars was in it’s third game, AW: Dual Strike, and Andy was replaced by Jake. The game didn’t do so well and was putting the series on a decline, which might explained why all AW got was an Assist Trophy.

In Smash 4, Advance Wars was on it’s fourth game, AW: Days of Ruin, that featured an entirely different cast. It was also right smack at the ripe time where Sakurai was looking for content to add for Smash 4, and Days of Ruin started picking up the series. However, there is still no Advance Wars content besides the AT, and even if Sakurai wanted Advance War content he could’ve ended up looking at Days of Ruin instead.

Now we’re at Smash Ultimate, and the series have been on a hiatus for 10 years. Where do we go from here? I really don’t know, and it seems Andy or any AW rep is unlikely once again with the roster being seemingly on the ballot, and Andy just not seeming to be a popular character at the time.

Unless a new game comes out (which just boosts an AW rep dramatically) time really isn’t on our side.
There's no doubt Advance Wars always had some unfortunate circumstance surrounding it's representation (or lack thereof) in Smash.

I think James just wanted thoughts on the moveset and stuff he did for Andy.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Love it, love the idea of being able to trap people between you and the base with smash attack bombardments (I assume the rockets hit as the travel from base to Andy), I love the idea of switching between characters as you control either Andy or his units. I still see problems around platform play but hopefully the ranged aerials can assuage that issue and it's not like it would be the first character to have that problem. My only issue is side b attacking by default and relying on shield to not waste fuel since it adds significant end lag to the move. I'd suggest that it simply shouldn't attack after moving so to get an attack out you retap B after releasing it while still holding the direction (since I don't envision much endlag to these moves since they leave Andy helpless the duration of using them already).

Also to add a compliment I have to say that nearly every Smash Dojo has to be my favourite move set for those characters, the series is so well presented.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So here's a more detailed feedback to your moveset...

- Your ideas for Andy's tilt attacks are really good with him incorporating infantry/mech attacks in it. I had the idea of Andy being able to catch items with his wrenches but your idea is more innovative and gives Andy more options. Same goes for the air attacks you had for Andy.

- Andy doing a sliding kick as his dash attack would be kinda similar to Cloud I guess. I would much rather have him use his wrenches for his dash attack though i'm not against the sliding kick.

- Your idea for Andy's Smash attacks are super interesting and I must confess, much better than the ones I thought of lol. I like the idea of having rockets/missiles as a zoning option for Andy to cover a lot of ground. I could see that making him a godsend in competitive play. I would pad that out a little bit by having Andy have a different Down Smash to make his Smash attacks more unique. I remember coming across this one moveset that had Andy using a Submarine that could go in to the ground and attack the foe from below. What do you think of that?

- For Andy's neutral special, I would have the order special as one move rather than two. Basically when Andy is at a base, he could press B or something that opens a small sub-menu where he can buy units from there directly.

- Better yet why not have Hyper Repair and Base Capture as two different specials? Maybe Down B could be his capturing special and then Side B could be him using Hyper Repair or even Hyper Upgrade if there was a CO Power meter put in place?

- Artillery's seem kinda redundant when Andy has Rockets as his Smash attacks don't you think? I had Artillery's in mine but that was because there was no Rockets in the moveset I had. Missiles also kinda make having an Anti-Air redundant unless Andy can do significant damage with the Anti-Air both on ground and against airbound foes.

- I think Recon's should be a very cheap unit for Andy to buy that can do quick, weak damage and also easy to destroy by the enemy. Was sort of the first idea I had for that.

- With Final Smash's being very short and flashy, I thought it would be better for Andy to have a Megatank as his Final Smash. Basically the most powerful tank from Dual Strike that unleashes devastating firepower to completely send everyone packing off stage.

And also some other notes...

- I really wanted Andy to have a wall jump lol.

- Andy's alts referencing the other CO's is a good idea. I also want him to have his alt costume from Dual Strike. i.e. The one with a T-Shirt and black shorts lol.

- Love Andy having his signature grinning peace sign as a taunt. Really captures his personality very well. As for his victory poses, I imagine him getting on an APC and doing a pose or something lol.

- Thank you for pointing out that FE coming to the West was because of AW and not only because Marth & Roy. Wish more people would understand that lol.

- Yeah, lets hope our boy gets in this time as a retro character. The only way I see him getting in really.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
- For Andy's neutral special, I would have the order special as one move rather than two. Basically when Andy is at a base, he could press B or something that opens a small sub-menu where he can buy units from there directly.

- Better yet why not have Hyper Repair and Base Capture as two different specials? Maybe Down B could be his capturing special and then Side B could be him using Hyper Repair or even Hyper Upgrade if there was a CO Power meter put in place?

- Artillery's seem kinda redundant when Andy has Rockets as his Smash attacks don't you think? I had Artillery's in mine but that was because there was no Rockets in the moveset I had. Missiles also kinda make having an Anti-Air redundant unless Andy can do significant damage with the Anti-Air both on ground and against airbound foes.

- I think Recon's should be a very cheap unit for Andy to buy that can do quick, weak damage and also easy to destroy by the enemy. Was sort of the first idea I had for that.

- With Final Smash's being very short and flashy, I thought it would be better for Andy to have a Megatank as his Final Smash. Basically the most powerful tank from Dual Strike that unleashes devastating firepower to completely send everyone packing off stage.
Just from my perspective on their ideas (in order with regards to your talking points):

- Needing to return to base kinda ruins the versatility of the move as it leaves Andy tethered to his base, and also makes it much harder to pincer attack with Andy on the opposite side to the unit.

- Having the Base Capture be it's own special would make much less sense, while moving your base dynamically would probably be an important part of playing Andy in this kit so that you can match your opponent's stage control it's still the most niche element. Also if Hyper Repair is it's own special but is still reliant on being next to your unit then it makes much more sense to keep the two positional specials together. I have a separate thought on this topic though after I've commented the rest.

- Artillery would work as a more mobile projectile unit probably. Others would need to maneuver to get closer before being able to attack but Artillery would be your tool for attacking with projectiles outside of F-Tilt. If you can't get to the other side of your opponent then Rockets/Missiles don't work that way. Basically if you're having trouble getting your units close enough to do damage (maybe against a RosaLuma say, or any other character that puts a wall between themselves and you), then Artillery would be slower to get to them but be able to park further away and hit, since not being able to use your units would severely weaken Andy in the matchup.

- Thats how Recon would work (minus cheap since there's no economy). It's the fast one that you rush at them and hope you can get it close enough for the explosion (since it's low health means that you're not likely to get more than one attack off).

- I agree with you on the Final Smash, though the Bomber would be short if it was just a quick 'bomer incoming' flash then a single bombing run across the stage. I don't think it's fklashy enough though. Megatank with it's absurd number of guns could be more imposing looking, but I prefer my idea (no duh) of having the other nation's COs flash on the screen and then a whole bunch of multicoloured units of different types in the background all blasting the stage (kinda like how Bowser's new FS is changes the whole background).

Now for that extra thought; jamesster445 jamesster445 what if 'Base Capture' was repositioned to the newly created 'Shield-B' spot that Inklings use to refill. It would make sense since they're both the resources their kits are based around and are supposed to be done when not under pressure.

jamesster445

Smash Lord

I agree.

Love it, love the idea of being able to trap people between you and the base with smash attack bombardments (I assume the rockets hit as the travel from base to Andy), I love the idea of switching between characters as you control either Andy or his units. I still see problems around platform play but hopefully the ranged aerials can assuage that issue and it's not like it would be the first character to have that problem. My only issue is side b attacking by default and relying on shield to not waste fuel since it adds significant end lag to the move. I'd suggest that it simply shouldn't attack after moving so to get an attack out you retap B after releasing it while still holding the direction (since I don't envision much endlag to these moves since they leave Andy helpless the duration of using them already).

Also to add a compliment I have to say that nearly every Smash Dojo has to be my favourite move set for those characters, the series is so well presented.
I considered switching the nature of how Side B worked. Actually adding Shield to cancel was a bit of last minute addition after watching Snake use his Side B.

So here's a more detailed feedback to your moveset...

- Your ideas for Andy's tilt attacks are really good with him incorporating infantry/mech attacks in it. I had the idea of Andy being able to catch items with his wrenches but your idea is more innovative and gives Andy more options. Same goes for the air attacks you had for Andy.

- Andy doing a sliding kick as his dash attack would be kinda similar to Cloud I guess. I would much rather have him use his wrenches for his dash attack though i'm not against the sliding kick.

- Your idea for Andy's Smash attacks are super interesting and I must confess, much better than the ones I thought of lol. I like the idea of having rockets/missiles as a zoning option for Andy to cover a lot of ground. I could see that making him a godsend in competitive play. I would pad that out a little bit by having Andy have a different Down Smash to make his Smash attacks more unique. I remember coming across this one moveset that had Andy using a Submarine that could go in to the ground and attack the foe from below. What do you think of that?

And also some other notes...

- I really wanted Andy to have a wall jump lol.

- Andy's alts referencing the other CO's is a good idea. I also want him to have his alt costume from Dual Strike. i.e. The one with a T-Shirt and black shorts lol.

- Love Andy having his signature grinning peace sign as a taunt. Really captures his personality very well. As for his victory poses, I imagine him getting on an APC and doing a pose or something lol.

- Thank you for pointing out that FE coming to the West was because of AW and not only because Marth & Roy. Wish more people would understand that lol.

- Yeah, lets hope our boy gets in this time as a retro character. The only way I see him getting in really.
- The goal was to make Andy weak in direct combat making the player more rely on units.
- It's supposed to be similar to say Mario's.
- The rockets and missiles can damage those on the way to their target but they would only detonate on the target. And I avoided using boats because it felt odd for them to appear on ground. I would incorporate boats and planes in stage though.
- For me Neutral special had to be base orders regardless of position because if Andy needs a unit, other players could just intercept him. I feel like having his specials the way they are now grant him better control of the whole map.
- I considered having Base Capture be an option for his Neutral B, but I may go back to that. And I would've saved Hyper Upgrade for a potential Final Smash. Maybe by repairing healthy units allows them to be buffed?
- Artillery is more of a proper projectile rather than the area of effect smashes which would be relative to Andy's position. What's more the Artillery would be a much quicker option for a long range attack.
- Recon is more or less that. Quick, not so durable and not particularly strong. Though there isn't any kind of Money system, I didn't want to over complicate things.
- That's a good idea, I just happened to prefer the idea of a carpet bomb.

Just from my perspective on their ideas (in order with regards to your talking points):

Now for that extra thought; jamesster445 jamesster445 what if 'Base Capture' was repositioned to the newly created 'Shield-B' spot that Inklings use to refill. It would make sense since they're both the resources their kits are based around and are supposed to be done when not under pressure.
I thought about the idea of a "Guard Special", my only issue is that so far only the inklings have one. Hopefully every character in the future gets one. And if that does become the case then yeah I'd allow it.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I thought about the idea of a "Guard Special", my only issue is that so far only the inklings have one. Hopefully every character in the future gets one. And if that does become the case then yeah I'd allow it.
I doubt every character will get one, or even most characters, but I think it makes sense in this case. I wouldn't claim that every new character moveset idea on these forums should utilise it but I think it's important to consider it as a new option for a very specific type of move: out of combat, reset the playing field/recuperation. The only two existing abilities I consider close to that are WFT deep breathing and maybe Cloud Limit except that they're both obviously not about resetting but gaining an advantage so that disqualifies them (though in theory deep breathing would make more sense in that manner).

Something like Pokemon Trainer's transform would also make sense if it didn't remove the aerial use of the ability.

Basically I'm not saying it could be used that way for Andy just because it's a new slot to free up a special, but because this is one of the edge cases for which the move makes sense.

Either way having an option for how they'd work in the event it is or isn't a Guard Special makes the moveset more robust anyway.

Edit: Olimar pluck would be another obvious candidate that actually fits the exact purpose of Inklings Guard Special. I wonder if he will get another special this game?

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Just some quick thoughts because this is a mountain-full of info to reply to lol.

- I don't think Andy should be "weak" in direct combat. That's not what he's known for in the games anyways. He could still have unique, innovative offense with his wrenches which he can do some mix-up's with. And besides, he is the "Jack of all Trades" when it comes to Advance Wars CO's.

- Yeah I think Andy just purchasing units regardless where he is would be a more practical way of fighting. Of course he would still build cities and all through one of his specials but maybe omit the base entirely and have him purchase units wherever.

- I thought of Hyper Repair existing as it's own separate mechanic but i've been debating whether that should just be a special. Which makes sense I think. Andy having one special dedicated to building cities, one for buying units, one for repairing said units, and another for recovering to the stage with a Copter is the best way to go about his specials.

- IDK it just seems redundant for Andy to have both Rockets/Missiles and an Artillery as well. Unless said Artillery could be spawned instantly and fired much quicker in close combat. Either way i'd personally omit it if Rockets/Missiles were included in Andy's moveset.

- Sub's could work I think if they went under the stage and attacked the enemy using missiles from under the ground. Of course said attack would be Andy's Down Smash and the opponent would be able to attack the Sub if it got close to them,

- And Anti-Air's are more or less the same thing with Missiles being around though I think if they had rapid-firepower and be aimed upwards then they could have their own "niche" in the moveset.

- I just like the Megatank idea a lot better given how quick, powerful, and aesthetically flashy it would be but an Air Assault could work I guess. I did have Bombers as Andy's Up Special at one point but then I changed that to Battle Copters.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Just checked the updated RTC:

His chance dropped less than half a % point and sitting at just below 10% chance is arguably accurate, whether his company in that range is accurate or not is to be said...

Want dropped him out of top 25 and sub 50% want....

*sigh* :rolleyes::(

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I wouldn't look in to the RTC that much TBH. It's the same 20-30 people voting and the results are skewed by the amounts of zero's thrown in by users

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I wouldn't look in to the RTC that much TBH. It's the same 20-30 people voting and the results are skewed by the amounts of zero's thrown in by users
People who throw in 0's on everything just piss me off, abstain or look into it. If you don't know who they are don't put down 0% want, put down abstain cos if you knew about them maybe you'd want them.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
People who throw in 0's on everything just piss me off, abstain or look into it. If you don't know who they are don't put down 0% want, put down abstain cos if you knew about them maybe you'd want them.
Oh yeah for sure those people really get on my nerves. Really ignorant if you ask me.

Well to change gears a bit to a much funnier subject, here's a vocal cover some guy did of Sturm's theme that's cheesy AF lol.

"I wear an armor, don't call me Vader!"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Quick update for y'all.

As a lot of you know, the 30th anniversary of Famicom Wars is coming up soon (August 12th to be exact) and to celebrate that, i'm going to temporarily revive Fanart of the Day for the 30 days leading up to the 30th anniversary.

Of course this time, I want to mix it up a little bit by including other fan media than just artwork like videos related to AW and whatnot.

For some days I might even do a write up on some titles in the franchise as well if I have the time to do it.

So yeah that's something to look forward to I guess lol. I ran FoD not too long ago but I dropped it for different reasons. Hopefully this run will turn out better.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Quick update for y'all.

As a lot of you know, the 30th anniversary of Famicom Wars is coming up soon (August 12th to be exact) and to celebrate that, i'm going to temporarily revive Fanart of the Day for the 30 days leading up to the 30th anniversary.

Of course this time, I want to mix it up a little bit by including other fan media than just artwork like videos related to AW and whatnot.

For some days I might even do a write up on some titles in the franchise as well if I have the time to do it.

So yeah that's something to look forward to I guess lol. I ran FoD not too long ago but I dropped it for different reasons. Hopefully this run will turn out better.
This all sounds like a great idea.

Gt to keep it rolling until Wars' anniversay. I quite missed the fbnaart of the day.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Quick update for y'all.

I feel that Nintendo might be doing something big for Advance Wars this time around. Maybe they might just celebrate it normally and raise awareness for the series, maybe they have something even more special?... like an upcoming game to announce on that day? (I NEED TO TAKE OFF MY TINFOIL HAT!)

I mean, 30 years? If Nintendo doesn’t acknowledge Advance Wars on that day I’m going to cry.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
We can only hope that something is in the works for such a momentous occasion. Im down to celebrate though Ura Ura . Let's get this party rolling.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I feel that Nintendo might be doing something big for Advance Wars this time around. Maybe they might just celebrate it normally and raise awareness for the series, maybe they have something even more special?... like an upcoming game to announce on that day? (I NEED TO TAKE OFF MY TINFOIL HAT!)

I mean, 30 years? If Nintendo doesn’t acknowledge Advance Wars on that day I’m going to cry.
Oh trust me dude strawgrasping is something we do best here in the Andy support thread lol. Well more so me than anyone else but I think you know what I mean.

I'd love to believe Nintendo/Intelligent Systems has this brilliant plan of bringing back Advance Wars but it never happens and quite frankly i've grown cynical over the years. I mean there is a possibility yes but i've been let down too many times to actively get my hopes up for something like that.

Of course i'd love to be wrong and for their to be a secret Advance Wars game we don't know about in development. But history has shown otherwise when it comes to that. I really hate to say it but I believe August 12th will pass without any mention of Advance Wars. The best we could prob hope for is some collection or legacy edition of the older Advance Wars games.

Although the silver lining here I guess is that there's usually been an Advance Wars title launched or re-released every 5 years for it's 5th/10th anniversary.

1998: Super Famicom Wars
2003: Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
2008: Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
2013: Re-release of Days of Ruin as a Club Nintendo reward for Japan

So I guess another re-release for 2018 isn't out of the question. Or even that rumored 3DS game that i'm pretty skeptical of.

I just really REALLY wish there was a Switch Advance Wars in the works. We don't know what Intelligent Systems' B-Team has been doing since that Fire Emblem Gaiden remake so maybe there's a chance? Here I am grasping at straws again lol.

Personally I think the best way for Advance Wars to return is if Andy was in Smash Bros Ultimate. It would lead to a huge spike in demand for a new Advance Wars to be made and suddenly the franchise will become well known to a much broader demographic.
We can only hope that something is in the works for such a momentous occasion. Im down to celebrate though Ura Ura . Let's get this party rolling.
Indeed! Gonna try to make this a better run VS the one before.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Okay, lets get this show on the road!

30 Days to the 30th Anniversary!

DAY 1: Advance Wars on the Switch!...well not really lol

Some guy did a mock-up of Advance Wars on the Switch which, all things considered I thought was pretty well done.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Okay, lets get this show on the road!

DAY 1: Advance Wars on the Switch!...well not really lol

Some guy did a mock-up of Advance Wars on the Switch which, all things considered I thought was pretty well done.
This looks like an excellent mock up. Nice work on the graphics and choreography of the trailer.

If only thi were really real.

Top Bottom