• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
We're back! I can't believe we're back! Holy smokes!

Oh how I hope this sells well so we can get a new proper game. If AW ever gets a successful new game it's a shoo-in for Smash, seeing as it's by far the largest first-party series not yet represented.

I'll buy ten copies if that's what it takes, haha.
I would say Andy actually has a chance for the Fighter 11 spot now that.

A) Advance Wars is relevant again
B) Andy himself is relevant again
C) The release is timely enough to be included in Smash if Fighter 11 releases late-September/early-October
Apparently, Wayforward are the ones doing the remakes.
Yep, that was confirmed.

Honestly, I don't mind. IntSys prob has their hands full with WarioWare and the rumored FE Remake (maybe some other things as well) so i'm fine. Plus, Wayforward does the Shantae games and those typically do well in Japan IIRC. Like I mentioned a bunch of times before, Advance Wars must be successful in it's domestic market to have a future. This game is a testing ground in that regard as well.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So apparently, the new Advance Wars remake was not shown off in the Japanese Nintendo Direct.

I know this is concerning for us and all but just remember the remakes for Famicom Detective Club were announced only for Japan back in Sep 2019 only for a Western release to be announced 3 months before release.

Honestly, I see the same thing happening for Advance Wars. They might want to drum up hype in the market where it's most popular early and then market it to Japan closer to it's release date. That way, it's more relevant in the minds of their domestic fans and they won't forget.

Or even better, announce the Japanese release date right before/after Andy's reveal as Fighter 11 in Smash Ultimate. Maybe that's a possibility as well? I think it could be the case TBH.
Yeah, IS not doing this seems fine, since it's a port of the older games. If the people doing this were responsible for generating new strategy content, I would want IS involved, but since that's not necessary, there's no reason it should have to be IS to do this.
Yep, Wayforward doing this is fine because their style of animation fits the Advance Wars style. Should we get a new game, I have no doubt it would be coming from IntSys themselves.
Congrats to ya all Advance Wars fans! Hopefully StarTropics has a shot at getting a revival next!
Oh trust me, i'm a huge fan of StarTropics. I hope it gets it's chance one day. Those games were great on the Wii U VC.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So I re-watched the trailer and it said pre-orders are available on the E-Shop.

Does that include the physical release as well? Because I was planning on buying this physical.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
Advance Wars was one of the series I desperately wanted to see come back. I'm definitely pre-ordering the collection! Now that the series is relevant once again, I hope either Andy or Sami get their rightful place in this Smash or the next one! Now that Nintendo is more confident bringing back dormant series, I hope StarTropics and Golden Sun are the next ones in line!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Advance Wars was one of the series I desperately wanted to see come back. I'm definitely pre-ordering the collection! Now that the series is relevant once again, I hope either Andy or Sami get their rightful place in this Smash or the next one! Now that Nintendo is more confident bringing back dormant series, I hope StarTropics and Golden Sun are the next ones in line!
Same, both franchises deserve to return.
The mad lads actually DID IT!!! And it's a full Switch game and not a mobile game too! Major props to Ura Ura for keeping the dream alive every step of the way. Big respect to you my friend. Here's hoping Nintendo keeps this up and we can get remakes and new installments in other fan favorite dormant franchises
Thanks! Here's hoping Golden Sun gets the remake treatment in 2022 as well!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I already pre-ordered this game. I'm not wasting any time, gotta make sure this game is a success lol.
I noticed in the Treehouse livestream Nell can use her CO Power in the Field Training mission Tank Ops. IIRC she couldn't in the original Tank Ops.
Yep, good catch. I wonder if there will be a feature to use Super CO Powers in the AW1 Campaign? Just brainstorming some possibilities here, can't wait to hear more about this game.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I already pre-ordered this game. I'm not wasting any time, gotta make sure this game is a success lol.

Yep, good catch. I wonder if there will be a feature to use Super CO Powers in the AW1 Campaign? Just brainstorming some possibilities here, can't wait to hear more about this game.
I don't think that they'll add SCOP to the AW1 maps. That would fundamentally change how the maps play, which is not something you want in a remaster/remake, and frankly I doubt Wayforward has the resources or in-house know-how to revamp all the maps across Campaign/Hard Campaign to account for this; not a knock on them, it's simply not their area of expertise.

Reactions: Ura

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think that they'll add SCOP to the AW1 maps. That would fundamentally change how the maps play, which is not something you want in a remaster/remake, and frankly I doubt Wayforward has the resources or in-house know-how to revamp all the maps across Campaign/Hard Campaign to account for this; not a knock on them, it's simply not their area of expertise.
Yeah, I mean Wayforward doesn't develop DLC for anything unless it's crowdfunded, let alone this.

Seeing preorders available at best buy and amazon, hopefully that means a physical release. I loved this series back in the day but somehow never played Black Hole Rising, this will be the perfect way to remedy that!
I'll definitely have to check my local retailer, you never know.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Saw this on Twitter and like, wow. I can't believe Advance Wars got back before F-Zero. This is quite the timeline we're living in.
True true, I was just thinking up some ideas.

Makes me wonder if there will be an option to set CO Powers to AW1 style or AW2 style in VS Mode. Also, how they will manage CO's who had their CO Power changed from AW1 to AW2.

i.e. Eagle's CO Power in AW1 was having two turns with his units weakened in the 2nd. In AW2, Eagle's regular power is his air units having increased attack/defense while removing the two turn thing. Instead, his Super CO Power has him using the two turn power from AW1 only his air units are more powerful and doesn't have any weakened units.

Damn, writing that up seems confusing even to me lol.
Seeing preorders available at best buy and amazon, hopefully that means a physical release. I loved this series back in the day but somehow never played Black Hole Rising, this will be the perfect way to remedy that!
Well, if there happens to be a physical release available i'll buy it. I just haven't seen any listings, not even on Nintendo's website. I never really double dip in buying games but this is the exception.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Dig these cut-ins - these look great! The new style takes a little getting used to, but it's growing on me. It looks particularly good in motion.

View attachment 319483
View attachment 319484
Yeah ngl, those animations are pretty sick. Still kinda salty that Andy doesn't have his signature peace sign taunt in his victory animation. Hopefully that's fixed foe the final release lol.
I think I'm starting to feel things for Neil...
That wink is really cute. I can't wait to see the cut-ins for the rest of the cast. These ooze that classic AW charm!
Speaking of which, they really up'd the kawaii factor for Sami & Nell eh?

More so for Nell. When I played AW as a kid, I got the sense that Nell was more adult-like and what have you. I sorta thought of her like that women from the old Magic School Bus cartoon for some reason (why I have no idea lmao). This game takes her in a really kawaii, anime-esque direction and she seems younger here than she did in that game.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
More so for Nell. When I played AW as a kid, I got the sense that Nell was more adult-like and what have you. I sorta thought of her like that women from the old Magic School Bus cartoon for some reason (why I have no idea lmao). This game takes her in a really kawaii, anime-esque direction and she seems younger here than she did in that game.
Yeah, that's an interesting point! Nell is interesting, she changes a lot from game to game aesthetically (perhaps more than most!) I think in AW1 she does come across as pretty young and cute, while in AW2 and AW3 they push her in more of a serious, "businesslike" direction. It looks like they're not necessarily adopting a uniform conformity to the AW1 or AW2 portraits (which I think is wise), as evidenced by the fact that Olaf is in his (much better) AW2 outfit, while Nell feels more like AW1 Nell. It will be interesting to see which outfit they go with for other COs whose portraits change noticeably from AW1 to AW2; Sonja comes to mind.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Makes me wonder if there will be an option to set CO Powers to AW1 style or AW2 style in VS Mode. Also, how they will manage CO's who had their CO Power changed from AW1 to AW2.

i.e. Eagle's CO Power in AW1 was having two turns with his units weakened in the 2nd. In AW2, Eagle's regular power is his air units having increased attack/defense while removing the two turn thing. Instead, his Super CO Power has him using the two turn power from AW1 only his air units are more powerful and doesn't have any weakened units.
Interestingly, in the Treehouse stream Eagle's CO Power has the name "Lightning Drive," the name of his regular CO Power from AW2, during gameplay footage of an AW1 map (and in the Treehouse footage this power has the extra turn mechanic). In both AW1 and AW2, however, the CO Power that gives some units an extra turn is called "Lightning Strike" (and "Lightning Drive" is for the power that doesn't give an extra turn).

This is indeed quite confusing.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Coming back here for the first time in years just for this thread. I'm so goddamn happy.

I've seen people knocking the artstyle, and I can get the units being a bit too basic or disappointed at losing the excellent pixel art, but to me this cartoony style is how I remember the game in my head, it's warfare between COs playing out like a cartoon and these new portraits and animations match that exactly.

Also I think the choice to cut off at 2 is very deliberate in this regard, they're using the 2 most light hearted along with the toy-like units to reset the tone IMO.

I know they're remakes but they did say it's from the ground up so I wonder if there's balancing changes, and as has been mentioned, how they'll do the CO Powers.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Coming back here for the first time in years just for this thread. I'm so goddamn happy.

I've seen people knocking the artstyle, and I can get the units being a bit too basic or disappointed at losing the excellent pixel art, but to me this cartoony style is how I remember the game in my head, it's warfare between COs playing out like a cartoon and these new portraits and animations match that exactly.

Also I think the choice to cut off at 2 is very deliberate in this regard, they're using the 2 most light hearted along with the toy-like units to reset the tone IMO.

I know they're remakes but they did say it's from the ground up so I wonder if there's balancing changes, and as has been mentioned, how they'll do the CO Powers.
Yeah, the balance question is an interesting one. I figure they probably shouldn't tinker with anything since it could throw off the balance of campaign maps. With that said, I certainly wouldn't mind if they gave Sonja her AWDS buff here, haha (and will she have her AW2 buffs in the AW1 campaign?)

EDIT:
So, interesting detail someone caught! If you listen very carefully to the actual game audio under what the Treehouse people are saying when Nell uses her COP in the Treehouse demo, you can hear that the Power theme has changed! Nell appears to have a unique hyped-up remix of her own theme that plays during the Power turn, rather than the global Power theme from AW1. It's pretty cool! I have mixed feelings about it since I'd hate to lose the original SCOP theme, which is one of the best tracks from the entire OST, but I bet all of the remixed amped-up unique themes are gonna sound really great.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think from the footage shown so far you can see that units are still doing the same damage as they did in AW1, so probably no major balancing changes, unless there are some we just haven't seen yet.
If IS is not developing the game, then it is probably better anyway to make sure the balance on existing maps is not messed up.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Max Hamm

Smash Rookie
Dig these cut-ins - these look great! The new style takes a little getting used to, but it's growing on me. It looks particularly good in motion.

View attachment 319483
View attachment 319484

These CO power animations alone make it all worthwhile. The character designs already had so much personality and now they get to come to life. Can't wait to see how the Black Hole COs look in motion. I think WayForward is a really good choice for this project; hopefully they get to make an original game in the series after Reboot Camp.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, that's an interesting point! Nell is interesting, she changes a lot from game to game aesthetically (perhaps more than most!) I think in AW1 she does come across as pretty young and cute, while in AW2 and AW3 they push her in more of a serious, "businesslike" direction. It looks like they're not necessarily adopting a uniform conformity to the AW1 or AW2 portraits (which I think is wise), as evidenced by the fact that Olaf is in his (much better) AW2 outfit, while Nell feels more like AW1 Nell. It will be interesting to see which outfit they go with for other COs whose portraits change noticeably from AW1 to AW2; Sonja comes to mind.
To me, Nell has always been kinda adult-like right from AW1. I think this game just really up'd the kawaii factor to her and made her look younger.
Interestingly, in the Treehouse stream Eagle's CO Power has the name "Lightning Drive," the name of his regular CO Power from AW2, during gameplay footage of an AW1 map (and in the Treehouse footage this power has the extra turn mechanic). In both AW1 and AW2, however, the CO Power that gives some units an extra turn is called "Lightning Strike" (and "Lightning Drive" is for the power that doesn't give an extra turn).

This is indeed quite confusing.
Yeah, I have no idea what that means for the final release or if it will be changed before then. Either this is an error on their part or something funky is going down with the implementation of CO Powers in this game. Also, RamOne RamOne pointed out how Nell is able to use her CO Power in Field Training when that wasn't the case in the original.

DNeon my boy! You're finally back after years of being gone. Welcome back my dude!

Yeah I agree, the artstyle is fine IMO. It's sorta one foot in the door cartoon and the other anime which is perfect for the Wars World games. You're also correct about the first 2 being remade together given similar themes. Dual Strike was noticeably darker compared to the GBA games but no where near as dark as Days of Ruin. That being said, I think it's more of an issue with DS being mechanically different from the GBA games. I think if this remake does well enough, WayForward could remake Dual Strike with even more content IMO.

You bring up balancing changes and that's very interesting. CO's were buffed and nerfed between games so I wonder if they'll have different stats in each game or there will be one stat between both games for each CO.
Andy will be a good pick to end the Fighterpass 2 wouldn't mind it.
Well, you might say we're all in agreement when it comes to this haha. I do think there's a chance and part of me believes Andy as Fighter 11 could be announced alongside the Japanese release date for this game.
Yeah, the balance question is an interesting one. I figure they probably shouldn't tinker with anything since it could throw off the balance of campaign maps. With that said, I certainly wouldn't mind if they gave Sonja her AWDS buff here, haha (and will she have her AW2 buffs in the AW1 campaign?)

EDIT:
So, interesting detail someone caught! If you listen very carefully to the actual game audio under what the Treehouse people are saying when Nell uses her COP in the Treehouse demo, you can hear that the Power theme has changed! Nell appears to have a unique hyped-up remix of her own theme that plays during the Power turn, rather than the global Power theme from AW1. It's pretty cool! I have mixed feelings about it since I'd hate to lose the original SCOP theme, which is one of the best tracks from the entire OST, but I bet all of the remixed amped-up unique themes are gonna sound really great.
I mean, it depends. If we get banger tracks for each CO Power/CO Super Power, I wouldn't mind TBH. Maybe Andy could retain the default CO Power themes while the other CO's get their own unique themes. I'm just throwing ideas out, there's so much to this game that we just don't know about.
I think from the footage shown so far you can see that units are still doing the same damage as they did in AW1, so probably no major balancing changes, unless there are some we just haven't seen yet.
If IS is not developing the game, then it is probably better anyway to make sure the balance on existing maps is not messed up.
True, but that brings up the question of what they intend to do for VS mode when it comes to which stats for the CO's are used in that mode.
To be fair, they'd also done the same for Advance Wars.

Here's hoping this game does very well so IntSys changes it's mind on AW. Or maybe they figured out how to incorporate relationship mechanics for their next game and these remakes are a test to see if AW is profitable enough for a full-blown new game with a bigger budget.
These CO power animations alone make it all worthwhile. The character designs already had so much personality and now they get to come to life. Can't wait to see how the Black Hole COs look in motion. I think WayForward is a really good choice for this project; hopefully they get to make an original game in the series after Reboot Camp.
Nothing on AW2 CO's yet which is interesting. Nor is there anything on Sturm, methinks they're going to keep him a secret until the game launches or have him teased in the launch trailer.

Suffice to say, i'd say we're in for an info dump in the September Direct and maybe an Advance Wars Direct in November.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As they should be.

I find it interesting that AW is Ninty's holiday release until further notice, even if Andy probably ultimately isn't in the cards for Ultimate.

Also, still thinking Shredder's Revenge might pop up somewhere in the fourth quarter.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
As they should be.

I know you're trying to make a joke, but given how important of a month December is (holiday season and all that), somebody's gonna get a confidence boost eventually...
To be fair, Nintendo only has one game release in December if, at all. It's not every year that they release games in that month.

And honestly, Advance Wars needs that month to itself. The less competition, the better so we can have more eyeballs and purchases for this game.
I find it interesting that AW is Ninty's holiday release until further notice, even if Andy probably ultimately isn't in the cards for Ultimate.

Also, still thinking Shredder's Revenge might pop up somewhere in the fourth quarter.
Hey don't be quick to rule out Andy. As I mentioned before, they could very well be saving the Japanese release date for the September Direct and possibly reveal him as Fighter 11 to drum up interest over there. And it adds up because it gives people a reason to care about AW in Nintendo's domestic market.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Has anyone compared the Treehouse footage to the original game in order to see if the AI behaves any differently?

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Has anyone compared the Treehouse footage to the original game in order to see if the AI behaves any differently?
I haven't seen AI comparisons specifically, but the guy playing on the treehouse straight up cheeses at one point by baiting with an APC, confident it will be targeted while the people on commentary suggest he's left himself open.

On the other hand, damage comparisons suggest there will be no balance changes, at least when playing AW1 campaign. Finding matches online for this may be complicated between 2 differently balanced games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom