• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Options: Offense vs Defense

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
So what does everybody think about the offensive and defensive options in the game so far? I'm becoming a little concerned that there is a lack of movement options in the game (no dashdance), and that this is making offensive commitment a bit of a struggle. I've been playing a lot of online, and I'm seeing some distinct patterns in my good opponents. I've put my opinions below, but I find them too genuine to my own experience and am in no way asserting them as developing meta trend.

1. They don't approach. I'm the type of player that is eventually going to try to approach because I believe that if approaching puts me at a disadvantage, then the game's not worth playing. As a consequence, in a lot of my games if there's ever a neutral point where both players have equal options, I see that a lot of the time better opponents would rather stand still than attempt to engage a fight. These types of players go for a purely counter-attack centered playstyle and tend to roll a lot. Admittedly, I lose a lot in the beginning until I pick up on their roll habits. What concerns me is that in tournament I wont have as many games to pick up on these habits and that ultimately though I like to approach, it's not the best idea (or perhaps I'm playing bad chars).

2. They roll a lot. I'm not afraid of rolls, in fact, punishing rolls is one of my favorite things to do. But the safety in rolling in this game has made itself more than apparent. The punishment tactics of the prior games don't seem to work as well, the vulnerability window as well as the time inbetween rolls seems far too short. One of the most frustrating things about the game so far has been predicting a roll behind me, attempting to punish it with a move and having my opponent either roll out of it and counterattack or interrupt my move with a jab or something. It's really out of control. I've found that the most consistent punish I can get is a grab, but grabs haven't provided me with very much reward for the punish, so I feel like there's less danger in rolling a lot. I'm also finding that in some character specific scenarios, certain characters simply cannot punish rolls well. This will obviously become a matchup-to-matchup thing, but I find myself so astonished at the amount of times trying to punish a roll as a certain character has not only failed, but gotten me counter-attacked instead.

3. They like to reset to neutral. I've taken to this strategy as well. In the course of the game I find that there are a lot of roll skirmishes, and as soon as one player gets a hit and takes the advantage, the other player's best option is to land on the stage and roll as far away as possible. In my opinion, once someone can knock the opponent into the air or on the ground he has all the momentum. This is not necessarily because he can follow up, but because he then can move around the stage more freely, giving him overall more offensive options. I think this situation would not be as bad if so many moves didn't have such outrageous ending lag. If you've been knocked into the air, it's almost never worth it to try to counter attack because smart players will only get hit by it once or twice, then they'll start baiting it out. Often the best way to get back to the stage is to do nothing and watch to see if the opponent goes for a follow up, and air dodging if they do. Now, of course, the air dodge can be baited out too, but even baiting it is not always punishable. For whatever reason, when you get knocked in the air in this game you get sent way into the air, there are very few low altitude knock ups. The bait options aren't even very good, the only time you can actually punish is if you do an empty short hop. If you full hop you will get airdodged and counter attacked every time.

All in all, I think that there is no direct way to mount an approach. My main strategy is to bait my opponent's movement by making them think i'm approaching. I do lots of empty hops to bait out moves and rolls. I run past their shields to bait out rolls and dair on the spot that they roll to. I figure out their favorite punishments and try to space myself in such a way that they think they can land it. I wouldn't call it an offense, it's more like counter defense.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
I agree on the movement opinions but i read that dashdancing is in the game, on my 3DS i can't do it maybe on a gamecube controller, rolls are really good that's true but I can manage to punish one with a f-smash using marth or a f-tilt but I think that you can't judge the game in this way via online battles because almost everyone that I have played camps a lot, but in tournaments you see more people going for an aggressive play stile and more combos, in my opinion this game now favors just a bit more a defensive game but slightly, it's nowhere near as bad as brawl was that's for certain

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
I do agree with Gionni. You can't judge the game just because of online game modes. They can get away with their predictable patterns and spamming due to lag, which does happen occasionally in Smash 4. I play Captain Falcon, who is a rushdown, aggressive, mix-up character, and if you're patient and space your moves right, you can definitly approach. I do agree about Rolls though.

LightLV

Smash Ace
Approaching in any game is risky. But yeah, the reason offensive play feels so risky in smash 4 is simply because it is.

Unlike most games, Smash 4 seems to treat nearly all approaches as equal. There is barely any blockstun or pushback on moves anymore, meaning just about every non-grab approach is, at BEST, neutral on block. There isn't neeearrllly as much risk in blocking moves as it is in having your move blocked. Shields regenerate at a pretty lenient rate, making most cases of shield damage pretty pointless, when you compound the fact that rolls and spot dodges are better than they've ever been, allowing them easy breathing room to recover.

So, at the end of the day, there's just really no room for true offensive pressure in this game. You can eat people up pretty badly by reading them, but defensive playstyles are just more rewarding than offensive ones. Case in point, you'd be very hard pressed to find moves in this game that aren't flat-out unsafe on block (without fadeaway), and rolls are so good that even some meaties are unsafe.

Approaching is mostly dangerous, rolling is mostly safe (considering you aren't being downloaded), and resetting to neutral is kind of just how smash works now, since not every character is lucky enough to have hits that can confirm into true death combos at high percents.

Last edited:

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
try to play offline only.... for glory is always just 2 characters rolling around and jabbing until one person tries to do something else and gets shield grabbed. or a lucina spamming shield breaker because you cant time spot dodges due to lag and either get hit or have your shield broken.

offline play is much better, especially on stages with platforms, but it still involves a lot of waiting, rolling, and shield grabbing.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
Approaching in any game is risky. But yeah, the reason offensive play feels so risky in smash 4 is simply because it is.

Unlike most games, Smash 4 seems to treat nearly all approaches as equal. There is barely any blockstun or pushback on moves anymore, meaning just about every non-grab approach is, at BEST, neutral on block. There isn't neeearrllly as much risk in blocking moves as it is in having your move blocked. Shields regenerate at a pretty lenient rate, making most cases of shield damage pretty pointless, when you compound the fact that rolls and spot dodges are better than they've ever been, allowing them easy breathing room to recover.

So, at the end of the day, there's just really no room for true offensive pressure in this game. You can eat people up pretty badly by reading them, but defensive playstyles are just more rewarding than offensive ones. Case in point, you'd be very hard pressed to find moves in this game that aren't flat-out unsafe on block (without fadeaway), and rolls are so good that even some meaties are unsafe.

Approaching is mostly dangerous, rolling is mostly safe (considering you aren't being downloaded), and resetting to neutral is kind of just how smash works now, since not every character is lucky enough to have hits that can confirm into true death combos at high percents.
That's also true but in the end the game just came out we can't know what will happen a year from now, the metagame is even younger than that of PM

LightLV

Smash Ace
That's also true but in the end the game just came out we can't know what will happen a year from now, the metagame is even younger than that of PM
True, but this isn't really a thing that can be panned out through the meta. Mechanically speaking, that's just how smash 4 is. The mechanics favor defense, and 10 years of gameplay won't change that. The meta wont evolve against it because the game encourages it.

Patches and rebalancing might, but that's something we'll just have to see.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Is this the same game where Diddy, Sheik and Sonic are being lauded as top characters? Defense is strong but with generally low rewards. Approaching is tough, especially for those with approaching issues, but the rewards are much greater.

NairWizard

Somewhere
3. They like to reset to neutral. I've taken to this strategy as well. In the course of the game I find that there are a lot of roll skirmishes, and as soon as one player gets a hit and takes the advantage, the other player's best option is to land on the stage and roll as far away as possible.
Whoa, I completely disagree here, and with your entire post in fact. If you roll away after you are hit you are giving up stage control. Giving up stage control is in many ways worse than just taking a followup hit or damage. You do want to reset to neutral as often as you can when you are in disadvantage, but you don't want to do that by rolling to the other end of the stage. Just DI out of the followup, land in a safe position, then continue playing footsies with your opponent in neutral.

Rolling is a really bad option and most competitive players don't roll frequently at all (there are some with roll habits). Rolling moves you a set distance, unlike walking, and it commits you to a roll animation, so in general it is worse than just about any other option that you could pull out in neutral (except for smash attacking or using a laggy aerial, I guess).

If you stand in one place you are also allowing your opponent to take stage control and putting yourself in disadvantage, so that's not really good either (but not as bad as rolling: at least you aren't committing to anything).

Offense is the best way to win in this game: you won't get anywhere by rolling and blocking everything. This doesn't mean go for attacks all the time; you have to be patient in applying your offense. Carefully pressure your opponent's shield. Don't just run in and mash buttons, you won't win that way.[/quote]

Last edited:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Movement options are not inherently offensive. With the huge nerfs to real defensive options and buffs to offensive burst movement I think we'll be sitting ok when the dust settles judging from the mechanics.

Keep in mind shielding is not inherently a defensive option, this is a mistaken perception. In brawl dash shield was one of the games most common approaches.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

While this is true, it is exaggerated. There's actually a good amount of pushback or shield damage on a number of charactes (Bowser most noticably). The problem is they can barely capitalize on it, and that's the main problem. I do agree there needs to be a lot of blockstun so shielding isn't so powerful (even if it would screw OOS options).

Is this the same game where Diddy, Sheik and Sonic are being lauded as top characters? Defense is strong but with generally low rewards. Approaching is tough, especially for those with approaching issues, but the rewards are much greater.
Diddy is lauded as top tier because he's one of the few characters that can take advantage of shield decay through bananas. Also, he grabs. He grabs a lot.

I haven't heard of anyone saying Sonic is top tier, and I haven't heard anything about Shiek ever since she got nerfed.

Dr. Dobis

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jopus77
3DS FC
1993-8200-6012
I've found so far that ground game may be a little more defensive than offensive, however hasn't become much of a problem yet. I think air dodges are far too rewarding, or the hitstun on certain attacks isn't long enough and it makes a lot of aerial combos.
Kinda like the change of pace the faster rolls have brought though.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Diddy is lauded as top tier because he's one of the few characters that can take advantage of shield decay through bananas. Also, he grabs. He grabs a lot.

I haven't heard of anyone saying Sonic is top tier, and I haven't heard anything about Shiek ever since she got nerfed.
Is Diddy shield stabbing with bananas? How is he widdling down shields in the first place? Honest question, because I don't face Diddy's often (for as good as he seems).

"Sonic is a cancer." Is a common phrase in the competitive impressions thread. As we know, cancer is a top tier disease, so it follows that Sonic is top tier.

Sheik (and Greninja/ZSS for that matter) are still very good characters that are offense based. Even with nerfs, these characters still have the same basic game plan that is very difficult to deal with. Get in, get combos, rack damage, kill. They get in with relative ease due to their high mobility.

Who do you consider top characters? Is it because of their defense/anti-approach strategies?

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Is Diddy shield stabbing with bananas? How is he widdling down shields in the first place? Honest question, because I don't face Diddy's often (for as good as he seems).

"Sonic is a cancer." Is a common phrase in the competitive impressions thread. As we know, cancer is a top tier disease, so it follows that Sonic is top tier.

Sheik (and Greninja/ZSS for that matter) are still very good characters that are offense based. Even with nerfs, these characters still have the same basic game plan that is very difficult to deal with. Get in, get combos, rack damage, kill. They get in with relative ease due to their high mobility.

Who do you consider top characters? Is it because of their defense/anti-approach strategies?
It's mainly F-air. It pushes the shield back and does good shield damage, and good Diddys will attempt to aim for your feet with the banana, causing you to trip if you don't angle it downward. At that point you'll probably get D-thrown and Up-air'd for about 40% - 50% damage. Monkey flip is also annoying to deal with it as well since it grabs you in the air, and Diddy has very strong KO power.

"Sonic is a cancer" is mainly said because no one likes playing against him. Not because he's hard, but because he's annoying and tiring. He approaches with spin dash and you pretty much have to play against his momentum through figuring out what he's about to do next. The majority of my Sonic matches come pretty close to timing out.

Far as top tiers go, I would only say Diddy is top tier with full confidence. His stage control and offensive power synergizes very well. I believe everyone else, Rosalina included, are going to be figured out and their top tier placements will be questioned.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
ftr Sonic is considered among the best characters by most competitive players, so are sheik and Rosalina.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
The tier question was more to answer the OP question of what is stronger, offense vs defense. From my own play, Mega Man has an amazing defensive game to stuff approaches with pellets/MB's as well as having the uppercut to punish any unsafe on shield aerials, dash attacks, or whiffed moves. This doesn't make him OP, because the reward for stuffing safe approaches is low (punishing unsafe approaches is high, but unsafe approaches are... unsafe). Defense is good, but offense is generally more rewarding in this game.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I'm an offense type of guy, I like being in your face almost all of the time, so I really hope the game evolves into an offensive one.

Telmarine

Smash Rookie
While this is true, it is exaggerated. There's actually a good amount of pushback or shield damage on a number of charactes (Bowser most noticably). The problem is they can barely capitalize on it, and that's the main problem. I do agree there needs to be a lot of blockstun so shielding isn't so powerful (even if it would screw OOS options)..
This is why something called 'reversals' exist in other games.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
More stun on shield potentially leads to 64 status camping.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Part of 64's issue in that regards is because of the insanely low endlag on grab whiffs. It's a combination of factors, shield stun isn't a huge part of the problem imo. And even then it's not that bad, 64 has the most stocks per round for a reason.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
True, but this isn't really a thing that can be panned out through the meta. Mechanically speaking, that's just how smash 4 is. The mechanics favor defense, and 10 years of gameplay won't change that. The meta wont evolve against it because the game encourages it.

Patches and rebalancing might, but that's something we'll just have to see.
I think that in 10 years even that can change in the game, I also think that this game favours defense just a bit more but it's not impossible to play offensive and as you said patches will also make a big difference, though i'm really happy to see that there's a lot of people at least trying to play this game, I thought that after brawl people would have sticked to melee, 64 and PM

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Looking at the OP post again, I have a few thoughts.

1. Doing anything in a fighting game has the chance to put you at a disadvantage. This goes for approaching as well.
2. Rolls are punishable. Predict their rolls and chase after them if they keep rolling.
3. If they're constantly running away, then freaking go after them with reason.

I have been playing a steady game of mostly ground oriented combat, but this changes depending on the distance between characters in a matchup. I may use more aerials when fighting against zoning characters (or perhaps I don't). I keep to the ground typically for my neutral game. Walking and hitting with tilts can rack up damage surprisingly quick. Throws are a funny thing because they can also serve as setups. I FThrow with Fox and if they try to come back from above, I may not attack at first if I expect the air dodge. If I'm right, BAM, a USmash on them. Throws are also good just for the sake of positioning. I'll throw with Bowser to control the stage.

Oddly enough lately, playing in For Glory has been mostly shooting fish in a barrel when I play like this. If you're familiar with other fighting games, the approach above is actually normal.

As an aside, save the running for getting in and simply walk and jump when in mid-range.

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
While this is true, it is exaggerated. There's actually a good amount of pushback or shield damage on a number of charactes (Bowser most noticably). The problem is they can barely capitalize on it, and that's the main problem. I do agree there needs to be a lot of blockstun so shielding isn't so powerful (even if it would screw OOS options).

Yes, this is something i suggested to be tweaked over in that balance patch thread. There are a few characters that have moves that are made safe on block through blockpush/stun, but there is little gained from it.

OOS options are fine, especially on moves that need to be unsafe, but I feel like most characters should have a few offensive options that, when blocked, deal enough lasting shield damage to eventually create pressure against blocking your attacks. That doesn't really happen in this game.

I don't know about Sonic or new Sheik, but this was the same deal with Metaknight in brawl. It's just an exception where a character coincidentally has tools that are able to exploit mechanics that other characters can't.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I don't know about Sonic or new Sheik, but this was the same deal with Metaknight in brawl. It's just an exception where a character coincidentally has tools that are able to exploit mechanics that other characters can't.
An honest question: Which characters then are most hurt by the opponent's good rolls?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Not really, 64 is campy because the huge shield stun combines with the lack of DI and high hitstun to basically case being grabbed/hit to string into death.

In this case, the punishment for whiffed offence wouldn't be anywhere near as high, so it would encourage a bit more offensive play if shields had more stun.

Whatever though, it is what it is.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Shieldbreaker, pound, stone (meh), DK headbutt,Bowser butt, yoshi dair all do heavy shield damage. Perfect? Nope but some characters can pressure shield in a way that says "you shouldn't block this".

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Lack of shield stun doesn't mean that much. Almost everything in Tekken is unsafe on block, but the game is not degenerative for it.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Shieldbreaker, pound, stone (meh), DK headbutt,Bowser butt, yoshi dair all do heavy shield damage. Perfect? Nope but some characters can pressure shield in a way that says "you shouldn't block this".
There are a few moves that do huge shield damage, but some of the moves you listed are pretty risky in general.

The idea is a bit more general safety attacking on shield so you can apply some pressure and try to push your opponent into disadvantageous positions.

But yeah some is better than none I guess

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Yup, but in general you just grab shields and exploit your options out of that. Until they go "he's really grabby" then you catch them in attacks, rolls, spotdodges because shielding became unreliable.

Again though I think the only threat to this is the potency of rolling.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Run in, dodge out, repeat feint until they make a mistake, or until they stop reacting and let me in.

Alternately, you have choices like Sheik and Fox who can still spam their projectile and force the opponent to commit.

Even still, the only things I'd change would be increase shieldstun slightly, maybe increase some characters' grab range, and slightly improve air-speed for some characters (or momentum transfer from a run).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Also low shield stun is less of an issue than everything being unsafe on hit. That is when you really start worrying.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Also low shield stun is less of an issue than everything being unsafe on hit. That is when you really start worrying.
This is part of smash's rock paper scissor. Shield beats attack, attack beats grab, grab beats shield. Many people seem to have forgotten the "grab beats shield" part and dont go for them nearly enough. Granted if your experience is from melee or PM its partially understandable since theres significantly less emphasis on grabs from neutral (esp outside top level).
Not really, 64 is campy because the huge shield stun combines with the lack of DI and high hitstun to basically case being grabbed/hit to string into death.

In this case, the punishment for whiffed offence wouldn't be anywhere near as high, so it would encourage a bit more offensive play if shields had more stun.

Whatever though, it is what it is.
I understand where youre coming from, but It had more to do with trying to explain what I observed in top level 64 then taking a mechanic and trying to find a flaw, though I think gawain said saying something similar so Ill quote him:
Part of 64's issue in that regards is because of the insanely low endlag on grab whiffs. It's a combination of factors, shield stun isn't a huge part of the problem imo. And even then it's not that bad, 64 has the most stocks per round for a reason.
Yes that was too oversimplified, it likely is a combination of things. Although I think shield stun makes a notheworthy difference, since avoiding an attack tends to revert to spacing another attack or tricky movement from what Ive seen and experienced. If you know youll lose an exchange as soon as you or your shield is hit you tend to not want to be within the distance of your opponent that any attack can expose you. I think we can see that it's neutral game does move at a slower pace, but this is compensated by its speedy punish game (particularly how easy it is to kill once youve succeeded in neutral).

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
People think grabs are cheap.
Then there is no saving them?

I've been conditioning myself to grab even trivial things.
Shulks Grab comes out faster than any of his attacks except for his Jab. Better going for the grab then letting your jab get shielded.
Then he can walk utilt as a trap or edgeguard. Plenty of reward to me.

I don't pretend to play a lot of other fighters, but from what I have, blocking is generally always strong and you look for a way to open them up.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You're on the money. It's about opening them up. No defense is impenetrable.

Top Bottom