• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Options: Offense vs Defense

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If you come from Melee and PM the shield differences make gameplay a lot different for how you handle the neutral.

Brawl and Smash 4, though less so smash 4, is more feinting and baiting while not necessarily hitting them. Breaking through defense isn't as hard as people think but some characters are clearly designed to do this vs some who can offer other styles.

This is why I love Smash 4 a lot more. It's making a niche and unique cast a lot more than past games.

Quillion

Smash Hero
So it's pretty much the way Egoraptor describes Ocarina of Time (video linked to correct time), right?

LightLV

Smash Ace
Lack of shield stun doesn't mean that much. Almost everything in Tekken is unsafe on block, but the game is not degenerative for it.
Actually, most things in tekken actually are quite safe on block, most strings are only punished by really small pokes. But that's because defense in tekken is the most complex of any fighting game. Most of the cast has some sort of parry move, there are multiple types of throw breaks to consider, and then you still have to factor in wakeup and the Z axis.

An honest question: Which characters then are most hurt by the opponent's good rolls?
Well, everyone has access to the same defensive options. I think it has a bigger impact on the game at large than specific characters, but it certainly won't help any characters that need to stay close but lack the tools necessary.

The way I feel it though, it's more like, offensive gameplay is certainly possible with some characters (obvious Sheik and ZSS, Fox, Falcon, ect), but otherwise you're kind of forced to play down to the tune of the character with the best spacing tools. Otherwise, rushdown is kind of limited to really hard reads. I don't feel like pressure is a concept for many characters in this game.

Top Bottom