• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Options in the air?

ThePunisher

Smash Rookie
What can Zelda do when she is being hit the air? At a tournament today this was my biggest problem. I just didn't know what to do. Is air dodging her only option?

goodkid

Smash Lord
Zelda can air dodge, if they get next to you, you can drop-down and u-air.

Also, I know you were trying to get some help, but please look in the other threads, where I'm sure you'll find your answers and even more. The Zelda board is getting a little spammed with too many threads on questions that can be answered if you check another thread. Also try the search button to see if there are any threads pertaining to your question.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
D-Air will catch a lot of people off guard, also you can use her teleport to return to the ground.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
D-Air will catch a lot of people off guard, also you can use her teleport to return to the ground.
Be careful with FW though. Chances are you'll only have two directions: straight down or towards the center of the stage. If you can pull off that mid angle, great, that's just another option, but you'll want to teleport away from them, not at them because they'll just retaliate (which might help if you're low enough and they knock you over the edge).

Anyway, your main options are FW, dair, or air-dodge. Other possibilities are to a side and DF for momentum, nair, or NL. If you want, go ahead and use your transformation, but that plays on their inability to judge your time, as well as plays on the situation. Another thing is fastfall, though that should be used at a minimum due to her light weight making her fall slow even then.

S2

Smash Lord
Yeah, learn to airdodge. You'll get killed a lot of you try to come down on opponent's aggressively, since most characters outrange Zelda's air sweetspots with higher priority attacks. Those sweetspots have uses, but they aren't to protect you from an aerial assualt as you come down recovering.

FW should only be used sparingly. Try when an opponent is also in the air. A good rule of thumb is this: if the opponent can make it to where you're going to FW to, then assume they will. Most of the time you'll only have 1 or 2 places you can FW without massive falling lag, the opponent is going to punish you if they can.

And remember that if you airdodge into the ground, you can buffer a d-smash (very fast).

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
You don't have to sweetspot a dair for it to be effective. You can start it early and the lasting animation will make them flinch as long as your timing is right. That or they'll airdodge and you'll be able to go by.

Iris

Smash Ace
Airdodge is your best friend. Nair is decent, and though her lightning kicks are extremely situational, they're decent options, but there's really no other way to get down to the ground safely and quickly without just dodging.

leogeo2

Smash Cadet
FW mind games are fun to do. On few occasions I've managed to teleport under my opponent when they tried to jump up and Uair me and I managed to Usmash for the KO.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Zelda's aeirals outpower just about anone else's, so if you can, get in range to sweetspot one of them. that will shake off or maybe kill your assailant.

if that's not an option, it depends on where they are:
if they are too close to zelda on one side or the other, if you can back away and lighting kick, great, if they are close enough to nair, do it. if not: airdodge or FW away.

if they are below... it really sucks... airdodge or FW away... anything else is really situational.

if they are above... you are at the advatage, obviosuly, Uair Uair Uair!

Aeyr

Smash Apprentice
I think it depends on the character and what they're doing while your in the air. Out of habit now I use d-air but against characters like, toon like and even Zelda I usually stay wary of them using their up-airs on me if I miss the d-air so I resort to dodging. Haven't gotten the farore's to stage thing down yet since I usually get hit while trying -__-.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Another thing is make sure you have you second jump if possible. You can jump and avoid, then fastfall into bair/fair to send them flying if you're good enough to sweet spot.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
I use FW very often; it's great for mind games since just when they think you've become predictable you can smash or use NL.
I'm good at aiming it and I either aim straight down for little to no falling lag, or straight for (or just above) the ledge if I'm recovering.

I'm surprised not many people are suggesting nair.
What's her neutral air's priority?
Range and speed seem to be OK, though there is a bit of lag after.
Nair lag doesnt matter if you hit since it has decent knockback, but if you miss...

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Downshift, n-air will be out prioritized by virtually every other attack if they are below zelda.

N-Air either needs to come from the side, from below, or at an angle.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
That was discussed already RoyalBlood. With all due respect, at least read through some of the replies to get an idea of what has and hasn't been covered in a thread.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
That was discussed already RoyalBlood. With all due respect, at least read through some of the replies to get an idea of what has and hasn't been covered in a thread.
RoyalBlood, what he means is dont rely on FW consistently; you become predictable and easy to punish with the long landing lag.

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
Oh, Ok well i use FW often in my Zelda i guess i'll have to stop doing it so i don´t become predictable thanks for the tip Downshift

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Just teleport down onto a ledge so you don't have any ending lag, and that will avoid any punishment.

Lol making it sound easy.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Just don't be dumb. Trying to get in range for one of your aerials is all well and good, if the situation calls for it. Very many characters have aerial kill options that are faster, and easier to hit than yours. So the best bet is to play defensively, as in airdodging, or making it to the ledge like sfoster said, and then putting yourself in control of the air game.

Top Bottom