• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions on the voice acting

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I think the most disappointing aspect of the voice acting is the recycled voice clips for most characters. Sonic having Generations voice clips, Captain Falcon and Marth still using their Melee voice clips, and most of the Brawl vets using the exact same sounds from that game sort of hurts the feeling of newness and makes the game seem less like the high-budget experience it's supposed to be.
You... you would actually want them to change Captain Falcon's voice clips?! What is wrong with you?!

Last edited:

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
You need to hear this ****, I would preffer to play this in engish, cause Sonic's spanish teen voice is just TERRIBLE.

D

Deleted member

I think that it's pretty good... except for Fox and Falco. Their voices are pretty damn grating in my opinion and I far prefer what they sound like in Brawl. I'm also disappointed that Bowser's, Donkey Kong's, and Diddy Kong's voice actors didn't do any voice work for any of these characters in this game.
The rest of the new voices are pretty good and I don't really care that they reused voice clips from Brawl for most of the veterans.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I'm sad there's no language audio option, but I've pretty much gotten used to it by now.
Though Fox's and to an extent, Falco's voices are just unforgivable. I can't take the Space Corgi serious anymore. :c
I still wished DK, Diddy and Bowser had their main series voices though.

Zer0Shade

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zer0Shade
3DS FC
0104-0338-8112
Male Robin says "Let's tip the scales" instead of "Time to tip the scales".

Shog

Smash Ace
Wii Fit German Voices are horrible.
I have to say though Sonic's German voice is actually pretty decent.

Otherwise I am fine with it. Kirby saying the Monado Arts like Speed is adorable though.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I haven't played intensively enough to notice a lot of the voice acting except Ness, Ike, Shulk, Captain Falcon, Kirby, Wii Fit Trainers, and Fox.

I'm a bit happy Ness got some new voice acting, but it's a little weird to me. I'm going to have to get used to it.
Ike got pretty much all his voice clips from Brawl. I'm not disappointed, though, I liked his Brawl voice.
I think Shulk is hilarious, his voice acting is great in my opinion.
Captain Falcon sounds like his voice is slightly lower, but that's it. I have no issue with that, but I'm not sure why they would have done it.
Kirby's voice acting is cute. But it's a bit odd like Ness' in my opinion. It'll take some getting used to.
Wii Fit Trainers are pretty hilarious with their voice acting, I like them.
I heard the difference in Fox's voice pretty quickly. It does sound pretty unfitting for him, but to me it sounds funny, so I'm okay with it.

I don't recall Falco's voice being that different, maybe I haven't played enough matches against him to hear it.

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
I only have two major complaints:

Ness still sounds Japanese. This has always bothered me. He's supposed to be an American. Or at least a parody of an American.

Duck Hunt Dog's laugh sounds nothing like Duck Hunt Dog! How did they screw that up?

kyokencl

Smash Rookie
NNID
kyokencl
3DS FC
3969-3699-8305
You need to hear this ****, I would preffer to play this in engish, cause Sonic's spanish teen voice is just TERRIBLE.
thanks ALL GODS that im southamerican

thats simply reaffirms that spain 's dubing in other things that not from spain are AWFULL

but i'm sure that here in latin america could be similar VA(hope not)

thats why my 3DS have english config just for that cases

thats all

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I will have to say. I just heard Peach's victory speech for the first time. "Oh, did I win?" Brings back terrible terrible memories of MarioKart 64 rage. Well played, Nintendo. Well played.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
:4palutena: sounds too orgasmic. :T

I never use :4wendy:, but it's a shame she doesn't have her ghetto b*tch voice from MK8.

:4dedede: got a gross blob monster voice instead of the fabulous Texas flare from Right Back At Ya.

:4wiifit: has reused voice clips for taunts and victory poses from what I've heard, which I'm OK with, it adds to her charm, but if they were gonna do that, could they have at least used the cool ones like "I'm not giving up just yet!" and "Your muscles won't train themselves, you know!" for a taunt and a victory pose respectively?

:4mii:s don't have the voices from Tomodachi Life. You know that would've been epic. :awesome:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
:4kirby: is Adorable
:4pacman: is Awesome
:4olimar::4alph: Should've had Voice Acting
:4mii: Should've used SFX from the Wii/Wii U Console ala Pac-Man
:4lucario: Should've kept Goku Voice
:4fox: LandmastEEEEEEEEEEEERRRR
:4shulk:Should've used Direct Clips from the Trailer for the Really Feeling it Taunt
:4lucina: Come at me, bruh
:4wiifitm: LET'S STRETCH THOSE LEGS
:4ness: try a 1v1v1v1 with only Ness on a Small Stage. Just go n' try it.
:4duckhunt: Muttley Laugh gets old kinda fast, no 8-Bit Laugh
:4drmario: Should've used Melee-esque Voice Clips
:4jigglypuff: I miss the Pudding Voice
:4greninja: Should've kept JP Voice Actor
And most importantly
:4bowser:SHOULD'VE HAD BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY VA.

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
Dislike Lucario and Fox relative to Brawl, but Sonic's lack of "You're too slow!" makes up for it.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Honestly, I really am not feeling Fox and Falco's voice actors.

Everyone else is fine.

Rylos

Smash Rookie
When I heard Fox say LANDMASTER! I just quit the match lol.

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24
I have to say the voice acting is really hit or miss.
-:4mario::4luigi::4bowser::4peach::rosalina::4bowserjr: :4wario2:sound great as always
-:4kirby:sounds adorable!
-:4metaknight::4dedede:sound fine, they were always how I imagined they'd sound (Even though I like the hamminess of the anime voices)
-:4palutena::4pit::4darkpit:voice actor are great. Nothing wrong here
-:4fox:I get that they were trying to make him sound like 64 Fox, but it just doesn't work
-:4falco:Sounds like a boring business man
-:4myfriends::4marth::4lucina::4robinm::4shulk:Not enough of an authority on these guys to tell how accurate their voices are, but they sound fine
-:4ness:Digging the new voice
-:4lucario:Sounds normal enough, don't really mind the voice, sound sort of like the Lucario from the anime movie
-:4sonic:I prefer the Brawl VA, but this guy does a good job
-:4falcon:Perfect

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Time to beat a dead horse on Fox and Falco. My buddies from uni had a field day making fun of Fox's awful new VA when he said crap like "FIRE!" and "LAND MASTER!" and sounded like a congested child.

But uh... Shulk actually seems lacking the accent. Kinda makes me a bit sad, since it sounded much more thick in Xenoblade. I know they're the same dude, but IDK what happened between the two recordings.

No problems with anyone else though.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Ok, the taunts of German Wii Fit Trainer are SO DAMN HILARIOUS. This character doesn't fit this game at all, what the heck was Sakurai thinking?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah it's a bit hit or miss I guess.

I kinda prefer Wii Fit Trainers US voice over her UK voice though..... Then again, the way she says stuff may be neat for trolling purposes.....
Fox... eh that's probably beating a dead horse....
Ness's voice reminds me a bit of his Smash 64 voice so it feels kinda nostalgic.
Charizard sounds a bit more like Bowser than Bowser himself, but I guess that's probably meant to be a similar voice as Ash's Charizard.

I haven't really listened too much to the others yet but I guess these ones stood out to me so far....

sm0kemonster

Smash Rookie
I thought Falco was bad until I heard fox...

Is it realistic that they would fix these in the future, because it really bothers me..?

Last edited:

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
To be honest, I dig Falco's new voice actor. His new voice sounds younger and more arrogant, along with being the kinda guy who prefers prey over bread :p. Fox's is bad though lol - "Fuuuiireeee~1v1menoob"

My favorite VA will always be Shulk though, and you can probably feel why :awesome:.

Last edited:

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
:4duckhunt: Muttley Laugh gets old kinda fast, no 8-Bit Laugh
Even Muttley's laugh is infinitely better than Smash Duck Hunt Dog's. I think the closest real world equivalent to the 8-bit laugh is Scooby-Doo. They didn't even try to make this character sound anything like the actual Duck Hunt Dog.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Fox and Falco have been screwed over. I can't take either of them seriously anymore. Sonic's is meh. Greninja's is hilarious.
Well.. they are walking, talking, spaceship piloting animals.. :rolleyes:

Spirst

Well.. they are walking, talking, spaceship piloting animals.. :rolleyes:
Yeah, but at least they used to have some style. Now, Fox sounds like the kind of person that got shoved in the locker and beaten up for his lunch money as a kid.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I knew Sonic's new voice was coming from a million miles away, so I'm already used to the voice.

It's the fact that it's just voice clips from the games that get on my nerves, though.

Also, I cringe every time Fox says "Fire". I CRINGE I TELL YOU!

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
HAH! Fox and Falco's stupid voices fit, since they both got unbelievably nerfed this time around! That, and since Star Fox got the complete shaft, having Wolf cut.

After seeing people glorify these two characters for a decade in Smash, Sakurai got furious and wanted to **** Fox and Falco over pretty hard. They're both complete and utter joke characters in SSB4! Oh, and so is the Star Fox franchise per se--at least in Nintendo's eyes. I mean, they've yet to really bring out the best from the franchise and prove me wrong. Oh well, I suppose!

. . .

In reality, I hate both of their voices.

Such a shame. So much wasted potential from the Star Fox franchise, regarding Smash. :/

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I find Fox's voice surprinsingly fitting... Odd, but fitting.

The french voices are good as well. Surprising to hear Sonic speak in French, but it's actually better than the English one. The Trainers aren't bad too (the male one seems less motivated though.)

French Lucario also tries to be Batman. Almost an evil Batman. And surprisingly... Greninja too. I'm almost sad that I missed Golluninja.

TPM_23

Smash Cadet
Can I just say the first time I heard Fox's "LANDMATHHHSSTER" voice clip I saw the stereotypical 25-year old nerd with the taped glasses screaming "YOU'VE ACTHIVATED MY TRAP CARD!"

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
:4fox:- Okay, I actually like his voice when he's talking normal, his grunts and most of his voice lines are alright.

But good god, what the heck happened with "Fire' And 'Landmaster" It sounds like he's some type of gnome or something.
:4falco:- a bit less colorful than brawls, but it isn't bad.
:4lucario:- He sounds like a pirate.
:4kirby:- miss his old "Hiiiiii" but, the monado arts voice lines are just too adorable.
:4alph:- I wish he had his voice.
:4greninja:- He sounds like Stich mixed with Gollum, but I actually like it.
:4dedede:- I want his foghorn leghorn voice from Kirby right back at 'ya.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
It's not just voice acting that's important. It's voice directing that's equally important, if not, more so.

And I say that's its even worse in this game than it was in Brawl and it really screws over the VAs, especially the American VA's. And it shows with all the characters(fighters AND assists) here.

The Mario cast sounds less enthusiastic and lively. They sound muffled and soulless, especially the Mario Bros. If you like how they sounded in their own series and spinoffs(I LOVE the taunts in Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour), you're not going to like them here. And I don't care what Ryu Myuutsu says, I HATE the roars for Bowser, DK, and Diddy!

The Zelda cast sounds weak when compared to their source games and even Hyrule Warriors.

Samus Aran's dialogue is generic and short, but you wouldn't know since you can barely hear her. Samus need a good American voice direction, so she, I would think, can sound as good as this

Kirby sounds almost exactly like he does in Triple Deluxe. The problem here is that it doesn't really work in Smash. He should be a bit more vocal . Another problem is that he really sounds incomprehensible. He was easy to understand in the original Smash and even Kirby: Right Back At Ya, but it seems like they're trying to make him sound more babyish and unpronounceable.

And Speaking of Kirby: Right Back At Ya, I would love for King Dedede and Meta Knight to have their roles reprised by Ted Lewis and Eric Stewart(or at least, a good expy) respectively. I was never a fan of King Dedede's... uh, "quacks?" Also, its really unfair that DDD doesn't get to speak properly, yet Meta Knight(whose voice I find generic. I rather he sounds like Antonio Banderas) does? Oh course, he's Sakurai's favorite(well,he was).

Last edited:

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
i must add that i thought the brawl announcer was terrible but this guy, this guy puts the icing on the freaking cake hes horrible

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
as a fox main i couldn't be more mad at fox's up special, i cringe every time i hear it seriously. Also little mac sounds like an anime character or something.

Top Bottom