• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions of the Tier List

Warhawk

Smash Lord
So...this is just like the other tier list thread, except there's an even greater percentage of people who don't know what they're talking about?

Cool.
Do you ever post anything constructive or just attack everyone else? Granted, its a redundant thread, but you didn't address any issue you had with anyone's opinion or provide one of your own. You're making it sound like the people posting are just spewing ridiculous opinions, when for the most part much of these lists they're giving out are very near the current one which is considered (for the most part) correct.

Varist

Smash Lord
1. Falco
2. Peach <---I'll explain my thoughts on this
3. Fox
4. Sheik
5. Marth
6. Puff
7. Ice Climbers (with Wobbling/Blizzobbling legal)
8. Captain Falcon
9. Dr. Mario
10. Samus

I feel that Peach is wayyyy too low on the tier list. With her ability to float, plus her ridiculously good float canceled aerials ->downsmash, I do not think she should be where she is on the current list. Also she has unbelievable recovery and edgeguarding skills. Ohhh what could i be forgetting...bomb-ombs and stitchfaces? So yeah apart from that, obviously Falco for #1 because of recent tournaments, Marth has pretty good range+tippers so that puts him above puff in my book.
I feel that Mewtwo is wayyyy too low on the tier list. With his ability to ledgestall, plus his ridiculously good dtilt -> anything, I do not think he should be where he is on the current tier list. Also he has unbelievable recovery and techchase skills. Ohhh what could i be forgetting...shadowball and confusion? so yeah apart from that, obviously Falco for #1 because of recent tournaments, Luigi has pretty good wavedash + combos so that puts him above puff in my book.

what did we learn?

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
I feel that Mewtwo is wayyyy too low on the tier list. With his ability to ledgestall, plus his ridiculously good dtilt -> anything, I do not think he should be where he is on the current tier list. Also he has unbelievable recovery and techchase skills. Ohhh what could i be forgetting...shadowball and confusion? so yeah apart from that, obviously Falco for #1 because of recent tournaments, Luigi has pretty good wavedash + combos so that puts him above puff in my book.

what did we learn?
I mean, we could mock other people's opinions...that would be helpful...

Varist

Smash Lord
i'm not mocking your opinion, just the way in which you supported it. i think peach is an awesome character. i don't think "floats bob ombs and aerials" is a warrant for higher placement.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Falco or Fox
Falco or Fox
Sheik
Puff or Marth
Puff or Marth
Peach
Falcon
Ice Climbers
Doc/Samus/Ganon in some order, I think Doc is the best of the 3 tho
Pikachu
DK
Luigi
Mario
Young Link
the rest
Strong Bad, since you're the only legit person to post in this thread can I ask you why you think Sheik is third? She hasn't really placed high/won any tourney's recently. I think people are too stuck in the mindset of the mlg days. I really don't know if what i'm saying is right but I think 4th is too high for Sheik anyway. I'm not saying she's a garbage character. Just that Puff, Peach, and maybe Marth are better than her. I just want to know your reason, don't just be like 'd00d she can edjegard so gooodddzz'.

So...this is just like the other tier list thread, except there's an even greater percentage of people who don't know what they're talking about?

Cool.
QFT. Myself uncluded.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Greenareeno is trying soooo hard right now. But it's okay, we forgive you. :)

LittleBoyLarry

Smash Journeyman
in perfect play, fox is the best.
but since no can play perfectly..

1.Falco (because of consistency)
2.Fox (because he's fox)
3.Sheik (tech chase, tech chase, tech chase)
4.Marth (dat long sword)
5.Jiggs (bair,bair,bair)
6.Peach (what's L-cancel?)
7.Falcon (show yo moves)
8.IC's (oh Nana)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Falco isn't fox...
and lol @ Geenareeno. what are you talking about with this whole "sheiks not placing"

RoM4 happened sunday. 2 Sheiks in the Top 10...
lol.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Strong Bad, since you're the only legit person to post in this thread can I ask you why you think Sheik is third? She hasn't really placed high/won any tourney's recently.
I'm personally of the opinion that a character's placing in tournament shows only minimally how a character compares to others. As Super Smash Bros. Melee is very well balanced among the top 4/5 characters, top level play is more about player skill than character choice. Hell, Shroomed, Kage, HugS, Axe, Vectorman, Wobbles, Fly Amanita, etc. do extremely well with bad characters. Tournament results are a decent thing to go by but shouldn't be the be all end all and points more to character popularity and player skill than the character itself's ability.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I'm personally of the opinion that a character's placing in tournament shows only minimally how a character compares to others. As Super Smash Bros. Melee is very well balanced among the top 4/5 characters, top level play is more about player skill than character choice. Hell, Shroomed, Kage, HugS, Axe, Vectorman, Wobbles, Fly Amanita, etc. do extremely well with bad characters. Tournament results are a decent thing to go by but shouldn't be the be all end all and points more to character popularity and player skill than the character itself's ability.

ICs are not bad characters. How do MBR members make posts like this?

The Tycon

Smash Apprentice
even MBR members are entitled to their opinions, Strife.
And, they are bad when matched up with the top 4 or 5 characters, even if they are relatively good against most of the rest of the cast.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Character ability is relative, Strife. Compared to Top Tier, yes, ICs, who are 8th best, are bad. Some people even say Captain Falcon is bad. Who are you to tell them otherwise?
I guess DK is good when you compare him to characters like Kirby and G&W, but that doesn't mean he's good. At least in perspectives where ICs are bad, it's in comparison to something relevant; the best characters.

I also like how you only mentioned IC's, when I mentioned players that used Ganon, Doc, and Samus, which are all contenders for 9th best. Is 8th and higher your cutoff for "good" characters, and I'm just kinda wrong then?

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I don't know how I came off but it seems like you felt like I was trying to attack you which I wasn't. I'm sorry if I was rude, I just thought from what I was getting from you was that you thought they had a considerable edge (leaps and bounds was a bad phrase for me to use) and I just wanted to express that I feel that's not the case. I was more trying to state my opinion and hopefully get your input back and I'm sorry if I offended you, especially since it seems as if we agree.
hey man i am also sorry i kinda responded mean, but it was not in the best mode that day (but thats not a excuse). I realized how i sounded that why I added the part at the end about not meaning to sound like a douche.

Anyway i really do think that the nature of the game makes fox and falco the best two in the game, but clearly results alone show that others can beat them. As long as we r not talking about perfect play melee is balanced enough that no two characters need a tier of their own.

And yes we do seem to agree so i dont know what else to post. (post at u that is)

I dont understand people saying ic's look bad compared to top tier. if u look at their MU's they r really good against top teir. they have a losing but not bad MU vs fox, a very close mu vs falco, they do well vs jiggs (i know some think its even ic's advantage, they have a small advantage vs sheik. those r great MU's and they would be at least a couple of places higher on the tier list if peach was not in the game or didnt destroy them like she does.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
1. Fox - If you're not putting Fox at the top of your list, you're paying too much attention to results.
2. Sheik - Sheik is the best character in the game that doesn't have Fox's up smash.
3. Marth - People place Marth low on the list for the same reason they place Fox too low on the list; too much focus on results, not enough focus on in-game potential.
4. Falco - Falco has too many glaring weaknesses to be top 3.

5. Jiggs - Jiggs has one of the safest playstyles, but just picking her at all is far too much of a risk.
6. Peach - Honestly, Peach may even be above Jiggs.
7. Falcon
8. ICs

After this point, my list doesn't change much from the official list. And if it does after D tier, then it really doesn't matter.

Varist

Smash Lord
don't be dumb phoot. results are all that matter. if yoshi was the best but no one who played him ever got results, is he the best character?

prime example of someone who doesn't understand that action > talk.

Varist

Smash Lord
Can't tell if ********.

edit: I insulted that guy in crush's samus thread. something about octopuses.
edit edit: WAIT ARE YOU IMPLYING THAT THE ONLY PERSON WHO WOULD BACK ME UP WOULD BE MYSELF? i'm not wrong about everything, christ. douchebag ape.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
*sigh*

Only on Smashboards do you have to explain that tier lists are (or at least should be) based on the static game, not which characters happen to be winning. If it were the latter, there wouldn't even be any debate.

Varist

Smash Lord
if we made a tier list that represented the ultimate potential of every single character it wouldn't even be relevant to our game anymore.

Doser

Smash Ace
*sigh*

Only on Smashboards do you have to explain that tier lists are (or at least should be) based on the static game, not which characters happen to be winning. If it were the latter, there wouldn't even be any debate.
Bowser for Top Tier.

LowCarbs

Smash Cadet
*sigh*

There's no real way to prove the potential of a character without results, though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I've been playing this game seriously for 3 years, which is like 20% of my lifetime so far. Most members of the MBR have been playing for far longer (grandpa umbreon i'm looking at you). I've helped program a Brawl hack whose goal is to emulate this amazing game, learning, researching, and memorizing a huge amount of frame data and mechanics information in the process. I've spent thousands of dollars attending smashfests and tournaments all around the United States seeing and partaking in high level competitive play. I know what the **** I'm talking about, through years of personal experience and talking and playing several very good and intelligent players. I don't need to prove it to random people on the Internet who I have no idea whether they even attend local tournaments. If I feel the need to or it'd be helpful to others trying to improve, I'll elaborate on things I say, but Melee Discussion is not the place where I feel obligated to explain my views.

It's not like you can "prove" that a character is 3rd best anyway.

LowCarbs

Smash Cadet
I've been playing this game seriously for 3 years, which is like 20% of my lifetime so far. Most members of the MBR have been playing for far longer (grandpa umbreon i'm looking at you). I've helped program a Brawl hack whose goal is to emulate this amazing game, learning, researching, and memorizing a huge amount of frame data and mechanics information in the process. I've spent thousands of dollars attending smashfests and tournaments all around the United States seeing and partaking in high level competitive play. I know what the **** I'm talking about, through years of personal experience and talking and playing several very good and intelligent players. I don't need to prove it to random people on the Internet who I have no idea whether they even attend local tournaments. If I feel the need to or it'd be helpful to others trying to improve, I'll elaborate on things I say, but Melee Discussion is not the place where I feel obligated to explain my views.

It's not like you can "prove" that a character is 3rd best anyway.
That just reeked of pretentious. I don't intend to be mean, but really...

Top Bottom