• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OoS with yoshi

Zone

Smash Champion
So uh I know you can't really do crap out of shield with yoshi. But you can on a platform. You can still sheild drop with yoshi on a platform then aerial as you fall.

Anyone else do this? I've been applying it.

Old news? I'm new to yoshi. Discuss!

Zone

Smash Champion
I'm in love with Zone! <33333
:D Yoshi is pretty cool, I shoulda played with him a long time ago. I just wasn't ready for the DJ cancel confusion :p

only things i really use so far to fall out of shield is the up-air, and sometimes a falling up+B egg shot. I tried using forward B but meh it's no good lol. Down+B if fast enough you'll stay on the platform but it's really not fast enough to use properly considering how long it takes to come out they can shield in time.

I think once you get them scared of these things, and you can get them to shield when you drop. Maybe you can jump into a nuetral B :D

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
shield drop conditioning to neutral b? FTW

Although when I/my bros start shield dropping, the opponent goes under the platform to catch yoshi before he attacks. Still, his momentum shift + nair is too quick too be true =D

t3h Icy

Smash Master
=O You're picking up Yoshi now? XD

While Yoshi can't jump out of shield, he has a couple of tricks. Remember that when shielding with Yoshi, you are completely safe as it fully protects Yoshi, so you can use that to your advantage. Yoshi also has almost no weight if you lightshield, whereas you'll slide across the ground when hit during a lightshield. The cool thing is Yoshi's shield and lightshield are visually identical.

One thing I like to do is spot dodge out of shield so you can stay in place and stay vulnerable, only it becomes predictable what comes next. Mix up spot dodges, rolls and lightshield slides and abuse the fact that Yoshi is invincible in a shield.

Zone

Smash Champion
Yeah the light shield thing is ridiculous. I use lightshield on Zelda to gain distance from my opponent with the sliding factor, but yoshi's is ********. Good for getting out of pressure I guess.

Spot dodge out of shield is good? Seems risky. Is it so you can sorta like using the spotdodge to extended your invulnerablility just before you try a counter attack?

also as a newer player to yoshi, I realize the strict timing to a jump into double jump reverse F-air. I tend to want to push it too fast and the move won't come out before I hit the ground. Also I learned how much i can't mess up a wavedash by accidently shielding. Cuz then I spam shield let go of shield, shield again then let go of shield. If I keep putting in wave-dash commands when I'm breaking free from the shield/egg.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Also I learned how much i can't mess up a wavedash by accidently shielding. Cuz then I spam shield let go of shield, shield again then let go of shield. If I keep putting in wave-dash commands when I'm breaking free from the shield/egg.
Still my greatest folly to this day.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Why not shield drop -> double jump waveland/attack? Or you could lightshield -> slide off the platform -> dj waveland backwards or something.

Zone

Smash Champion
wow, All I have to do is hit R/L when I do jump/grab/upsmash at the same time? I'll start practicing that. Also I know shield dropping is old news. But I remember yoshi having the biggest problem out of shield, so I tried some attacks out of it, that's all. I don't see many yoshi's doing it. then again I don't see many yoshi's at all LOL.

Ok, Imma try to learn some more yoshi stuff :D

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
i was totally just practicing this tonight and i was like hmm i wonder how much yoshi mains love this shield dropping stuff, so i came here, and found this thread right away lol.

@ opening post, only move that seems useful is falling uair imo. unless your just gonna dbl jump and try something fancy

Top Bottom