• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Only 5 Playable Stages... (explained)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
There are only 5 playable stages in the game: Battle Field, Final Destination, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, and Yoshi’s Island. The rest have some gimmick that makes them almost unplayable.

The level editor is terrible. Its so minimal you wouldn't believe it. We tried to recreate a Melee style final destination, yet we could not even form basic geometric shaped pieces to make the level. It was disappointing.

I was amazed at how many good stages there were throughout subspace, though. Its very disappointing they aren't playable in regular brawls. Hopefully someone will be able to use an action replay to make them playable.

Battle Field: ok
Final Destination: ok
Delfino Plaza: walk off side during part of it
Luigi's Mansion: platforms that can't be passed through, causes the hyrule effect on a lower scale
Mushroomy Kingdom: walk off sides
Mario Circuit: cars and walk off sides
Rumble Falls: walk off sides, spikes and one nearly KOing spike
Bridge of Eldin: walk off sides and the bombs to a lesser extent
Wind Waker Stage: catapult and bombs
Norfair: lava
Frigate Orpheon: flipping will occasionally put some players under the stage
Yoshi's Island: ok
Battleship Halberd: some bombs and the claw
Lylat Cruise: ok
Pokemon Stadium 2: gravity lowers and everything becomes floaty on the the flying stage
Mt. Dengan Spear Pillar: Lower level causes the hyrule effect, also some attacks from pokemon
Port Town: cars and wall during part of it
Castle Siege: walk off side during part of it
Warioware: its warioware...
Pikmin Stage: walk off side, some pikmin monster, ramp to the left becomes terrible when it rains
Smashville: ok
New Pork City: too large and monster that walks around sometimes
The Summit: gravity lowers during part of the stage, and theres the fish
Skyworld: hyrule effect on the platforms that are impassable, and characters will fly through passable ones when they are hit
75m: poorly made overall
Classic Mario Bros stage: walk of sides and monsters
Flat Zone 2: walk of sides, and sprites that attack
Pictochat: most drawings just interfere with the fight
Electroplackton: upper left part makes it very easy to combo people up off the stage
Shadow Moses Island: walls and walk off edges
Green Hill Zone: walk off sides

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
There are only 5 playable stages in the game: Battle Field, Final Destination, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, and Yoshi’s Island. The rest have some gimmick that makes them almost unplayable.
In tournament play? Because I can't see THAT many stages being unplayable otherwise.

Spellweaver

Smash Cadet
Some allowed stages had gimmiks in melee. It's if they are too random (or too dangerous) that they become banned, or they allow for an unbalance (see: walk-offs).

I can imagine a lot of stages that have "gimmiks" being at least counter-picks.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I was about to get angry.

But then I remembered

this is general brawl discussion.

you're all mostly 13 or 14.

and dumb.

I'm sorry, please continue being wrong.
XIF, you're a hero of heroes.

Oh, and qft, duh.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Yeah, stages like Rainbow Cruise, Corneria, or Mute City should've been playable in tournaments.

Wait a minute...

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
Some allowed stages had gimmiks in melee. It's if they are too random (or too dangerous) that they become banned, or they allow for an unbalance (see: walk-offs).

I can imagine a lot of stages that have "gimmiks" being at least counter-picks.
I honestly tried to leave on as many stages as possible, but there are just some things that will screw people over in the other levels. Frigate Orpheon for example, flips you upside down. I thought it was fine at first, but occasionally characters end up under the stage and really cant recover. It doesn't bother me, because I play Meta Knight, but I don't think its fair to characters with worse recoveries.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
A fun game like this, why do you care about stages with hazards? BTW if stages doesn't have that many hazards can be playable in torunaments. They only bann the 2 vs. 2 that if it's too big, too many hazards, and extreamley short stages. 1 vs. 1 most of the stages are playable.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
How much gimmick-free stages had SSB64?

ZERO. Even Green Greens had sometimes a stupid-looking tree blowing at some side. That is to say, play on the ones with less gimmicks.

SonicOfDarkness

Smash Apprentice
suffern new york yo no items no ****y stages i
yo close this thread plz this guy is dum the level create is one of the best things to happen just chill out deal with it alright who you guys who have brawl right who saying all the bad stuff need to chill out now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your not geting anyway with it any so..

SETHMASTEROFPKMN

Smash Cadet
Wow, you must be a really sucky player. How can you NOT play on Hyrule Temple? What gimmick is there to that? Or Super Mario Circuit, or Smashville, or ANY STAGE? If you had any skill, you would know how ti exploit those "gimmicks" to your advantage, or at least be good enough to IGNORE THEM. Like on Dream Land in SSBM. The wind is virtually ignored most of the time when me and my friends play. Or in Or in Mute City. The cars (and this is basically EXCACTLY like Super Mario Circuit) are easy enough to dodge. You can stay in the air or roll around. You ahve only your own lack of skill to blame.

One more thing: How can you not play on Pokemon Stadium?

In short, you just suck.

Alot.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
How much gimmick-free stages had SSB64?

ZERO. Even Green Greens had sometimes a stupid-looking tree blowing at some side. That is to say, play on the ones with less gimmicks.
The n00b speaks logic. Some stages that have slight gimmicks that don't really hinder anything, or to put it another way, have potential to cost a player a life (Isle Delfino, anyone?) should be tourny-legal.

fuuzball317

Smash Apprentice
perhaps the worst topic I've ever seen here. I think the Oprah for brawl topic was better.
This is a sick thread, all the complicated levels are fun, but so gay when it comes to competitive playing, i hated how they didn't put more stable and calm stages in this game.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
yo close this thread plz this guy is dum the level create is one of the best things to happen just chill out deak with it alright who you guys who have brawl right who saying all the bad stuff need to chill out now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your not geting anyway with it any so..
Yo yo homey wazzup in da hizz-house?

(wtf?)

On-topic: unless a stage has some sort of super-trap (Brinstar) or is oddly shaped (Temple), it won't be banned.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
Epic win.

And there already exists an FD clone. Why on earth would you want to make the exact same thing? Get some creativity.
You clearly have not played the game. FD Brawl is much smaller and has an underside that traps traps you, if you tried to recover up it. Of course we could have made a different stage, but thats not the point. I only used that example to explain why the level editor is rather minimal.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
Wow, you must be a really sucky player. How can you NOT play on Hyrule Temple? What gimmick is there to that? Or Super Mario Circuit, or Smashville, or ANY STAGE? If you had any skill, you would know how ti exploit those "gimmicks" to your advantage, or at least be good enough to IGNORE THEM. Like on Dream Land in SSBM. The wind is virtually ignored most of the time when me and my friends play. Or in Or in Mute City. The cars (and this is basically EXCACTLY like Super Mario Circuit) are easy enough to dodge. You can stay in the air or roll around. You ahve only your own lack of skill to blame.

One more thing: How can you not play on Pokemon Stadium?

In short, you just suck.

Alot.
hyrule temple?

hi2u laser camp.

gg next match.

I enjoyed that comment btw.

logic in the house...

indeed.

I also laughed at the end of the above quoted post.

where there was this implication that the poster was good while the topic creater sucked.

oh how misguided.

you're both very bad. =D

Jazriel

Smash Ace
You clearly have not played the game. FD Brawl is much smaller and has an underside that traps traps you, if you tried to recover up it. Of course we could have made a different stage, but thats not the point. I only used that example to explain why the level editor is rather minimal.
The map "traps" you?

Oh noez! Something must be done by the player! I guess you want to have an attack that always hits too, since the point of the game is to hit the enemy off and actually maneuvering your char is too hard for you.

Who cares if it's minimal? Who cares if there's only 5 stages? Suck it up, and get some creativity*. I can already think of 2 **** good stages that involve only horizontal lines that I want to make.

*Since this is obscure and the internetz, creativity is synonymous with intelligence in this context

-Ran

Smash Master
Some of the most entertaining Tournament matches are the ones on 'gimmick maps', such as Poke Floats and Rainbow Cruise. As long as the stages are more 'passively gimmicked' and can't kill you due to damage they impose, then they will be fine for tournament play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom