• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

online pet peeves

Minordeth

Smash Ace
For the most part, the lag in this game hasn't been as bad as I've been anticipating. I mean, it's nowhere near GGPO, or something, but it's serviceable.

Actually, another pet peeve is going from playing Japanese players to Western players. It seems near all of the Japanese players I've played always do a form of salute by throwing out a taunt at the beginning of the match. After 10 rounds of that action, switching back to dudes who rush in when you absent-mindedly taunt is a shock.

Thanks, regional play!

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
And here i thought i could avoid the gender wars (at the very least) in a videogame forum.
How foolish of me.

Ah well, i will keep using male words as neutral because that´s how i did it my entire life and because that´s how it works in my native language, and if any of the neofemicrazies have a problem with it....well, that´s their problem i guess?

And as a pet peeve, i guess i am a bit saddened at how Super Smash Bros 3D seems to be shifting into Shield Grab Dodge 3DS.

Last edited:

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
I hate it when I win 7 games in a row against someone in for glory and they win once and leave.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
I know that feel, happened to me once... But that was so frustating. I don't mind zoning, when pulled correctly, it's a good tacting. But cowardly spaming... I was hanging on the edge, and he was just spamming his arrows. FOREVER.
That toon link should of used the bombs when you were on the ledge.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
There is actually stunningly little input lag for the mode. That's really quite surprising to be honest. Still annoying, but surprising.

Indeed. Of course, we don't live in the 1700's (or the 1960's). We also don't use "thee" and "thou," anymore, so appealing to traditionally usages of a word in one of the more fluid languages on the planet is pretty silly. It's not as if that usage wasn't also recognized to have short-comings, both culturally and technically, hence why it fell out of favor. It was also taught because, hey, the dominant cultures of the day were strongly patriarchal and men were the default people folk.

It's amazing how things change!

Yes, please take a clearly flippant statement and try and twist it into some kind of message board imperialist screed. Ironic that you presume how people "normally" speak, and then accuse me of "enforcing" my cultural background. What is my cultural background by the way? You, of course, are making broad guesses to justify your weird rant, so keep on keeping on.

And hey, who are you to tell me how people normally speak! I am a people, too! Stop trying to enforce your culturally prescribed background on what is lunky (clunky?) and pointless on me!

You are contradicting yourself. The singular "they" is a part of colloquial English but is not technically correct (note - actually, that's in contention, as its use is not quite widely accepted, but it is gaining ground, and will probably end up being the defacto gender neutral stand-in, eventually). Yet, somehow you can denigrate "proper English" here, while simultaneously making an appeal to an even older, outdated "proper English" to bolster your initial point.

Coincidentally, I never said it was "wrong" to use, but rather "technically incorrect" - which it is actually taught as. Hence why I followed up that statement with a joke about people (in this very thread!) using "he" to apparently refer to multiple genders.

"He" as a gender inclusive pronoun fell out of favor literally decades ago. Please explain how you know that people mean "he" in the gender-inclusive form, which hasn't really even been taught - other than a grammatical aside - since before most of the posters here (including myself) were born? Can you give some examples from these standard education systems? I'm curious because, by golly, I've been through quite a bit of the whole school deal, and most all of the current literature I read sure does avoid using the whole "he as a gender neutral" thing.

Anyway, the whole point of this grammar debate was because of the lack of clarity in language that was originally posted.

PS - I'm assuming your alternative is supposed to be "Ze."
Key points:

1. You state that English is a fluid language that can change, then demand it doesn't (that is, you reject the singular they), utterly bizarre
2. No, 'e is actually a proposed written neutral pronoun, ze is a different concept
3. There was no assumption, if people are using 'he' in a general sense, they are using it in the general sense
4. You talk about assumptions, but are assuming that anyone using 'he' must be using it to mean only men
5. You reject the idea of a cultural background
6. You don't seem to understand that people are educated different, where I am from, the gender neutral 'he' is actually taught as correct
7. The 'singular they' is actually very old in English, the only reason people avoid using it is because of a bizarre 19th century ideal that sticks around in so called "proper English" (a linguistically outdated concept)
8. I at no point said that people should use 'he' or said anything about it being good, I simply stated that people can use it that way

And hey, who are you to tell me how people normally speak! I am a people, too! Stop trying to enforce your culturally prescribed background on what is lunky (clunky?) and pointless on me!
You seem determined to correct people, then try to go for the opposite, I don't get how you think this makes any sense. Yes, you are a person, but there are others. All I ever said is that people of a different cultural background to you may use 'he' as a gender neutral pronoun. I never said it should be used, only that it can be used, and you have no right to tell them how they can and cannot speak.

It's also worth noting that the point was that 'he/she' was lunky to me, and I would not use it (again, I use the 'singular they'), not that I felt that nobody could use it.

P.S. Lunky and clunky are different words

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
There is actually stunningly little input lag for the mode. That's really quite surprising to be honest. Still annoying, but surprising.

I'm stunned you can get through so many words with so little content.
Hilarious!

1. You state that English is a fluid language that can change, then demand it doesn't (that is, you reject the singular they), utterly bizarre
Of course, I literally don't "demand" this. If you could comprehend what I'm actually writing instead of clearly skimming through in order to write an ineffectual rebuttal, you would have seen this. I even have a note to represent how it's changing. I am, however, accurately representing what people actually teach in actual writing classes. I even pointed how in my previous post how I don't make a value judgment on using it.

2. No, 'e is actually a proposed written neutral pronoun, ze is a different concept
Citation, bro. I literally tried to track this down, because it's something I've never heard of. "Ze" and the related pronouns, of course, are actual things that have been actually used in writing, so the balls in your court.

3. There was no assumption, if people are using 'he' in a general sense, they are using it in the general sense
Yes. This hinges on "if" they are using it that way. Hence why I called it an assumption on your part, homie.

4. You talk about assumptions, but are assuming that anyone using 'he' must be using it to mean only men
In the common vernacular circa 2014, in writing, people using "he" are generally talking about men. Why? Oh, I don't know, because it's discouraged in popular and professional writing and has been for years to the point where most people under 20 get confused when they open a King James Bible (that parts a joke. See, we can laugh about this!)

5. You reject the idea of a cultural background
Where? Quote me saying this. You are literally making this up and it's completely absurd.

6. You don't seem to understand that people are educated different, where I am from, the gender neutral 'he' is actually taught as correct
Where is that, exactly? In most English speaking countries, it's not, or rather not taught as acceptable for professional writing, so I'm legitimately curious.

7. The 'singular they' is actually very old in English, the only reason people avoid using it is because of a bizarre 19th century ideal that sticks around in so called "proper English" (a linguistically outdated concept)
So, which is it? Your original argument was that since "he" has a long history of gender-neutrality, it's good to go. Now, suddenly, "proper English" is linguistically outdated?

8. I at no point said that people should use 'he' or said anything about it being good, I simply stated that people can use it that way
Okay. You understand that that hasn't been the standard in most Western vernaculars - or writing - for years. You were giving the benefit of the doubt to someone who you don't know, about their intentions, which you also don't know. All we have is their writing, which, in this case, I am most likely to be correct about. Unless, English is their second language, and hopefully they now understand how most English speakers now could misconstrue their intended meaning for something else!

You seem determined to correct people, then try to go for the opposite, I don't get how you think this makes any sense. Yes, you are a person, but there are others. All I ever said is that people of a different cultural background to you may use 'he' as a gender neutral pronoun. I never said it should be used, only that it can be used, and you have no right to tell them how they can and cannot speak.
EDIT: I just noticed you are replying to my really over-the-top parody of what you were saying. Sorry, bro...

Anyway, yeah. Nice straw-man fallacy. Where did I tell people how they can and cannot speak? I'm guessing you are literally not understanding what I am writing, or your have some preconceived notion of what I am saying and running from there.

It's also worth noting that the point was that 'he/she' was lunky to me, and I would not use it (again, I use the 'singular they'), not that I felt that nobody could use it.
Cool. I'd actually prefer to use a singular "they," but it doesn't fly in professional or academic writing, so I never get the chance to use it. So, are we on the same page here?

Awesome. Let's shake on it and chill out.

PS. "lunky" is not in any dictionary besides a passing reference to John Updike and some old-timey slang. I'm guessing you meant "clunky", which would make sense in context, but don't want to look like you made a typo. It's cool. Now we can shake on it.

I hate it when I win 7 games in a row against someone in for glory and they win once and leave.
Ohhh, this is good. I can't blame them, they need some shred of dignity. And statistically, in this case, they have a 12.5% chance of actually beating you. Those aren't good odds.

I fought against a dude, and went one-to-one on him before steam-rolling him with Ike for 10 matches. He tried a variety of characters, and finally went back to the Little Mac that he had originally got me on. Needless to say, it didn't quite work, and with his bag of tricks empty, he left.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I tend to start trying different things, and trying to make it obvious if I start getting a run of wins. I managed to get someone to actually start using his down smash to punish rolls, and avoid grabs near the edge doing that, and the games became more enjoyable.

Cool. I'd actually prefer to use a singular "they," but it doesn't fly in professional or academic writing, so I never get the chance to use it. So, are we on the same page here?
I'm an academic, and I use it. If anyone is "correcting" it, they're wrong.

This is not really the place to discuss this in more length. If you really wish to continue (though the entire debate is irrelevant, people can speak and use language as they want, this is actively encouraged in modern linguistics), then you should start a thread in the debates section of the forum, I'd be more than happy to continue later. If you do, send me a PM (linking to the thread) when you do.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I'm an academic, and I use it. If anyone is "correcting" it, they're wrong.
We are in different areas, I'm guessing. So maybe this is me speaking from my particular area, but typically, using "they" in referring to a person muddles things throughout a paper, especially if its getting peer-reviewed or presented. I say this as a guy who has had to proofread his old PI's proposals and papers and got lost in what they (ha!) were going on about past the abstract.

This is not really the place to discuss this in more length. If you really wish to continue (though the entire debate is irrelevant, people can speak and use language as they want, this is actively encouraged in modern linguistics), then you should start a thread in the debates section of the forum, I'd be more than happy to continue later. If you do, send me a PM (linking to the thread) when you do.
I'd say I will, but I'll probably forget to. I'm not really in this that hard, other than to be occasionally snarky, and I am coming from more debate oriented forums, so it's a reflex to jump into a given debate. I'll PM you about the "'e" pronoun, because I am actually interested in that, though. Seriously.

RamenKing1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Samakoph
3DS FC
0688-5616-9231
New online petpeeve (doesn't have to do with gameplay directly): Being matched up against a person outside my nation or person with a "one bar" connection of internet.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Online pet peeve: not being able to play online because I want to finish the game as soon as possible and I'm forced to repeat the same mode 51 times for each mode in order to do it; instead I'd prefer playing online and free for all, but I have not enough time to do everything, so I can't.

Shiny Shovel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shiny-Shovel
3DS FC
0275-9078-8854
I'm feeling the exact same way, isn't it odd? It's so discouraging to get bopped around the stage each match. I usually just try and think about how much more I'll have improved when I hit 200 matches, then 300 etc.

I always do this really annoying thing where I get absolutely down on myself when I fail to do well in the game I'm currently obsessing over. I really wish I wasn't so obsessed with winning; I want to be able to just sit back and enjoy the game win or lose, but I always get so mad at myself. Someone teach me how to not be so uptight please :(
I feel exatcly the same way. Sucks, huh? :/

S.S.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I feel exatcly the same way. Sucks, huh? :/

S.S.
I'd say I had about 100 and something matches played at that point, now I have 600 and I'm still my over-competitive self. Well, I think I'm actually getting better at dealing with my losses (which I have a lot of), but I'm still disappointed with myself when I don't win. I blame Nintendo's Matchmaking system, or lack thereof. Sometimes I think I'm doing great, but it then turns out I was probably getting matched with people who weren't that good.

I suppose it takes a long time to break habits like these :p

SwiftWindStream

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1693-1858-2697
Toonlink's Projectiles
Little Mac's EVERYTHING
Rosalumers
Mega Man Spammers
Zelda's side B spamming

bassnashoe

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5258-1265-5176
Spamming Charizard's Side-B move in FFA. Especially annoying when laggy..which is most of the time.

Last edited:

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one that gets into a match with three Japanese players, and for some reason all they do the entire match is mash the down button. Like they aren't even trying to fight, they are literally standing in one spot and crouching constantly.

Am I missing some sort of injoke?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sometimes online runs fine... sometimes there is a bit of lag... but sometimes the lag is really bad, like one second of lag where my character continues running after I let go of the control stick or my character attacks about one second after I pressed a button. Why is it so random?

b0nkers

Smash Rookie

One way of testing the lag I heard somewhere (probably old news by now but anyway) is to change costumes on the character select screen quickly. If they flicker a lot, you're probably going to have a slideshow.
Haha. Thanks for the tip i will have to try it. What i want to know is why sometimes it lags where its really choppy and slow and sometimes its button input lag. I wonder what causes one over the other

GrandHc

Smash Rookie
When people go into characters they are not actually good or as good with in order to attempt to counter pick.
I play a rush down sheik and only use needles like twice, why do you switch to Mario and spam cape. At times I'll be literally motionless like ._.

Falcon players: I know the point is to be flashy but, the reach on them punches is a bit much. I'm more of a fifth grade textbook (If anyone gets this I love you.)

BNF: whether its me or the opponent, I cringe.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
Players who incorporate a defensive and flee-type fighting style. Stop running away and just fight. Don't make me chase you down. I'm leaving immediately after a match if I see anyone do this.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Poor sports who disconnect when they don't get things their way. Had a guy disconnect at the very end of a match just because he went into Sudden Death with me. Also had another person disconnect after he got KO'd twice.

Minuy600

Smash Apprentice
-LM, ZSS and any char with Counter spammers.
-LAG (except in 1v1)
-The lack of serius competitive players in FG. Of course, this doesn't count in FF.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I think I have a new one: Grabby Megaman.

They are ont necessarily good, it's just... So annoying. They rely almost exclusively on it.
I'm also quite bad a countering grabs, so...

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Another thing that's irritating are players who don't play seriously or just mess around. Even worse if they run away and avoid fighting.

Also, people who self destruct when they start losing. Poor sports aren't fun at all.

Morbi

Scavenger
Poor sports who disconnect when they don't get things their way. Had a guy disconnect at the very end of a match just because he went into Sudden Death with me. Also had another person disconnect after he got KO'd twice.
So he was technically winning by tournament rules, but it went to sudden death where he did not want to deal with an equalized battle that he already won so he quit because he already knew that he won? :troll:

Another thing that's irritating are players who don't play seriously or just mess around. Even worse if they run away and avoid fighting.

Also, people who self destruct when they start losing. Poor sports aren't fun at all.
My pet-peeve is precisely the opposite. I hate it when players are playing too seriously and trying to fight me. I am just trying to have fun hopping around the stage avoiding conflict. Why are they so aggressively violent?

:4jigglypuff:

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I can't stand playing against people who never approach once during the match it is annoying.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
And here i thought i could avoid the gender wars (at the very least) in a videogame forum.
How foolish of me.

Ah well, i will keep using male words as neutral because that´s how i did it my entire life and because that´s how it works in my native language, and if any of the neofemicrazies have a problem with it....well, that´s their problem i guess?

And as a pet peeve, i guess i am a bit saddened at how Super Smash Bros 3D seems to be shifting into Shield Grab Dodge 3DS.
There are way better options than shield grabbing in this game though

Fireriku546

Smash Rookie
Playing against new characters that combo me to death in for glory; it's my first time playing against a good wii fit trainer, cut me some slack! I'm sure I'll learn how to play against them eventually, but for now this is a serious pet peeve of mine.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
When people go into characters they are not actually good or as good with in order to attempt to counter pick.
I play a rush down sheik and only use needles like twice, why do you switch to Mario and spam cape. At times I'll be literally motionless like ._.

Falcon players: I know the point is to be flashy but, the reach on them punches is a bit much. I'm more of a fifth grade textbook (If anyone gets this I love you.)

BNF: whether its me or the opponent, I cringe.
If my opponent catches BNF way too early in the match I SD on purpose to be nice and make it fair. I know some people are against basically doing anything fun or nice in competitive play,but it's just For Glory not a tournament or something. Besides who really cares about other peoples win ratio? My win ratio is probably about 48% which is not really that good,but do I care? No, do you care? Probably not, and if you do you shouldn't. It is not really an online pet peeve in a match since it is outside of a match, but I hate it when people brag about their win ratio as if it actually shows how good you are. For all you know they could only fight against people who are bad at the game.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
quite a few times, I've see complaints of counter spamming... could someone clarify exactly how much would be seen as spamming?

as a Shulk main, I'll use Vision frequently to [predominantly] escape an edgeguard attempt or [sometimes] punish an attack i see coming... as with countering in previous games, they can be baited and grabs null them... so i guess I don't quite understand what the issue is.

Fireriku546

Smash Rookie
If my opponent catches BNF way too early in the match I SD on purpose to be nice and make it fair. I know some people are against basically doing anything fun or nice in competitive play,but it's just For Glory not a tournament or something. Besides who really cares about other peoples win ratio? My win ratio is probably about 48% which is not really that good,but do I care? No, do you care? Probably not, and if you do you shouldn't. It is not really an online pet peeve in a match since it is outside of a match, but I hate it when people brag about their win ratio as if it actually shows how good you are. For all you know they could only fight against people who are bad at the game.
That's what I've wanted to say for a while, as another note I'll safely say that while I'll be concerned about winrate in the Wii-U version once my skills have improved against characters like Rosalina and Yoshi, I won't let it get to me because I know it's not a tournament environment, even in 1 v 1 For Glory.

KILLAKREED

Smash Rookie
NNID
KKREED
3DS FC
0361-8537-0253
lag is a real problem

and i hate people who run out the clock when we're even stock but im ahead on damage so they can get that sudden death (just played a scrub named David who did this)

and the really fast characters who make it really hard to punish their moves with how little ending lag some of them have

KILLAKREED

Smash Rookie
NNID
KKREED
3DS FC
0361-8537-0253
quite a few times, I've see complaints of counter spamming... could someone clarify exactly how much would be seen as spamming?

as a Shulk main, I'll use Vision frequently to [predominantly] escape an edgeguard attempt or [sometimes] punish an attack i see coming... as with countering in previous games, they can be baited and grabs null them... so i guess I don't quite understand what the issue is.
im not sure what the problem is either people just need to not be so quick to attack counter charactersits not that hard to predict

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings

I guess that is fine,but when you fight against more expeireinced players they will just bait you to counter and then punish,so using counter too much is not only annoying for your opponent,but also bad for you since it can easily be used against you. When I use Marth I barely use the counter so that when I do they won't see it coming they get killed (I love how counters were buffed so much in Sm4sh).

Vanillascout

Smash Cadet
Counter not coming out before the hit. Sometimes I even see the stance for 1 frame before just getting launched regardless.

Also, asians. They either lag balls (full second input lag or worse), or play as if winning the match will feed their family for a week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom