• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

online pet peeves

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
All the Yoshi's I've played against wrecks me hard. Damned eggs... damned eggroll... damned multi-hit aerials... :(

Also, Rosalina, Mario, Link, and Duck Hunt Dog. Rosalina because of that stupid moving star. Mario is combo machine, and his projectiles and stupid cape. Most Links/DHDs I meet camp at the edge and spam their stuff. It's really annoying because I've been playing big/heavy characters a lot more recently.

Little Mac was annoying the first few days. Playing against him is a breeze now though... hang around the edge, he dash attacks, you shield, you grab, you throw him off-stage, he tries to recover, you edgeguard him to death. EZPZ

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
People that use Greninja (too fast), Sonic (too fast) and Megaman (super spammy) eww.
SPAMMY? How dare thee insult Megaman!

In all seriousness, as much as I love the little Blue Bomber and his play-style, I have encountered several that spam neutral-B, Side-B, Neutral-B, over and over again.

Pittoo

Smash Rookie
For me it's Toon Links that stick to one side of the screen and rely 90% on projectiles. For some reason I have trouble getting past all of it. Not gonna sit here and say "i nevr win cuz dey spam", I just gotta learn to counter such a tactic. Despite that, it is a little irritating nonetheless.

Also it doesn't help that I have trouble dealing with it when I mainly use characters that have friggin' projectile reflectors, AKA :4pit::4darkpit:and:4falco:. That's like salt in the wound a little bit. ;-;

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
For me it's Toon Links that stick to one side of the screen and rely 90% on projectiles. For some reason I have trouble getting past all of it. Not gonna sit here and say "i nevr win cuz dey spam", I just gotta learn to counter such a tactic. Despite that, it is a little irritating nonetheless.
I know that feel, happened to me once... But that was so frustating. I don't mind zoning, when pulled correctly, it's a good tacting. But cowardly spaming... I was hanging on the edge, and he was just spamming his arrows. FOREVER.

Xerneas

Smash Cadet
Constantly getting the worst partner in team For Glory. I always get teammates with scores in the negatives, while I have 1+ points and usually a higher score than either people on the enemy team. I try my best to help them and keep the enemy team off of them with throws and projectiles and getting in between them so the other team attacks me and I can defend myself and attack back instead of them kill my deadweight, but it just never works out for me. Even if I'm lucky enough to get into a sudden death, my teammate just gets killed instantly and I'm stuck dealing with two people which usually doesn't end well for me

The fact that For Glory doesn't have Battlefield stages. It seems like it would be such an easy thing to add in a patch or something, I really hope they do that eventually. Right now For Glory caters to Little Macs and projectile spammers, and I think most people are getting pretty sick of that

Having someone else pick the same character as me especially if they use the same color too annoys me for some reason

Greninjas.. Not only do I just hate the pokemon in general because I think it's ugly and gross looking and think there were better options for a Gen 6 rep in Smash, but there are so many people who play them and they have a lot of tools in their arsenal that can be hard to deal with. Counters, speed, projectiles, good recovery, teleport, strong aerial and ground attacks, it's ridiculous

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The most annoying things in the online of this game are:

-The lag/delayed controls. It makes dodging and shielding a matter of luck, not timing (also, the delay time changes during the gameplay for me, making timing impossible).

-Campers/constant rolling away and spamming. I haven't found many of them, but I can clearly remember a camper Megaman. I don't have problems with spam (I found a toon link spammer who was very good and I had lot of fun playing against him, even if I lost most of the matches), I have the problem with the fact that if I'm using a slower character, it's hard for me to catch the camper.

-some of the new characters, such as Palutena, Robin and Little Mac. They have some OP moves, they are unfair and unbalanced characters (they have very big weak points and some OP moves). Robin can drain your life to 50% with 1 hit and half, ad most of them have huge attack range and do several consecutive hits so even if you dodge one of them, you will be hit anyway.

-Counters. Most of the post-Brawl characters have them. The counters are unoriginal, and in this game, are overpowered. Also, I have always been against automated moves. The mechanics of the game already give you the potential to perform counters without need of using an automated counter. Dodge, then attack. This applies to Diddy's jump grab and Sheik's B down. Those movements should be up to player's skills and strategy, they shouldn't be made simply pressing a button (And I thought that Falcon's B+up was annoying enough).

-Dedede. Dedede is slow, predictable and has very long lags; despite this, when I play against a Dedede online, most of the time I have not enough time to hit him that he hits me before with his extremely huge attack range. (playing as Kirby).

-Olimar. I just found 2 of them, so I haven't even got enough time to learn their strategy, but both times i got literally OWNED by Olimar. The pikmins do a lot of damage, and even killing them doesn't help; meanwhile I'm killing a pikmin, Olimar can summon a new one before I finish the lag of my smash. I still don't even know how to approach him.
I guess if Olimar is the new Metaknight, or even worse.

Last edited:

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
Greninjas.. Not only do I just hate the pokemon in general because I think it's ugly and gross looking and think there were better options for a Gen 6 rep in Smash, but there are so many people who play them and they have a lot of tools in their arsenal that can be hard to deal with. Counters, speed, projectiles, good recovery, teleport, strong aerial and ground attacks, it's ridiculous
off topic: idk why but this post combined with your avatar and name made me laugh! the irony...

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
Constantly getting the worst partner in team For Glory. I always get teammates with scores in the negatives, while I have 1+ points and usually a higher score than either people on the enemy team. I try my best to help them and keep the enemy team off of them with throws and projectiles and getting in between them so the other team attacks me and I can defend myself and attack back instead of them kill my deadweight, but it just never works out for me. Even if I'm lucky enough to get into a sudden death, my teammate just gets killed instantly and I'm stuck dealing with two people which usually doesn't end well for me

The fact that For Glory doesn't have Battlefield stages. It seems like it would be such an easy thing to add in a patch or something, I really hope they do that eventually. Right now For Glory caters to Little Macs and projectile spammers, and I think most people are getting pretty sick of that

Having someone else pick the same character as me especially if they use the same color too annoys me for some reason

a little off topic, but Greninja was chosen for smash because Sakurai thought it looked cool. Plus the roster was decided before Gen 6 started development. So no, there weren't probably any better reps at the time Sakurai chose Greninja. Plus whats wrong with a bada** ninja frog?

Shog

Smash Ace
off topic: idk why but this post combined with your avatar and name made me laugh! the irony...
I agree, saying Greninja is ugly while having Xerneas, the ugliest deer-like Pokemon in...Pokemon as an avatar is ironic.

My pet peeve is also about the Team Matches for Glory with a bad person as a partner. It is interesting how people **** something up called using KO Punch with Little Mac while I grab the enemy... ... ....

Frank Weast

Smash Cadet
NNID
devilhunterx2
Pet peeves: lag, the occasional input lag, little mac, people choosing your main after you beat their asses sideways

Xman321

Smash Apprentice
SPAMMY? How dare thee insult Megaman!

In all seriousness, as much as I love the little Blue Bomber and his play-style, I have encountered several that spam neutral-B, Side-B, Neutral-B, over and over again.
I might spam at points, though, in those cases (at least in my mind) it's the best move for the situation. It's also not a special move, it's Mega's Side Smash, the charge shot. It's a ranged power shot, thus why I use it often. It's not all I do, though.

A similar thing happens when I play as Dark Pit, I use his Side B quite a bit, mainly because it has good launch power almost all the time, and it's a pretty good move in general. (It reflects Projectiles!)

My Pet Peeves are usually lag, and not being able to hit people (Though that's usually my fault)

Also, I once fought someone who was Pacman, and he used his Down B...a lot. It worked for a while, then I remembered there was a block button. Even then, it was hard to hit him, as he used the Fire Hydrant, then hid behind it. We had a good match, to be fair, and I only really won because he failed to recover at one point.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
what are your pet peeves when it comes to fighting online

mine?
little mac users
spamming weak *** moves
rosalina's luma
facing someone who thinks using the same character as me will help them win(when they clearly suck with them)
Little Mac users are easily the worst for me. What bothers me about him is that so many people use him and I have not really learned how to deal with them effectively unless I'm using Ness where all I need to do is PK fire, down throw, forward air,wait til they come back PK fire, back air, and then they can't get back on the stage most of the time and i use PK flash to edge guard in case they are able to get back.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
-Rosalina&Luma players
-Noob macs (even though sonic seems to be a perfect counter with a back throw off stage)
-Charizards that spam side special
-SHIEK PLAYERS!! AHH
-People that think playing your character after losing ten time in a row will help

Other than that, I have seemed to maintain a 61% win 1 on 1 with Sonic :)
Ness seems like a perfect counter for Little Mac from my experience. For me the Charizard players that spam side-b are annoying,but they always bring their % really high and then I can kill them so easily, or they end up SDing from using side-b.

Xerneas

Smash Cadet
Off topic but I guess I have to explain myself
I don't get why, I can like one pokemon and not like another. If you mean because you think Xerneas looks bad but Greninja doesn't, well, that's subjective. A lot of people like Xerneas and a lot of people like Greninja, but some don't. I do like Yveltal better after playing the games though, but I made this account before that

a little off topic, but Greninja was chosen for smash because Sakurai thought it looked cool. Plus the roster was decided before Gen 6 started development. So no, there weren't probably any better reps at the time Sakurai chose Greninja. Plus whats wrong with a bada** ninja frog?
I guess I didn't think of that, but still I think Sylveon would have been the best choice for a gen 6 rep because it's the posterchild for the new fairy type, has been very popular ever since it was released, and Jigglypuff's moveset wasn't hanged to represent fairy moves, not even with custom moves. Delphox could have made a cool fighter too, since before Smash 4 there weren't a lot of magic users but we already had a few speedy characters with similar qualities as Greninja (Shiek, Fox, Falco.) Charizard being playable over Blastoise and Venusaur and their pre evolutions makes sense because because Charizard has been around for a long time and over time has become much more popular than the other two. The gen 6 starters are all on a pretty equal level though, and I just don't like how one was chosen over the other, especially because it's my least favorite of the three. A Kalos Pokemon Trainer using all three starters would have been cool I think, as long as it was refined from Brawl's Pokemon Trainer which was a good idea but wasn't very good as it was.

I'm just sick of almost every frog/toad Pokemon being another fighting type or easily being able to fit as a fighting type. Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Toxicroak, Croagunk, Seismitoad, now Greninja, the only one that wouldn't fit as a fighting type is Politoed. It just seems like a broken record at this point, it's boring for every frog Pokemon to be physical. Why not have a ghost frog or fire frog or just any kind of frog that isn't brutish or fights with it's fists or weapons or whatever. Plus I just hate it's design, it looks nothing like Froakie or Frogadier and the tongue scarf is disgusting to me. The design would have been improved by 100000% to me if Greninja kept the bubble scarf it's pre evolutions had. No, I don't like Lickitung or Lickilicky either

I agree, saying Greninja is ugly while having Xerneas, the ugliest deer-like Pokemon in...Pokemon as an avatar is ironic.
I don't know how anyone could think Xerneas looks worse than Stantler, with a coconut for a mouth, saggy cheeks, and a beach ball for a tail, but whatever. I like Xerneas and not Greninja, sorry you don't agree

I'm allowed to not like a certain pokemon and like another one. I can live with not liking one character out of 49 in Smash, it was just a little pet peeve

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452

I don't get why, I can like one pokemon and not like another. If you mean because you think Xerneas looks bad but Greninja doesn't, well, that's subjective. A lot of people like Xerneas and a lot of people like Greninja, but some don't. I do like Yveltal better after playing the games though, but I made this account before that

I guess I didn't think of that, but still I think Sylveon would have been the best choice for a gen 6 rep because it's the posterchild for the new fairy type, has been very popular ever since it was released, and Jigglypuff's moveset wasn't hanged to represent fairy moves, not even with custom moves. Delphox could have made a cool fighter too, since before Smash 4 there weren't a lot of magic users but we already had a few speedy characters with similar qualities as Greninja (Shiek, Fox, Falco.) Charizard being playable over Blastoise and Venusaur and their pre evolutions makes sense because because Charizard has been around for a long time and over time has become much more popular than the other two. The gen 6 starters are all on a pretty equal level though, and I just don't like how one was chosen over the other, especially because it's my least favorite of the three. A Kalos Pokemon Trainer using all three starters would have been cool I think, as long as it was refined from Brawl's Pokemon Trainer which was a good idea but wasn't very good as it was.

I'm just sick of almost every frog/toad Pokemon being another fighting type or easily being able to fit as a fighting type. Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Toxicroak, Croagunk, Seismitoad, now Greninja, the only one that wouldn't fit as a fighting type is Politoed. It just seems like a broken record at this point, it's boring for every frog Pokemon to be physical. Why not have a ghost frog or fire frog or just any kind of frog that isn't brutish or fights with it's fists or weapons or whatever. Plus I just hate it's design, it looks nothing like Froakie or Frogadier and the tongue scarf is disgusting to me. The design would have been improved by 100000% to me if Greninja kept the bubble scarf it's pre evolutions had. No, I don't like Lickitung or Lickilicky either

I don't know how anyone could think Xerneas looks worse than Stantler, with a coconut for a mouth, saggy cheeks, and a beach ball for a tail, but whatever. I like Xerneas and not Greninja, sorry you don't agree

I'm allowed to not like a certain pokemon and like another one. I can live with not liking one character out of 49 in Smash, it was just a little pet peeve
We really don't need a duck-hunt dog clone in the form of Sylveon already. Plus we already do have a fairy-type in the game. Its name is "Jigglypuff." Another thing, Greninja is a Water-Dark type. Not a fighting type.

Last edited:

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice

it wasnt a diss torwards xerneas (proud X owner here). i just found it funny cuz its like Xerneas is log in to a blog saying greninja shouldnt be in. idk i guess i just found it funny......LOL

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
We really don't need a duck-hunt dog clone in the form of Sylveon already. Plus we already do have a fairy-type in the game. Its name is "Jigglypuff."
I doubt that Sylveon would summon explosive cans or gunmen, nor having a psyduck on his back :troll:

Plus, Duck Hunt Duo is not the first fully quadripedal character in smash.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I doubt that Sylveon would summon explosive cans or gunmen, nor having a psyduck on his back :troll:

Plus, Duck Hunt Duo is not the first fully quadripedal character in smash.
But Sylveon is Dog-like. but my point of Jigglypuff being the fairy rep for gen 6 stands.

Xerneas

Smash Cadet
We really don't need a duck-hunt dog clone in the form of Sylveon already. Plus we already do have a fairy-type in the game. Its name is "Jigglypuff."
"..Sylveon would have been the best choice for a gen 6 rep because it's the posterchild for the new fairy type, has been very popular ever since it was released, and Jigglypuff's moveset wasn't changed to represent fairy moves, not even with custom moves" Jigglypuff might as well still be a normal type, if you didn't know it was retyped as fairy you'd never realize it was from Smash. It might be fairy type now but it isn't representing it, and as the newest pokemon type and first new type added since the second gen it should have, or at least I think it should have, some representation other than a pokeball pokemon. I'd rather have a Duck Hunt clone than a Sheik clone like Greninja, not that I see how Sylveon would be a clone of anyone. Just because it's dog-like doesn't mean it's moveset would be anywhere close to DH's

But this is getting really off topic, I've explained myself and don't want to get a warning for posting too many off topic things

DadPalindrome

Smash Cadet
NNID
DadPalindrome
3DS FC
3780-9241-3996
Getting completely lag free matches against "はると" and "ゆと", and then getting a slide show against "Brad" and "Chris".
Seriously, get better internet or don't play online, lag doesn't make the game fun for anyone. Even worse, I know these are the dorks complaining that every match they have is full of lag, and the online sucks because of Sakurai, not their crap internet.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I swear "Chris" and "Alex" are the two most common names online :bee:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I think I have the most pointless complaint ever but...

Lucina players. There's other colors besides Tharja's color scheme. :p

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I think I have the most pointless complaint ever but...

Lucina players. There's other colors besides Tharja's color scheme.
that just happens to be my favourite, even though I don't like Tharja in Awakening :p I tend to go for predominantly black costumes for most characters.
I got Tharja!Lucina dittos once, the other guy walked straight off the stage

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
that just happens to be my favourite, even though I don't like Tharja in Awakening :p I tend to go for predominantly black costumes for most characters.
Should have added a smiley.

But it's kinda crazy that every Lucina's I've seen have this color scheme. And I've seen a lot of Lucina.
Every other characters with black colors? Diversity. Lucina? THARJA ALL THE WAY.

I do love this color myself, (although I prefer Lissa and Nowi's one) but... Yeah, that's just crazy! :p

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
But it's kinda crazy that every Lucina's I've seen have this color scheme. And I've seen a lot of Lucina.
Every other characters with black colors? Diversity. Lucina? THARJA ALL THE WAY.
I've only seen one other Tharja!Lucina, all the others have been Lissa all day every day. Though I haven't seen many other Lucinas in general. I've actually had a fairly good mix, aside from the obligatory Mac glut.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I've only seen one other Tharja!Lucina, all the others have been Lissa all day every day. Though I haven't seen many other Lucinas in general. I've actually had a fairly good mix, aside from the obligatory Mac glut.
I usually see the Chereche color.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well that's quite funny, as I use mostly Lissa's color... The joys of parralel worlds, maybe? :awesome:

But yeah, online have quite a good mix, although the cool/strong characters tends to appear more. I have not fought a Wii Fit Trainer yet, and I see few Villagers, G&W... But you can expect Greninja and Little Mac easily!

Edit: That's funny how every experiences about Lucina's colors are differents.

Last edited:

Matoi Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
katarina-hatsune
3DS FC
5215-0514-7118
The input lag seems to be completely awful for me when I play online. But then, I'm an Aussie playing against people in Japan and America, so that may be where the input lag is coming from.

D

Deleted member

Yesterday I encountered a pretty bad Ike player. At one point in the match, and I'm not joking, he was spamming Counter. I didn't even attack him at all and he was just spamming Counter while I was standing there. When he dropped his guard, I used Luigi's Super Jump Punch and killed him.
It's funny to see some people be over-reliant on one single move.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
When the enemy consists of twin little macs or twin greninjas or twin Rosalinas and they know how to use them.
It makes you want to throw your 3DS against the wall out of how unfair it feels.

Last edited:

Vanillascout

Smash Cadet
Projectile spammers. I'm not talking about the scrubs who only use projectiles and rolls, or the players who will seriously fight me and use projectiles when given the opportunity.

I'm talking about the assholes who undeniably outclass me in every way up close, who could just 0-death string both my stocks in the first 20 seconds of the match... AND THEY KNOW IT TOO.... Yet they insist on stalling the match for 4 minutes just running away and spamming projectiles, and THEN they 0-death string my ****, in the last 1-2 minutes.

Yes, because only males play Super Smash Bros.
And right there is my single biggest "online pet peeve" outside of ssb. Your behavior.

Pretty much every time you see someone using a gender pronoun you deem incorrect, you snap and start lecturing them. I suggest you seek help, you may have some kind of disorder (because if you'd have any half-decent sense of logic, you'd know you can't force the entire world (or even a single person in the first place) to use the pronouns you deem acceptable).

It doesn't seem like a lot of people here can be bothered to give half a damn about gender pronouns, and attempting to lecture them on the matter just comes across as obnoxious.
Keep the "everyone has to be 100% politically correct in every single thing they say" mentality to yourself. You be you, let the rest of us be the rest of us.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I don't quite get people taunting after a suicide death from a mistake. What's funny though is the number who will do it when you're already in the process of respawning, giving the easiest of easy stocks.

Yes, because only males play Super Smash Bros.
I don't get your obsession with this. 'He'/'him' can be used as a gender neutral pronoun in the case of an unknown gender in English. It is taught this way to many people, and "proper English" (which I disagree with the concept of to be honest) holds that the "singular they" is incorrect in all circumstances.

Personally I prefer the "singular they" and use it frequently, but there is nothing wrong with people using 'he'/'him' as a gender neutral pronoun. The sexist one here is you for assuming that 'he'/'him means only males, and ultimately speaks to your lack of understanding of the depth of English.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
My biggest pet peeve would be lag. More specifically, lag that seems to only kick in when I am establishing momentum. I played against a Sonic earlier, and roughly every time I had a button input, the game would become a slideshow. When he attacked, it was suddenly "lol 60fps." I literally lol'd as it seemed like every person whining about lag that I have played with since Doom suddenly got validated in my brain.

Also, people - "he" is specifically referring to males. Just because we culturally default to "he/him" in describing people of unknown gender doesn't mean it suddenly becomes some deepity English pronoun. Using "them/their/they" to identify a singular person is also incorrect technically, but hey, so is using "he/him" as a gender inclusive pronoun.

Fortunately, English gives us a nice work-around: "he or she," and "him or her." You're welcome.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Lag does get annoying sometimes, but sadly it's part of the online experience still.

I don't know, the only thing that really annoys me beyond that is people who insist on taunting after a suicide, even when they are doing it as I've already respawned. If people do it in a dangerous position, I will punish it, but it just seems bad taste to do it on an opponents mistake.

Also, people - "he" is specifically referring to males. Just because we culturally default to "he/him" in describing people of unknown gender doesn't mean it suddenly becomes some deepity English pronoun. Using "them/their/they" to identify a singular person is also incorrect technically, but hey, so is using "he/him" as a gender inclusive pronoun.

Fortunately, English gives us a nice work-around: "he or she," and "him or her." You're welcome.
Categorically false. 'He' was taught as a gender-neutral pronoun for an extremely long time. Your suggestion for an alternative is also lunky and pointless, and beyond the realms of how people normally speak. Just because you don't understand people's culturally backgrounds doesn't mean you are allowed to enforce your own.

Also, the 'singular they' is actually a standard part of English, despite how many try to teach "proper English". Culturally some people don't like using it, but it's most certainly not wrong to use, and I in fact prefer it.

There are plenty of different alternatives people have tried, one of the most usable in writing is " 'e ", but ultimately changing how people speak and write is completely pointless when they are meaning 'he' in terms of the gender neutral form (as many standard education systems teach, and many people naturally use). Don't force your own views on the use of language on other people, they can say it how they like as long as they're understood.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Categorically false. 'He' was taught as a gender-neutral pronoun for an extremely long time.
Indeed. Of course, we don't live in the 1700's (or the 1960's). We also don't use "thee" and "thou," anymore, so appealing to traditionally usages of a word in one of the more fluid languages on the planet is pretty silly. It's not as if that usage wasn't also recognized to have short-comings, both culturally and technically, hence why it fell out of favor. It was also taught because, hey, the dominant cultures of the day were strongly patriarchal and men were the default people folk.

It's amazing how things change!

Your suggestion for an alternative is also lunky and pointless, and beyond the realms of how people normally speak. Just because you don't understand people's culturally backgrounds doesn't mean you are allowed to enforce your own.
Yes, please take a clearly flippant statement and try and twist it into some kind of message board imperialist screed. Ironic that you presume how people "normally" speak, and then accuse me of "enforcing" my cultural background. What is my cultural background by the way? You, of course, are making broad guesses to justify your weird rant, so keep on keeping on.

And hey, who are you to tell me how people normally speak! I am a people, too! Stop trying to enforce your culturally prescribed background on what is lunky (clunky?) and pointless on me!

Also, the 'singular they' is actually a standard part of English, despite how many try to teach "proper English". Culturally some people don't like using it, but it's most certainly not wrong to use, and I in fact prefer it.
You are contradicting yourself. The singular "they" is a part of colloquial English but is not technically correct (note - actually, that's in contention, as its use is not quite widely accepted, but it is gaining ground, and will probably end up being the defacto gender neutral stand-in, eventually). Yet, somehow you can denigrate "proper English" here, while simultaneously making an appeal to an even older, outdated "proper English" to bolster your initial point.

Coincidentally, I never said it was "wrong" to use, but rather "technically incorrect" - which it is actually taught as. Hence why I followed up that statement with a joke about people (in this very thread!) using "he" to apparently refer to multiple genders.

There are plenty of different alternatives people have tried, one of the most usable in writing is " 'e ", but ultimately changing how people speak and write is completely pointless when they are meaning 'he' in terms of the gender neutral form (as many standard education systems teach, and many people naturally use). Don't force your own views on the use of language on other people, they can say it how they like as long as they're understood.
"He" as a gender inclusive pronoun fell out of favor literally decades ago. Please explain how you know that people mean "he" in the gender-inclusive form, which hasn't really even been taught - other than a grammatical aside - since before most of the posters here (including myself) were born? Can you give some examples from these standard education systems? I'm curious because, by golly, I've been through quite a bit of the whole school deal, and most all of the current literature I read sure does avoid using the whole "he as a gender neutral" thing.

Anyway, the whole point of this grammar debate was because of the lack of clarity in language that was originally posted.

PS - I'm assuming your alternative is supposed to be "Ze."

Top Bottom