• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online- Nintendo isn't taking baby steps.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Well, I understand the annoyance of having to look up and input each other codes. But really it's because you know other systems implemented in all those options and make it easier for you to find and keep players on a which makes Nintendo's choice annoying.

Nintendo is the last one to have online mode and the one with the least online options... I guess it comes down to the rule-of-thumbs like with all nice things. It would just be better if there were more options.

It's best to just compare what Nintendo has now with what Nintendo has before.

I personally respect Nintendo's decision. The "extra effort" to find players and make a list will naturally filter out bad players.

Nintendo can also just throw in that "Rival" option. After quitting you can request certain players to be your rivals. If they accept you can send an invite if you see them on.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
Nobody here should be complaining about the random match ups anyways. We all post on Smash Boards, it's not like its going to be hard to find good online competition when you know everyone and their mother's going to have their sigs full of Friend Codes 2 months from now.

The random match ups is basically just for friendless 7 year old kids.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Well, I understand the annoyance of having to look up and input each other codes. But really it's because you know other systems implemented in all those options and make it easier for you to find and keep players on a which makes Nintendo's choice annoying.

Nintendo is the last one to have online mode and the one with the least online options... I guess it comes down to the rule-of-thumbs like with all nice things. It would just be better if there were more options.

It's best to just compare what Nintendo has now with what Nintendo has before.

I personally respect Nintendo's decision. The "extra effort" to find players and make a list will naturally filter out bad players.

Nintendo can also just throw in that "Rival" option. After quitting you can request certain players to be your rivals. If they accept you can send an invite if you see them on.
Agreed in full. People need to add people to their lists and quit their blubbering, and rivals would be nice, but not entirely necessary since I'll be playing with my good friends here at SWF.

DarkWolf123

Smash Apprentice
I think nintendo's wifi will be alot different in the up coming games, like medel of honor heros 2 is going to have up to 32 players at a time rather than 4... so it seems they are really going to start improving

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I point to today's update to illustrate the fact that some of their updates are in response to the general feelings of these forums. A whole bunch of shield threads pop up, and then what's todays update? Shields.

I'm just waiting for air-dodging to go up, and them to give an official name to wavedashing.
Wave-dashing hasn't been mentioned yet... still convinced they read our forums to dictate what they post? I guess Mega Man should have been posted soon. How about instead of worrying about trying to tell Mr. Sakurai what to update, we focus on working with what we already know.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I think nintendo's wifi will be alot different in the up coming games, like medel of honor heros 2 is going to have up to 32 players at a time rather than 4... so it seems they are really going to start improving

Medal of Honor is also a war game, and war games usually involve a few more than 4 people lol. The fact that they are making Brawl's smaller details integrate so well into the online, shows that maybe we are succeeding. Can you say, Break the Targets online competitions? I understand that Smash 64 had a group of people competing for the top times. It could end up being like a cult following, this homerun contest.

Oh, and as for wavedashing, Gimpyfish is going to E for All, he is going to test out wavedashing for us so we'll know before friday I wager.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Good thing about the delay, is I basically got a D in physics, so now it comes out after the semester is done, so I can get my grades back up, and get in the good graces of my parents. Other wise I would've probably missed out on playing online and such.

EDIT: Hey chill out. It is really pessimistic, and unrealistic, but it's still his oppinion. Let it be.

GreatClayMonkey

Smash Lord
Rigging the enemy base with explosives, which is l
Good thing about the delay, is I basically got a D in physics, so now it comes out after the semester is done, so I can get my grades back up, and get in the good graces of my parents. Other wise I would've probably missed out on playing online and such.

EDIT: Hey chill out. It is really pessimistic, and unrealistic, but it's still his oppinion. Let it be.
if your talking to me then sorry if I seem angry but im not doing anything but giving my opinion. I just dont think people should complain about something thats not even a problem. I apoligize if I seemed rude of pushy.

Jammer

Smash Lord
To me, the "With Anyone" mode is like playing against CPUs, except they are actually people someone controlling them. I'll use "With Anyone" all the time to practice, like I use the level 1 CPUs. This mode fits perfectly for the function I will use it for.

The "With Friends" mode is what I'll use when I would normally be playing with one of my friends. Except now I can do that much more easily (no driving, etc.). It's not perfect, but it'll do.

I guess the perfect "With Friends" mode would have voice chat and have the controls work as if your friend's controller was plugged into your Wii. That means going through the menus with your friend, seeing your friend select his or her character (even seeing his or her cursor move around), etc. I don't foresee any problems in implementing that, except if voice chat isn't supported. Then I guess you'd have to use a phone.

You'd start something called a "Friend Session" or something with a friend, and your Wiis would link up and act like one. Other friends could enter and leave the session as they please.

It would be like having your friend or friends sitting next to you on the couch.

Man, I want that now.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I also like to add that I like the idea of no rankings. It discourages disconnecters and the eases the thought your of ranking if you play a hacker and want to disconnect. This plagues some DS games and from what read Mario Strikers Charged too.
Yeah, people do disconnect on strikers because they're losing. Hopefully if a player disconnects in Brawl, when more than 2 people are playing the game doesn't just drop everyone. Even if Brawl is just as basic as Mario Strikers Charged online... it will be enough.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Has a Wii AR been released? I think the closest to hacking online is that thing where you can purposely stall out the connection. Play with anyone will just be like training with a computer, only more realistic. Real play will be done through a SWF sponsored ladder system anyways.

~Onslaught~

Smash Cadet
The only really does suck....they better upgrade ie because i wanna play the best from every country....what makes brawls online worse is there is NO HEADSET

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Who cares about the headset anyways, I hated playing halo and getting these whiny little 12 year olds screaming when I kill them. It would make the game no better than anything Microsoft could concoct. And so you'll have to do your trash talknig through an alternative program like we do for Mario Strikers Charged, and you'll have to organize your matches with people here. Get over it lol.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I stand by them for it. There are ways to voice chat with someone you know as long as you have a mic. For free too. It's better to beat people quietly, and dignified too. Let your play do the talking.

Jammer

Smash Lord
I'd definitely want voice chat over no voice chat. Especially for friend matches. To me, beating people quietly is not "dignified". It's a lot more boring than beating them with a small amount of trash talk, or even a nice conversation.

I would use the "With Friends" mode almost all the time if I could have conversations with my friends while playing. It wouldn't be nearly as good if you couldn't talk with them, at least to me.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Or someone could host a ventrilo server for the whole community. That'd work a lot better; Log on, ask to whoever is in the main lobby if anyone wants to duke it out, get your own private room and yatta!

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I stand by them for it. There are ways to voice chat with someone you know as long as you have a mic. For free too. It's better to beat people quietly, and dignified too. Let your play do the talking.
I agree with you. You guys can say what you want, but I think voice chat is not necessary for Brawl. I don't want something like that ruining my online experience.

I'd definitely want voice chat over no voice chat. Especially for friend matches. To me, beating people quietly is not "dignified". It's a lot more boring than beating them with a small amount of trash talk, or even a nice conversation.

I would use the "With Friends" mode almost all the time if I could have conversations with my friends while playing. It wouldn't be nearly as good if you couldn't talk with them, at least to me.
There are plenty of ways to still do voice chat with friends... as others have said... use AIM for crying out loud.

piffman2

Smash Apprentice
I just I could see the names of the random people I was playing, that doesn't seem like to much to ask

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Doesn't seem like much you would need though. When it gets down to it. Random matches are like better training than computers. Essentially, they are computers, except as advanced techniques develope, you'll get better test dummies. Real Brawl will be played through SWF. I guarantee any important matches will be organize here. We still have yet to see what else will be online. After online HRC, anything could happen. Theres alot of speculation about whether or not the blurred option in snapshots will be like a daily contest kind of thing, maybe there is more to come. I'm not preaching the more time = more features t hing, because I know thats not how it works, but if they were rushing to meet the Dec 3 launch date, and maybe didn't fully develope an idea or two, or just cut something in the interest of focusing on another feature due to time constraints, theres a possibility that if it isn't a major overhaul, additions can be made to the online. Nothing on dojo is really final as far as the menus go. Heck, the games release wasn't even final 0.o

Top Bottom