• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Mode Confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

THEmSHAKE

Smash Apprentice
YES!!!!! YES!!! MY clan can exist! YES! :) YES! :) YES! :) BTW, sucks there is no ranking system, but hey, I'll face anyone of you, and look forward to it! Finally online smash [next to kaillera]. :) Voice would be nice however, but I see it like MP Hunters, where it's only on before and after matches! :
Dont give up hope, prettymanfairy is correct in that it was mentioned that there would be other wifi services.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Did anybody else notice that we can us at least 5 letters in our names now?

I bet in random matches you have to play with the default rules(which would mean time matches, no stock), and with friends you can play by custom rules.

I remember talking about how awesome it would be to play Smash online back in 10th grade. It was worth waiting 6 years for.

Mikagami

Smash Rookie
There SHOULD be a lobby where you sit and discuss the match settings with VOICE CHAT. I really hate nintendo for being so blind with online.
No thanks, having 10-year olds curse you out when you beat them is not my cup of tea. There's several websites out there just for friend code swapping, and I'm sure these boards will allow it as well.

lampiaio

Smash Cadet
NNID
jp_lampi
Sakurai said:
We’re planning a number of services that make use of Wi-Fi, but we’ll reveal them gradually with the other modes. Enjoy.
This made me think... will there be a global hi-score list for modes like "Break the Targets" / "Home Run Contest" / etc.?

Imagine yourself hearing "IT'S A NEW WORLD RECORD!!"

aran_fusion

Smash Cadet
Wait I just noticed.

Wii codes are 4 sets of 4 numbers.

The ones in the screenshots there are 3 sets of 4 numbers. Is there a difference?

Lith17

Smash Rookie
Wow the pecentage thing looks like it gets in the way
First of all, HELL YEAH, online is confirmed. That is great freakin' news. I was actually worried their for a bit.

And yes, Zigo, that looks like an opstical. Hopefully there's some way to control character emblems. But have you noticed that it looks like the went with the original style of emblems they had in ssb?

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
I really hate the idea of friend codes, and I dislike the idea of not being able to use your names and messages in a match with strangers. Lame, lame, lame.

But otherwise, it's good to hear Wi-Fi confirmed, finally.

Mikagami

Smash Rookie
Ok, so what does that mean? Brawl will have its own seperate friend codes?
Yes, rather than having to add someone on the actual console, you will add them via the 12-digit FC the game assigns them. Mario Strikers works the same way. :)

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
Wait I just noticed.

Wii codes are 4 sets of 4 numbers.

The ones in the screenshots there are 3 sets of 4 numbers. Is there a difference?
yeah...i noticed that too. and it says "Friend Code." i'm guessing that Friend Codes are seperate from Wii Numbers. that's kinda lame.

but on the other hand, you only have to enter the number in once.

D1

Banned via Administration
waste of an update imo...I knew it was gonna be online regardless >_>; If anything...this confirms that we're still doomed in terms of having to resort to taking down and exchanging FCs *sigh*. I hope the best for online multiplayer or I'll quit smash *f_ck* balance gimme a fun online multiplayer mode.

*leaves*

BudDudandSlash

Smash Apprentice
The day the Smash community tripled in size.

Keep in mind, online tournaments can now be held through message boards and the like.

SGX

Smash Journeyman
you can't "patch" latency over long distance.

Unless of course you want to patch how the entire internet works.

aran_fusion

Smash Cadet
Yes, rather than having to add someone on the actual console, you will add them via the 12-digit FC the game assigns them. Mario Strikers works the same way. :)
Great, more dorky numbers to add. So, how are we supposed to find these people to add?

Nintendo expects us to find people online dont they?

This could of been remedied with a lobby.

If you cant tell, I'm very bitter at Nintendo for dropping the ball on this.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
it would have been nice if they did it the way they did in Metroid Prime 3. you just click "Configure WiiConnect24" and it automatically enables you to send data to people already registered as Wii Friends.

SOJ

Smash Journeyman
LOL at people ALREADY complaining. Seriously, some people are never satisfied.
Lol yeah that's very messed up. Wi-fi is a major part in this game, and just because you can't get all your features x-box can give you doesn't take away from the amazingness Brawl offers. I just graduated high school and all my friends left off to different colleges, although they sometimes come back on weekends to smash, but it's not that often. Brawl gives us smash with anyone, anywhere (although that's a bit limited), ANY TIME. That's something to be amazed at, not "OMG WHO IS THE BEST SMASHER?! I MUST BEAT HIM/HER! AND BE THE GREATEST!"

Smash. At. Any. Given. Time. With. Anyone.

For most people like me, smash is limited to your specific area if you don't have many means of traveling to smash with different people. Brawl will break these restrictions.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
my only question is will you be able to play online with more than one player from one Wii??

meaning can me can my roomate go online from our Wii and find two other people to play with??

I think it would be really fun to do 2v2 matches like that

SGX

Smash Journeyman
my only question is will you be able to play online with more than one player from one Wii??

meaning can me an my roomate go online from our Wii and find two other people to play with??

I think it would be really fun to do 2v2 matches like that
I just said the same exact thing in another thread, lol.

I second this, as it would be quite awesome.

Dojo999

Smash Journeyman

Gaze upon my chosen tool,
and know that it will be the weapon of your undoing

CAUSE IM GONNA PWN ALL OF U ONLINE WITH MY SICK NEW WIRELESS CLASSIC CONTROLLER.
(PICTURE COURTESY OF IGN)

aran_fusion

Smash Cadet
Also notice how the only character icons are characters already revealed... I really hope that isnt the whole roster.

RiptheReaper

Smash Apprentice
for everyone here,some sort of ranking system will exist-i just know dont ask i wont talk anymore-thats it

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
As minor a detail as it is, the sound of the "four messages for 4 directions on the d-pad" makes me assume that now ANY direction on the d-pad will make the character taunt. This could give characters multiple taunts in that regard.

As I said, small detail, but just thought I'd throw that out.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Biggest sigh of relief ever! Now, we shall all enjoy getting destroyed by 12 year olds from around the world.
No, I'm going to make little 12 year olds cry when I beat them worldwide! :)

agreed, and he did say there would be more modes that use wifi
And smash without a 1 vs. 1 option online is dumb. So it's basically confirmed. Not having 1 on 1's smash online is dead to me! :laugh:

the first player probably picks the settings. we just can't tell from that picture because the match has already been set.
Ya, like Halo, Counter-Strike, and all the other internet games out there. That's how it wil work, and there will probably be custom game settings, to where you join a game on the map, settings, and features of your choosing! [items: off...except the bumper! :)]

Dont give up hope, prettymanfairy is correct in that it was mentioned that there would be other wifi services.
Ya, just realized that. Maybe it's a alternate mode or something, like 1 vs. 1, and free for alls [sorta]. :)

Florida

イーグランツ
As minor a detail as it is, the sound of the "four messages for 4 directions on the d-pad" makes me assume that now ANY direction on the d-pad will make the character taunt. This could give characters multiple taunts in that regard.

As I said, small detail, but just thought I'd throw that out.
I'd rather not, but for a humorous reason.
Wouldn't it just be awesome to post a message like "SHFFL TIME", while in the middle of actually performing a shffl? IDK, seems funny to me.

Sidius

Smash Journeyman
GREATEST UPDATE EVER!!!.....hmm...i wonder if there will be a difference between connected and wifi connection =/

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
Forgive me for the double post, but a quick point on ranking system:

Ranking systems are terrible. Having partaken of them in numerous other games, the only thing they show are the people with far too much time on their hands. Half the time, the best players don't even break the top ten, because frankly the best players wouldn't be wasting their time on ranked wifi all day. If anything, they'll be using the friend battles to fight with their own crewmates or other smash friends.

At the same time, some middle school kid with a lot of time and no friends can just be sitting online, beating whatever newbies show up and disconnecting when they're about to lose.

So, to reiterate, ranking is a waste of space. I don't doubt that they'll probably put one in anyways, in one form or another, but to think you'll find many people who are actually really good is a bit of a push. The people on the top ten usually aren't BAD, persay, but it's almost certain that they're not close to being the best. They just have the most time to kill.

On an off-topic, finally Bowser will be able to represent on a global scale.

Leto

Smash Rookie
I don't know if anyone's thought of this yet, but you could use taunt messages to let other people know who you are in the random matches.

Ideally there'd be some kind of etiquette where everyone taunts once before you fight, but I see that being pretty unlikely. Of course you can always let them know who you are after sending them flying off the stage :)

Junpappy

Smash Lord
...*sigh* if only they had super fast and super cheap internet in America like they do in Japan :ohwell:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom