• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Mode Confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if anyone's thought of this yet, but you could use taunt messages to let other people know who you are in the random matches.

Ideally there'd be some kind of etiquette where everyone taunts once before you fight, but I see that being pretty unlikely. Of course you can always let them know who you are after sending them flying off the stage :)
Taunts are disabled in random matches.

THEmSHAKE

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if anyone's thought of this yet, but you could use taunt messages to let other people know who you are in the random matches.

Ideally there'd be some kind of etiquette where everyone taunts once before you fight, but I see that being pretty unlikely. Of course you can always let them know who you are after sending them flying off the stage :)
I think it was stated that you can only do that in friend matches.

Eagle

Smash Lord
Also notice how the only character icons are characters already revealed... I really hope that isnt the whole roster.
Well there is a scrollog in the screenie.

Maybe you can arrange the icons and they put all the unconfirmed characters down there to save them for later ;)

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
I personally don't care about some sort of "Ranking" system, but not even keeping records on the "With Anyone" mode is disappointing. I mean, EVERY Nintendo WiFi Connection game that I know of keeps track of the win-loss record. I'd personally like to know how many random people I've won or lost against.

As usual, you need a friend code to FULLY use the online mode. That is the one thing that annoys me about Nintendo's online strategy. I wouldn't care about having a friend code for every game as long as I can do whatever with random people as I can with my friends... And what happened to that "Rival" system that was in Metroid Prime Hunters? It would work PERFECTLY for this game. Let's hope they add that.

aran_fusion

Smash Cadet
As usual, you need a friend code to FULLY use the online mode. That is the one thing that annoys me about Nintendo's online strategy. I wouldn't care about having a friend code for every game as long as I can do whatever with random people as I can with my friends... And what happened to that "Rival" system that was in Metroid Prime Hunters? It would work PERFECTLY for this game. Let's hope they add that.
This guy sums up what is on my mind pretty simply.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Holy crap this was one of the most disappointing updates I've ever seen. Then again, I didn't expect them to be any good with online mode. I've always expected an online mode, but at the same time, I knew it wouldn't be any good. But this is worse than I thought. I'd hoped we could at least use nicknames and all when playing online. Otherwise, we are just playing with what seems like smarter (or stupider in most cases) CPU.

Otherwise the only real experience you can get out of online mode (aside from smarter battles, but you'll easily forget your online) is by playing with your friends, and your friends only. Oddly enough, about 90% of my online friends don't even care for Smash Bros, and my cousin, who does like Smash Bros, can't get online, so I'm screwed in this. But I guess it's for the best, since Nintendo still won't let you chat with your friends online. But yeah, I expected that.

Nintendo are either...

1. EXTREMLY way over protective of little stupid kids who can't seem to learn they shouldn't be talking to strangers, that Nintendo will take it to the extreme and punish everyone who is smart enough or more mature.

or

2. Not very smart when it comes to online matters. Not very smart at all.

Normally I'd say it's 1, but Nintendo has been starting to worry me for the last 10 months...makes me wonder if Sonic Team somehow took over Nintendo...

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but it looks like your online handle can have at least 5 letters now.
i noticed that. and judging by the spacings between the end of the name and the status, it looks like 5 is now the max.

which is good. i only needed one more letter anyway.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Holy crap this was one of the most disappointing updates I've ever seen. Then again, I didn't expect them to be any good with online mode. I've always expected an online mode, but at the same time, I knew it wouldn't be any good. But this is worse than I thought. I'd hoped we could at least use nicknames and all when playing online. Otherwise, we are just playing with what seems like smarter (or stupider in most cases) CPU.

Otherwise the only real experience you can get out of online mode (aside from smarter battles, but you'll easily forget your online) is by playing with your friends, and your friends only. Oddly enough, about 90% of my online friends don't even care for Smash Bros, and my cousin, who does like Smash Bros, can't get online, so I'm screwed in this. But I guess it's for the best, since Nintendo still won't let you chat with your friends online. But yeah, I expected that.

Nintendo are either...

1. EXTREMLY way over protective of little stupid kids who can't seem to learn they shouldn't be talking to strangers, that Nintendo will take it to the extreme and punish everyone who is smart enough or more mature.

or

2. Not very smart when it comes to online matters. Not very smart at all.

Normally I'd say it's 1, but Nintendo has been starting to worry me for the last 10 months...makes me wonder if Sonic Team somehow took over Nintendo...
Did it ever occur to you that people might share their friend codes through some sort of online forum/community.....like smashboards?

Shark X

Smash Lord
Did it ever occur to you that people might share their friend codes through some sort of online forum/community.....like smashboards?
I knew that, but I don't care to enter random friend codes from random people. It's too **** time consuming. Would be easier to meet random people in the game, and add them as a friend with one button, like most games.

aran_fusion

Smash Cadet
Did it ever occur to you that there probably isnt a way to communicate in game, so even though you're sharing your friend codes via a forum like this. (Which is already a hassle to deal with) Maybe you want to play a new stage, so you have to get up, walk away from the console to go check your computer and ask your 'friend' what stage to play on.

What would be worse if they attempted to have an on screen keyboard to type out messages slowly.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
I knew that, but I don't care to enter random friend codes from random people. It's too **** time consuming. Would be easier to meet random people in the game, and add them as a friend with one buddy, like most games.
but you can practice on Sandbag while you wait for matches to start! how f***ing cool is that!?

Shark X

Smash Lord
Did it ever occur to you that there probably isnt a way to communicate in game, so even though you're sharing your friend codes via a forum like this. (Which is already a hassle to deal with) Maybe you want to play a new stage, so you have to get up, walk away from the console to go check your computer and ask your 'friend' what stage to play on.

What would be worse if they attempted to have an on screen keyboard to type out messages slowly.
Exactly. Obviously I couldn't of put it any better myself.

aran_fusion

Smash Cadet
Online play is a BONUS. Not the entire focus of the game. Get over it.
I'm sorry, but Multiplayer is what smash is about. This is ONLINE multiplayer. Its the next big thing in gaming, the ability to play online with people.

Look at x-box, they have had it for like 3 or so years now, WITH voice chat.

Nintendo needs to get with the effing program.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Online play is a BONUS. Not the entire focus of the game. Get over it.
Weren't you the guy who attacked me for no reason a few weeks ago? I could swear you have it in for me just because I'm pointing out simple facts. And no **** the online is a bonus, and not the entire focus of the game. Anyone with a brain knows that. Whats your point?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hey everyone, check the site in game modes. Next to adventure mode, there is "nintendo wi-fi connection" mode. It's going to be updated in the future, definitely. And with that said, peace all, and see you in Brawl [rhymes]. Wi-Fi, and good night, and don't fright: I WILL OWN YOU ALL! ;) [super rhymage ftw! :laugh:]

-Johnknight1! :)

PS: Watch my vid on the confirmation. ENJOY! [link below! V] :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViwLIDi-lVA

iankobe

Smash Lord
Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi! Wifi!
WiFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII RULES.

aran_fusion

Smash Cadet
Exactly. Obviously I couldn't of put it any better myself.
To add to that, I have Metroid Prime 3, and was exchanging friend vouchers. The most annoying thing was finding a site to exchange Wii codes with, then contacting the person on MSN and discussing how many we wanted to exchange, then exchange codes, and then we had to sit there and figure out how it worked, because the manual didnt tell you.

watomsk

Smash Cadet
xDDDD

ejem* i really prefer the game without a ranking system, and i really don't think they'll actually do a ranking system.

There will also be no battle records kept for this mode, so whether you win or lose, it doesn’t matter. Just sit back and play.
Yeah, that's what i like to hear! =D
However, i do wonder...
In "with anyone", can you actually play with anyone in the world?
I really hope not, that would cause a lot of lag in almost every battle...

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but Multiplayer is what smash is about. This is ONLINE multiplayer. Its the next big thing in gaming, the ability to play online with people.

Look at x-box, they have had it for like 3 or so years now, WITH voice chat.

Nintendo needs to get with the effing program.
Have you ever been to an out of state tournament? If you haven't, you don't know what Smash is about. You only know what Smash Bros. is about.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
To add to that, I have Metroid Prime 3, and was exchanging friend vouchers. The most annoying thing was finding a site to exchange Wii codes with, then contacting the person on MSN and discussing how many we wanted to exchange, then exchange codes, and then we had to sit there and figure out how it worked, because the manual didnt tell you.
Prime 3 was a breeze to set up to exchange vouchers. all of my friends were already registered on my console, so i just clicked "Configure WiiConnect24" and BAM! i could send vouchers to any friend i wanted.

it'd be nice if the friend system in Brawl were that simple. maybe they will have a similar feature, that automatically registers the friend codes of your Wii Friends.

aran_fusion

Smash Cadet
Prime 3 was a breeze to set up to exchange vouchers. all of my friends were already registered on my console, so i just clicked "Configure WiiConnect24" and BAM! i could send vouchers to any friend i wanted.

it'd be nice if the friend system in Brawl were that simple. maybe they will have a similar feature, that automatically registers the friend codes of your Wii Friends.
Yeah except I didnt have any RL friends with a Wii, so you see, I didnt have anyone registered on my console. And to this day it only remains to be ONE person. The very same person I exchanged the vouchers with.

So the whole registering each others consoles and all that mess was a huge hassle and quite honestly a waste of time because by the time we figured it out, I had beat the game. This was over the course of 4 days.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
What does that have to do with anything?

You fail.
Big tournaments and meeting people is what SMASH is about. However, I'll admit that I should have said big tournament instead of out-of-state.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
There's pros and cons to the online mode. Truth is, it's better then nothing. Simple as that.

SiD

Smash Master
Big tournaments and meeting people is what SMASH is about. However, I'll admit that I should have said big tournament instead of out-of-state.
Okay, but that's not what Smash is about. It has become something awesome, that's true. But Smash is about multiplayer in general, not just big tourneys. So it is not wrong to expect more from an online service for such a multiplayer centric game. Phantasy Star Online had more functionality than this as far as not friends goes, and that was for Gamecube like 5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom