• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On the Importance of Naming Names

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
This tomfoolery with the naming of advanced tactics needs to end immediately.

The function of a name is two-fold: first, to create consistency. For example, if a weapon of mass destruction--like the Death Star--is created, and I name it "Obliteration Bringer" while my pal Grand Moff Tarkin names it "The Emperor's Toy #4313," then conversation on this warm and fuzzy subject will be difficult because it'll take a while to figure out what he's talking about. A name should be consistent in order to avoid confusion.

Secondly, a name should reveal a part of the subject's character and/or function. This part should be fairly obvious--for example, Superman is called "The Man of Steel." He is called this because he's a man, and he has all the characteristics that steel has--unyielding (in his morality), extreme durability (impervious to harm), and a general sense of boringness (I find Superman nor steel as particularly interesting). Hence, the name reveals part of Superman's character/nature.

This is true with most names: Jacob from Judeo-Christian mythology can be interpreted as "Trickster." And he successfully tricked a great many people, including his brother, and relative Laban. And the scientific names of animals in Latin usually reveal a certain characteristic that the namer finds noteworthy--you know, how Magneto calls mutants "Homo superior" to get across the point that mutants are the highest point on the evolutionary chain.

So, my fellow Smash players, when you find an advanced technique and decide to name it, BE SURE THAT EVERYONE CAN AGREE ON IT, AND MOST OF ALL, MAKE SURE THE NAME MAKES SENSE.

For example, this nonsense of naming techniques after yourself is immature and stupid. If you want to be immortalized in the Smash community, do it the normal way by kicking everyone's arse. In Smash, I mean. Naming it after yourself only portrays you as a lonely individual desperately seeking attention from your peers as a justification for your existence. Please. And even worse, a lot of these names don't make sense. DLX-Hit-Cancel? Hyphen Smashing?

The ONLY time you EVER get to name something after yourself--or another person--is if you (or they) happen to be top-tier material. Like, Ken Combo--he gets to name it that because he's the best player in the world. You guys are not. Likewise, Einsteinium and Curium get to be named after people because, heck, it's Einstein and Madame Curie.

So, for future reference, when techniques are discovered, choose names that will remain consistent and that actually make sense. Because when I talk to people In Real Life about Smash (and I DO do that on occasion), I don't want to be caught saying "Oh snapz son, did you see that mofo pull off that DLX-hit-cancel combo into a glide-cancelled hyphen smash?"

Now that just sounds silly.

Arteen

Smash Lord
On a related note, can someone please explain what "Ink Dropping" is?

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I calls 'em like I sees 'em. Clear & concise.

The trick is to ignore what people name them, and refer to them by what's reasonable.

eg "glide cancelling" or w/etf, is roll throwing. Same goes for the whole host of other crap storming around at the moment.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
There isn't any importance in naming a trick, so people shouldn't be in a tizzy about naming one themselves.

If I kill someone using a trick, its not like I'm going to yell out "You've been ink dropped son!!1".

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
I would settle for a ban on naming entirely, would save up thousands of worthless posts. IF you happen to find something you think is new, post on the boards explaining it, and because brawl is not in the hands of many yet, link a video too. Then those with brawl can try to replicate, while those without can examine the video, and hey if something exciting does come up great, if not we don't have dumb threads stuck at the top because everyone feels the right to bash someones name of something that isn't a tech anyway. No names will have fewer false tech threads, and save headaches all around.

-True

Mama

Smash Ace

The trick is to ignore what people name them, and refer to them by what's reasonable.

eg "glide cancelling" or w/etf, is roll throwing. Same goes for the whole host of other crap storming around at the moment.

Double qft. Melee is leaving its mark on the dawn of the Brawl era already. There were advanced techniques and they had names so now people feel compelled to name every little thing. I agree with the op and phanna, its gotta make since if you're going to name something. And don't go looking for any kind of thing just to name it cuz we don't need to coin a new phrase every time someone discovers a a character specific way to cancel something.

Top Bottom