• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On the game's voice acting...

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
I have no complaints, other than: Sakurai, if recording new voice clips for Dedede was necessary, why on earth did you make them sound like he's being possessed by Dark Matter? It just feels sorta out of place, that's all.

All I can say is it's weird how Pit sounds like a chicken when he's hit at high damage.

BAWK-AWW!
I think that was the joke. It's a running gag in KI:U to call Pit a chicken, so I guess they wanted to reflect this in Smash as well.

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
I like Sonic's voice actor, but like in his recent games, it's the lines that hamper his performance more than his voice.

"You're too slow!" replaced with "Sonic Speed!" was a mistake. I forgot what line his Final Smash was replaced with ("now I'll show you!"), but that was also a poor decision.

Dark Pit has some of the best voice acting oinn the game--too bad that's the only reason to use him over regular Pit.

Also love Little Mac's Japanese voice in the English games--at least it sounds Japanese.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
:4falco:is not that bad, :4metaknight: is ok. But I cannot stand :4fox:'s voice. Brawl had it better.
I got over :4fox:'s voice. It's like I got used to it. Like Fire is pretty bad and Landmaster is awful but besides that its decent. :4falco: on the other hand ever time he says something that isnt a grunt I cringe, Idk what it is. It's just so bad. I miss Brooklyn Falco.

You guys do realize Fox and Falco are voiced by the same guys who voiced in Star Fox 64 3D, right?
Those voices only worked in 64/3D because the game is old and fuzzy sounding, as well as the over the top voices made the game memorable. With Smash I feel like their Assault/Brawl voices fit much better because they fit their character more, the 64 voices just sound silly in this situation.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Bowser not having the awesome Kenny James voice he has in every recent game ever is a criminal act.

Rexcalibr

Smash Apprentice
I think the Koopalings voices all came out great and appropriate for their actions, despite being recycled from New Super Mario Wii. I especially like their little laughs during taunts.I also don't see why some of you think everyone needs to talk in their voice, if that's what some of you are implying. I'm totally fine with Bowser's roars and grunts or Diddy's chimp sounds. I hated Bowser's voice in Mario Sunshine when he actually spoke and Bowser Jr's was worse.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Dunno much on the voice acting, it's kinda recycled here and there, and sometimes don't fix what ain't broke.

Some Koopalings sound really awful though due recycled lines (:4wendy::4larry: specifically), and don't get me started on Rosalina with her awful recycled Kerri Kane-clips. She has too many fake moments in her performance. (Star KO is really awful to listen)

Pittoo also keeps with his fake "edgy" voice which I kinda can't get behind (couldn't there have been bit other way to handle it?).

One bigger nitpicks for me is the "silent" characters. Fighting them feels pretty damn lifeless when defeating them (no Star KO screams or other death blow screams). Also lots of missed opportunities (Pac-Man could have used his death SFX from his game). The weird part is that almost plenty newcomers in Smash consists of these kind of characters. (:4villager::4mii::4megaman::4pacman:)

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I think the Koopalings voices all came out great and appropriate for their actions, despite being recycled from New Super Mario Wii. I especially like their little laughs during taunts.I also don't see why some of you think everyone needs to talk in their voice, if that's what some of you are implying. I'm totally fine with Bowser's roars and grunts or Diddy's chimp sounds. I hated Bowser's voice in Mario Sunshine when he actually spoke and Bowser Jr's was worse.
Kenny's Bowser is great when he's not talking though

Whelt

Smash Rookie
I love the voice acting for :4fox:. But, Star Fox 64 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I'm a big fan of cheesy voices. FIYER. I also enjoy :4myfriends: for the same reason. Speak softly but scream like a maniac. ERAAAUUUUUUGH! I fight for my friends.

:4bowser: sounding like a motor engine is weird, though. He has a distinct voice in all recent Mario games that they could be using.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
with his fake "edgy" voice which I kinda can't get behind (couldn't there have been bit other way to handle it?).
I never really got this complaint. How does he sound "fake edgy"? He sounds off from his native appearence, yes, but so does every KI character.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I never really got this complaint. How does he sound "fake edgy"? He sounds off from his native appearence, yes, but so does every KI character.
I just referred to his character. He comes of trying too hard to be edgy - kinda like Pit doing "edgy impression". (Which might make sense, but combined with his talking voice, it's sort of making him sound like an awful dark clone)

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Dark Pit has always reminded me of those Freshmen twinks that try being really hardcore by dyeing their hair black and wearing dark colors all the time/acting really "edgy" and "cool". His voice certainly doesn't help change that.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Dark Pit has always reminded me of those Freshmen twinks that try being really hardcore by dyeing their hair black and wearing dark colors all the time/acting really "edgy" and "cool". His voice certainly doesn't help change that.
Isn't that pretty much the extent of his character though?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
One bigger nitpicks for me is the "silent" characters. Fighting them feels pretty damn lifeless when defeating them (no Star KO screams or other death blow screams). Also lots of missed opportunities (Pac-Man could have used his death SFX from his game). The weird part is that almost plenty newcomers in Smash consists of these kind of characters. (:4villager::4mii::4megaman::4pacman:)
Yeah, much as I love Mega Man's inclusion, I wish he spoke. His Powered Up voice would have worked fine, and there were enough clips to recycle.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Then who are you to judge his character if you don't know anything about him?
I mean like
I'm pretty sure I said something along the lines of "This character gave me this impression in my time playing Smash Bros" not "I know everything about this character!" but regardless I'm sorry if I somehow upset you by saying that.

Godzillionaire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Crit-Hit
3DS FC
3797-7329-5972
I'd love it if they would give Bowser a voice similar to his voice in Bowser's Inside Story. It's a nice mix of "Big and Scary" and "Lighthearted Jolly" and I would absolutely flip out of he said "SHOWTIIIIIME" in his battle intro

Crilixz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crilix
Fox got bodied in the Voice department, But i like Falco's voice WAAY Better then in Brawl or Melee. Ganondof sounds cool too.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Eh.. I'm usually pretty forgiving of voice acting, nothing in the game really bothers me... or maybe I'm just used to years of prior horrible voice acting in games in previous years to the point where I'm unfazed by it, either or.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
The only ones standing out in a negative way are Fox and Sonic's VA.
(Though to be fair, in fox' case only "Fire" and "Landmaster" sound awful)

SOOOOOOO glad they kept Mewtwo's deep and scary voice, even if it's a different VA.
His guttural creepy laughs are simply the best.

Piedro

Smash Apprentice
Fox got bodied in the Voice department, But i like Falco's voice WAAY Better then in Brawl or Melee. Ganondof sounds cool too.
in sm4sh'Dorf has reused voice clips form Twilight Princess or the same VA.
In melee he has VA from Ocarina of Time.
I wonder if they recorded new clips (better quality) for Smash 4?

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Sonic's VA sounded okay to me half of the time. Fox's VA is definitely the worst in the game for me. I know it's bad if I keep making fun of him every time I hit him.

"YEOW!"

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Its not that they want them to talk but to have the voice from their native games ala DKC returns/DKC Tropical freeze for the DK crew and the modern Bowser games (Galaxy onwards) with Kenny James as Bowser. The Koopalings and Bowser Jr. got their current voices so some people were hoping DK, Diddy, and Bowser got theirs. Not a fan of Dedede's wheezing, but it fits his actual game appearances and its Sakurai so its fine with me. Also in my opinion fox's voice is so much worse compared to falco's voice. The result screens are particularly jarring and I haven't played them too much honestly because of it. I have been trying to like their voices and get used to it but I miss their accents. Also Pacman without his death SFX is really jarring especially when Mega Man got his.

Top Bottom