• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni Releases Controversial Video On Smash 4

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
A couple of the original arguments for custom moves were that they would make the game more balanced and they would make the game more interesting. The first argument is only an assumption and even though some low-tier characters can benefit from custom moves, it doesn't mean that it automatically makes the game more balanced or that they will be able to match the high-tier characters. Also, some high-tier characters like Pikachu, Sheik, and Rosalina benefit greatly from their custom moves. There's the possibility that it will just widen the gap between the high-tier and low-tier characters. The custom moves, in contrast to the defaults, were not designed to be balanced.

Regarding the second argument, even though you may see different custom moves for certain characters being used at first, people will eventually start to use only one custom moveset overall.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Regarding the second argument, even though you may see different custom moves for certain characters being used at first, people will eventually start to use only one custom moveset overall.
There will be a default set
eventually for general match-ups but it won't be the best for every match-up.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
There will be a default set
eventually for general match-ups but it won't be the best for every match-up.
That is the problem with the argument, though. It won't make the variety of the strategies greater by a significant amount, if it makes the amount greater in the first place. People will begin to use the same strategies regardless of the amount of custom moves there are, and there are usually custom moves that are so good that there isn't a reason to use the alternatives.

Last edited:

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
People seriously have to wonder why even the Smash 4 community is divided? We just have to admit it, Sakurai finally won with Sm4sh. We know SSB4 took the series and further removed it from competitive by the things that were removed from Brawl, an already stripped down game in comparison to Melee.

The game is designed and structured from the ground up to be noncompetitive. All the "support" we got from Nintendo? PR stunts, and we KNEW IT, yet we rolled along in hopes we'd be catered to, we were LYING to ourselves guys. All the division among the community and hatred? It's because Smash4 is anti-us..yknow as a competitive community. For gods sake Sakurai's team has gone out of his way to patch cool exploits and character tools we've found almost immediately as if to spit in our faces...it's time to accept that we were outed with this game.

By all means please continue to grow smash 4 and have fun with it, you're entitled to, but realize this game was made to spite you and me in specific. We as a community have become so good at smash games we can weed out the potential of a game early on now. 5 months? Plenty of time as of nowadays, especially with a game as stripped down as Sm4sh.

People said from Brawl's start "oh we'll find cool exploits, the game will grow" and look at where brawl is now huh? Sure some cool stuff was found, situational gimmicks. But, Its own community killed it with the way it played (if I saw another ic's vs MK match or timeout with % based win i was gonna hang myself) and its lack of dedication to growing itself. The same thing will most likely happen to smash 4, but faster because how even further limited the game is.

in b4 warn/ban for not hugboxing peoples feelings again, idgaf anymore.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
That is the problem with the argument, though. It won't make the variety of the strategies greater by a significant amount, if it makes the amount greater in the first place. People will begin to use the same strategies regardless of the amount of custom moves there are, and there are usually custom moves that are so good that there isn't a reason to use the alternatives.
It still increases it and you are making an assumption on what will happen when that is still up in the air.

People seriously have to wonder why even the Smash 4 community is divided? We just have to admit it, Sakurai finally won with Sm4sh. We know SSB4 took the series and further removed it from competitive by the things that were removed from Brawl, an already stripped down game in comparison to Melee.

The game is designed and structured from the ground up to be noncompetitive. All the "support" we got from Nintendo? PR stunts, and we KNEW IT, yet we rolled along in hopes we'd be catered to, we were LYING to ourselves guys. All the division among the community and hatred? It's because Smash4 is anti-us..yknow as a competitive community. For gods sake Sakurai's team has gone out of his way to patch cool exploits and character tools we've found almost immediately as if to spit in our faces...it's time to accept that we were outed with this game.

By all means please continue to grow smash 4 and have fun with it, you're entitled to, but realize this game was made to spite you and me in specific. We as a community have become so good at smash games we can weed out the potential of a game early on now. 5 months? Plenty of time as of nowadays, especially with a game as stripped down as Sm4sh.

People said from Brawl's start "oh we'll find cool exploits, the game will grow" and look at where brawl is now huh? Sure some cool stuff was found, situational gimmicks. But, Its own community killed it with the way it played (if I saw another ic's vs MK match or timeout with % based win i was gonna hang myself) and its lack of dedication to growing itself. The same thing will most likely happen to smash 4, but faster because how even further limited the game is.

If anything Smash 4 tried to get more into the comp community to bring it closer together.

Not the other way around.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
It still increases it and you are making an assumption on what will happen when that is still up in the air.

If anything Smash 4 tried to get more into the comp community to bring it closer together.

Not the other way around.
I wanted Smash 4 to be good in the competitive sense, I put so many hours into this game already. I really did want it to be hype competitively but it's just...idk. I feel like I wasted money pretty hard with it. I just cant find worth in it as a competitive game. As a casual game is ****ing great, I terrorize both FG and for fun...but like I just feel like the game tries waaaaaaaaay too hard to hold the players hands.

Last edited:

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
I'm not too much into competitive but something that always annoys me is how tight the meta in smash, compared to other competitive games like LoL or starcraft which constantly nerf/buff/change things.

Pros have to adapt to wathever the developers do with the game, that games don't die they stronger with changes. In smash a minor change generate massive complains by pros and fans, maybe people are just lazy to adapt to new things.

I'm don't know much about melee but from what I've seen that game is frozen in time and looks that it will remain like this, people just dont get tired of it.

Omni is voicing that rigid mentality that melee promotes, a game that in 10 years will be played with the same rules with the same tier with the same characters, etc. And saying that experimenting with the game will lead to the death of smash4 is overexaggerating a lot.

I do agree that is to early for custom, literally everyone had to rush custom when they decided to make them legal, also I think we have to accept that smash4 is not as competitive as melee.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I wanted Smash 4 to be good in the competitive sense, I put so many hours into this game already. I really did want it to be hype competitively but it's just...idk. I feel like I wasted money pretty hard with it. I just cant find worth in it as a competitive game. As a casual game is ****ing great, I terrorize both FG and for fun...but like I just feel like the game tries waaaaaaaaay too hard to hold the players hands.
Up to you if you feel that way.

People think it is good compeditively, you don't.

All there is to it.

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
I actually agree 100% with Omni. Coming from someone who doesn't discriminate against a smash game, I agree with him. Very valid points are given. Personally I think Brawl was better competitively because it had to be different, and there were some characters good enough to hold chain grabs, COMBOS (weird, right?) but sadly that game died as it lived.

I thought Brawl was good. Melee is great, 64 is cool beans, and Project M is fantastic. Competitively, Smash 4 is weak. You use the same combos to kill and rack up damage every single time... It gets repetitive. I feel this game will die like Brawl unless the community can get it together.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
My point is, can anyone be sure that the perceived benefits of custom moves aren't overstated?

TR33

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pandaguy719
I like some of the points he was bringing up but a brand new community exploring new options and trying things out isn't necessarily a bad thing. It signifies growth and I'd say it's far better to try out multiple venues of possibility instead of simply ruling them out.

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894

All the smash games are designed to be party games...none were structured with competition in mind, not even Melee. It was the community that made Melee competitive, and for some reason people think that since Brawl and Sm4sh have different pacing and advanced techniques from Melee, they aren't as competitive. It's as if you said cricket is more competitive than baseball or rugby is more competitive than American football.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
@Omni in that beanie smiling reminds me of :denzel:

But yeah I mean the problem with the Smash 4 community isn't that it's full of novices, it's that it's full of novices who think they have a legitimately well formed and valuable opinion.

That may seem harsh, but it's literally like a 12 year old little league player trying to give ruleset opinions to the NFL

Molma

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3652-0643-3937
Welp, nice to know that I'm not the only one thinking that Smash4 needs to get their s*** together in some shape or fashion. It definitely is irritating coming from smash64, melee, and PM (my main game) and attempting to have a serious mindset with Smash4. The stock system alone is confusing (2 stocks is way too fast and unforgiving, while 3 stocks can get lengthy with the proper stalling techniques or MUs) and I personally just do 3 stock friendlies without time limits because I know my friends are not the campy type. The seemingly inconsistent attack priority and polarized balancing makes matches alone very volatile, making it hard for players like me to really get an idea of what is safe or unsafe (i.e. similar plays have very different results.)

There are also players that feel outright attacked if they lose a close match, and I can feel the frustration emitting from them which makes me feel pity and wonder why I spent the time to play with them (and its a friendly match, just trying to have fun!) The mixed and sensitive mindsets discourage competitive and casual play alike, and can even end friendships with enough matches.

Ok before this message gets too large, If we can't simply "play the game" and enjoy it then it will definitely die (provided nintendo stops funding it, which isn't anytime soon, so we have enough time to have fun right?). This is also why I stopped playing Pokemon at a competitive level(Smogon is VERY popular in my community, to where it creates "bible thumpers" that bash, john, and ridicule you for beating them with non-OU teams, then tell their friends to "not bother with this fraud" and quickly outcasts you).

Also... PM?

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
@Omni in that beanie smiling reminds me of :denzel:

But yeah I mean the problem with the Smash 4 community isn't that it's full of novices, it's that it's full of novices who think they have a legitimately well formed and valuable opinion.

That may seem harsh, but it's literally like a 12 year old little league player trying to give ruleset opinions to the NFL
I kind of agree with you, which is why I don't really talk about my opinion on rulesets. I'm kind of a new player and it seems more logical to leave the rules to the pros. I support customs, but I'm pretty sure the experts have reasons not to want them. Besides, I don't even go to tournaments, so why would I try to change tournament rulesets?

Phi Ratio-Tribe.

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0834-3149-1983
This whole talk about banning customs really doesnt make sense to me because its a built in mod. Players are always going to want variation to a character to make the character feel new n innovative. If they are banned i think that'll stun this games' growth exponentially. I wasnt a fan of customs when i first got the game cause me and my friends were really not used to how to play with and versus a certain playstyle and thats just frustration and yknow not wanting something thats " campy, op (excuse me if i offend anyone ) but "gay " to become meta. To me banning customs is as if Street Fighter banned using different specials in tournament play. idk custom moves give characters a chance to disturb n rock tier lists n really make alot possible. So , Safe to say im pro customs but everything in moderation!

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Welp, not everyone plays like a cheetah *cofcofDabuzcofcof*. There are solutions for everything. Hoo-haa'd? DI. Running away? Do something. Spamming? Git gud. You will only lose if you lose. If you win, you've done something to it. About the rules stuff? Man, I recall seeing Melee matches with items, on Rainbow Cruise, Yoshi Island... As time goes by, we learn more.
I am only afraid of the Customs. Many attacks are made to be more powerful than the originals, and they may be Unbalanced.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
2 stocks or 3 stocks?
So ones basically a shorter version of the other. Big deal. Rushed on time? 2 stock. Want the tournament games to be more accurate? 3 stocks. Either way the player with the best product of matchup, luck, skill, and a cool head is probably going to win the set.
Custom moves or not?
Do you want a tournament with more variety or more simplicity? nough said.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Also... PM?
PM's still my favorite flavor of Smash, so right on.

As far as Smash 4, I'm the same as you. I prefer three stocks with no time limit because my friends aren't interested in camping and neither am I.

When I play against people who want 2-stock matches, what I tend to find is that 2-stocks means matches are decided on the back of one mistake or early gimp. That's usually pretty unsatisfying, and it makes both players tend to play a bit safer than usual. I've even found myself hanging back when I should be more aggressive, because I don't want to get footstooled by accident and end up losing half of my lives in one silly moment.

I wish more people would play with 3, but I guess it's not an option because there are some people out there who just love camping?

But I'm caring less and less every day. I'd already gone back to PM a while ago and maaaaaaaan did it feel good after trying to make Smash 4 work for me. It's probably time for me to accept that Smash 4 isn't my jam, and just let the Smash 4 fans do their thing with it.

There are some things I like about Smash 4 (mii fighter's fun, rosalina's got a cool playstyle, I love the way Luigi feels), but this indecision by the community as far as how to handle TO settings is almost as exhausting as trying to find a lagless connection on FG. :p

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Honestly I think that the smash community totally went to **** the moment people decided that it was a good idea to completely separate themselves from Melee players to Brawl players.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Moose of the Law

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2019-9745-0500
I think what we're doing wrong is that we're not giving the meta time to develop. It's only been 5 months, and there are so many people trying to form a meta too early. I remember early tier lists listed characters like Diddy, Olimar, and Luigi in the lower tiers. Now that the meta has developed for a bit, people discovered those characters are way better than we gave them credit for. People at first neglected custom moves for competitive. Now it's a big debate over whether or not they should be allowed for competitive. We just need to give this game time before trying to set everything in stone. I believe EVO will help the meta develop more since we'll discover if 2 stocks and 6 minutes is too much or too little and if customs should be allowed or not. I think Smash 4 will keep living for a while as long as we let the meta develop and stop trying to make it something it isn't. Even as someone who plays Sm4sh semi competitively, I do agree it's not as good competitively as Melee. It's good competitively, but not great.

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
Crisis like this happen with every new game. As a community, i think we should try everything the game has to offer, see what works and doesn't work, and narrow it down from there.

epic11

Smash Cadet
NNID
achrafrises
3DS FC
4613-7611-5770
I think we just have to play the game for at least 2 years to make a tier list or ruleset since its just a war now just like omni said in the video.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Omni thank you. I stopped following the Smash 4 scene when this game was 2 months old (when Wii U version was 2 months old; played 3ds version since it was first released). This scene is so cancerous, just by giving an opinion that is not by popular demand you are subjected to hate. Before the Wii U version of Smash 4 came out I stated that Shulk is a really weak character and should be buffed because he is literally a better version of Ike with the Monado Arts mechanic. I was assaulted with hate because my opinion didn't reflect what majority of the scene said. What happens weeks later? Patch hits and Shulk gets buffed (almost everything got buffed with him damage wise, can't tell you speed wise), where are those haters now? Nowhere to be found.

I don't believe in the Smash 4 scene because the divide has gotten so big that it's like a tectonic rift. I would like to see them prove me wrong and maybe then I'll give that scene another chance but as it is now I'm going to stick with the Project M scene which is a lot tamer.

Keep doing what you do Omni. This scene needs to realize an opinion is an opinion. There's no "You're wrong!" "No, just no". Unless you worked on Smash 4 as part of the dev team you can't criticize someone with no basis.

Last edited:

pokemario

Smash Cadet
NNID
pokemario24
3DS FC
3067-5423-1066

Many people know @Omni for some of the vlogs he has released covering topics in smash Smash including Diddy Is Innocent, Overcoming Tournament Jitters, 3 Ways To Improve Your Smash Game, and others. His most recent vlog has brought up a lot of controversy and discussion throughout the community as it is titled Why Smash 4 Will Die. In the video, Omni discusses his thoughts on some of the things most detrimental to Smash 4 right now. Give it a watch!

The thoughts in this video bring up a lot for discussion. Hopefully people will stay civil as the community sits down to tackle issues going forward in the entirety of our Smash community.

@ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill is always up to discuss anything related to Smash. Follow him on Twitter and start a discussion!
Everyone has stances on situations of this game, such as Diddy, customs, and others. I have my stances too, but stances aren't the most important part. What IS important is playing the game, but stances aren't bad.

Just remember, the Diddy debate is active, the custom debate is active, but we have to keep our cool and play the game, because what's the point of the debate if we have nothing to apply it too? We as a community will argue, but we can't let it distract us.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Praxis summed up my thoughts. I've played Brawl extensively in the past myself, and even gave Smash 4 a shot for several weeks after launch. I ended up dropping it. The shallow interactions caused extreme frustration for me. Good video as well, Omni.

Last edited:

Nimyu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-6319-0143
I actually agree 100% with Omni. Coming from someone who doesn't discriminate against a smash game, I agree with him. Very valid points are given. Personally I think Brawl was better competitively because it had to be different, and there were some characters good enough to hold chain grabs, COMBOS (weird, right?) but sadly that game died as it lived.

I thought Brawl was good. Melee is great, 64 is cool beans, and Project M is fantastic. Competitively, Smash 4 is weak. You use the same combos to kill and rack up damage every single time... It gets repetitive. I feel this game will die like Brawl unless the community can get it together.
Well Marth chain combo on fox and Falco is always a thing and no one complains about that. And yet people complain when you can down throw to up air in 4, or Kirby dair into everything. XD

Nimyu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-6319-0143
Omni thank you. I stopped following the Smash 4 scene when this game was 2 months old (when Wii U version was 2 months old; played 3ds version since it was first released). This scene is so cancerous, just by giving an opinion that is not by popular demand you are subjected to hate. Before the Wii U version of Smash 4 came out I stated that Shulk is a really weak character and should be buffed because he is literally a better version of Ike with the Monado Arts mechanic. I was assaulted with hate because my opinion didn't reflect what majority of the scene said. What happens weeks later? Patch hits and Shulk gets buffed (almost everything got buffed with him damage wise, can't tell you speed wise), where are those haters now? Nowhere to be found.

I don't believe in the Smash 4 scene because the divide has gotten so big that it's like a tectonic rift. I would like to see them prove me wrong and maybe then I'll give that scene another chance but as it is now I'm going to stick with the Project M scene which is a lot tamer.

Keep doing what you do Omni. This scene needs to realize an opinion is an opinion. There's no "You're wrong!" "No, just no". Unless you worked on Smash 4 as part of the dev team you can't criticize someone with no basis.
The main variable is the internet Maybe to be honest, since people tend to feel to speak their opinion more freely. I went to locals with 47 participants and it felt so respectful!!! Plus overall, you can't help but accept we're all individuals so we have different opinions.

Last edited:

Tankster

Smash Apprentice
Still waiting. It's only been 5 months of watching things go down in the community, but a god cannot be created within 5 months. I'll see what the smash 4 community becomes after the 1st anniversary of this game

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
The main variable is the internet Maybe to be honest, since people tend to feel to speak their opinion more freely. I went to locals with 47 participants and it felt so respectful!!! Plus overall, you can't help but accept we're all individuals so we have different opinions.
Acceptance was the problem I stated in my last post regarding the Smash 4 scene. Where I'm from, a bunch of people from the Smash 4 community will have different opinions and try to force it down people's throats like it's the only way to play competitively or whatever they say is fact. So I went to smashboards and got the same negativity from the example I gave. I live in Canada so it is difficult enough to have different locations when attending local tournaments, but the Project M community on Smashboards and at my locals respect opinion and facilitate discussion...something the Smash 4 scene has long forgotten.

Maybe your Smash 4 scene is great, but mine isn't and from the reactions of people to Omni's video and through Smashboards it's obvious that majority of the scene are elitist which is funny cause they are so quick to call people who dislike the game (or something about the game) Melee elitist or Melee fanboys when they are no better.

Nimyu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-6319-0143
Acceptance was the problem I stated in my last post regarding the Smash 4 scene. Where I'm from, a bunch of people from the Smash 4 community will have different opinions and try to force it down people's throats like it's the only way to play competitively or whatever they say is fact. So I went to smashboards and got the same negativity from the example I gave. I live in Canada so it is difficult enough to have different locations when attending local tournaments, but the Project M community on Smashboards and at my locals respect opinion and facilitate discussion...something the Smash 4 scene has long forgotten.

Maybe your Smash 4 scene is great, but mine isn't and from the reactions of people to Omni's video and through Smashboards it's obvious that majority of the scene are elitist which is funny cause they are so quick to call people who dislike the game (or something about the game) Melee elitist or Melee fanboys when they are no better.
I also live in Canada. Manitoba to be precise. XD

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
Anyone who thinks that individual custom moves don't need to be banned obviously hasn't seen ADHD's villager with customs.
Haha ADHD is such a troll...I saw one match where he used Diddy and didn't go for a single grab. He does what his opponent least expects him to do, and with Villager's tripping tree, pushy lloid and bomb balloons, ADHD must be infuriating to deal with.

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
I feel like the sm4sh community would be far less hostile if everybody mained or secondaried villager...all the villager mains I've come across were super chill. It's like he's constantly reminding you to have fun and not take the game too seriously.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Smash 4 is not going to die.

However, the competitive smash 4 community is going to shrink and become smaller and more focused, before things can improve.

The issue is extremely simple : Scrubs. Too many of them.

Unfortunately with fighting games / smash brothers we see this trend time and time again... let me explain the cycle using smash (melee/post melee) as an example.

#1 - Melee is released. Everyone loves it, everyone has fun playing... small tournaments start to spring up, talent starts to develop.

#2 - Players begin to argue rulesets.. items on or off? 4 stocks or 5? etc. Stronger players try to eliminate RNG as much as possible for a fair contest which is generally agreed upon... weaker players in light of not having random elements that win them the game occasionally now lose 100% of the time to stronger players. Instead of improving their game, they start to resent competitive smash... because they're scrubs and would rather blame others for losing instead of getting better at something.

#3 A new smash game is announced. *THIS* is where **** really hits the fan... Brawl was an absolute nightmare... although a big majority of the arguments between melee and brawl were my fault when I was being an idiot back in 2008.
The argument from the scrubby side is simple : "You guys ONLY beat us because you use glitches and cheat. If melee wasn't broken with wavecheating glitches I would beat you. It's your fault that I don't want to improve at the game.... You just wait until Brawl / Smash 4 / Smash 5 / Smash 6 comes out. Sakurai is on our side and he's going to make it so you guys can't cheat"
The argument from competitive players is simple but unfortunately a lot of elitism is thrown in which causes us to lose credibility : "No. You lose because you have the wrong mentality and you are not playing to win, you are playing to make excuses and have created unwinnable scenarios in your mind"

#4 New smash game released.
This, ladies and gentleman is where we are presently with Sm4sh
For some STUPID reason, scrub fighting game players believe with absolute certainty that if a game is NEW and has not been "exploited" by pro players, that they have a chance of winning all the time and being the best players... so at the inception of a new fighting game they crawl out of the woodworks to come ruin tournaments with their Johns, excuses, and general scrub mentality.
I see it all over the place on r/smashbros. "Diddy kong is too strong" "How do you beat SPAMMY players! Projectiles r cheep"

The reality of Smash 4's situation is that about 50% or possibly MORE of the competitive players DO NOT have the mentality of a competitive gamer.

The good news? This is normal, this always happens. And a year from now, that 50% is not going to be playing the game anymore.. they're going to get fed up, figure out a universal excuse as to why they can't win, and stop going to tournaments, or putting in their 2 cents on what the rules should be.

Smash 4 is not going to die. It's going to take some time but I truly believe it will become better over the years.

- Dylan_Tnga

Last edited:
Top Bottom