• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni Presents: Three Reasons Why You Should Pick A Top Tier

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
not even five minutes in and its 20XX discussions down here
dangit
hey @Omni
what if u play PM and everyone's top tier

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
No thanks. I'll keep my playing my :4wiifit:, regardless of her placement on some silly tier list.
And in Smash4, it's really hard to tell who's at the bottom tier this time.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'll stick to playing as my mains here because I either like them as characters or they're just fun to play as...or better yet, both.
:rosalina::4megaman::4littlemac::4falco::4ganondorf:

Liam_Butler

Smash Apprentice
I'm a bit of a contradiction. I am the resident ICs expert in my area (shoutouts to the Macomb/SCS crew) but I dropped them for a character I feel is more viable, which is Captain Falcon. I love ICs, I think they're amazing, but I don't feel like they have what it takes to win a big tournament and I feel like I only win with gimmicks. Yet, in Smash 4, I purposefully pick underrepresented characters (please note I'm terrible at Smash 4) so that way I can try and find things with that underrepresented character. I am determined to make Duck Hunt look good, I will find his saving graces. But the cases are different. Melee is 10+ years old. It is clear who is good and who isn't. Smash 4 is fresh, so tiers are guaranteed to change. My interpretation of this video was from a Melee standpoint and I agreed with most of what he said. But from a Smash 4 viewpoint, I disagree with a lot of what he says. That might be something Omni might need to consider, what game audience he's making a video for.

Or naw, what do I know. I'm a noob IC player.

ARBITER WARPIG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARBITERWARPIG
That's right, but for audience like us, it will get a bit dull if we keep seeing Fox vs Fox, ZSS vs ZSS for most of the time.
Picking top tiers will end up seeing the same MUs all over again....

If your favorite character is top tier, congrats. If isn't, don't completely abandon him/her. But you should still need to try out those top tier characters.
I mean have you seen SAUS's Link?

proxibomb

Smash Clown
I like playing top tiers, and mid/low tiers. I always have at least one mid/low tier under my belt.

Example:
High Tiers used in tournament:
:falcomelee::falconmelee::jigglypuffmelee:

Mid/Low Tiers used in tournament:
:yoshimelee::nessmelee:

I practice both high and mid/low tier just because I feel some characters have potential. Seeing a match won with a low tier is also quite fun.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Please watch the video first, Senpai.
Wait Omni, are you suggesting people actually read or watch media that's reported on to inform themselves instead of just reading the title and assuming the know exactly what's going on? WHAT MADNESS IS THIS!?!?

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Pick who you're good with.

I main Luigi in every game, and yes, while he is my favorite character, I only play him because I'm good with him. Tiers only show how much more viable characters are. If you master a character, then that's your best character. Its not "I'm better with them 'cause they're top tier".

And also, I like to play my character. Simplicity has always been my thing.

Last edited:

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
If you want to win tournaments the bottom line is you will have to pick up a high-tier or at least somewhat viable character no matter who you choose to main. Some characters just don't have what it takes to be the absolute best sad but true. That being said, I have a ton of respect for low-tier heroes who disregard tier lists and show the true potential of low/mid-tier characters IMO they are some of the most fun hype-worthy players to watch. I main :4myfriends: so I planned on being a low-tier hero at tournaments from the beginning (although I don't think that's possible now after that recent patch and the plethora of buffs he received) And I use :4ness: if I really want to win/do well against top-tiers.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I think a lot of people are being really silly about all of this; pick who you want to pick, but don't discredit the tier list for being what it is.
It's not -just- a "Who's good and who's bad" list, it's a categorization of character viability in a tournament setting; naturally, ones with more tools and options will exceed others.
This isn't to say your main is bad, but it's to say other characters are given better options to work with.
If you can make the options work, awesome, but having me say that Dedede is better than Sonic is ludicrous despite me having a winning record against that character -- the fact of the matter is that anyone who uses the character's full potential has a greater chance of winning, hence the list.

Also, people are less upset with seeing the same characters over and over in Melee because the matches are generally faster paced and downright flashier, even when nothing much is happening in the neutral.
There's also the fact that what's done is done in Melee whereas Smash 4 can still be balanced, so there's really nothing to lose from asking to buff characters that need buffs.
I'm not endorsing complaining, though.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I won't drop Kirby, not now, not tomorrow, not on my sleep.

I understood if this was Brawl or Melee (after all, the characters have a giant gap on their balance), but now, on Smash 4 (let's admit, every character is viable now), it's not the time to drop our mains. Also, we will keep maining our character if we want it to rise and shine (Armada did it with Peach, Mango did it with Jiggly, aMSa is doing it, but the number of Yoshi mains is not growing).
TL;DR: We should not give up our mains now that they are good (or, at least, more on par with the others)
Um, no, was SAUS Link good? Can I see the video? Link is one of my sword mains, I might need to see of of SAUS' Link tricks.

Edit:
lol.png
Just pointing this out, lol

Last edited:

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
Everyone has their own reasons for who they play. For me, its way more rewarding to win as:4wiifitm: than :4sheik:

Last edited:

ProjectTwin

Smash Apprentice
Loved Brawl Sonic. Would have mained him if I had a Wii. Now that I have a Wii U, I can actually play as one of my favorite childhood characters :D

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
On another note: Why did you even put this in the new SmashCapps? It really has no need to be here, and only serves to tick people off.

Morgan S. Court

Smash Cadet
NNID
MorganSCourt
3DS FC
0216-1002-7781
Please watch the video first, Senpai.

You don't have to drop your mains. Keep them! The idea is that learning how to use top tiers will help you face against them with your current mains. Even if you don't main them it's always beneficial to thoroughly explore them.
Exactly!

The person who made the anti-sonic guide and overswarm (author of how to overcome smash4's custom moves) make the same points. It's become a habit as I improved to hit the lab each time I had a hard time with a character to learn their strengths and weaknesses.

While I main a low tier Robin, I've done testing with characters like Sheik and Latex suit to learn the matchup better. I really enjoy playing her, but I keep pocket characters from across tiers (Like Ness, Pit, Kirby, and Lucy) depending on the scenario.

Also, there are cross-tier matchups. A bottom tier Lucina's grab-release can true-combo into a forward smash/side B on higher tiers like Ness. In such a context, learning even a low tier can be beneficial. Nairo's Robin beat ZeRo's Fox twice in a row at the Xanadu invitationals.

Anyway, great job. I've considered getting into making more youtube videos besides my shenanigain uploads on similar topics, so if you happen to be able to give me any quick pointers, that'd be great.

MegaTuks

Smash Rookie
Melee has seen the same matchups for over a decade and no one cries. Either this is a Smash 4 issue or people just need to grow up.
i acutally dont watch melee anymore for this reason, it doesnt change, the smash 4 and PM balance patches change up matchups and keep the tier list changing , which is good and fresh. the past smash n splash with Scatts megaman and allys crazy mario were great. and watching sethlon's pm roy is a blast. welll what i am trying to say is that melee is so consistent very few moments are unique, while PM and sm4sh can still grow and surprise us

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
I'm a melee fox (yeah yeah nearly every melee player) I picked him because of how fun it is to play fox and I believe it is easiest for me to get myself to practice with a character that is fun to move around with.

I can't understand people that want to play lowtiers. You have less things you can do. You get pressured easier, there is less stuff to learn. I understand someone wanting to main luigi cause they love his unique toolset despite him not being the best but for the life of me I don't see why anyone would pick for example bowser. There are characters that do everything he does but better. The only reason I can see people wanting to pick characters like that as a tournament main is to feel proud of beating that random top tier that played for like a month to feel good about being able to beat players that clearly had the advantage in characters.

Since this is most likely going to be visited by a lot of low tier players (hopefully some that go to tournaments too) I'd like them to come up with other reasons they're crippling themselves. Cause I don't really think there's lowtier players that don't play for said struggle.

If you are a lowtier playing for the struggle instead of playing for said struggle with a lowtier I recomend to aim for a higher placing in tournament with a better character instead it's a harder and deeper struggle.

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
i acutally dont watch melee anymore for this reason, it doesnt change, the smash 4 and PM balance patches change up matchups and keep the tier list changing , which is good and fresh. the past smash n splash with Scatts megaman and allys crazy mario were great. and watching sethlon's pm roy is a blast. welll what i am trying to say is that melee is so consistent very few moments are unique, while PM and sm4sh can still grow and surprise us
Personally I believe that watching a game you don't understand is a relatively boring experience in general. Whilst the characters stay the same the tools they use keep expending. Which for someone only watching it is pretty boring and the same but for people with a decent understanding amazing to take in and very different.

_gold_

Smash Master
This guy annoys me, and I could care less of what fighter he thinks I should be.

poisn

Smash Rookie
I'm a melee fox (yeah yeah nearly every melee player) I picked him because of how fun it is to play fox and I believe it is easiest for me to get myself to practice with a character that is fun to move around with.

I can't understand people that want to play lowtiers. You have less things you can do. You get pressured easier, there is less stuff to learn. I understand someone wanting to main luigi cause they love his unique toolset despite him not being the best but for the life of me I don't see why anyone would pick for example bowser. There are characters that do everything he does but better. The only reason I can see people wanting to pick characters like that as a tournament main is to feel proud of beating that random top tier that played for like a month to feel good about being able to beat players that clearly had the advantage in characters.

Since this is most likely going to be visited by a lot of low tier players (hopefully some that go to tournaments too) I'd like them to come up with other reasons they're crippling themselves. Cause I don't really think there's lowtier players that don't play for said struggle.

If you are a lowtier playing for the struggle instead of playing for said struggle with a lowtier I recomend to aim for a higher placing in tournament with a better character instead it's a harder and deeper struggle.
well, i main puff in ssb4 and i never used puff for the struggle tbh. from the first month that the game came out, immediately, puff felt like 1 of 2 characters that i felt would eventually be top tier(the other being sheik lol), so i went in the lab and learned my timings, spacing, setups, and puff exclusive mindgames. as time went on and as i played in more tourneys i realized that even if puff was more unpopular i was still doing better with puff than with my other main, sheik, despite her being top tier. in the end most low tier players who play in tourneys play low tiers bcuz its the characters we know and play with best (were also too lazy to learn top tiers rofl).

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
well, i main puff in ssb4 and i never used puff for the struggle tbh. from the first month that the game came out, immediately, puff felt like 1 of 2 characters that i felt would eventually be top tier(the other being sheik lol), so i went in the lab and learned my timings, spacing, setups, and puff exclusive mindgames. as time went on and as i played in more tourneys i realized that even if puff was more unpopular i was still doing better with puff than with my other main, sheik, despite her being top tier. in the end most low tier players who play in tourneys play low tiers bcuz its the characters we know and play with best (were also too lazy to learn top tiers rofl).
Sad to hear you picked "wrong" Though if that is your sole reason I'm curious what keeps you with her since you have been learning setups once at least.

Do you still believe puff has it in her? If you got into sm4sh now (when the tierlist is actually a reasonably solid thing) would you still play puff? Do you regret picking puff? What about puff made you think she was top tier? If you ever learn setups with a toptier will you make the switch regardless? Is puff secretly the funnest bubblegum in sm4sh?

S4C

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2638-2053-6437
First of all. I love my characters. "Twin Helmets" Captain Falcon and Samus. I've made them to be extension of my person. It's me under that helmet. I don't care about stocks, I care about style. Eventually.... playing long enough enable to take stocks. BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT.
Play Whoever
Play Whatever
Play your way.
If you lose. Oh, well. Find other ways that make you feel good in this game. If its taking all your opponent's stocks... ok. For me, it's landing the falcon punch. Being risky, find the most creative way or not so creative way to get into my opponent's head and GET THE GAME CHEERING FOR ME. usually when that happens. I feel that I did when and my local friends hate cuz they see it gets me hype and stop fighting 'seriously' after the crowd chant. haha

-Nebula-

Smash Cadet

Winning with a lower tier is way more rewarding than winning with a top tier because it means that you won solely based on your skill, not because your character has advantages over your opponent's. Sure, it may be harder to win, but it's way more fun. Everyone playing the same three characters ruins the spirit of the game.

People come up against me and say, "Hey, you're the Pac-Man!" and that brings a smile to my face. I've never once heard someone say "Hey, you're the Sheik!" Diversity makes the game much more exciting.

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
Winning with a lower tier is way more rewarding than winning with a top tier because it means that you won solely based on your skill, not because your character has advantages over your opponent's. Sure, it may be harder to win, but it's way more fun. Everyone playing the same three characters ruins the spirit of the game.

People come up against me and say, "Hey, you're the Pac-Man!" and that brings a smile to my face. I've never once heard someone say "Hey, you're the Sheik!" Diversity makes the game much more exciting.
Thats part of why I enjoy the characters that I do. Its more rewarding to put on a good show with a character barely anyone touches over one that everyone uses. Because people remember those moments a lot more.

\\ArT oF wAr//

Smash Rookie
NNID
GibleLikesToBite
I might stop maining falco like I did with greninja because of the stale move situation and I have trouble with picking mains because of my history of choking in matches and I feel like I am getting worse.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Specifically to point 2, I don't agree with the sentiment, mostly the idea that people pick low/mid tiers just to make an excuse. If I pick R.O.B. and I lose the match, I'm not going to say "Oh well that's only because Captain Falcon is much faster and that's why everybody plays him," nor am I going to delude myself into thinking "I'm still better than this guy because I had the balls to pick a mid-tier." No, I picked R.O.B. because I feel he's a good fit for me, and if I lose it's because I got outplayed. I can still get better, and there are ways to deal with bad matchups or tier differences. I guess he does clarify that not everybody thinks this way by the end though, at least.

I also don't think trying to shake up your opponent with a matchup they weren't expecting should be treated as a sign of disrespect. Maybe there are people out there who think that, but hopefully that's not universal.

Finally, my biggest concern is that encouraging everyone to pick top tier will only further stagnate the competition. What fun is watching a tournament when everybody's playing the same 3 characters?

I guess I have to respect that Omni is speaking to the meta, which does feel this way - but I'd prefer we went the opposite direction and try to broaden our collective skillset, not narrow it down and cast a shadow on 85% of the roster. It'll make spectating a thousand times more interesting to keep the matchups fresh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom