• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni: How To Get In Your Zone

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Omni is back yet again with a vlog! Many people know Omni for some of the vlogs he has released including Diddy Is Innocent, Why Smash 4 Will Die, Why You Should Pick A Top Tier and others. This time he discusses how to hone the mind and strengthen mental aspects of Smash by getting into "the zone." Give it a watch and improve the mentality in the arena!

SmashCapps know how important it is to keep the mind strong when playing Smash and appreciated the video. To talk to him about other ways to be a better player outside of holding a controller follow him on Twitter.

SPAZ494

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4511-0835-8425
First comment!
And I've been in the zone a lot but not consistently. When I am though, I pull of some crazy combos. I've gone crazy on some people with Dedede. I've 0 to death or nearly 0 to deathed a few people and it was awesome. That focus where you are reading your opponent, your spacing is on point, and your combos are on point is amazing

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Warning Received
More Omni clickbait. Wonderful. This guy isn't even good at smash I don't know where he gets off giving advice like he knows so much. Win a tournament first plox.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
More Omni clickbait. Wonderful. This guy isn't even good at smash I don't know where he gets off giving advice like he knows so much. Win a tournament first plox.
What is your problem?

I've been in the Smash community for +10 years. I've written countless Smashboards guides, organized tournaments, created a local training ground for my region, competed in Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4, and yes, I've won several tournaments during my active Brawl years as the best MK in MD/VA.

Now I'm older and I have less time to compete but I've found an avenue to continue giving back into the community I've been a part of almost a third of my life.

So I ask again: What is your problem? A person who loves his community is trying to create content that can help people improve their gameplay. And you want to piss on that?

Hate me as a person. Whatever. That's the new popular thing to do I guess. But I love my community and I won't stop. So get use to seeing more of me.

Greed-checkTheTek

Smash Ace
What is your problem?

I've been in the Smash community for +10 years. I've written countless Smashboards guides, organized tournaments, created a local training ground for my region, competed in Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4, and yes, I've won several tournaments during my active Brawl years as the best MK in MD/VA.

Now I'm older and I have less time to compete but I've found an avenue to continue giving back into the community I've been a part of almost a third of my life.

So I ask again: What is your problem? A person who loves his community is trying to create content that can help people improve their gameplay. And you want to piss on that?

Hate me as a person. Whatever. That's the new popular thing to do I guess. But I love my community and I won't stop. So get use to seeing more of me.
ROASTED ASF

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
What is your problem?

D-D-D-D-D-D-DAYUM.
-DD

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I've gotten into the zone for a tournament once.

It was a week before final exams, I was mad sick (The very day after my finals finished I was bedridden for almost a week, hurray auto-immune disorders!), it was late at night while I was exhausted, and I was on both nightquil and gravel (nausea relief stuff in Canada that makes you veeeeery groggy).

So apparently to get into my zone, I need a serious amount of stress, my body sick to the point I'm getting close to bedridden, and both naturally and medically induced exhaustion? O_o

Considering I won that tournament... I'm not sure if the pros outweigh the cons or not, lol. But man, I could read my opponents like a book. Never was able to do that before, never been able to since.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
This actually helped me yesterday in school.

Good for Smash, good for life! :D

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I've been getting into my zone a lot lately come round 2 in a set. Losing a set to some kind of cheese, or because I kept making the same mistake over and over again, gets me determined to not let that happen again, and somehow I can just pick them apart later. It's a surreal experience, like... it's not that time slows down, but I feel like I have more of it, and I feel I can afford to wait for what I know they're going to do and respond appropriately. I recently had a 0% win on FG after losing to someone this way, and I think that's what helped me to discover it.

Last edited:

ARBITER WARPIG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARBITERWARPIG
What is your problem?

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

Largo Shogun

Smash Cadet
I've been wondering how to trigger it myself, but sometimes in the process I fall back on auto pilot whilst doing it. I think I focus too hard on the inner calm part last time I was in that state of mind

Sometimes I try to force myself to sleep and I can feel myself on the verge of it and then I become aware that I'm about to sleep. The fact that I realize it prevents me from crossing that threshold.

I'm always thinking too much and then I end up over compensating and going to the far other side of the spectrum and shutting my brain off. It's hard but I've found that magic middle ground before.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
Truth be told, I never did understand why that guy makes the posts he writes... as far as I can see, he's posted almost nothing but flame bait on every Smash 4 article and gushes toward every Melee article.

I can respect the fact that Dylan_Tnga likes Melee above all others, but almost none of his responses toward Smash 4 are worth anyone's time.

as for the topic... I remember a few folks at the Mind over Meta Reddit discussing this book called "The Inner Game of Tennis"... about mental conditioning towards getting "in the zone", what's your take on it?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
1) you clearly didn't watch the video, this wasn't click bait.

2) nasty call out right here.

3) why should winning a tournament mean you can't give advice?

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
What is your problem?

New twitch emote should be omniRoast

Scarlet Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RageMachine7.5
3DS FC
1375-7206-7615
I've found my zone long ago...
Trigger: My waifus
My zone lets me predict/read my opponents 3 steps ahead of them and gives me the ability to kill very early

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
2016 Apex salty suite @ Omni Omni vs @ Dylan_Tnga Dylan_Tnga . I wonder if Dylan will end worse than Chillin.

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
What is your problem?

A 32 liked reply to a hate post. Good job!
And @ Omni Omni , we don't hate you, keep up the good work!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
2016 Apex salty suite @ Omni Omni vs @ Dylan_Tnga Dylan_Tnga . I wonder if Dylan will end worse than Chillin.
I definitely want to go to Apex 2016 so that would be pretty hype, although I doubt anyone really would want to see my gameplay as I wouldn't even say my fox is as good as Chillns fox, close maybe but not as good.

EDIT : You can't end up worse than Chilln. Losing 5-0 is as bad as it gets in smash. Chilln will be forever in the shadow realm. His B.

Pretty confident I could beat omni in melee or 64 though, which isn't really fair because he chooses to play the newer smash games. I would lose hard in brawl or smash 4 because I don't play the watered down versions of smash (shots fired...)

I used to be one of the top 64 players in Canada (due to extensive training with superboomfan when he came to my house for 2 weeks) Have not competed in like 5 years though.

What is your problem?
Daaaaamn this is the best reaction I've gotten so far.

If you've been in the smash community for as long as I have then you definitely know who I am, and what my problem(s) is. I'm Dylan f***king Tnga for christs sake. I'm a legend.

TBH your vids aren't awful, I liked the comedy one about trying to find a smash game but being swarmed by casuals...

but a lot of them are clickbait and end up on the front page of smashboards because smashcapps has some kind of obession with featuring your videos, even stupid ones like "why smash 4 will die" which was the pinnacle of click bait.

I do not hate you as a person, I dunno where you got that from.

Last edited:

Seel

Smash Rookie
NNID
numbered
I definitely want to go to Apex 2016 so that would be pretty hype, although I doubt anyone really would want to see my gameplay as I wouldn't even say my fox is as good as Chillns fox, close maybe but not as good.

EDIT : You can't end up worse than Chilln. Losing 5-0 is as bad as it gets in smash. Chilln will be forever in the shadow realm. His B.

Pretty confident I could beat omni in melee or 64 though, which isn't really fair because he chooses to play the newer smash games. I would lose hard in brawl or smash 4 because I don't play the watered down versions of smash (shots fired...)

I used to be one of the top 64 players in Canada (due to extensive training with superboomfan when he came to my house for 2 weeks) Have not competed in like 5 years though.

If you've been in the smash community for as long as I have then you definitely know who I am, and what my problem(s) is. I'm Dylan f***king Tnga for christs sake. I'm a legend.

TBH your vids aren't awful, I liked the comedy one about trying to find a smash game but being swarmed by casuals...

but a lot of them are clickbait and end up on the front page of smashboards because smashcapps has some kind of obession with featuring your videos, even stupid ones like "why smash 4 will die" which was the pinnacle of click bait.

Who are you cause i don't recognize your tag as a 64 player.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe

You sound like a snobby asswipe, have some respect, he actually puts thought into the things he says. Also I don't even know who you are for one, and I'm sure not a lot of others do. Also no, I don't say this as an Omni fan, I don't like him that much, I'm fairly neutral, but now you're just being narcissistic and coming up with a poor excuse for your initial response. So to put it in short, put your money where your mouth is, you already got disrespected by the people in this comment thread and by Omni who you called out, so grow up.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Who are you cause i don't recognize your tag as a 64 player.
I haven't played in a long time. I've always gone as TNGA or Dylan_Tnga.

You sound like a snobby *******, have some respect, he actually puts thought into the things he says.
Respect your elders? :laugh:

TBH dude, your post is also pretty snobby but whatever.

Also I don't even know who you are for one, and I'm sure not a lot of others do.
:( I was the original person to say Brawl was going to be terrible (based of the trailer) I predicted that Brawl would die, and melee would live. For doing this I was harassed by 4chan on all of my social media stuff and had to shut down my youtube channel for awhile due to getting 100000s of comments wishing death on me for hating the removal of advanced techs in Brawl.

Also no, I don't say this as an Omni fan, I don't like him that much, I'm fairly neutral, but now you're just being narcissistic and coming up with a poor excuse for your initial response. So to put it in short, put your money where your mouth is, you already got disrespected by the people in this comment thread and by Omni who you called out, so grow up.
Fair enough. I'd be willing to money match Omni but it wouldn't be fair because we don't play the same smash games.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Soooo

Here's what this really is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

This should be helpful:
Schaffer (2013) proposed 7 flow conditions:
  1. Knowing what to do
  2. Knowing how to do it
  3. Knowing how well you are doing
  4. Knowing where to go (if navigation is involved)
  5. High perceived challenges
  6. High perceived skills
  7. Freedom from distractions
Let me explain in terms of Smash Bros. Let's go down the mindset of what you need to do is win.
1) You need to win.

2) You need to know how to win. Knowing the match-up helps. If you don't know the match-up, know what you need to do in order to learn the match-up on the spot.

3) This should be pretty clear. Just know rough kill percents. Jiggs doesn't die at the same time as King Dedede. Etc.
4) Does not apply

5) You're not going to get in the zone if you think you're fighting some scrub. Understand that each person has a chance to beat you. Even if you have fought them before, they may change their playstyle in a way that ****s you over. Being careless is what will lead to your defeat. Give it everything you have, because they are all threats. Or, if the person is truly really bad and no challenge, and you still want to be in the zone, change your goal. Will talk about other goals later.

6) Don't go off thinking you're just some scrub either. Just like they have the ability to beat you, you have the ability to beat them. Think of what you have done in this game. If you do lose, it is not necessarily skill. Match-ups are a thing, and even beyond that, playstyles can have an affect. A person who is shield happy will be at a disadvantage against somebody who is grab happy. It does not mean you suck.

7) This is why you bring the headphones. Read this (it's easy to understand):
In every given moment, there is a great deal of information made available to each individual. Psychologists have found that one's mind can attend to only a certain amount of information at a time. According to Csikszentmihalyi's 2004 TED talk, that number is about "110 bits of information per second". That may seem like a lot of information, but simple daily tasks take quite a lot of information. Just decoding speech takes about 60 bits of information per second. That is why when having a conversation one cannot focus as much attention on other things.
If you are in a tournament, there is going to be a lot of people behind you. A lot of talking. Other sets are going to be going on too. There is a lot of information to pick up on. You might be able to 'tune that out,' but eventually, something is going to happen which causes somebody in the crowd to yell, or say your name, or your character's name. What music does is block those possible distractions by having something else to focus on. You only get the information from the song, not the random people. Furthermore, if the song happens to be one which you know well, you will not gain much information from it at all, and your focus can be placed onto the match. I recommend a song which also makes you feel powerful and has a nice beat, because it will more trigger your sympathetic nervous system, which will improve your reaction time. However, be warned, that if you are quite INTROVERTED, you do not want to have the music very loud. However, you might need to have the music louder in order to block people out, unless you have the right headphones. This is why I do not recommend earbuds, for they do not block out anything. The sounds still vibrate the part of the ears which are not covered, and the vibrations will make it to your eardrums. Better headphones for focus are closed, semi-closed, or semi-open (AKA noise cancelling or semi-noise cancelling).

----------------------
Now then,
Some of the challenges to staying in flow include states of apathy, boredom, and anxiety.
Csíkszentmihályi has said, "If challenges are too low, one gets back to flow by increasing them. If challenges are too great, one can return to the flow state by learning new skills.
Basically, in either situation, you need to experiment. If it's too easy, try some things out that have been on your mind. If it's too hard, look for different paths to winning.
------------------------------

Anyways, according to this page, some other things which help with flow is internal, intrinsic motivation. You could possibly change that first step from winning to:
1) Learning a match-up
2) etc

Or
1) Having a good time

Or
1) Developing the character's technical skills

Or
1) Testing/working on combos

Or
1) Demonstrating your skill as a player

The list goes on and on. You do not necessarily need to make your aim winning.

------------------------

One final note is if you do lots of online play, I suggest you change all of the music on every stage to be songs which you find are inspirational and allow you to be in the zone. It is a good idea to have your headphones plugged into the gamepad rather than listening to things on your ipod/mp3, because you actually react to sounds faster than you react to visual. You can react faster to hearing the opponent's attack than seeing it. To have both the zone and this reaction time boost is a great thing.

Hope this helped!

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe

:( I was the original person to say Brawl was going to be terrible (based of the trailer) I predicted that Brawl would die, and melee would live. For doing this I was harassed by 4chan on all of my social media stuff and had to shut down my youtube channel for awhile due to getting 100000s of comments wishing death on me for hating the removal of advanced techs in Brawl.

Fair enough. I'd be willing to money match Omni but it wouldn't be fair because we don't play the same smash games.
I don't respect anyone who doesn't give their respect to someone who isn't even doing anything offensive and demoralizing. Calling me a snob doesn't fix anything but it rather shows you don't even know the meaning of a true snob. But if what you say is true then show some proof for it.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Since I have explained this before, thoroughly over and over again, across many news threads, seriously how could you have missed this, I feature videos on the front page that have been shared around a lot, generate discussion, or show off useful techniques. It also helps that @ Omni Omni sends me every video he makes to look at. Do they all end up on the front page? NO. I like Omni, but do I always agree with all his videos? NO. He still brings up things worth discussing and does so with good quality videos unlike a lot of other folks and I'm gonna continue to have them here as long as he does so.

himemiya

Smash Lord

So are we gonna get another diss track this soon?

ilikesquids

Smash Cadet
What is your problem?

Honestly, you do ****ing clickbait half of your videos.I'd appreciate it if you weren't ****ing everywhere. But whatever.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
... *Sigh*

sometimes, I swear more than half of Smashboards' non-recognized population is a bunch of gullible, argumentative sheep. Folks like Dylan_Tnga post what they do with the expectation of people going up in arms.

it's a common rule on the net, don't feed the trolls...

although, I confess, even I have the temptation of mocking them. there was one guy I remember off the top of my head who quoted me and flamed nonsense in all caps... meta-something... eh, prolly not worth remembering too well

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Interesting Video. I get in the zone by doing tha 420s :0

or i look at this.
image.jpg

Pretty inspiring. Thought i would share with you all, for i love you. ^_^
Except The Second poster of this article. You are an idiot. ^-^"