• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni: How To Get In Your Zone

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
What is your problem?

I've been in the Smash community for +10 years. I've written countless Smashboards guides, organized tournaments, created a local training ground for my region, competed in Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4, and yes, I've won several tournaments during my active Brawl years as the best MK in MD/VA.

Now I'm older and I have less time to compete but I've found an avenue to continue giving back into the community I've been a part of almost a third of my life.

So I ask again: What is your problem? A person who loves his community is trying to create content that can help people improve their gameplay. And you want to piss on that?

Hate me as a person. Whatever. That's the new popular thing to do I guess. But I love my community and I won't stop. So get use to seeing more of me.
Get'em Omni

luke_ario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lukeario13
What is your problem?

I've been in the Smash community for +10 years. I've written countless Smashboards guides, organized tournaments, created a local training ground for my region, competed in Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4, and yes, I've won several tournaments during my active Brawl years as the best MK in MD/VA.

Now I'm older and I have less time to compete but I've found an avenue to continue giving back into the community I've been a part of almost a third of my life.

So I ask again: What is your problem? A person who loves his community is trying to create content that can help people improve their gameplay. And you want to piss on that?

Hate me as a person. Whatever. That's the new popular thing to do I guess. But I love my community and I won't stop. So get use to seeing more of me.
(>'_'> <('_')> <'_'<) rooooooaaasteddddddd. GIVE DYALN A HAIRCUT HIS SSJ3 PRIDE IS GETTING TO HIM

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
More Omni clickbait. Wonderful. This guy isn't even good at smash I don't know where he gets off giving advice like he knows so much. Win a tournament first plox.
Sorry we can't be all be hardcore 1337 smashers like you Tnga. :p

:( I was the original person to say Brawl was going to be terrible (based of the trailer) I predicted that Brawl would die, and melee would live. For doing this I was harassed by 4chan on all of my social media stuff and had to shut down my youtube channel for awhile due to getting 100000s of comments wishing death on me for hating the removal of advanced techs in Brawl.

Fair enough. I'd be willing to money match Omni but it wouldn't be fair because we don't play the same smash games.
While you were well within your right to not like Brawl, the main reason both 4chan and Encyclopedia Dramatica mocked you without mercy wasn't because of your taste in smash bro games, but because of how you acted on SmashBoards back when it was known as Smash World Forums. Granted, any smash bros community be it here or on reddit especially is going to have a few ruffians who are very militant about preferring melee or sm4sh, but in your case Tnga, you were essentially stirring up drama for the sake of being heard whether you intended to or not and this was before the great Melee VS Brawl flame wars which is most likely the reason 4chan took great notice of you here on this site back in 2007 and only you since.

In other words, if you had posted what you didn't like about Brawl back then in a more constructive and polite manner of posting, 4chan and ED would've looked the other way and you wouldn't be here lamenting your actions almost 8 years later. :)

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Honestly, you do ****ing clickbait half of your videos.I'd appreciate it if you weren't ****ing everywhere. But whatever.
You better get used to him. He's "not going anywhere" Don't try to argue with him, he loves the community and is passionate so you're a huge jerk for pointing out that he clickbaits half his videos and shame on you.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master

While you were well within your right to not like Brawl, the main reason both 4chan and Encyclopedia Dramatica mocked you without mercy wasn't because of your taste in smash bro games, but because of how you acted on SmashBoards back when it was known as Smash World Forums. Granted, any smash bros community be it here or on reddit especially is going to have a few ruffians who are very militant about preferring melee or sm4sh, but in your case Tnga, you were essentially stirring up drama for the sake of being heard whether you intended to or not and this was before the great Melee VS Brawl flame wars which is most likely the reason 4chan took great notice of you here on this site back in 2007 and only you since.

In other words, if you had posted what you didn't like about Brawl back then in a more constructive and polite manner of posting, 4chan and ED would've looked the other way and you wouldn't be here lamenting your actions almost 8 years later. :)
I don't lament them, I still to this day find it hilarious, although I can kind of realize just how childish my posts were.

The fact that so many people got offended kind of says it all. I literally invented the fox only / fd meme which is a big part of melee history. Granted it would be cool to be known for my skill in melee (which I don't have very much of compared to the top players) But I'll take it.

Anyhow finally someone remembers the Dylan_Tnga drama from 8 years ago. I figured by angering enough people on the front page I would eventually get called out and finally someone did. Bravo.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
I don't lament them, I still to this day find it hilarious, although I can kind of realize just how childish my posts were.

The fact that so many people got offended kind of says it all. I literally invented the fox only / fd meme which is a big part of melee history. Granted it would be cool to be known for my skill in melee (which I don't have very much of compared to the top players) But I'll take it.

Anyhow finally someone remembers the Dylan_Tnga drama from 8 years ago. I figured by angering enough people on the front page I would eventually get called out and finally someone did. Bravo.
Did you even achieve anything in all of this? People are bringing this up for your flaws, but it seems like your over-saturated and inflated ego keep this trend in your head. P.S. Bravo, you reminded people of what a humiliating failure you are. I don't even care if I get flagged for that one.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Interesting Video. I get in the zone by doing tha 420s :0

or i look at this.
View attachment 68330

Pretty inspiring. Thought i would share with you all, for i love you. ^_^
Except The Second poster of this article. You are an idiot. ^-^"

p.s Omni is cute. (=゚ω゚)ノ

---
Senpai has noticed me! :D
BUSCEMI SMASH, BUSCEMI ANGRY

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
What is your problem?

Yeah, and he can't say that you are not good at Smash. In competitive Smash, EVERYONE is good at Smash, it's just a matter of who is the best. You may not be the best Smasher Omni, but you are the most profound one, and I respect you for that.
Honestly I don't accept some of your opinions in some of your videos, but I just somehow just can't be mad about it lol.
Your videos are really awesome and hilarious Omni, looking forward to see your next video!

HoodsxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanhouDrops
3DS FC
3067-5933-7964
Soooo

Here's what this really is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

This should be helpful:
Let me explain in terms of Smash Bros. Let's go down the mindset of what you need to do is win.
1) You need to win.

2) You need to know how to win. Knowing the match-up helps. If you don't know the match-up, know what you need to do in order to learn the match-up on the spot.

3) This should be pretty clear. Just know rough kill percents. Jiggs doesn't die at the same time as King Dedede. Etc.
4) Does not apply

5) You're not going to get in the zone if you think you're fighting some scrub. Understand that each person has a chance to beat you. Even if you have fought them before, they may change their playstyle in a way that ****s you over. Being careless is what will lead to your defeat. Give it everything you have, because they are all threats. Or, if the person is truly really bad and no challenge, and you still want to be in the zone, change your goal. Will talk about other goals later.

6) Don't go off thinking you're just some scrub either. Just like they have the ability to beat you, you have the ability to beat them. Think of what you have done in this game. If you do lose, it is not necessarily skill. Match-ups are a thing, and even beyond that, playstyles can have an affect. A person who is shield happy will be at a disadvantage against somebody who is grab happy. It does not mean you suck.

7) This is why you bring the headphones. Read this (it's easy to understand):
If you are in a tournament, there is going to be a lot of people behind you. A lot of talking. Other sets are going to be going on too. There is a lot of information to pick up on. You might be able to 'tune that out,' but eventually, something is going to happen which causes somebody in the crowd to yell, or say your name, or your character's name. What music does is block those possible distractions by having something else to focus on. You only get the information from the song, not the random people. Furthermore, if the song happens to be one which you know well, you will not gain much information from it at all, and your focus can be placed onto the match. I recommend a song which also makes you feel powerful and has a nice beat, because it will more trigger your sympathetic nervous system, which will improve your reaction time. However, be warned, that if you are quite INTROVERTED, you do not want to have the music very loud. However, you might need to have the music louder in order to block people out, unless you have the right headphones. This is why I do not recommend earbuds, for they do not block out anything. The sounds still vibrate the part of the ears which are not covered, and the vibrations will make it to your eardrums. Better headphones for focus are closed, semi-closed, or semi-open (AKA noise cancelling or semi-noise cancelling).

----------------------
Now then,

Basically, in either situation, you need to experiment. If it's too easy, try some things out that have been on your mind. If it's too hard, look for different paths to winning.
------------------------------

Anyways, according to this page, some other things which help with flow is internal, intrinsic motivation. You could possibly change that first step from winning to:
1) Learning a match-up
2) etc

Or
1) Having a good time

Or
1) Developing the character's technical skills

Or
1) Testing/working on combos

Or
1) Demonstrating your skill as a player

The list goes on and on. You do not necessarily need to make your aim winning.

------------------------

One final note is if you do lots of online play, I suggest you change all of the music on every stage to be songs which you find are inspirational and allow you to be in the zone. It is a good idea to have your headphones plugged into the gamepad rather than listening to things on your ipod/mp3, because you actually react to sounds faster than you react to visual. You can react faster to hearing the opponent's attack than seeing it. To have both the zone and this reaction time boost is a great thing.

Hope this helped!

So a question, let's say this is a sport where you don't have the luxury of tuning people out with headphones and such when there's a huge crowd (Tennis for example), how would you then perceive to tune out said distraction if you don't have something to fall back on, and keep you focused at all times.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
So a question, let's say this is a sport where you don't have the luxury of tuning people out with headphones and such when there's a huge crowd (Tennis for example), how would you then perceive to tune out said distraction if you don't have something to fall back on, and keep you focused at all times.
I'd say the best option is to think about something else related to the topic, and let it slowly consume your mind. From there you get into the game.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace

Oh wow, this guy has an Encyclopedia Dramatica page.

You know you done ****ed up when you get an ED page made about yourself.

Last edited:

Zoa

Smash Ace
I'm just curious, Dylan_Tnga. You appear to be capable of acknowledging your faults, so why call out Omni's credentials like that? I don't like Brawl, and care little for Smash 4 myself (though keep up with it from time to time), so I'm capable of relating, but I just don't get why you'd attack his credibility like that. I'm not calling you out. I'd just like to understand the thought process about it.

Yo, Omni. You're a cool guy, and I like your videos. I understand the passion for your community and applaud your efforts.

Gloman600

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gloman600
...is this video a joke?
I almost forget elementary school kids play this game im assuming thats your thats your target audience...has to be
Can we see you in a touney tho with some serious results can you get in the zone?

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I have two ideas.
1) You could get used to the crowd just like you got used to the music you listen to. They should be background noise once you hear them enough. Crowds are somewhat variable though, so it could take a while before you've already heard whatever the crowd is doing.

2) Maybe if you do the first 6 steps well enough, the 7th step isn't as big of a deal.

I've never been in that situation, so I can't speak from experience. This only came from my head.

I don't feel too comfortable with that, so I'm going to look it up.

http://tennismindcamp.com/blog/spor...trategies-to-conquer-crowd-generated-jitters/

Mm, so this article has a lot of good advice. Mine isn't bad, and is mentioned in the article. My suggestion is step #5 or 5. You should check out the other advice though, too! Hope I helped :)!

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
This article turned into a roast session.

SwisshySwaash

Smash Apprentice
What is your problem?

DAAAMN ROASTED BY OMNI

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
I have 3 drive. One is I want to win every single match I and become the next best Smasher out there. Two, Is I want to prove that my main tournament viable and not a bad character. My last is to help players who hope to become stronger as well. Lastly I want to shiw those who say I have no talent that they are sadly mistaken.

The song I listen to is called jump, It was used in the "If Melee was a anime" video. Its a mix of up beat Rock music with some elements of heavy metal and it really gets my heart pumping. The video itself also gets me hyped-up. Seeing the accomplishment of Mang0, leffen and the other smash gods inspires me to be like ZeRo and Nairo.

I'm not understanding flip the switch though. I need to break down that section.

when I get into my zone, God help the person I face.

Once again @Omni you have made another fantastic video. You should be a commentator if you still want to be part of the fighting game community.

:link:

Flubz

Smash Rookie
When I'm playing in a higher stress environment such as a tournament, I like to listen to electronic music such as Tobu and Approaching Nirvana. Although being a choir nerd, I do enjoy Renaissance motets and Eric Whitacre/Ola Gjeilo as well : )

76leelee76

Smash Cadet
NNID
76leelee76
3DS FC
2552-3634-1654
What is your problem?

Oh man you just rekt them. GG.

AcePikachu

Smash Cadet
NNID
UltimaPikachu
3DS FC
4270-1808-1129
What is your problem?

HE'S ROASTED, HE'S COOKED, HE'S CRISPY, HE'S SALTY!

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
What is your problem?

10 years in the community and you wonder why things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6AQe4ep31c get you called "Cancer" to our community.

Wintry

Smash Cadet
I can get into the zone sometimes, but it seems like I'm really gonna have to be feeling it (*snicker*) to enter that state of mind.

When I'm in it though, it's like I never think about execution. Of course I'm gonna nail that combo. Of course I'm teching that knockdown. The reads become godlike, I feel no pressure, and I just know what I gotta do.

I'm like 60% of the time Mang0, except more like 2%.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Warning Received
I'm just curious, Dylan_Tnga. You appear to be capable of acknowledging your faults, so why call out Omni's credentials like that? I don't like Brawl, and care little for Smash 4 myself (though keep up with it from time to time), so I'm capable of relating, but I just don't get why you'd attack his credibility like that. I'm not calling you out. I'd just like to understand the thought process about it.
To be honnest I'm just annoyed with his blatant clickbait. Guy should get a job at buzzfeed he's talented at coming up with clickbait as **** titles.

So I pointed out the obvious. This guy isn't a top smasher, why give advice? I don't like ZeRo either, but I can respect his numerous advice videos... considering he wins every damn tournament he goes to.

10 years in the community and you wonder why things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6AQe4ep31c get you called "Cancer" to our community.
Wow. That video gave me cancer. Nothing else to say. Omni should be ashamed of himsef for posting this.

Now I can see why he is so defensive & butthurt. He must be getting a lot of hate for posting stuff like this on top of all the clickbait and bad advice videos.... poor guy.

Oh wow, this guy has an Encyclopedia Dramatica page.

You know you done ****ed up when you get an ED page made about yourself.
That, or you're epic as f**k. The ED page makes me laugh to this day and kind of makes me a trolling legend. People have literally asked me for a Dylan_Tnga autograph at weeklies / monthlies before.

Not to mention that after all these years you can't deny that I corectly predicted (almost 8 years ago mind you) that Brawl was going to suck, which it did, and that melee tournaments would be ongoing long after Brawl died. And the ED page exists as proof.

That satisfaction outweights any negative feelings I had about the whole ordeal, and I feel it is still my duty to call out scrubs everywhere.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
That satisfaction outweights any negative feelings I had about the whole ordeal, and I feel it is still my duty to call out scrubs everywhere.[/quote]

So why haven't you called yourself out?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Dunno about you guys, but I find it a lot easier to get in the zone when hung over.
However, if I don't get in the zone while hungover, I play a lot worse than I normaly would.
It gets like all or nothing.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Dunno about you guys, but I find it a lot easier to get in the zone when hung over.
However, if I don't get in the zone while hung over, I play a lot worse than I normaly would.
It gets like all or nothing.
Hung over... pretty tough but I know what you mean sometimes you can really get in zone hungover.

I'd say I play pretty well when I'm stoned, and the more I drink the worse I get because of slowed reaction time / reflexes. My smash crew even jokes about that "Man, I lost to drunk Dylan... so salty, he's got nothing on sober Dylan" :laugh:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Guess I'm done here, he's clearly as dense as the marijuana patch he grows in his back yard.
So... you're salty because I won't agree with you that I'm a _______ (insert whatever insult you wanna put here)

like... what did you expect? :laugh:

Yes, you join the hallowed ranks of such people as Christian Weston Chandler, Snapesnogger, and SammyClassicSonicFan.
That sure makes you one epic guy.
Nope. What's epic is that I inspired the No items / Fox only / Final Destination meme which is still used today.

What's also epic is that I have proof via this page that I was the first person to predict what was going to happen 5-6 years later in competitive smash. (Brawl dead, melee still livin)

But by all means keep trying to spin it into a negative, it's pretty funny / sad to watch you try. You both seem like angry bitter people so I don't mind giving you an outlet for your online warrior nerd rage.

Back on topic :

How does Omni get in the "zone" for coming up with blatant clickbait youtube videos?

Let's see if I can come up with a few :

Local smasher mains Greninja, YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

10 things every TO doesn't want you to know

Pro smashers HATE this one trick

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I don't mind click bait if @Omni makes a point and offers good discussion and the points are well thought out.

I strongly disagreed with why smash 4 would die video, but even then I saw what his legitimate points were on the subject of rule sets and how that was what made people not like Brawl as much.

This video wasn't and I don't why you fixated on that when it wasn't nor why he called out to his skill.

Player skill means credibility but that doesn't inherently make them right. That is sheep mentality and it sucks in every fighter or nova I see sheep mindlessly without thinking about the why part.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I like how Red Ryu can make his points without attacking specific posters. We can all learn from him.

I guess maybe it's not just a sheep mentality bro but also an Ego thing.

The headspace being "I can beat that guy in smash, why should I listen to him"

Which I guess is hypocritical since I've learned tons from smashers that I could easily beat.

I guess the internet is just a more hostile environment than face to face where you kind of have to be a lot more polite & understanding.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I like how Red Ryu can make his points without attacking specific posters. We can all learn from him.

I guess maybe it's not just a sheep mentality bro but also an Ego thing.

The headspace being "I can beat that guy in smash, why should I listen to him"

Which I guess is hypocritical since I've learned tons from smashers that I could easily beat.

I guess the internet is just a more hostile environment than face to face where you kind of have to be a lot more polite & understanding.
I've learned a lot from people I can beat. I am a firm believer you can learn from anyone no matter how bad or good.

I also learned how top players can say some either really dumb things or just inherently wrong.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
This video is pretty pretentious.
No it isn't. Didn't you see his post on the first page?

He loves his community. So his video isn't pretentious or clickbait. DON'T ARGUE WITH HIM HE LOVES HIS COMMUNITY (more than you, but not in a pretentious way) and he can't stop, won't stop, never gonna stop till he get's enough.

So get used to him.

Top Bottom