• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni: 5 Reasons Why You Still Suck At Smash

Happy New Year Smashboards! Or maybe not so happy depending. Do you still suck at Smash? Made a new years resolution to finally get good? Well don't be down, Omni is here once again to lend his signature voice and give some stellar advice! Watch the video and learn how to 'git gud' in 2016.

Like the video and want more Omni goodness? Be sure to check out some of his other vlogs like Why You Should Pick A Top Tier, 3 Steps To Finding Your Main Character, and Play Lame; Win Game. Have any thoughts on the vlog? Be sure to discuss in the comments below and keep an eye on Smashboards for future Omni videos.

Comments

"5 Reasons why you STILL Suck at Smash"
Y'know just reading that title has really bummed my day.

Last edited:
I've mostly realised these things a long time ago personally (or I've never really encountered the problems), but to those of you seeing the title and feeling bummed out, don't be. Watch the end part, it might help lift your spirits.

This title only makes me wonder if there'll ever be "5 Reasons Why Omni Is Out of Ideas".

I still suck at Smash because work won't let me take off on the day my scene meets! :mad088:

EDIT: I'm not bashing anything. I was just making a joke. I haven't watched the vid because, quite honestly, I don't care about it. And secondly because I'm at work so I can't.

Last edited:
Says that "you'll get 0-2 if you play for an hour before a tournament."

Bruh. I haven't played smash 4 in like 2 weeks and I recently got 2nd at like a 40+ local tourney with Doc. Lol.

Idk about you guys, Smash 4 is pretty easy to pick up and learn, even if you haven't played for a long time, you may or may not show results.

But idk. That's just my thoughts and experiences.

Thank you Omni for understanding that some of us don't take Smash 4 really seriously. People always act rude when I say that I don't care a lot about Smash 4 and I wishe they would understand.

Coming from someone who used to debate with him on the boards, someday Omni will learn to have some chill... But who knows when that'll be.

What I learned from this video is "Do not get on Momni's bad side, she has Instant Transmission and a leather belt with your name on it."

Title is the first thing anyone sees in the news section, and the first thing anyone sees when looking for videos.

I wonder how many people actually seriously sat down and watched the video to the end instead of immediately dismissing it?

I wonder how many people actually seriously sat down and watched the video to the end instead of immediately dismissing it?
Given the click bait nature of the news section lately (especially pairing SmashCapps's addictive nature to post every Omni video possible), I would say its lower than dirt. But hey, at least they're getting comments/views.

Complaining about the title of a good video and not watching it is like looking at bacon and not trying it out because it looks gross.
But that's okay.
That means more bacon for everyone else.
Mmmm.... bacon.

This video is probably more geared towards Melee because I don't even practice Smash 4 and I still manage to do pretty well in tournament because the game is easy. Practicing Melee carries over very easily and basically makes you better than 90% of Smash 4-only players by default. Like, Smash 4 players (in my scene at least) are horrendously scrubby.

Says that "you'll get 0-2 if you play for an hour before a tournament."

Bruh. I haven't played smash 4 in like 2 weeks and I recently got 2nd at like a 40+ local tourney with Doc. Lol.

Idk about you guys, Smash 4 is pretty easy to pick up and learn, even if you haven't played for a long time, you may or may not show results.

But idk. That's just my thoughts and experiences.
Same here but went to a Melee tournament and toke 2nd place playing Young Link

Last edited:
LOL @ this guy trying to look like badass anime. 5 Reasons why you still suck at drawing. Trolly clickbait video titles deserve trolly comments.

Complaining about the title of a good video and not watching it is like looking at bacon and not trying it out because it looks gross.
But that's okay.
That means more bacon for everyone else.
Mmmm.... bacon.
I don't suck so I don't need to worry about "why I suck". Therefore me commenting on the name is like me making my own bacon while you share yours with everyone.

I prefer them nice and crunchy anyway, some people make em all soggy and weird.

Last edited:
"Talent" is nothing more than an illusion...

As much as people want to say, certain people are just more naturally gifted...it's false, nothing more than just an excuse as to why you're not doing as well...

"Skill" is what people should be focusing on, since it's something you can improve, you can work towards bettering with practice...What IS hard work and experience, is shrouded in a cloak of what seems to be a 'Natural Gift'...

This applies to everything and not just Smash and Video Games...We ALL started as a blank slate...People are not born with their tools in their hands...sure some people may get the hang of it faster than others, but that doesn't mean that a slow learner can achieve the same things...

As an artist, I despise the word Talent...it's insulting because it ignores long hours of practice I have already put in, and it does nothing to help push me further...

"Talent" is nothing more than an illusion...

As much as people want to say, certain people are just more naturally gifted...it's false, nothing more than just an excuse as to why you're not doing as well...

"Skill" is what people should be focusing on, since it's something you can improve, you can work towards bettering with practice...What IS hard work and experience, is shrouded in a cloak of what seems to be a 'Natural Gift'...

This applies to everything and not just Smash and Video Games...We ALL started as a blank slate...People are not born with their tools in their hands...sure some people may get the hang of it faster than others, but that doesn't mean that a slow learner can achieve the same things...

As an artist, I despise the word Talent...it's insulting because it ignores long hours of practice I have already put in, and it does nothing to help push me further...
I see talent as more of a "your body was made/upbringing was done the right way to excel over others in this particular thing". A pygmy can't be a record-breaking sprinter for example, so no matter how much practice they put in they'll never be able to outrun someone like Usain Bolt whose body is well-suited for this task.

Another example could be that you have person A who thinks math is okay, and person B who loves math; if both choose the same careers as mathematicians, the one who loves math will be the one to excel the most.

Oh, I also remember reading about tetrachromacy in artists. Thanks to their body's mutations, they excel at anything regarding colors far easier than others. It's what their "talent" comes from.

It's just how it is. Talent exists.

EDIT: Also, saying that we all start as blank slates is like saying we're all born exactly the same, just as how blank slates are basically the same. We have different environments around us while we grow up, for better or worse. I grew up with a family of doctors, so I had a far easier time understanding what was wrong with my body than every other kid in school.

Last edited:
6. You're expecting too much too fast. As I like to tell a lot of new players, if Smash 4 is your first Smash game, you're probably not going to be that good at it. With every generation, the top players are usually the people who just started to climb through the ranks in the first game they took seriously or have been serious players for a freakishly long time. Most of the best Brawl players were people who started on Melee, and most of the best SSB4 players are people who started with Brawl/Project M. This said, if you're not ranking in tournaments right now, you probably won't until late in the cycle of the current game or until the next game if you still care (or can afford to care).

Let's face it, past the age of 25 it's pretty hard to care about competitive gaming thanks to daily responsibilities so it is kind of a countdown with people's "prime" typically being their early 20's. Me, for instance, I've been playing Smash since the original but Brawl was the first one I took seriously. I was 21 when Brawl came out so I was already significantly late to the party because the best players usually get their start at 15/16. If you're not this young right now or got your start past this point, you're probably already sunk, so to speak. Past the age of 25, it's kind of like Slow Pitch Softball leagues but that isn't to say it isn't fun, just don't expect to not get hilariously destroyed if you venture out to anything besides tournaments at your local game/hobby shop.

I appreciate you put in the 5th point because, as a community, everyone can't be high ranking players and people simply have to take on different roles. I like to research characters and study match ups and, in an ironic way, it's not all that different from how my dad studies baseball stats but I'm okay with that. Just because you're not winning EVO doesn't mean you can't contribute in some way to the community and I think some people get too hung on just ranking in tournaments to think that their opinions matter.

I wouldn't say skill is everything. Smash is also a big part about making the right decision at the right time. Some people aren't great when it's about strategy and decision making. Even if they try try to train that, (which is probably pretty hard) they won't really come far because the people who are better on that part will move on with the next step and improve more.

Omni always has clickbait-y titles and damn dude Undertale music is everywhere please stop.
The reasons are pretty baseline but helpful for those that need to hear it.

I see talent as more of a "your body was made/upbringing was done the right way to excel over others in this particular thing". A pygmy can't be a record-breaking sprinter for example, so no matter how much practice they put in they'll never be able to outrun someone like Usain Bolt whose body is well-suited for this task.

Another example could be that you have person A who thinks math is okay, and person B who loves math; if both choose the same careers as mathematicians, the one who loves math will be the one to excel the most.

Oh, I also remember reading about tetrachromacy in artists. Thanks to their body's mutations, they excel at anything regarding colors far easier than others. It's what their "talent" comes from.

It's just how it is. Talent exists.

EDIT: Also, saying that we all start as blank slates is like saying we're all born exactly the same, just as how blank slates are basically the same. We have different environments around us while we grow up, for better or worse. I grew up with a family of doctors, so I had a far easier time understanding what was wrong with my body than every other kid in school.
There are also excellent artists who are completely colour-blind...or even just plain blind...Beethoven's deaf but was still able to compose some of the most famous musical compositions in history...he had no excuse...

Also a person's drive and passion has nothing to do with their 'talents'...Obviously if a person has no interest in a specific field they won't do well...in which case they shouldn't complain about being bad at it in the first place since they are obviously not putting in the time and effort to get better, though some people are still very good at doing stuff they don't enjoy because they have to, in which case they still put forth the time and effort and still excel sometimes moreso than those who do enjoy it...

And referring to genetics is a different situation entirely...Tall people will do better in Basketball, but they still have to practice to excel at the game, and shorter people can still be better players than the tallest person on the team, at the very least they can still excel which is my main point...It isn't always about being the absolute best...If that person puts their mind to it they can still excel at that specific field...regardless of their upbringing and genetics...

I wouldn't say skill is everything. Smash is also a big part about making the right decision at the right time. Some people aren't great when it's about strategy and decision making. Even if they try try to train that, (which is probably pretty hard) they won't really come far because the people who are better on that part will move on with the next step and improve more.
Wouldn't you say that decision-making and strategy is a kind of skill? Learning how to deal with match-ups and knowing how to condition your opponent to do things still requires practice...It doesn't necessarily need to be a skill that requires the right inputs...they say some things can't be taught, but these things can still be learned through the player's own understanding and experience...

Last edited:
Honestly, I kind of figured Omni was going for something similar to what he said at the end for all of his videos, or at least quite a few of them. "Why Smash 4 Will Die" has certainly given a lot of people reason to prove him wrong.

The clickbaity titles kind of sabotage that, though. They're literally there as a joke and I find it silly that people take them more seriously than they should, but nevertheless that is still the case.

Wouldn't you say that decision-making and strategy is a kind of skill? Learning how to deal with match-ups and knowing how to condition your opponent to do things still requires practice...It doesn't necessarily need to be a skill that requires the right inputs...they say some things can't be taught, but these things can still be learned through the player's own understanding and experience...
I actually think automaticly about tech skill when it's about skill but that's just me XD. Besides that i think you're mostly right. When it's about machups and knowledge about what to use against certain characters, yes that can be learned very well. I was more refering more towards things like mind games and being able to read opponent. I think those kind of things are pretty hard to learn if you're not really "talented" at it.

dude....Yes!!!!!!! i love the honesty. i have only been learning to get better for almost 2 years now and i can see all these these points. I want to get better though so i appreciate this video. Thanks Omni!!! Love the Saiyan comparison, hahahhaha!!!!!

Want to know a secret to getting good without watching the video?

Learn the difference between "reading the opponent" and "predicting the opponent". You need to know how to do the former before doing the latter, but lots of people get stuck doing the latter without doing the former. And that's how they get stuck in their skill levels and become easy to read.

Play slower for a while, watch your opponent and understand what you can use to punish them when the opportunities present themselves. Don't go throwing out attacks trying to "zone" when your opponent isn't anywhere near you, or expecting your opponent to fall for your lame attack.

Top Bottom