• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni: 5 Reasons Why You Still Suck At Smash

Happy New Year Smashboards! Or maybe not so happy depending. Do you still suck at Smash? Made a new years resolution to finally get good? Well don't be down, Omni is here once again to lend his signature voice and give some stellar advice! Watch the video and learn how to 'git gud' in 2016.

Like the video and want more Omni goodness? Be sure to check out some of his other vlogs like Why You Should Pick A Top Tier, 3 Steps To Finding Your Main Character, and Play Lame; Win Game. Have any thoughts on the vlog? Be sure to discuss in the comments below and keep an eye on Smashboards for future Omni videos.

Comments

I can think of two good reasons why I still suck at Smash.

1. Work, chasing that $$$$$ *cha-ching*
2. Other games...lots of great games out there that's keeping me from playing Smash.

So...there you go.

Want to know a secret to getting good without watching the video?

Learn the difference between "reading the opponent" and "predicting the opponent". You need to know how to do the former before doing the latter, but lots of people get stuck doing the latter without doing the former. And that's how they get stuck in their skill levels and become easy to read.

Play slower for a while, watch your opponent and understand what you can use to punish them when the opportunities present themselves. Don't go throwing out attacks trying to "zone" when your opponent isn't anywhere near you, or expecting your opponent to fall for your lame attack.
Very true and important. This what a lot of newer players especialy (me too) forget about.

Complaining about the title of a good video and not watching it is like looking at bacon and not trying it out because it looks gross.
But that's okay.
That means more bacon for everyone else.
Mmmm.... bacon.
You could've easily titled the video something like "5 ways to improve your Smash game", but you deliberately titled it "5 reasons why you still suck at Smash" to incite negative responses.

It shouldn't be any surprise to you then that some people might not want to eat the bacon you cooked because it looks burnt.

You could've easily titled the video something like "5 ways to improve your Smash game", but you deliberately titled it "5 reasons why you still suck at Smash" to incite negative responses.

It shouldn't be any surprise to you then that some people might not want to eat the bacon you cooked because it looks burnt.
Still tasty.

Burnt crispy bacon >>> that tender undercooked trash excuse for a pork strip.

I actually found the video helpful and motivating. Thanks a lot Omni, I hope to see more great videos over the coming year!

Complaining about the title of a good video and not watching it is like looking at bacon and not trying it out because it looks gross.
But that's okay.
Mmmm.... bacon.
That's just more bacon for you lol

That's an okay video. Almost all of the reasons were accurate and on point with what's being talked about. Except I disagree with the last reason.

Talent isn't ALWAYS going to prevail. This is just my personal opinion, but I believe with the right work ethic and training, you can still be good just by working hard.

Not saying that you have to necessary win to prove that, but you definitely won't get two stocked on a 1v1 either.

Even if you lose, you can learn about your mistakes and how you can improve from there. It's always the skill that matters to me and you get that by improving.

If I have to add, just be patient. Because you don't know how your opponent's gonna fight, you can learn about your opponent's play-style and strategize from there. Figure out their playstyle, find out their pattern, and predict it.

Edit: Oh never mind. I didn't watch the ending of the video. I did now, and I felt my opinion was unnecessary so whatever. Still.

Last edited:
TLDR: Beginners, don't expect free wins.
I'm just speaking from my personal experience at being bad and not improving. (but I'm working on it, okay! ლ(ಥ Д ಥ )ლ)
I'd like to add that sucking at the game and losing isn't that bad, it's only when a player starts expecting wins when problems to one's mental game arise.
When someone loses and says, "I should have done that or that" or "I should have won", they are in a bad place mentally and it could lead to further losses/mistakes because they are in a negative feedback loop.
They are performing poorly, because they are in a bad mental state; and their mental state is stressing them out, because they aren't performing well. This mental state can continue into a snow-ball and really frustrate some players, myself included, if they don't recognize it and prevent it.
Anyway, I was expecting too much from myself and it was stressing me out. Each loss felt devastating, because I felt like I should have performed better/won. This mindest stayed with me for months and was really messing with me to the point where I was:
-Changing my Main every week
-Contemplating quitting the game
-ONLY playing Smash 4 to try to break through the rut.
I actually took a break from going to tourneys, because I was actually taking the game (and my losses) TOO seriously. I think that may be a problem for many, the few times I've competed I've seen people take losses extremely poorly. Like their soul had been crushed because they got 2-0'ed. I think they may have been going through the same things I was experiencing.
I mainly play Smash for fun. I still study up on it and go to tourneys just to play friendlies, socialize, and talk about MU and what-not. And I think that helped me improve over the last few months, because I'm learning the game without all the added stress. It's been slow improvements, but pretty steady.

Also, remember to respect your opponent, and if they beat your butt. Shake hands, good game, and don't carry the salt if you picked some up during the set.

P.S. Sorry for the wall of text, but I had some time to kill ;)
Peace, guys. And Happy Smashing!

*edit*
I forgot to say nice video Omni. I watch your videos from time to time. I don't really see them as super informative a lot of the time, more like, a good starting point for discussion. However, I think this video was both! GG bro, I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Even if the title has been deemed "trollish". Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
I came into the scene with this in mind. Omni is basically just reaffirming what I've already heard. How funny that the contents are about how bad the title is. Title Triggered

I actually liked this video it makes sense. I like Omni's vids since a lot of them can be applied to other fighting games. You know what... I'm going to sub to Omni on my main YT account (I'm making a different YT channel dedicated to Smash later soon hopefully).
https://www.smashladder.com
you can play people there on all the smash games and for competitive smash 4 it's wayy better than for glory mode.
Btw I never heard of Smash Ladder. I may start going there after I reach my 250 wins goal on For Glory. But then again I probably won't since there are so many good games coming out this year and I won't have time for smash lol. Pokken Tournament anyone? :cool:

But that's okay.
Mmmm.... bacon.
It's a good video, but a lot of people aren't going to give it a chance because of the title... and a lot of people that are going to click on it are idiots that will never improve in smash anyway.

Shame, because a lot of people could benefit from your advice because it's really straight up, no b.s honest stuff that newbies need to hear if they want to stop being bad.

It's your channel, do what you will.... but I think you'd get a lot fewer views / subs, but a higher quality of an audience if you worked on eliminating click bait from the titles of your videos. Cater to the types of people that you want to help by treating your audience as a more intelligent community / entity... sure you won't have morons commenting on your videos and like I said way less views... but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Less idiots is always a good thing.

People straight up do not like being clickbaited, it is far and wide the worst part of the modern internet, right up there with SJWs and catfishing.

The whole "5 reasons" thing or "Why you still _____ at _____" or whatever are really not helping your cause, which is ironic considering your goal seems to be helping out smashers.

Last edited:
You silly capitalist dogs, everyone knows the only way to stop sucking at Smash is to main Ganondorf, in any Smash game (except 64 obviously) because Ganondorf takes away souls.

Top Bottom