• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omaha Weekly Smashfests

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
I agree no one has any intention of getting better, but the game is fun and if people aren't busy why not play it?

I guess people don't want to get 2-3 stocked by Roy. I don't know what thats like, but im sure it'd be terrible.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
The date has been set and the name is WAY better (June 30th)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=322392

I agree no one has any intention of getting better, but the game is fun and if people aren't busy why not play it?

I guess people don't want to get 2-3 stocked by Roy. I don't know what thats like, but im sure it'd be terrible.
Oh that's not even true, you got 3 stocked by my roy 50 times.

@ Ian you will get sh@ in every game ever.

Apparently I wasn't clear enough in post 1938 of this thread.

I will not back down from the following at all.

Showing up high, and/or bringing illegal drugs to my mother's house is banned forever. This includes all prescription medicines which are not prescribed by a doctor, and THC-containing substances of any form and all paraphenelia used for smoking pot. I will not even allow it in your car or anywhere in the neighborhood. If you want to do drugs, STAY AWAY FROM MY HOUSE. This is a non-negociable term for attending my smashfests. If I even suspect anyone is in violation of this term, I will not hesitate to contact the Lenexa police. I will do this stealthily to avoid confrontation until officers have already arrived. If anyone is found guilty of posession, I will not go easy on them at all. They will also be accused by me of criminal trespassing because anyone who would do this is unwelcome in my house.

resTy

Smash Champion
There's a $35 venue fee. Nobody is going.

On a somewhat related note, FC Legacy has a $80 entry fee. Have fun with that, folks.

MaJiK

Smash Ace
dam don't they know peeps is broke in this recession? gotta save money for rent and drugs to cope with the fact we ain't got no monies

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
It's an actual convention, not necessarily a video game tournament, I actually don't think there are any video game tournaments there, or at least competitive ones.

There's a game room though, so maybe there could be tournaments organized. But I ****ed my back up so I will probably only be making guest appearances.

MaJiK

Smash Ace
i looked at the schedule there is a game room but there are NO tournaments mentioned. aside of one small event its all "open gaming" which leads me to believe that more than half the people there won't know that even a single tournament took place

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Nah I'm just playin, trying to get your SC/NC buddies hyped, since I actually played a few friendlies vs black mantis I think.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Refrence Melee....

I think i've gotten better. That guy Selodin was originally pretty solidly 4 stocking me. Now we go either way, probably still slightly in his favor.

Hopefully, its not me playing him specifically too much and compensating, vs me getting better at spacie and marth MUs

Also, Kobzina (guy who played Lucario and Ganon that entered last time SD came out) recenlty picked up Samus. I can 3 and 4 stock him, yet a CC happy Samus from a no0b was butt-****ing me. I need to play Tyser moar, plz be there and play :p

:phone:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Welp, I know you are all a fan of my design

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=13230546#post13230546

BTW, in case you missed it

Sm3esh talked me into making a MELEE PR last night, because it would be "brutal".

I think he's on as a panelist.

I love all of you <3 but we are all too friendly, other than Tyser, who hates all of us but has assimilated in some sense even. He doesn't even go into threads and tell me how much I suck anymore at smash, but he still has a drive to be better than us hippies.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=14603232#post14603232

preliminary.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I was really excited when I first saw this thread title but after reading the last few post I'm a bit worried.

Does Omaha still have weekly smashfest?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Thanks for the fast response MegaRobMan!

With any luck I'll be near Omaha before the end of July and I'm really hoping I can get back into the smash scene once there.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Oh.

I can explain some of that.

We played melee for like as long as I was in Omaha playing smash (early 10) like bi-daily, like 2-5 times a week sometimes, then it got to be 1-4, then 2-3, then 0-7, and it got to be that I went to davids house 3 times and I only played him in melee for like 20 rounds over that time span. And the only reason I played Devon as long as I did is because they were short a computer.

Then, we played a lot for a few weeks, but after Steph's graduation/school got out for others/summer

We didn't play organized games for like 3-5 weeks.

We are kinda starting to do it again, but LOL is crack.

There's a tournament that got cancelled today due to people not wanting to go and various other johns.

Some of them somewhat valid.

However, there's a local that's next weekend and I think that is happening for sure. I'm gonna be there and I think brawlers (I assume you play melee) from OOS are coming but there is a chance that one of the Brawl players might bring some quality melee players from KS.

And FC was announced so maybe after this local people will play games again and commit.

I think if someone new to the scene came back and started out kicking all of our ***** it might get us to play more. Or less. idk.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Maybe, I think instead of us actually "playing" I need people to just throw moves at me so I can practice WDOOS and things like that.

We talked, like a year ago, about having a MELEE SCHOOL night, and it never happened.

I realize I'm pretty advanced, but I still suck at everything new to the game past 04/05.

Can't teach a fat lazy old cat new tricks.

Even in mm1 :/

But, the point is, I guess I could play vs the computer and set it to attack, but I won't really learn like that, because you don't learn how to deal with Mix ups well.

Jace08

Smash Lord
Nobody stands a chance in melee in omaha anymore. i'm convinced.
:( I disagree. Last time I played you all, everyone seemed really solid to me. Tyser especially has really been improving in the last 6 months or so imo

Rob I agree that there are certainly tons of things in melee that can only be learned by playing other people, but I feel like you've shorted yourself somewhat when it comes to tech skill. There's still quite a bit out there to practice where you don't need other people. Wavedash OoS is definitely a good example.

I may have mentioned something like this before, but you should practice all the sheik tricks by yourself for sure. Things like her up b ledge stall, her run off the edge to up b ledge grab, etc, are pretty important and will really make a difference in your game. It's of course super boring because it's just you by yourself doing it over and over again, but that's the only way to get comfortable with these techniques and improve your game

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
:( I disagree. Last time I played you all, everyone seemed really solid to me. Tyser especially has really been improving in the last 6 months or so imo

Rob I agree that there are certainly tons of things in melee that can only be learned by playing other people, but I feel like you've shorted yourself somewhat when it comes to tech skill. There's still quite a bit out there to practice where you don't need other people. Wavedash OoS is definitely a good example.

I may have mentioned something like this before, but you should practice all the sheik tricks by yourself for sure. Things like her up b ledge stall, her run off the edge to up b ledge grab, etc, are pretty important and will really make a difference in your game. It's of course super boring because it's just you by yourself doing it over and over again, but that's the only way to get comfortable with these techniques and improve your game
I mean, I just want someone to sit there and play as like marth/samus, someone with a huge/fast swipe move and practice running up to it and shielding it and WD into grab/d-smash. I can wavedash going to the left almost perfectly but I struggle with the right. And I can do fun wavelanding stuff, I just never think about doing it lol.

Like crouch cancelling, I only think about that **** when I'm pissed off at my opponent for doing it to me. If I thought about CC more, I'd probably win 20% more.

A lot of it is that I don't have the mindset to think about those things because I guess I haven't been trained in the same way most of you guys have, I was thrown into the pit of despair and I was able to climb out without gaining Advanced Tech Tech skill. I mean, spacing, DI and knowing when to do stuff is tech skill imo.

I want to practice doing break the targets but you can't use the C-stick in 1P mode which is stupid but to only focus on WD/WL it'd be fine.

Also edge guarding is easily one of the worst parts of my game in terms of actually grabbing the ledge, and kind of gimping too.

I don't mind practicing, but I also want us to travel OOS and stuff so I'm not just taking my friends money lol, since no non-KS OOS threats want to come here and only you seem to want to travel as far as KS people anymore.

And that's okay, most of those guys have serious jobs and stuff now and are 25+ and as Z puts it they have put in so much time that you kind of feel bad asking them to travel now.

Especially if I suck.

All this confidence because he beats Nims on a regular basis. HAHAHAHAHA!
Dude, Nims plays Falco and he beats me more/on par with the rest of you guys. I'd be happy if I beat him on a regular basis because he still tries to beat me.

Falco is sheiks 2nd worst matchup to Ice Climbers.

resTy

Smash Champion
Your problem is that your main goal is to win when you should be trying to get good instead. It's been this way ever since you entered our Smash scene. You're trying to skip steps and that's why you aren't good. Plain and simple. Practice in your room, think about your character and how the game works, then play us and apply your knowledge. Learning this game on the fly versus players of our caliber is going to get you no where. Of course, I'm just repeating myself. We've been telling you how to get good for a while now yet you refuse to hear us.

And for the record, I'm pretty sure I beat everybody in our state more than anyone in our state except maybe JBM. I squash this place, free of charge.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
That's words you should have given me long ago.

And I am specifically speaking about myself, I don't know peoples records vs people outside of tournament and recent ones at that.

Jace08

Smash Lord
^Tyser's right, but I would not say that you suck Rob. I think it's impressive that you do as well as you do without doing more advanced sheik stuff.

Practically speaking, wavedashing to the right, grabbing the edge in different ways (like neutral b turnaround), gimping, etc can all be learned by yourself. Being good at this game is all about being totally comfortable with your character. If you can do that kind of stuff in your sleep, you'll be waaaay better

don't practice on break the targets. Just play a level 1 computer a bunch and keep trying new things. Watch m2k vids and make sure you're comfortable doing everything he does. Again, it's boring but if you don't you're handicapping yourself!

resTy

Smash Champion
The thing is, we have told you to practice in the past. Not that we should have to; it should be common sense if you want to get better. I've pointed out two major flaws in your play in the past which is short hopping and wavedashing. I even told you face to face that you had to work on that months ago and I dunno if it went in one ear and out the other or what, but you haven't learned how to do either of them consistently. You have to practice, which I hear you don't ever do.

Other Smashers that I talk to tell me that you play Mega Man on your free time over Smash. If this is true, essay-posts about your shortcomings shouldn't even be written. It should be obvious why you aren't improving as quickly as I, as well as everyone else, expected you to for months/years now.

I'll give you some credit though, you've definitely become a smarter player in terms of patience but everything else is so basic that I can't say much more than that. You got a lot of potential but not enough drive.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Short Hopping I do just fine Tyser, for like a month....and megaman helped :)

Seriously, there was this part where there was this jump and I kept ****ing it up over and over and over and over and eventually I got it down.

I picked up melee and it's like I can sh with sheik a lot better now.

But no, you are right, but I have tried to wavedash and stuff like that vs the cpu before and I can't apply stuff like that to actual players, I mean when I'm playing vs people lower than me on the hypothetical PR I usually try and work on tech skill, but here's the deal.

I neeeevvvvveeeerrrr play vs people worse than me. People more on my level, mike and majik, would wreck me if I practiced doing that to them. and trying to do new stuff vs Yosh gets me down.

Honestly, I should probably go to Lincoln and play vs those guys and just work on techskill sometime and not worry about losing and just doing it right.

Also

Your problem is that your main goal is to win when you should be trying to get good instead. It's been this way ever since you entered our Smash scene. You're trying to skip steps and that's why you aren't good.
was what I meant, you should have put things in that context, the rest is just stuff I have heard or know myself.

resTy

Smash Champion
I have yet to notice the short hops. I'll pay extra close attention if I ever play Smash with you fellas again. The thing I see the most is full jump out of shield into Nair/Bair. Then when/if you miss, you usually throw Fair/Bair on your way down, regardless of your position. I guess the only time I notice short hops is when you Tomahawk. I literally have never seen you SHFFL Fair/Bair as a form of pressure, which is a pretty standard tactic that Sheik players do.

Here's a tip for practicing by yourself. This doesn't work for everyone as it can get boring as fuck, but for me it was extremely effective:

Plug in a second controller and just play against nobody. Just leave the controller on the floor as a random character. I do this because a CPU is gonna be an asshole and hit me if I wanna practice wavedashing and all the bare basics.

Now, just wavedash and do all the other junk you need to know. Do it for literally hours on end. If you wanna be less obsessive about it, a few minutes a day should suffice. This is just so that the motion becomes second nature. Applying it in a real match is going to be a lot different but all those hours spent will pay off when you start to think about using your new tech. You're gonna get fucked up in games for a little bit, but through enough experience, you'll learn the timing of when you can and can't wavedash [oos]. Over time, this shit is as easy as breathing.

That's how I learned it. Hella common sense, but if you absolutely NEED a run through of how to practice this game the Tyser way, there you go.

tl;dr: Practice by yourself, not with a CPU. This is the Tyser way.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbgR29W_X_o.

Not specifically shiek, but it still applies. Particularly the "solo whole map to yourself" bit. I haven't done it yet, but have been working around to it.

Also, Im looking for more effective training tips. I know doing this is number 1, be as technically profiecient as can be. How would you guys suggest practicing DI, smash DI, and teching? Without a human... The cpu is random and wont combo, so I feel i'll always do no0b things till I basically keep playing tournament and figuring it out the hard way...

:phone:

Top Bottom