• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's worst match-up?

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Hey guys.

Im here to ask you who you think Olimar's worst match-up is.

Ive heard MK because most of his moves shake off the pikmin...

opinions? other?

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I would say "Sonic" as well. Seems like he's got a way to be effectively offensive while attacking the pikmin, something not many other characters have.

Others...hm...Bowser's fortress would shake 'em off and I'm sure it doesn't leave him exposed. I'm sure this thread will become more lively after a few tournaments.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
ya, but the spacies, sonic, and bowser really dont interest me all that much... do you confirm that MK would do good against olmar?

I should clarify. I do not main Olimar.
My friend does.
I main DDD.
and he kicks my ***.
I belive Olimar is the worst match-up for DDD, no way to approach.
so im looking for a secondary.
MK caught my eye.
good choice?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
However, Olimar's red Pikmin are strong and immune to fire. Charizard cannot counter those with Firebreath. Does Charizard have other effective strategies against the Pikmin?

GenG

Smash Lord
I have a lot of trouble fighting my friend's Metaknight, too fast on approaches and doesn't let you move freely. I think Olimar can compete as long he has enough room to space his attacks.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
I have a lot of trouble fighting my friend's Metaknight, too fast on approaches and doesn't let you move freely. I think Olimar can compete as long he has enough room to space his attacks.

olimar is very good at a distance but he can still hold his own in a close range match, his pikmin gives him longer smash reach that comes out faster than marth (so ive heard) so i say olimar can still hold his on against a MK

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Mario wins because of fireballs. Sure, if they get all reds, they're fine, but how often will that happen?
Fireballs? That doesn't sound right. So would that mean any character with a projectile will be a bad match up for P&O? If one small fireball already means bad news for P&O, that would make them the weakest character in the game for being vulnerable to ALL opponents and items (seeing as most characters have similar powers, or at least they can with items).

kafke

Smash Apprentice
I think either, Bowser or Sonic. But I haven't played, It just seems like those too would murdify the poor pikmin.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
ya, fireballs wouldnt hurt olimars game at all.
olmar can outspam anybody, anyone who relies on projectiles will get spanked.

MK, would shake pikmin off with all of his specials, can get in olmars grill real quick, and get olmir off the ledge to gimp the tether recovery.

unless anyone has a reason why MK would ba a less then ideal choice, im gonna go with him.

Fiz

Smash Apprentice
this thread makes Olimar low tier XD, seriously you can't really know what are his bad match ups, the game isn't even out in the US...
I hate playing against Marth and PT , although maybe I don't use the right strategy, and I don't see why MK counters him, he has poor KO ability and the downfall of Olimar is his recovery.

Meh, we will just have to wait and see how the meta game will develop

I.T.P

Smash Ace
this thread makes Olimar low tier XD, seriously you can't really know what are his bad match ups, the game isn't even out in the US...
I hate playing against Marth and PT , although maybe I don't use the right strategy, and I don't see why MK counters him, he has poor KO ability and the downfall of Olimar is his recovery.

Meh, we will just have to wait and see how the meta game will develop
yeah, I allways give Fiz trouble with marth and PT, and I did ok with Ike and Dedede.

peach doesn't work against olimar though, he range whores her

Ryan-K

Smash Master
anyone can gimp tether recoveries just grab the edge lol

I think some of you give flamethrowers and projectiles too much credit lol olimars fair fsmash and grab are some of his best moves so he can fight up close.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
anyone can gimp tether recoveries just grab the edge lol

I think some of you give flamethrowers and projectiles too much credit lol olimars fair fsmash and grab are some of his best moves so he can fight up close.
exactly what i am trying to say lots of people is thinking that olimar only can throw projectiles and thats it. olimar throwing pikmin is only one of his moves/abilites, he can still add dmg really fast with his smash attacks, plus he has the farthest fsmash and grab in the game and at that both of them can kill

his backwards grab/throw can kill people :)

thats another good thing for olimar b/c there is a very few charcters that there throw/grab can kill

Ryan-K

Smash Master
In fact I think his pikmin throw is overrated :/

I don't think it's all that great, except when whites do all the damage when the opponent doesnt attack or something and it's a decent spamming move but it only stuns with purples who don't go that far and it doesn't seem all that fast to me.

Pyrogamer

Smash Journeyman
I think Diddy is a pretty tough matchup, and i havent fought one (cuz ive been using her too much) but i bet ZSS is a big challenge

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
you guys know you can just negate pikmin damage by shielding or shake them off with an airdodge spot dodge or roll sometimes too right?

Brainslug7

Smash Cadet
ya i think peach because she has the feared d-smash to shake off pikmin and kill ones left behind and turnips just own lol

Drumma_Boi

Smash Ace
I do think faster characters like metaknight and sonic would be the ideal problems. also maybe even marth. Tho I could see in the long run pikmin players just having to adapt by playing less spammy and more smart and choosing your attacks more carefully. Since u cant hit these people too easily and cling pikmin to them for the extra damage, then possibly short hopping a nair for the multi hit would throw off a faster player trying to run behind u to get a grab like sonic. Either way Oli/Pikmin are looking to be a really good character and it makes me happy for Nintendo to have done so well with his design.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Other characters that use moves with disjointed hitboxes will be a challenge. As far as I can tell pikmin themselves have very little priority, and when met with other disjointed hitboxes (eg swords hammers etc) the pikmin don't stand a chance. Notice in the marth games how a typical Fair approach is immune to latch, every thrown pikmin is simply batted away usually without even altering their timing.

Latch probably is a little overrated at the moment superryan, if your only looking at it for its damage done in a match. Throwing however is much more important than the damage it directly causes, think of the way peach uses her turnips competatively. If you need more explanation see post 23 of "Is Olimer too powerful?"

Both for damage and anticipation however, a disjointed hitbox that easily dispatches pikmin removes both advantages, and will likely cause Olimer the most trouble. So Marth, MetaKnight, Toon Link, Link, Pit if those short swords are disjointed, Ike if he can swing his sword quickly, DeDeDe if hammer attacks become staple, Ice climbers same deal as DeDeDe.

-True

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
no, not true.

DDDs hammer is not fast enough for the pikmin.he can hit them some with his Ftilt, but then olimar just jumps and puts three more on my face.

Hammydude

Smash Rookie
MK blocks the pikman being thrown with his sword, not to mention he can use the same attack to shake off/ kill them. Seems like it would depend on the style of player to determine who would be omliar's worst enemy in the game, but a good MK player seems to be the most dangerous.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
He also has a 0-death combo, right, Zenjamin? lolololololol

Nah, I dunno if D3 would do too well against Olimar.
LOL.
STFU Zeal.

Textbook was trying that combo against someone who really isnt verry good compared to TBNJ.

i played him and since he now knows that that paticular combo doesnt really work... but i can tell you that he is mad good for how long he has played.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Ah fair enough, honestly I know very little apart from a general moveset of The Ds', but was basing it off of my disjointed hitbox theory. In no way do I mind shortening the list of tough opponents for Oli. Unfortunate to hear about the textbook combo, but if you've glanced at M2K's top tier guess in the general forum, apparently he has found, or someone has found against him, a legitimate chain throw using Olimer, certainly an exciting bit of info for those still waiting to play.

-True

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Marth probably gives him the hardest time.

He's extra long hitbox is still bigger than Olimar's (and very fast moving)

And well... Marth is Marth.

SKEET SHADY

Smash Journeyman
Marth probably gives him the hardest time.

He's extra long hitbox is still bigger than Olimar's (and very fast moving)

And well... Marth is Marth.
Agreed. I'm going to have to say Marth/MK/Wolf are Olimar's worst matchups. Wolf is the only character besides... Charizard to kill pikmin so fast.

I say Marth, from what i have seen his sword is swift enough to block ->B pikmin thrown (which is one of his better attacks) and not suffer from any lag. Link and MetaKnight can do this similarly but Marth's speed makes him the best at it.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
LOL.
STFU Zeal.

Textbook was trying that combo against someone who really isnt verry good compared to TBNJ.

i played him and since he now knows that that paticular combo doesnt really work... but i can tell you that he is mad good in Durango for how long he has played.
Fix'd

lololololololol

Also, Sonic really does kill Pikmin the fastest. One spin, and they're all off him.

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
Have you played at all? The Sonic you're playing must suck pretty terribly if he's getting ***** by your aerials. Seriously, bair? Fair is also easy to avoid, dair is meh. Uair and nair are a little scarier, but when it gets bad, you can just springboard out. Olimar has trouble covering a space similar to Sheik's needle zone, in reverse.

Example:
.........../
......../
...../
O

Really horrible diagram, but he has problems covering the diagonals, particularly right above him. Also, Sonic KILLS Pikmin. I'm not sure if you follow, but I've managed to stay on Olimar enough so he rarely has more than 3 pikmin at any given time. Combine that with Olimar's poor recovery, and Sonic's good edgegame, and, guess what? Sonic has an advantage. People just need to learn how to fight Olimar, seriously.

EDIT: This is Zeal

Top Bottom