• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's Popularity

yotipo91

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1907-9314-9317
I'm fairly new to Brawl, but had Melee back in 2003. I'm nothing special, so I came to this community when I had the sudden urge to get better and maybe get some advice. I was seeking Olimar help because out of nowhere I felt like making him my main.

I was surprised to see that Olimar has the most threads out of all the character discussions. I thought he'd be one of the least popular. Does anyone else main Olimar? Do you think he has any potential?

Cinder

Smash Master
The thing about Oli is that he has decent combos, but has an easy to gimp recovery...from what I've seen, he's doing fairly well in tournaments, maybe mid-tier...I haven't played Brawl in a while, so I'm not sure I can give you but so much advice, but anything to help a friend ^_^...I have a vid of me playing Matt, but it was on the first day we had the game, so I dunno how helpful it would be...

Off-topic: how's it goin'? Haven't seen you since I graduated...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Really? he's that popular? I thought he wouldn't be, but hey, that's great. Maybe we'll discover an Olimar AT someday.

yotipo91

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1907-9314-9317
Oh hey :0, been awhile. I wish I could play Brawl more often, but the Wii's at my mom's and I can only play on weekends.. and the downstair TV lags, but I can't convince them to move it upstairs -_-; Oh and any vid would help! I would love to get better with Olimar xD

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Least popular with the 'known' players. I played M2K and he didn't know how to get latch off during a friendly with him. :/

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I was surprised to see that Olimar has the most threads out of all the character discussions. I thought he'd be one of the least popular. Does anyone else main Olimar? Do you think he has any potential?

You thought he'd be one of the least popular????????
That's a sin.

jokes welcome to the Olimar forums

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
the bad recovery is a huge, immediate turn off to Olimar. think of it this way, if you had to pick one character to win with and it didn't matter which one, you probably wouldn't pick Olimar. I'm the only person I know in real life (not fake computer life) that plays with him at all. People have to be convinced that he's powerful and that the recovery could be worked around before they will even consider him a playable character, and that can take a long time.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
very true. the peeps in the tier discussion thread think he has the worst recovery in the game. I'm not too sure about that though. Wolf's and Sheik's seem much worse.

Organous

Smash Apprentice
The fact that he is practially all "projectile" in a sense is very entertaining, but because it's a different element than we're typically used to in this environment, I don't really find many players. He's the guy we all love to hate even more than Luigi, and I've affectionately nicknamed him Violent ****** Flakes. :D

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
I have fond memories of the first month or so of brawl when you'd scroll down the character thread list and every one would show a thread begging for help against Olimar. Now, not so much. People just don't get the concept of having to mindgame your recovery. But in general, his UpB is quickly becoming one one of my favorite moves because of its range and versatility. It can be so offensive and so I would (almost) hesitate to say that I'd trade it for a different move.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
A different recovery? I use the UpB in most of my combo's. It just feels so good to hit your enemy once more when he/she thinks "now he can't reach me". :)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Olimar has a lot of threads because in the beginning all the people making topics "OMFG how do I beat this character?"

As far as actual popularity is concerned, I only know 2 other Olimar mains in my region who are any good (sorry if i'm forgetting about you or haven't played vs. you), compared with 100 or so Snakes...

Bombco101

Smash Journeyman
lulz, I can still remember when he was first announced, a bunch of people thought he would suck, or didn't know him at all.

I on the other hand, played him as my first character, and he is still my main.

Hashire Kazemeijin

Smash Cadet
I've been a Olimar main since before Brawl was released, back when he was first announced. I even used him in the pre-release tournament that Gamestop had. [got 3rd...] I think I qualify as slightly above average since I have a decent win streak in online PUGS, and have beaten all but 1 of my friends in 1v1 with Olimar. [Lost to Wario.]

Top Bottom