• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimars B-Up Discovery

Pokerface

Smash Apprentice
I've searched through the threads and havent found one related to this.

I don't know if it's important but if your recovering with about 3 or 4 pikmin and cant DI close enough to grab the edge just throw your pikmin because with no pikmin you get a tiny bit of vertical distance and you can grab the edge from quite far away

cHiCkEN_TeNdErS

Smash Apprentice
hahaha, I love to give you a hard time :chuckle:

but that is in this guide
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=144161

Option 1:
When Olimar uses his U-B he gets a slight boost similar to Yoshi's U-B. You can sometimes use that slight boost to get over the edge. Given how much air time characters have in Brawl and how difficult it can be to actually accomplish re-ordering and hitting someone with a purple pikmin, this is usually your best bet.

Pokerface

Smash Apprentice
No it isnt i have read that guide. I am saying if you below the edge. And have about 3 or 4 pikmin but arnt close enough to tether. You can throw your pikmin use your B-Up then DI towards the stage and grab it

showmeyagoose

Smash Cadet
do you mean against edgehoggers?
is the vertical lift any different than if you had pikmin?
oh, you mean since you have no pikmin you dont home in on the edge right....yeah, i dont know if i would do that unless i felt it would work

Pokerface

Smash Apprentice
what i mean is if you have no pikmin, you have more of a chance of grabbing the stage, then say 3 or 4 pikmin. Because is you Up B with pikmin and miss the edge your screwed. But if you Up B without any then you can DI towards the stage and grab it depending on how far you are away

Looper

Smash Journeyman
what i mean is if you have no pikmin, you have more of a chance of grabbing the stage, then say 3 or 4 pikmin. Because is you Up B with pikmin and miss the edge your screwed. But if you Up B without any then you can DI towards the stage and grab it depending on how far you are away
so we should throw all of our pikmin first, use pikmin chain, then move towards the ledge and grab it?

Pokerface

Smash Apprentice
3 or 4, sometimes 4. if you use the tether and DI towards the stage with pikmin then you wont be able to grab it if your pikmin cant reach, but if you dont have any pikmin you can DI towards the stage and grab the edge.

Ill try to post some low quality videos, maybe.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
hmm, i see that happening. instead of olimar shooting straight at the edge and falling immediately, u could maybe DI upwards or left... wait, nvm. Weeeeel u can always DI using u-b and get the same effect. Plus the pikmen should have a longer range than your body. I'll test it out and edit this post if it turns out you're right.

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
what he is saying is that if you have 4 pikmin they'll angle wrong and not grab the edge but if u throw them and use ur up-b without them you will get a tiny boost to help u grab the ledge

Pokerface

Smash Apprentice
It depends how close you are to the stage. Ill try and get some videos up. Basically if you have 3 or 4 pikmin but arnt close enough to the stage to grab with your tether and you need a tiny boost. throw your pikmin and up b you get a bit of vertical distance and you are able to DI towards the stage and grab the edge.

Mani

Smash Cadet
I think I get what your saying, but a video would be much appreciated....this does seem useful

whisperingtears

Smash Apprentice
Dont the pikmin auto sweetspot the edge? it just dosent make sense to me, why get rid of pikmen when you realy on them?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Basically, there is a rare situation where Pikmin will be dead weight working against Olimar's Up-B.

Mirite?

keeper

Smash Champion
You get an upward boost when you use the chain and aren't going to grab the ledge whether you have Pikmin or not. I use this all the time for the sake of attacks and movement, not much for recovering except when they ledgehog.

Pikklz

Smash Rookie
While I was trying to replicate this (I'm still not sure what to do), I found out that you can only do three up-bs without touching the ground until it fails completely. Basically, after the third grab onto the edge, any further attempts to up-b will result in complete failure, even if you're right next to the edge. You don't even get a mini-boost. However, landing on the ground resets this counter.

I don't know what this could be used for, maybe just for knowing how much you can ledgehog or something. Or for knowing that you're definitely boned after you get hit off the edge three times, since you can't even double jump.

Raisinbran10488

Smash Cadet
^^ If its been known for awhile, obviously its only a select few. Because everybody here is confused. Let me try and help out.

Weve all been in the situation hes talking about. Knocked off the stage with a handful of pikmin, you get down to the usual tether spot, hit your up-B and it stops just short of the ledge. And you plummet helplessly to your death while screaming "WTF I SHOULDA GRABBED THAT!!!!". Whats hes saying is instead of a futile UP-B attempt with pikmin, toss them before you get close to the stage, and use your up-b then. The result is a little bit better of a boost, and more control over its direction. Meaning you have more a chance of getting closer to the ledge with both vertical and horizontal distances.

The problem with this though, is it would take quick prediction of wether you can reach with pikmin or not, because you would have to start throwing early in your recovery otherwise youd still be throwing pickmin while you fall through the bottom of the screen.

dmauro

Smash Cadet
Interesting, I had never considered this, but I can definitely picture plenty of instances when this would have helped me. The problem would be getting rid of your pikmin quickly enough.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Raisin, good explanation. i only find it helpful if i have 3 or less pikmen. if i've got more then, it's better to use the latch.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Yup, 'tis true. Now I only need to find a way when to and when not to throw them away >.<

Pokerface

Smash Apprentice
^^ If its been known for awhile, obviously its only a select few. Because everybody here is confused. Let me try and help out.

Weve all been in the situation hes talking about. Knocked off the stage with a handful of pikmin, you get down to the usual tether spot, hit your up-B and it stops just short of the ledge. And you plummet helplessly to your death while screaming "WTF I SHOULDA GRABBED THAT!!!!". Whats hes saying is instead of a futile UP-B attempt with pikmin, toss them before you get close to the stage, and use your up-b then. The result is a little bit better of a boost, and more control over its direction. Meaning you have more a chance of getting closer to the ledge with both vertical and horizontal distances.

The problem with this though, is it would take quick prediction of wether you can reach with pikmin or not, because you would have to start throwing early in your recovery otherwise youd still be throwing pickmin while you fall through the bottom of the screen.
Thanks for the explanation. I'll try get a video of it soon.

I'll call it the Pokerface up B ;) (jkz)

Vayseth

Smash Master
Best bet is to save your jump, use a forward air or up air to knock them off the edge (I'd prefer an up air, since the hit box is active for like, ever) and then immediately up B to get back on the level. It's super effective.

Switching pikmin in the air is kind of dumb, since you have to fast fall every time you do it. You're better off DIing towards the level, jumping and then trying to do an aerial.

chainsaw2x333

Smash Cadet
Best bet is to save your jump, use a forward air or up air to knock them off the edge (I'd prefer an up air, since the hit box is active for like, ever) and then immediately up B to get back on the level. It's super effective.

Switching pikmin in the air is kind of dumb, since you have to fast fall every time you do it. You're better off DIing towards the level, jumping and then trying to do an ariale.
dude thats a real good defense against edgehoggers...i wish i would have known that earlier, good stuff man

shrinkray21

Smash Ace

Switching pikmin in the air is kind of dumb, since you have to fast fall every time you do it. You're better off DIing towards the level, jumping and then trying to do an aerial.
Switching pikmin in the air is not dumb if you jump as you use your down b, you can cancel the auto fastfall. However, you should know how many whistles you are from a purple and do it before you level out or you will fastfall.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
to piggyback off of shrink, u should probably make sure your 1 to 2 whistles away from a purple when you get at high damages, like i'd probably try to be two away around maybe 90% and one whistle for 100% plus at all times if doable........

lain

Smash Master
Vayseth is still top tier LOL

Sounds interesting. A good tip for some situations. Usually though, your opponent will try and make sure they're on the ledge so you can't do anything.

This means that you must actively and quickly decide whether or not to save your double jump and attack them when you get to the edge so you can grab it, or decide that they won't get there in time/completely guess they won't grab the ledge. In which case totally go for it lol.

Again, interesting but I can't see it being favored over the aggressive route of getting back. I see no negative points to being aggressive while coming back, WITH an Up+b that can hit people on the ledge if they wait too long (as opposed to maybe ****ing up and being helpless with no hitbox to utilize out of your up+b.)

Plus, even if you utilize this to get on to the stage instead, imagine being thrown off the stage with no pikmin. Delightful.

Top Bottom