• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Video Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
My favorite so far is the Oliamr vs. Yoshi vid. It really shows off the strategy at wok when using Olimar in a one-on-one battle.

Keep up the great work IlldR. Oh, and let me know if you happen to find any new footage of the new Windwaker stage (besides the Toon Link vs. Ganondorf one.)

IllidR

Smash Champion
My favorite so far is the Oliamr vs. Yoshi vid. It really shows off the strategy at wok when using Olimar in a one-on-one battle.

Keep up the great work IlldR. Oh, and let me know if you happen to find any new footage of the new Windwaker stage (besides the Toon Link vs. Ganondorf one.)
Thanks, I will definitely let you know. And any of the 1v1's really highlight Olimar's strategy because you can't simply spam and be successful.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hdDPFvNAjTU
Olimar gameplay starts at 3:20
It's an event match, I can't figure out what the goal is though
I'm 99% sure that the challenge is survive until your pikmin mature. I've noticed in other videos as well, but to get your pikmin to flower form, all you have to do is have them survive, which means the less you let your pikmin die, the stronger they'll become overall, if they keep that same mechanic as from the games. Can't tell right now. Don't know if there are any ways to speed up the maturity process either.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
There's probably no way to speed up the process.

BUT, this IS something interesting to look into. Quite a few of Melee's event matches were structured to teach you the ins and outs of gameplay - how to kill an enemy quickly (as in under seven seconds), how to read an attacking opponent (when they're so big your moves won't stun, so it's about not getting hit instead of langing hits), avoiding and spacing an opponent (which happened to involve toting an egg around a flying ship and magical floating/swinging platforms), how to look for weakness in an opponent's strategy (only Zelda KOs count) - and I see they've stuck with that in Brawl. Teaching players that some characters change over time (weaker/stronger) and forcing them to develope a method for allowing that to happen. In our happy little Olimar's case, you need to optimize attacks in the interest of Pikmin preservation, that way this character can truely shine later in his stock.

This is not a unique concept, Trainer's poke'mon weaken and must be exchanged, Lucario's damage and knockback follow a formula so he becomes more potent as damage increases, but it is interesting nonetheless. Pikmin maturation...they grow up so fast. -sniffles, then wishes they were plucked ready instead-

IllidR

Smash Champion

DiscoShark

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02OWyRiWGXI

Apparently there was some DeVry Brawl Tournament and a quick search (and I mean quick, I just typed olimar in the search bar through his total videos) and came up with a hit. It's another Yoshi vs. Olimar but set on Final Destination, 1v1. I wouldn't be surprised if there was atleast one more Olimar video in his channel.

The quality is terrible but it's something.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Updated with some new videos.

Discoshark, nice find with those tournament videos, I'll search through them later for more Olimar footage or post if you find any more in there. Although I must say the start of that Yoshi vs. Olimar video was pretty bad, learn to play before the match starts.

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman

IllidR

Smash Champion
Yigguth is just full of great things today. Nice videos, updated the front page with them.

Anyway, how is everyone liking the organization of the videos? Is there anything you'd like to see done to make it better?

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman
Less empty space would be nice. I like the formatting in this video thread. Organizing them by match type would be easier too, and personally it doesn't really matter to me what stage they play on. So maybe something like,

SSE Footage
  • *link here* (video description)
1v1
Free for Alls
Other

Or something like that. Simpler is better in my opinion :)

IllidR

Smash Champion
Less empty space would be nice. I like the formatting in this video thread. Organizing them by match type would be easier too, and personally it doesn't really matter to me what stage they play on. So maybe something like,

SSE Footage
1v1
Free for Alls
Other

Or something like that. Simpler is better in my opinion :)
I definitely do like that video thread's format, it is very nice except I feel like ours would get too cluttered at the moment because we don't have really any player specific Olimar matches.

I'll definitely keep it in consideration; however, in the mean time, I'd love to hear some other people's opinions.

!Boom!

Smash Journeyman
Just my opinion, but i never really cared what stages characters were on. If i had made a compilation of videos, id sort them by character match-ups, but not having a lot of videos at the moment might not make it the best option right now.

ShumPenPo

Smash Apprentice
There hasnt been much discussion going on and we need all the info we can get! So i thought id point out something.

A 7 Minute video of Olimar vs. Diddy Kong. Great Quality and it really outlines the usefulness of
that pikmin chain.
Edit: Oops, forgot the link.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Zu0tEnQCt0
In this video i learned two some things
1: In the beginnign he starts with a yellow pikmin (during the 3 sec countdown) and then picks a purple pikmin at 7 seconds. At 0:23 seconds you can see the yellow pikmin has a white bud. Then at 0:27 seconds the purple pikmin has a pink bud. It gets a little confusing with the yellow pikmin because he has 2 and kills one. Soon the quality doesnt look so great around 44-46 seconds (which is where one would predict that a bud would become a flower) BUT at 0:51 seconds you can clearly see that the purple pikmin has turned into a flower. After you can see that the yellow pikmin also has become a flower(but this was probably before the purple). Doing a little math the yellow took approximately 20 seconds to become a bud and the purple took approximately 20 seconds to become a bud. Then going on the purple pikmin it took approximately 24 seconds to go from bud to flower. Now from this i can see that it takes around 20-23 seconds to change forms. (Leaf->Bud->Flower)

2: At 1:40 he throws a purple pikmin off the stage then does the pikmin call. This does not bring the flying pikmin back to him so aparently you cant call them back before they land on something. (No throwing as youre recovering then call them before doing an UP+B)

Now if i had the game these could be easily tested but hey a little speculation combined with analyzation doesnt hurt :laugh:

IllidR

Smash Champion
Just my opinion, but i never really cared what stages characters were on. If i had made a compilation of videos, id sort them by character match-ups, but not having a lot of videos at the moment might not make it the best option right now.
This is good, I always like input.. so keep it coming guys on the format of the first page. I too, am now thinking against by stage categorization but we don't have enough videos to have that great of a format.

I'd still like to hear some more opinions.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
Looking at other points of the video, I think you are right about the 20 seconds per mature period.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
hi guys i am 100% sure that im going to main olimar, here is another vid i found to help u guys out, i just want to join the olimar club with you guys when brawl comes out we should practice together and get better i hope that olimar is going to be a realy good character but not overused and so far he seems insanely strong if u learn how to master him but here is the vid ill try and help u guys some more :)

im also trying to learn olimar for competitive play btw and be different from the crowd. So if he becomes overused there is a high chance i would switch like i did in melle. i used to be a C.falcon but then i switched to pikachu and won 2 tournies with him, but with olimar i hope to win many more thx thou i will try to help u guys out as much as i can even thou i dnt have the game.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X5HHJzaS94s&feature=user

IllidR

Smash Champion
Watch out for the few water levels out there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2-zGfVEXlI

Blue pikmin have grown in importance from more than being standard knockback with smashes. They also still breathe underwater.
The growing importance on water levels definitely presents a problem for Olimar. These stages with water will most likely become the counter-pick stages against Olimar because of their Pikmin destroying properties.

Also, updated with new videos. Again, I desire some more feedback on how the front page should be organized.

IllidR

Smash Champion

ShumPenPo

Smash Apprentice
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JodYWDUxprI

*WATCH 0:50 - 1:00 closely!
He gets around marth's edgehog by doing a footstool jump! More possibilities to getting around gimping his UP+B!

also in reguards to some tips on the layout, if you're gonna list the videos by stages you should put the stages in alphabetical order, makes it easier to find.

IllidR

Smash Champion
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JodYWDUxprI

*WATCH 0:50 - 1:00 closely!
He gets around marth's edgehog by doing a footstool jump! More possibilities to getting around gimping his UP+B!

also in reguards to some tips on the layout, if you're gonna list the videos by stages you should put the stages in alphabetical order, makes it easier to find.
Well, if Olimar is close enough to the ledge to footstool jump a guy who is hogging the edge, then he wouldn't need his Up-B. We're talking about those situations where the only way you can get back is with the chain and there is someone there performing the edge hog.

And I'll definitely put the stages in alphabetical order for now, didn't even think of that... but I'd still like a different way to organize the matches.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Wow...that 1v1 video vs Fox (high-grav FD)...at around 2:47, Fox is at 81% and gets destroyed by something. Can anyone make out what it is? I'd guess Fair with a purple pikmin, but it's hard to tell.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
You can try to organize them based on game mode (1v1, FFA, or teams, items or no items) and other types of options.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
You can try to organize them based on game mode (1v1, FFA, or teams, items or no items) and other types of options.
That sounds like an excellent idea. Organize by mode...and then maybe character matchup (alphabetical)? So you'd have Olimar vs Bowser, Olimar vs Captain Falcon, Olimar vs Diddy, etc all the way down, then start again with 2v2, FFA...or however you wanted to do it. But character matchups will be important later on down the road, so it might not be such a bad idea to organize them that way.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
this vid is the best ive seen olimars moves really close up and look closely at how much freakin dmg the white pikmen can do its freakin insane if u have two pikmin in the start of the match its like an automatic 100-110 dmg done if they stick on but its like 50-80 dmg on an actually moving opponet that amazing

olimar in the right hands = deadly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkSi-i9T7m4

TheSlyMoogle

Smash Rookie
Hmm... Nice video.

I agree with some of the stuff he says. Although I will say that the white pikmin aren't as good as you think, because if the opponent attacks or moves it will cause the pikmin to shake off. Normally you get about 24% damage if the white pikmin latches onto them.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... Nice video.

I agree with some of the stuff he says. Although I will say that the white pikmin aren't as good as you think, because if the opponent attacks or moves it will cause the pikmin to shake off. Normally you get about 24% damage if the white pikmin latches onto them.

i no thats y i said it will do like 50-80 if the opponet is moving which is like 99% chance that he is going to be moving but anyway 24 dmg from 1 pikmin is still alot regardless but thxs 4 the info anyway :)

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman
I went ahead and did all the work for you, all you have to do is copy my message. This really is a better way to organize the videos...

SSE Footage
1v1
FFA
Other

IllidR

Smash Champion
I went ahead and did all the work for you, all you have to do is copy my message. This really is a better way to organize the videos...
Well wow... I was going to get to that tonight, as I just got a free moment to do so, but it seems you wanted the reorganization really badly. Thank you very much for this, saved me a lot of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom