• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Strategies?

Sasum

Smash Rookie
I'm new to Brawl and I've been using Olimar.

I realize that I'm probably not doing the right moves at the right times.

I usually throw pikmin while waiting for the opponent to approach. If they approach in the air I usually either jump and perform an air attack or let them land and grab them or dash away. If the approach from the ground I f-smash or d-smash and if the opponent shields I grab them.

Is this bad or should I add anything to my strategy?

:phone:

IcyLight

Smash Lord
This kind of fighting game isn't as linear as that, if you have a set strategy you will get predictable and they will not get hit anymore.

Try mixing up aerials, running away, pivot grabbing. Don't do 1, mix it up and do all of them!

I suggest you head over to the video compendium and watch some videos to get some new ideas!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=283030

Sasum

Smash Rookie
I see. Thank you the response. If I stay to close to a strategy I won't be able to adapt to other situations. I've been battling people on fsmash.org and I've seen a definite improvement in my Marth and my Olimar.

Dnyce

Smash Master
I'm new to Brawl and I've been using Olimar.

I realize that I'm probably not doing the right moves at the right times.

I usually throw pikmin while waiting for the opponent to approach. If they approach in the air I usually either jump and perform an air attack or let them land and grab them or dash away. If the approach from the ground I f-smash or d-smash and if the opponent shields I grab them.

Is this bad or should I add anything to my strategy?
throw pikmin until you can forward smash or grab?

sounds like the perfect game-plan to me, but no one seems to listen to me here =p

IcyLight

Smash Lord
throw pikmin until you can forward smash or grab?

sounds like the perfect game-plan to me, but no one seems to listen to me here =p
and then you fight characters who you can't "just fsmash or grab"

Like Snake, and metaknight.

Dnyce

Smash Master
and then you fight characters who you can't "just fsmash or grab"

Like Snake, and metaknight.
I feel like it can be done to Snake, but I value your opinion since you have more experience with bizkit (I think) so I'll withhold from arguing that, lol.

Also, despite wanting to horizontally space wario, I don't think it works well vs him either.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
I feel like it can be done to Snake, but I value your opinion since you have more experience with bizkit (I think) so I'll withhold from arguing that, lol.

Also, despite wanting to horizontally space wario, I don't think it works well vs him either.
yeah, i fight bizkit and fatal allllll the time.

they can do any tilt through both our GRAB and FSMASH. Bizkit never lets me get a grab, unless i get him as he's landing from the air or by a very good mindgame/surprise.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Watch plenty of recently-added tournament videos to understand how the game's played, even if neither player's using Olimar. Also, if you're interested, check if there's any players in your location that are willing to meet up and practice.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
F-tilt beats everything.... I think I'll only go for pivot grabs now, that way I go for a grab, snake side dodge > f-tilt

RichBrown

Smash Master
Just keep moving, stay on the ground as much as possible, attack when you feel like rolling, don't shield every single time you wiff an attack, when they are in the air jump at them to scare them, then land and **** them, something like that. There's other things too but you'll figure them out eventually.

Removed By Request

Smash Journeyman
The real strategy comes in using the correct pikmin for his moves. For example, use a purple pikmin for fsmash, usmash, and dsmash, use a blue pikmin for grabs, a white pikmin for side+b, a red pikmin for aerials, a yellow pikmin for stuns, etc. Also note that certain pikmin can absorb other characters' attacks. A yellow pikmin will absorb electric attacks (most of pika's attacks, samus' b, etc.), a red pikmin will absorb fire-based attacks (charizard, mario's b, etc.), and a blue pikmin will absorb water-based attacks (squirtle's b).

Last edited:
Top Bottom