• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar requires no skill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirtle the Master

Smash Cadet
There are many characters that require no skill to use, but the character that by far requires no skill to use is Olimar. Sure it requires skill to be GOOD with him, it requires skill to be good with any character, but to use Olimar, it requires no skill. I've heard about Olimar spammers, but I've never fought one until a little while ago. It was a Wi-Fi match and Wi-Fi matches are gay cause they lag (and yes, I lost a ****load of matches due to the lag). What is wrong with Olimar, he is an even worse spammer than Pit, now thats saying something. Trust me, the Olimar user I fought just spammed Side Smash and Side B, thats it. And we all know Olimar has great range, so naturally, he beat me. If it was an in person match I would've ***** him, but lag is gay, anyway, I'm getting off topic. So I use Olimar, just to show him how annoying spamming i and he's using Olimar too, he No Contests, why? Because HE KNOWS all he does is spam. And before I go any further, he spams with EVERY character he uses, projectiles and smashes (probably all done by the c-stick, yes I use C-stick too but I use more than 2 moves). Anyway, so he uses Zelda (who he 2-stocked my main (Kirby) earlier due to lag and of course, spamming). I'm using Olimar, I start spamming (just to show him how annoying he is). And of course since he uses Olimar he knows how to counter right? Whenever I attack, he starts using his B to repel my Pikmin. Fortunately I outsmart him by SPAMMING grabs (he doesn't spam grabs, but he spams, I spammed, we're even). So I win, using a character I never use against a character that 2-stocked my main. Next match, he uses Lucas, we're fighting at Halberd, sure while he did win, I nearly beat him WITH A CHARACTER I NEVER USE. How? By spamming? How does he win? Spamming? What's the message I'm trying to get across? A kid who's never played before can probably win by using Olimar and jamming they're C-stick. Oh and btw, he did beat my Kirby in dittos, but how? SPAMMING. And due to lag, my moves were off-time. I did eventually manage to get him to use Kirby again and I ***** him. He was spamming stone so whenever he stoned all I had to do was smash as soon as he got out or just grab. At least he wasn't a bad sport. Although he's saying he D/C'd because his mother wanted the television back to normal. I doubt it. He was tired of getting spammed, same as me, but I don't D/C when I lose.

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
Spamming is the new wavedash.... you have to do it to better your chances of winning.

First of you immediately contradict yourself by saying Olimar needs skill to be good, but then Olimar needs no skill.

In that case Pikachu requires NO SKILL. Why? Thunder, Thundershock, Dsmash!!!!

I mean I can make the same case for every character.

edit: I finished reading your post and LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL..........

I mean Kirby/Zelda/Lucas now require no skill because apparently they spammed.

So why do you discriminate against Olimar? He beat you with Kirby via spamming, and Olimar via spamming.

So why not post a Kirby requires no skill board?

It seems your problem is dealing with spamming, not with Olimar.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
He's like a stray cat. If you feed him, he'll come back for more.

Squirtle the Master

Smash Cadet
Deathnote, there's a difference between using a character and being good with them. Also out of all the characters in the game, when they spam, Olimar is the most annoying. If you really did read my entire post, I beat a spammer with Olimar by SPAMMING. And I never use Olimar, yes out of all the characters' spamming, Olimar's is the most annoying. Did you see that later I ***** his Kirby. Spamming with Kirby isn't nearly as close as annoying as spamming with Olimar.

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
Umm you said he beat your Kirby by spamming... so he also won with a character he never used.

Therefore Kirby requires no skill.

Oh and tell me if Olimar requires no skill then why are Snake and MK winning all the tournies?

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Olimar is best at range. It is no surprise that this player chose to fight from a distance, seeing as how Olimar has better range than a nice amount of characters. Especially more close-up characters. I also don't see why you dislike players that keep opponents at bay. It's a common tactic. It's your fault for getting so close.

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
Oh but wait... Olimar has godly recovery

nevermind he is totally broken since he can't be gimped. :)

No but really if Olimar is so broken/cheap then why do Snake and MK win most of the tournies instead of Olimar?

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
According to the Match-up chart, Kirby has the advantage over Olimar. And now I'm gonna go lunatic.

If he constantly fSmashed and SideB'd and YOU KNOW, then you're - sorry - too stupid to walk right into it everytime. I mean, it's not even a trap he set up: you simply walk right into it, otherwise you wouldn't have been complaining.

I quote you now "If it was an in person match I would've ***** him". Then what are you complaining about? Random matches are crap, don't play random but play friends. And if you can't find friends or don't have any (perhaps, with your "these characters require no skill" attitude), then just get on GameFAQs or use the SWF Friend Finder. Seriously, random is crap. I could go on random now and win the game, simply by picking Ike and spamming his Smashes. Yet I don't, because random requires no skill.

Indeed, random matches require no skill and are of non importance. Important matches are always 1vs1 (tournaments, etc.) and do I have to quote you again? You would have beaten him with no problems.

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
Olimar

Broken RANGEEEE!!! HE CAN GET ME FROM 2 FAR AWAY AND I CANT DO ANYTHING!

IF I JUMP HE SHEILD AND GRABS

IF I STAND STILL HE THORWS PIKMINS?!!!!

IF I RUN HE GRABS!!!! OLIMAR IS GODLY AND WINS ALL TOUNRNIES UNLIKE SNAKE/MK!!!

Olimars RECOVERY IS BORKEN! HE CAN REVOER FROM TOO FAR AWAY AND ITS NOT FAIR!

MY GOD HIS FSMASH IS CHEAP... I WALK AND HE DOES IT AND EVERY TIME IT HITS!
WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO BESIDES WALK DIRECTLY TOWARDS HIM IN A STRAIGHT LINE!!??????????

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Well, this topic has gone from annoying to amusing. I'm glad I decided to check the Olimar forums today.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Olimar

Broken RANGEEEE!!! HE CAN GET ME FROM 2 FAR AWAY AND I CANT DO ANYTHING!

IF I JUMP HE SHEILD AND GRABS

IF I STAND STILL HE THORWS PIKMINS?!!!!

IF I RUN HE GRABS!!!! OLIMAR IS GODLY AND WINS ALL TOUNRNIES UNLIKE SNAKE/MK!!!

Olimars RECOVERY IS BORKEN! HE CAN REVOER FROM TOO FAR AWAY AND ITS NOT FAIR!

MY GOD HIS FSMASH IS CHEAP... I WALK AND HE DOES IT AND EVERY TIME IT HITS!
WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO BESIDES WALK DIRECTLY TOWARDS HIM IN A STRAIGHT LINE!!??????????
JUMP

Oh, wait. :urg:

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
Yeah check them at least once a week. We seem to get a new **** thread like this every week or so.

"Halp, I fall for the same thing over and over and suck at Brawl! Olimar is cheap because of this"

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I wish it wasn't Olimar that was attacked so often. I also believe that this person's choice of stages probably had something to do with it. He probably chose a really flat stage, like FD, most of the time. Not throwing Pikmin would be silly.

Squirtle the Master

Smash Cadet
Umm you said he beat your Kirby by spamming... so he also won with a character he never used.

Therefore Kirby requires no skill.

Oh and tell me if Olimar requires no skill then why are Snake and MK winning all the tournies?
...I won with a character I never use. Also I never fought his Olimar with my Meta Knight and yes, Meta Knight doesn't require alot of skill to use (more than Olimar) but as I said it requires skill to be GOOD with any character and Meta Knight and Snake are the 2 best characters in the game. Anyway, he did Up-Smash too. And according to the character match-up chart, yes Kirby is better than Olimar. But how many spammers do you see in tournaments? All of Kirby's attacks are close range, lets not forget lag. If there was no lags, I would **** his Olimar.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
You likely exaggerate the lag. Most people don't do multiple matches if the lag is truly damaging to their skill. I know I wouldn't.

And anyone can win with characters they don't use. It's called luck. Even when you try and remove all the distractions, you can't guarantee outside problems can't happen.

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
You see TONS of spammers in tournaments you idiot.

Seeing as spamming is now the most viable tactic to use in order to win I would imagine all the top players are now switching to camping/spamming since you know, they want to win money (or win period)

Also you claim it requires skill to be good with all characters, yet you say Olimar requires no skill. Then you say you can beat him if there wasn't lag.

SO THAT DOESNT MEAN OLIMAR DOESNT REQUIRE SKILL YOU IDIOT. IT JUST MEANS YOU SUCK AT PLAYING IN LAG.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Besides, if the lag was truly detrimental to your skills, how do we know it wasn't detrimental to your opponents? I'd say that could account for the players playing style.

You basically make it sound like your the victim, when it all seems to be due to how you decided to fight against them that caused you to lose. If they truly spammed, then it would be easy to predict what they do, and avoid, or counter.

screeddie

Smash Apprentice
...I won with a character I never use. Also I never fought his Olimar with my Meta Knight and yes, Meta Knight doesn't require alot of skill to use (more than Olimar) but as I said it requires skill to be GOOD with any character and Meta Knight and Snake are the 2 best characters in the game. Anyway, he did Up-Smash too. And according to the character match-up chart, yes Kirby is better than Olimar. But how many spammers do you see in tournaments? All of Kirby's attacks are close range, lets not forget lag. If there was no lags, I would **** his Olimar.
Many a-spammers enter tournaments but rarely do they ever win legit ones. Reason being? Legit players know how to cope with people who have no backup plan other than to spam spamable moves.

Now, Johnny, quit johnning. Use your skill vs. his "lack of skill" and destroy him.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm ashamed at how much attention this thread is getting. I would think that y'all would have learned by now.

peeup

Smash Lord
If it was an in person match I would've ***** him
... /facepalm
If you could have pwn'd him in person, why are you complaining that Olimar takes no skill?! You're contradicting (sp?) yourself, this thread is about a skill-less Olimar being good, but you are also saying that you could have beaten him if it weren't for the lag... So what you're saying is that it DOES take skill to be an Olimar player because, according to you, spamming doesn't actually work...

Be more clear or don't post such a whiney thread.

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to probably be putting more effort into this than I should:

I play tennis, and brawl spamming sounds exactly like the concept of "pushing" in tennis. Pushing is when you hit the ball into the other court as safely as possible and you do it over and over, waiting for your opponent to mess up. Eventually the non-pusher will get pissed off, try to get too aggressive, miss a shot they shouldn't have taken, and lose the match.

Here's the similarity in terms of strategy. Spamming and Pushing are strategies that consistently work against opponents up to a certain skill level. But once you exceed that skill level, those strategies FAIL EVERY TIME. A tennis player will be able to hit those more aggressive shots and a Smash player will be able to work around the spam while still attacking. There are many characters that can spam like this, including Wolf, MK, and Pit. Each one's spam requires slightly different remedies. Once you are controlling the mechanics of the game and your character, those repetitive moves will cease to pose a serious threat.

Bonus points for anyone who read this and understands what I'm talking about.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

I play tennis, and brawl spamming sounds exactly like the concept of "pushing" in tennis. Pushing is when you hit the ball into the other court as safely as possible and you do it over and over, waiting for your opponent to mess up. Eventually the non-pusher will get pissed off, try to get too aggressive, miss a shot they shouldn't have taken, and lose the match.

Here's the similarity in terms of strategy. Spamming and Pushing are strategies that consistently work against opponents up to a certain skill level. But once you exceed that skill level, those strategies FAIL EVERY TIME. A tennis player will be able to hit those more aggressive shots and a Smash player will be able to work around the spam while still attacking. There are many characters that can spam like this, including Wolf, MK, and Pit. Each one's spam requires slightly different remedies. Once you are controlling the mechanics of the game and your character, those repetitive moves will cease to pose a serious threat.

I completely agree. Spammers are annoying as hell. Everyone knows it. If this guy really was spamming, its not too hard to work around. I own spammers all the time. Oh, and losing because of lag from playing online just comes with the territory. And I don't want to repeat what everyone else is saying so I'm just gonna say, get over it! You can spam with anyone! It takes skill to use any character! (except maybe pit and ike, but definatley not olimar!)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

As a raquetball player, I understand what you're saying. One of things I do sometimes is hit the ball as hard as possible. Now, this isn't too hard to counter but to less experienced players, it can be extremelly intimidating because they're more concerned about getting nailed by a ball whizzing by them at 70-80 miles per hour then returning the ball. When I first started playing about 4 years ago, my dad did this a lot until I learned how to position myself or be patient enough to wait for it to bounce off the back wall for an easier shot.

Anyways, spamming does work the same. When I first started playing Brawl, I had problems against Lucas' that spammed Psycho Crusher (AKA PKT2), Ike's that spammed Fsmash, and Pikachu's that spammed thunder and his dsmash. From experience, I learned how to easily counter all of these things with every character in the game.

Also, to the OP, blaming the lag is a terrible excuse. The only characters that are in constant danger of being screwed up by lag are Ness and Lucas. Really, this shouldn't even be an issue with Kirby and if you're lag is that bad during a one on one match, you should probably change your internet settings and erase your temporary internet files. That usually helps tremendously.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Ow look at you wall of text press enter twice and problem solved, although if you bad enough at Brawl to keep walking into an Fsmash pressing Enter twice may be twice as hard.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Olimar is obviously broken. I up b with him and DO NOT RETURN TO THE STAGE! His up b is broken, it doesn't work!! He has a space suit, there must be rockets in there somewhere, but of course not. That's because he is broken! Someone needs to fix Olimar's up b so it works... It's unfair. Everyone else can up b and they'll return to the stage. Except for Jiggypuff and a few other characters who are also broken.

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
Raquetball is very similar to Squash, except the racket is shorter in raquetball. Check Wikipedia.

(I would apologize for being off topic, but this may actually be a more useful discussion.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom