• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Q&A

Olimarman

Smash Ace
I keep seeing Q&A threads in other character specific forums so I decided to make one myself. If anyone has any questions about things like approaching, recovery, combos, AT, moves anything at all relating to Olimar, other members of the board or myself will most likely answer it. Don't be shy, ask away.

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
I seem to have trouble with players that approach by short hopping. I can't develop a working strategy against them. Any help or tips would be appreciated. And about using up b. Its easily dodgeable and very easy to miss.

Yay. One of my ideas got implemented :).

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
Not really. Though MK, Marth, Wario and Jigglypuff are some characters that make the best use of short hopping. Mostly it takes away Olimars grab and since his air game is somewhat lacking, its hard to counter.

Nair or Utilt would work if timed correctly, but it kinda has to be perfect. If the player sees it coming they can fall away from the attack and hit you.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Yeah nair or utilt would be ok but as you said needs good timing. You could also try spot dodging and punishing with something like a dsmash. On some occasions usmash is also good, depending on where the character is coming from. Your best bet is probably spot dodge-dsmash or nair/utilt.

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
My question was kinda just for me, but any question that is important, could you update the first post with it and an answer. I'll have to work using my grab less and my tilts more. Next question:

What attacks, if any, out prioritize or have the priority as Wolf's fsmash?

I can't really do any testing myself, and I'm sure someone knows.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Not really. Though MK, Marth, Wario and Jigglypuff are some characters that make the best use of short hopping. Mostly it takes away Olimars grab and since his air game is somewhat lacking, its hard to counter.

Nair or Utilt would work if timed correctly, but it kinda has to be perfect. If the player sees it coming they can fall away from the attack and hit you.
You forgot to mention Olimar in that list. Try sh to nair, it outprioritizes and cancels alot fo moves, and has so many hits that it punishes most people who planned on shield grabbing or air dodging. Also, f'air with a yellow pikmin has a ghost hitbox that extends your reach by a sliver. That sliver is enough to catch some shoppers prematurely. Spot dodge to jab also works for knocking your opponent away real fast. And if they DI back: fsmash.

These, however, will not work against MK or Marth most of the time, and that is when grabs really play a big role. Olimar's grabs are beastly, the only advantage that he has over some characters. Remember, the pikmin Oli sends out grab on the way out and the way back, meaning that any spot dodgers hanging out close enough to olimar have to deal with a return trip, which is very difficult to time and, if dodged properly, completely immobilizes the player. Shield and grab, my friend, sheild and grab.

And if all else fails, whistle ftw.

Umm, olimar can't grab people in the air. Some characters can, but I believe olimar can't. And a short hopping Olimar might be interesting, but against floaty characters, I would rather be on the ground. Sh to nair might work against Wario, I'll have to try it. But against MK or Marth, i'm keeping my distance.
Olimar can grab people in the air, actually. The timing is difficult, but it can be done.

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
Umm, olimar can't grab people in the air. Some characters can, but I believe olimar can't. And a short hopping Olimar might be interesting, but against floaty characters, I would rather be on the ground. Sh to nair might work against Wario, I'll have to try it. But against MK or Marth, i'm keeping my distance.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
I've got a dilemma: how do you defeat G&W's bair? It's been used against me as a ledge guard and I can't out prioritize it or avoid it. It seems unstoppable. Does the whistle cancel it? I tried using it against him but didn't manage it when I played him.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
run away short hop throw pikmin at his back. easy damage. spacing and grab him when he hits the ground, sometimes roll behind also. never spotdodge never shield
Pretty much. Never stand there, theres nothing you can do without moving out of the way period.

asob4

Smash Champion
My question was kinda just for me, but any question that is important, could you update the first post with it and an answer. I'll have to work using my grab less and my tilts more. Next question:

What attacks, if any, out prioritize or have the priority as Wolf's fsmash?

I can't really do any testing myself, and I'm sure someone knows.
uptilt >>>>>>>>>>>>> wolf's fsmash

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Olimars down-b (his whistle) has super armor frames at the very beginning. This basically means if you time it right and use the whistle as your about to get hit, you will take full damage but not move at all. This is an INCREDIBLY useful technique for any olimar player.

Neb

Smash Lord
+What are some solid, alternative approaches besides grab and pikmin throw? I wanna mix up my game a bit more.
+And besides attempting a spike and pikim tossing, what do some of you guys use for edge-guarding?

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Question 1:
Besides the two you mentioned theres sh fairing and sh nairing to start but most of Olimars best approaches do revolve around grabs.

Question 2:
Theres two things that I do personally besides those mentioned. Since Olimar has such a long ranged fsmash you can stand far enough so they don't pop onto the edge and hit you and you can charge up an fsmash. Also, if you can time it, run up to them as they are getting off the edge and do a running usmash. This is better used however to ko, otherwise you basically just help them back onto the stage. As for actually grabbing the edge, drop right off the stage and upb. When they are approaching the edge, press up and you'll be in invincible frames for some time.

Keep in mind anyone is welcome to answer these questions. I'm not the Olimar Guru, I'm just helping those who need it with the knowledge that I have. I know for a fact many people on the boards know much more about Olimar than me.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
yo neb, try falling off the stage while your opponent recovers and hit em your tether. you'll get your invincibility frames right when they recover and you have a chance to spike em.

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
You can also grab them as they get up from the ledge if your edge guarding didn't work. If they don't jump, but roll, attack, whatever from the ledge, you can grab them. It only works with some characters though.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
run away short hop throw pikmin at his back. easy damage. spacing and grab him when he hits the ground, sometimes roll behind also. never spotdodge never shield
What if I'm trying to get back on the stage and he uses it? I've fallen victim to turtle quite alot in these situations.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
how much resistance do the yellow pikmin have against pikas lightning attacks?
Complete. Yellow Pikmin take absolutely no damage to electric-like attacks, or in your case pikachu. Pikachu also has a hard time shaking off latched yellows since most of his attacks are electricity based.

AvantGarde

Smash Cadet
I'm going to be picking up Olimar as a secondary so I can use him against MK, and I have a few questions I don't feel are worth making a new thread over.

(You don't have to provide links, I heart the search button)
What AT's are important to playing Olimar?
What moves should be used frequently, and what moves should be kept at the back of the closet?
Who are Olimars best/worst match-ups?
Any general suggestions to using oli well?

asob4

Smash Champion
I'm going to be picking up Olimar as a secondary so I can use him against MK, and I have a few questions I don't feel are worth making a new thread over.

What moves should be used frequently, and what moves should be kept at the back of the closet?

i guess those have to be the recovery techs
all his moves are good, just use them wisely and fall in love with >b and up smash
uhhh MK is one of his worst, along with peach, yoshi, marth, kirby, ness, and ROB
some argue sheik and DK but i'm not sure about those.
he has advantage over snake, that should be reason alone to play him ^^
>B a lot and do grab combos. then up/down/forward smash and blue back throw or purple up throw to kill.
order your line and know what's next and what they're good for, that's the most important thing for oli. vB has armor frames, use it off stage to return or to avoid the killing blow

Olimarman

Smash Ace

AT's- Whistle armor cancelling (WAC) Olimar'a down-b has super armor frames at the beginning, which basically means that you take damage but you don't move. There really aren't any definate AT's for olimar that I can think of, but this is as close as you can get to one.

Moves- Everything. All of Oli's moves should be used. Moves that should be saved for kos vary depending on the stage and opponent.

Olimar does well against most characters tbh. Some of his worst matchups however include Rob, Mk, Kirby and Marth. From what your post says you are playing Olimar to take care of Mk. Olimar is fresh meat for him. If your looking for an Mk counter pick up Snake or Dk.

Suggestions- Abuse your grab range. It is one of the longest in the game. Save your backthrow for blue backthrow, especially against lighter characters. Always keep a purple pikmin in your line at higher %s to knock an edgeguarding opponent off to allow you to tether. Olimar has one of the worst recoveries in the game, so you need to do whatever you can to get around this fact.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.

AvantGarde

Smash Cadet
Yeah, not really MK, snake is who I'd use oli against. Though, when I've played some MK's with Olimar I've had better results than with my usual Toon Link. Plus olimar is insanely fun.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
What's a move refresh? I recall B side being called one..
When you use a move, it decays slightly, which means if its used again it is slightly weaker in power and knockback. After 9 moves other than the decayed one hit your opponent, your move will be refreshed. If you latch one pikmin, it goes onto the refresh list, which means it is included in the 9.

For example:

If I use an usmash, I have to use any 9 other attacks, even repeated ones besides usmash for it to be refreshed.

AvantGarde

Smash Cadet
AT's- Whistle armor cancelling (WAC) Olimar'a down-b has super armor frames at the beginning, which basically means that you take damage but you don't move. There really aren't any definate AT's for olimar that I can think of, but this is as close as you can get to one.

Moves- Everything. All of Oli's moves should be used. Moves that should be saved for kos vary depending on the stage and opponent.

Olimar does well against most characters tbh. Some of his worst matchups however include Rob, Mk, Kirby and Marth. From what your post says you are playing Olimar to take care of Mk. Olimar is fresh meat for him. If your looking for an Mk counter pick up Snake or Dk.

Suggestions- Abuse your grab range. It is one of the longest in the game. Save your backthrow for blue backthrow, especially against lighter characters. Always keep a purple pikmin in your line at higher %s to knock an edgeguarding opponent off to allow you to tether. Olimar has one of the worst recoveries in the game, so you need to do whatever you can to get around this fact.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.
I'm already decent at super-armoring with his downB. I was playing an Ike in 4 player who had his side smash fully charged really close to me, used the super armor and when I didn't die he totally freaked out.

I love His grabs. Is there any specific situation I should use his blue backthrow for? (Killing?) One of the things I'm going to need to work on the most is his line ordering. I know whites do the most grab damage and aside from that should only be sideB'd, purples are killer, blues have a little more endurance, reds do more damage in air, what should yellows be used for?

Are there any specific tactics for edgeguarding with olimar? I've noticed that his side smash can hit enemies off the edge, what else works for opponents on or near edges? And, when I'm on an edge, what should I use to get back on? His edge recover attack doesn't have the greatest range, but jumping to get back on is like being asked to have your life taken.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Though, when I've played some MK's with Olimar I've had better results than with my usual Toon Link.
Then you are fighting the wrong MetaKnight.

Actually I think Olimar's Nair has priority over Game and Watch's Bair, from what I've tested it does but I can't say this is certain.

Uhm I guess I'll ask a question while I'm here, nothing very important more like a little trivia but, Is Dtilt the only move in which Olimars antenna has a hitbox?

Olimarman

Smash Ace
I'm already decent at super-armoring with his downB. I was playing an Ike in 4 player who had his side smash fully charged really close to me, used the super armor and when I didn't die he totally freaked out.

I love His grabs. Is there any specific situation I should use his blue backthrow for? (Killing?) One of the things I'm going to need to work on the most is his line ordering. I know whites do the most grab damage and aside from that should only be sideB'd, purples are killer, blues have a little more endurance, reds do more damage in air, what should yellows be used for?

Are there any specific tactics for edgeguarding with olimar? I've noticed that his side smash can hit enemies off the edge, what else works for opponents on or near edges? And, when I'm on an edge, what should I use to get back on? His edge recover attack doesn't have the greatest range, but jumping to get back on is like being asked to have your life taken.
Blue backthrow for killing yes. It can easily kill light characters at 80-90% if your near the edge. I personally find that whites are only good for latching or grabs at higher percents where it really pays off. Basically just throw them. Purples are my personal favorite. If thrown they can throw off recoveries of characters with short range recoveries such as Marth, TL etc. interrupt combos and a purple uthrows kos at percentages very close to blue bthrow. I sometimes find purple uthrows more reliable than blue bthrows in certain situations. And yes they are the most powerful in terms of aerials and smash attacks. Reds are just behind purples in terms of strength and have a further reach on smashes. They also have the elemental effect which is great for comboing, which leads me to yellows. Yellows have a greater elemental effect than red. This means that if you hit someone with lets say a smash attack with a yellow, the character will freeze for about a fraction of a second which gives you a chance to combo into. They arc when thrown which makes latching easy and are moderately powerful. In general don't go out of your way to make sure your line is in perfect order but it is usually nice to just keep track of your pikmin. If your looking for a usmash kill, try your best to get a red or purple in front. Get rid of your whites because they will make you lose kills if your not careful. Don't base Olimar's line on chance but don't sit there and fiddle with your line either. Rearrange between kills and whenever its a good opportunity to.

As for an edgeguard, you can abuse his fsmash range by standing back and charging one, or something I like to do, but requires nearly perfect timing, is run over to them as soon as they pop back onto the stage and hit them with a usmash. I'd advise only doing this to ko though.

And, when I'm on an edge, what should I use to get back on? His edge recover attack doesn't have the greatest range, but jumping to get back on is like being asked to have your life taken.
I'm not really sure what you mean by this, but I think you mean if your on the edge and you want to get back on, I guess just a fair.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Blue backthrow for killing yes. It can easily kill light characters at 80-90% if your near the edge. I personally find that whites are only good for latching or grabs at higher percents where it really pays off. Basically just throw them. Purples are my personal favorite. If thrown they can throw off recoveries of characters with short range recoveries such as Marth, TL etc. interrupt combos and a purple uthrows kos at percentages very close to blue bthrow. I sometimes find purple uthrows more reliable than blue bthrows in certain situations. And yes they are the most powerful in terms of aerials and smash attacks. Reds are just behind purples in terms of strength and have a further reach on smashes. They also have the elemental effect which is great for comboing, which leads me to yellows. Yellows have a greater elemental effect than red. This means that if you hit someone with lets say a smash attack with a yellow, the character will freeze for about a fraction of a second which gives you a chance to combo into. They arc when thrown which makes latching easy and are moderately powerful. In general don't go out of your way to make sure your line is in perfect order but it is usually nice to just keep track of your pikmin. If your looking for a usmash kill, try your best to get a red or purple in front. Get rid of your whites because they will make you lose kills if your not careful. Don't base Olimar's line on chance but don't sit there and fiddle with your line either. Rearrange between kills and whenever its a good opportunity to.
Ow my eyes, tl;dr.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
sigh

B throw at the EDGE can kill around 80-90
For a reliable kill with the back throw or the Purple you would want to wait until 110%

As for a Yellow or Red causing a FREEZE... It extends the time the hit box is out.
This means that you have time to set up but not to get too close because I've been sucked into Zelda's Up smash when the yellow was latched.

The rest of this I can agree with mildly on. Not to be a hassle or anything.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
sigh

B throw at the EDGE can kill around 80-90
For a reliable kill with the back throw or the Purple you would want to wait until 110%

As for a Yellow or Red causing a FREEZE... It extends the time the hit box is out.
This means that you have time to set up but not to get too close because I've been sucked into Zelda's Up smash when the yellow was latched.

The rest of this I can agree with mildly on. Not to be a hassle or anything.
Your entitled to your opinion. This is my personal response to his question. I'd like other people to answer tbh, since I'm not the Olimar guru and I know others know more than me. As for the kills, blue bthrow will do it on small characters in the mid 90s, I was wrong about 80s. puthrow is into the 100s.

datazndude91

Smash Rookie
ok I have a friend who likes to edge guard me with ZSS' tether recovery, and when i use my recovery it just goes through the ledge, while ZSS is safe below me. is there a way around this? especially when i'm low on pikmin, or have already used my second jump? perhaps a way to stage spike him for payback?

Top Bottom