• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Matchup Thread

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Jiggs seems surprisingly difficult. It might just be a personal thing, but I rely on grab combos and Olimar's grab game. Jiggs is really hard to do follow-ups on, and Jiggs's aerials seem to beat out Olimar's. Maybe I'm just playing the matchup wrong. I think it's even, if not, I'm playing the matchup horribly wrong.

So time for something completely different

**** G&W and that **** matchup. What do I do? Should I do anything in particular against G&W? I can't juggle because of the key, the stupid manhole cover beats out my grabs, bacon beats out Pikmin Throw, and his weight is really hard to combo. HELP. ;_;

Last edited:

steelguttey

mei is bei
btw if jiggs misses a rest and is above 26% a fully charged usmash will kill her

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
btw if jiggs misses a rest and is above 26% a fully charged usmash will kill her
On what stage? Any? Dreamland?

And with what Pikmin?

Come on dude, there's a lot of possibilities, this is Olimar lol

steelguttey

mei is bei
Good Stages: ???

Percent at which flowered purple usmash can kill at: 50%

Matchup Ratio: ?-?

Tips:
If Jigglypuff misses a rest, you can kill her at 26% with a fully charged purple flowered usmash

Jiggs seems surprisingly difficult. It might just be a personal thing, but I rely on grab combos and Olimar's grab game. Jiggs is really hard to do follow-ups on, and Jiggs's aerials seem to beat out Olimar's. Maybe I'm just playing the matchup wrong. I think it's even, if not, I'm playing the matchup horribly wrong.

So time for something completely different

**** G&W and that **** matchup. What do I do? Should I do anything in particular against G&W? I can't juggle because of the key, the stupid manhole cover beats out my grabs, bacon beats out Pikmin Throw, and his weight is really hard to combo. HELP. ;_;

this week sucked cuase nobody plays these characters so ima not even focus on it rn. this starts d3 week

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Finally a character I main! Dedede can gimp and kill Olimar earlier than 5 am, and even though he's a big target, he can remove latched pikmin with nair. He's big and fat so comboing to over 100% probably will be a thing and I think he can swat away thrown pikmin with his waddles and f tilt but don't quote me that lol. I guess his hammer is kinda like a big sword and you keep mentioning he has trouble against characters with big swords so connect the dots. A smart D3 will space aerials and waddles and tilts so he can't be combo'd or pressured. I'm calling (slight) disadvantage for Olibabies. Seriously, bair, fair, up tilt, and down smash kill Olibabies so early. D3 has a crazy recovery and weight so killing will be hard. I know Ripple and Hungrybox played this same MU so you can watch that video for the first game before Hbox counterpicks with Puff, a badish D3 MU.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I would main olimar in a heartbeat if he could do anything to spacies.

B.W.

Smash Champion
He's not bad vs Falco at least.

I tagged you in this thread though Ripple because you're a main of Dedede and you play Olimar for certain matchups. I was wondering if you had any input on this matchup.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Ripple vs.HBox isn't much to go by. HBox is bad at this game.

@ Ripple Ripple insight on this stuff please.
I'd dare say I am a better Olimar than HBox but he ain't the type of guy that just hangs in pools. His Mario and Olimar may be kind of meh, but his Jigglypuff is excellent even in this game. You can check out my PM puff guide for more thoughts on that.

Ripple, my Dedede SUCKS. Please please please give me any advice you would say is useful. Start a conversation with me if you have to. Should I wavedash or run? When should I waddle dash? How do I deal with projectiles? What are some good combos? Should I stay on the ground or in the air? What moves are bad and what are good?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I can only theory craft but I wouldn't think that its in olimars favor. My best guess would be close to even or a slight advantage us. Olimar's keep away game seems efficient against DDD but not overwhelming.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
D3 is a really hard matchup for me personally.

It's either Oli or me. No idea though, he's just really hard to get around for me as Olimar.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I personally find this match up to be in Olimar's favour. Waddles may trade with Pikmin but Pikmin can be thrown much faster than Waddles and put DDD under a lot more pressure. Then is the fact that like the other big bodies like Bowser and DK, DDD can be comboed and chain grabbed to oblivion. Unlike those two however DDD doesn't have the defensive options to relieve your pressure. Your main concern of course is being offstage. DDD has one of the strongest off stage games in the game and can very easily edgeguard you. Centre stage is your best friend.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I personally find this match up to be in Olimar's favour. Waddles may trade with Pikmin but Pikmin can be thrown much faster than Waddles and put DDD under a lot more pressure. Then is the fact that like the other big bodies like Bowser and DK, DDD can be comboed and chain grabbed to oblivion. Unlike those two however DDD doesn't have the defensive options to relieve your pressure. Your main concern of course is being offstage. DDD has one of the strongest off stage games in the game and can very easily edgeguard you. Centre stage is your best friend.
tl;dr I need to use Pikmin Throw more.

I'm of the mindset to not go offstage at all against Dedede for the reason of his offstage ability alone. The possible gimps to him aren't worth the very possible stock loss Oli can suffer against him lol

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
pikmin throw isn't going to do anything to DDD. you think its going to pressure me into attacking?no. only white will do that and white still suck. I'm just going to keep jumping over you and fall down with f-tilts, inhales, waddles and bairs on the back of your shield. I'm going to hover until you make a mistake like jumping or misspace so I can land and do something. your pikmin throws mean nothing to DDD

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I'M SO CONFLICTED

I still think it's in D3's favor. Despite Silentdoom's comment, it's really hard to apply pressure to D3. I mean, his nair just swats Pikmin off, he can shield pressure, and his offstage game is great.

I'm just going to assume that the only advantage Oli has, as he has with most matchups, is juggles.

...which in hindsight are actually hard to pull off against D3's dair.

Last edited:

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
Ripple's post is like 30 times funnier when you imagine him saying it as the moon from Majora's Mask. Or even as DDD himself.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Why would you jump/hover over a character with a frame 8 USmash which can juggle your character to 70% though?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
because it works? I do it to fox also with no problems

and whits suck if you have no purple behind them. I'll actively throw them off stage along with yellows

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
or maybe you guys are crazy and don't think like I do.

steelguttey

mei is bei
white juggles are easily the highest damage combos that olimar has and sticking someone witha fdlowered white puts so much pressure on them. grab range is just lower than blue and it has a very good pummel too

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Except Fox can't combo you to 70% from his USmash :V The fact that you're able to just stay above a character with probably one of the best anti air tools in the game and succeed is a testament to players not adapting properly as opposed to Olimar struggling.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I never said he struggled. I said he manages. DDD's aerial to ground game is one of the best in the game. he doesn't have to be right above you, he can be above your upsmash height and put on pressure. olimar isn't fast enough to run all the way under DDD everytime and get away with that either. I will get a grab or hit more often than you do. I'm not denying olimar can combo me for a lot of damage, but I will win more interactions between us.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I'm not sure, but Dedede's D-Air might blow Olimar's U-Smash away if they connect to each other.

steelguttey

mei is bei
Good Stages: preference (dont give d3 dreamland 64 pls)

Percent at which flowered purple usmash can kill at: 89%

Matchup Ratio: 5.5-4.5

Tips:
Finally a character I main! Dedede can gimp and kill Olimar earlier than 5 am, and even though he's a big target, he can remove latched pikmin with nair. He's big and fat so comboing to over 100% probably will be a thing and I think he can swat away thrown pikmin with his waddles and f tilt but don't quote me that lol. I guess his hammer is kinda like a big sword and you keep mentioning he has trouble against characters with big swords so connect the dots. A smart D3 will space aerials and waddles and tilts so he can't be combo'd or pressured. I'm calling (slight) disadvantage for Olibabies. Seriously, bair, fair, up tilt, and down smash kill Olibabies so early. D3 has a crazy recovery and weight so killing will be hard. I know Ripple and Hungrybox played this same MU so you can watch that video for the first game before Hbox counterpicks with Puff, a badish D3 MU.
I can only theory craft but I wouldn't think that its in olimars favor. My best guess would be close to even or a slight advantage us. Olimar's keep away game seems efficient against DDD but not overwhelming.
I'M SO CONFLICTED

I still think it's in D3's favor. Despite Silentdoom's comment, it's really hard to apply pressure to D3. I mean, his nair just swats Pikmin off, he can shield pressure, and his offstage game is great.

I'm just going to assume that the only advantage Oli has, as he has with most matchups, is juggles.

...which in hindsight are actually hard to pull off against D3's dair.

I never said he struggled. I said he manages. DDD's aerial to ground game is one of the best in the game. he doesn't have to be right above you, he can be above your upsmash height and put on pressure. olimar isn't fast enough to run all the way under DDD everytime and get away with that either. I will get a grab or hit more often than you do. I'm not denying olimar can combo me for a lot of damage, but I will win more interactions between us.

now were at kirby.

may i just say kirby with olimar powers is the ****ing worst

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Don't get grabbed. Oli's tech roll is ass and Kirby, as long as the other person can consistently read, can d-throw tech-chase you for a long time.

However, Oli can kill him pretty damn early. Fair and up-smash are your friends.

I think it's even.

steelguttey

mei is bei
nobody is gonna say **** so im just gonna say some things

yea dont get grabbed. you are gomna take like 70% if the kirby is good. his bair beats all of your aerials. if he inhales you get ready for a wild ride. he gets your side b as if all of the pikmin he throws is purples. so he gets a great projectile for free. you cant gimp him, its hard for him to gimp you unless hes right next to you before you tether. pick stages with high ceilings. 6-4 in kirbys favor

@ Phan7om Phan7om @Canon thoughts before i change to next character?

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I think you got it good, just avoid grabs, dont get kirbycided, watch out Kirby can get your tether pretty easily try to mix it up, and bait and punish dash attacks. Idk much about olimar, but i think a well timed aerial can beat it out.

Top Bottom