• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar isn't one of the best in this game

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
Why are people saying HOLY CRAP OLIMAR IS TOP TIER, HE'S THE BEST.

1. the pikmin are fragile as glass

2. By himself, he has 2 good attacks, and no KO move.

explain why olimar is so great

Gary

Smash Apprentice
Um, it doesn't matter if his pikmin are fragile, they're perfectly expendable if you're smart considering how fast he plucks them. And he shouldn't ever be on his own.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
because if he hits the opponent anywhere with any attack, he has plenty of time to pick a full party of new pikmin.

popo12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nucleotyde
3DS FC
1977-0411-3918
Right now the only thing I know of that really hurts him from losing Pikmin is when he's airborne and loses most of his recovery range.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
1) The pikmins are invincible while they are with you. Also:
2) He plucks pikmins very fast.

anothers

3) Best range of fsmash, dsmash, and grab.
4) Speed
5) Size of the character (like pichu)
6) Great knockback
7) Good aerial game, and a sheik-like fair
8) Is Olimar ****.
9) Pikmin owns: throw them and see how your opponent cant throw missiles to you (pikmins stop them) and also how his damage counter grows faster and FASTER: ops, he's death xD

Only reason why it's bad:

Tether recovery=owned by ledgethievering. A competitive tech (casuals don't use it much). So anyway, it will be near god in casual way, and very good in competitive way.

Resume:

1) Best range in smash
2) Best range in grab
3) Best and quickest projectiles
4) Quick, good aerial game, and small

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
yeah, his Pikmin are really expendable, but if you can kill him, keep the pressure on him, and then knock him off. He's pretty much gone since his recovery not only weakens with fewer pikmin, but his recovery is gimpable in general/

Evelgest

Smash Apprentice
Mew2King said:
olimar - chain grab (dunno how escapable it is), super campy, super long shield grab, good range/power/speed combination overall, weakness is recovery (just edge hog him)
It's what he said.

Because you aren't supposed to used him without Pikmin, and because an entire party of new Pikmin can be plucked in less than a second.

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
But he's light, and has virtualy no recovery, and no pikmin besides purple deals knock back. which, you have to throw away your pikmin to GET to purple, unless you're lucky

Whut

Smash Cadet
Well, I have seen several videos of Olimar throwing a pikmin at the right moment at a edge-hogger to clear the way for him. Once the pikmin hits, the hogger lets go, providing the space for Olimar's tether recovery.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
But he's light, and has virtualy no recovery, and no pikmin besides purple deals knock back. which, you have to throw away your pikmin to GET to purple, unless you're lucky
He actually isn't that light. The same weight class as Mario, oddly enough.

Also, while only purples do knock back when thrown, the others inflict fairly high damage when lacked onto an enemy. But Pikmin are most useful when used for ariel and Smash attacks which are pretty great.

From what I've heard, his recovery is easily gimped which is his only major weakness.

Learn more in NC Echoe's Olimar guide: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=144161

Iraku

Smash Cadet
But he's light, and has virtually no recovery, and no pikmin besides purple deals knock back. which, you have to throw away your pikmin to GET to purple, unless you're lucky
He DOES have a recovery move that's pretty effective to some extent (hey, other characters have a similar recovery, and others are also just as predictable), Pikmin were never meant to deal knockback even in their series (Purples did stun enemies though), and Down-B switches the order of Pikmin without throwing any away.

Also, Olimar plucks Pikmin so fast, Olimar only having a few moves by himself is not too big of a problem. How much effort did you put into finding Pikmin and Olimar's potential?

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Wrong, the other types besides white do totally fine knockback to

Olimar is really really good, you dont know anything about him

Evelgest

Smash Apprentice
No, you use his Down B to re-order your Pikmin. Go to the Olimar section and watch a battle with Echo playing as Olimar.

Awex

Smash Lord
The purples are the only that do knockback on the pikmin toss (side b), which actually makes them less useful than the other pikmin types for that purpose. ;x

Though you CAN use them to knock an edgehogger off so you can recover. And purples are pretty sweet for down and up smash.

He's really really good.. Just try him when you get the game.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
I love the absolute chaos going on across all of smash boards about who is great who isn't, if the games balanced or not, tier lists... Anywhere you look madness ensues as soon as someone posts almost anything regarding character strength. Where Olimar eventually ends up really isn't going to affect me much I expect, but honestly at this point I Can't Wait for US release. As an Olimar main I either have this huge target on my back because people think hes top tier and everyones pulling for an upset, or there are the people who overlook him, too possessed with the "apparent" natural advantages of Marth and Toon Link. Its a Win Win situation. Honestly Olimar seemingly is the only character thats been bounced around like this, I haven't noticed any other characters being cried wolf and then somehow forgotten by half the population like him.

So does Olimar have some unbalanced strengths and abilities? Is he "one of the best in the game"? No one honestly knows.

But I will say this, because of the incessant ridiculous speculation and meaningless debate taking over the boards, this community has MADE Olimar a mind game that anyone opposing him has already lost.

And I love it =)

-True

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wrong, the other types besides white do totally fine knockback to

Olimar is really really good, you dont know anything about him
True that.

TC, you have absolutely no idea what youre talking about, and obviously havent seen him fight enough times.

If you fight alone as Olimar most of the time, you are a terrible player, who shouldnt be playing the game.

Thats not how Olimar works. His attacks are Pikmin centered, and it takes about 1 second to pluck 6, so that isnt a problem.

Leran before you troll again please. This attempt was a complete failure...

Hammydude

Smash Rookie
Of course his recovery is a problem, we have known this for ages, but it all depends on how you deal with edge hogging and such.

As for his pikmin, it sounds cruel but they ARE expendable. You have an unlimited supply, so of course they are not as durable as they could be.

Every character has their strengths and weaknesses. What makes Olimar good is the person controlling him... I mean, you're acting like these characters are REAL. The worst "said character" in the game can destroy everyone if a pro is playing him/her. Oli is good with players who are good. Same with anyone else.

deathborn00

Smash Apprentice
i've been Olimar, he's really good. All of his moves are **** powerful, and it's pretty easy for him to juggle people. Also a person who has rarely or never fought an Olimar is going to lose as long as the one using Olimar isn't an idiot. Reason being is Olimar is **** hard to predict. I'm pretty sure i can face the OP of this thread in a 1 v 1 battle and come out on top.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
Why are people saying HOLY CRAP OLIMAR IS TOP TIER, HE'S THE BEST.

1. the pikmin are fragile as glass

2. By himself, he has 2 good attacks, and no KO move.

explain why olimar is so great

you can assume everyone thinks hes the best.
actually, that just shows your intimidated by him and you think hes the best.

i never said that, he is the "best" there is no "best" so yes, you will have to have skill for brawl, sorry

I love the absolute chaos going on across all of smash boards about who is great who isn't, if the games balanced or not, tier lists... Anywhere you look madness ensues as soon as someone posts almost anything regarding character strength. Where Olimar eventually ends up really isn't going to affect me much I expect, but honestly at this point I Can't Wait for US release. As an Olimar main I either have this huge target on my back because people think hes top tier and everyones pulling for an upset, or there are the people who overlook him, too possessed with the "apparent" natural advantages of Marth and Toon Link. Its a Win Win situation. Honestly Olimar seemingly is the only character thats been bounced around like this, I haven't noticed any other characters being cried wolf and then somehow forgotten by half the population like him.

So does Olimar have some unbalanced strengths and abilities? Is he "one of the best in the game"? No one honestly knows.

But I will say this, because of the incessant ridiculous speculation and meaningless debate taking over the boards, this community has MADE Olimar a mind game that anyone opposing him has already lost.

And I love it =)

-True
*Applaudes*

My favorite thing is the fact that were deciding how good/bad a character is without actually playign the game

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Olimar is already established as a good character in brawl. There really is no point in refuting it. His bad recovery is his main weakness and really is necesary because he'd probably be overpowered if he had a good recovery. Either way it's not that big of a deal because in most cases in Brawl you aren't recoverying from below the stage and therefore shouldn't need to use the tether recovery except for in rarer cases when you are knocked back especially far.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
1) He is not that light.
2) All recovery in this game is good. Just tilt towards the stage lol.
But seriously yea this is his main (only) weakness
3) Red pikmin has godly knock back as well as purple. The other ones aren't bad either. Seriously.
4) You can also use down b to shuffle through your pikmin to get to purple or red if you need knockback. And Olimar throws/plucks pikmin very fast. It's not that much of a weakness.

Lumancer

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played enough to make too many arguments in favor of Olimar, but let me make this one argument-

he's FUN. Remember that thing we had in smash way back when, fun? He's new, exciting, a unique player with unique advantages that plays unlike anything we've ever seen. He has only two major vulnerabilities that I've seen so far (recovery and pikmin dying), and they really aren't all that severe. Absolute worst case scenario, he's a very decent character- personally, I think he's pretty good.

VIVE LA PIKMIN REVOLUCION !

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Falco was **** in Melee on the stage, but he had the worst recovery in the game. That is Olimar, ladies and gentleman: Top tier on the stage, but bottom off the stage (or rather below).

Top Bottom