• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Counters

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
Here is a list of characters that can likely counter Olimar:

Fox
Wolf
Sonic
Metaknight

What do you think about this?

cooldude123

Smash Cadet
OMG! THIS LIST IS SO GODLY AND TRUE! It's so obvious that these characters will counter Olimar! LOL LOL LOL!!!!!

....hey kid, next time, give out reasons and back-up for your arguments, instead of just listing random characters.

*rolls eyes*

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
while this list may be accurate for no reason at all. Its baseless and pointless. The only true counter to olimar is a fighting strategy not a certain character. Right now (and i've played the game) I can think of multiple ways Snake can fight Olimar. think strat over character first ok?

UltimateLink

Smash Apprentice
OMG! THIS LIST IS SO GODLY AND TRUE! It's so obvious that these characters will counter Olimar! LOL LOL LOL!!!!!

....hey kid, next time, give out reasons and back-up for your arguments, instead of just listing random characters.

*rolls eyes*
uh, he didnt back it up because he wanted people to discuss about it.
Next time, think before you post.

UltimateLink

Smash Apprentice
I find Marth to be an extremely difficult match-up
Yeah, marth does good against almost everyone, including olimar. When i fought
Cactuar, it was extremely hard for me to hit him, i concluding that spacing was my answer
and that olimar has more range. He kinda does have more range, and with spacing
i won. But yes, i truly think Marth is a counter against Olimar.

kafke

Smash Apprentice
Well, I guess it all depends on how each person plays. There could be a Marth that absolutely sucks against an Olimar, because maybe he's never played against one, while the other Marth creams the Marth always fights Olimar... It's all based on the players.

UltimateLink

Smash Apprentice
Well, I guess it all depends on how each person plays. There could be a Marth that absolutely sucks against an Olimar, because maybe he's never played against one, while the other Marth creams the Marth always fights Olimar... It's all based on the players.
yeah thats kinda true

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
uh, he didnt back it up because he wanted people to discuss about it.
Next time, think before you post.
No... when you make a topic (and this would be in real world encounters as well) If you present an idea you BACK IT WITH supporting evidence. its not our job to do it for you. If he even said it as an open question without a slanted presentation it would be forgivable. The problem is he posted it as if fact with no support and expects us to talk about it? Anyway his list is wrong. Snake, P. Trainer, and mario are the best counters to Olimar.

(see what I did there?)

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
hmmm.... need to see a gameplay vid of a good olimar vs a snake and mario b/c i dnt really think a olimar would have trouble with those characters

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Yeah, marth does good against almost everyone, including olimar. When i fought
Cactuar, it was extremely hard for me to hit him, i concluding that spacing was my answer
and that olimar has more range. He kinda does have more range, and with spacing
i won. But yes, i truly think Marth is a counter against Olimar.
Err. Sorry but who are you? I haven't been beaten by anyone 1v1, especially not by an Olimar.

Edit: The problem with Olimar's "range" is that it is very linear as far as where the hitboxes reach from ground attacks and that aerially he doesn't have nearly the same reach. You have to control the space the opponent moves through and force them into your "range" in a very different way than what we are really used to from melee.

UltimateLink

Smash Apprentice
Err. Sorry but who are you? I haven't been beaten by anyone 1v1, especially not by an Olimar.

Edit: The problem with Olimar's "range" is that it is very linear as far as where the hitboxes reach from ground attacks and that aerially he doesn't have nearly the same reach. You have to control the space the opponent moves through and force them into your "range" in a very different way than what we are really used to from melee.
sorry i used the wrong name i was thinking of you and i accidentally typed your name, sorry

Hammydude

Smash Rookie
I think for the point of discussion, all players are at equal playing ability. The first poster has it pretty much summed up, just add Marth

UltimateLink

Smash Apprentice
Haha it's cool...

Who were you talking about?
this one guy at SPOC4, it was a melee and we both had 3 stocks when it was just us.
i beat him and that was the last game i played for brawl. I couldn't play another if i wanted to
anyway, Scar took brawl away.

Scar

#HarveyDent
this one guy at SPOC4, it was a melee and we both had 3 stocks when it was just us.
i beat him and that was the last game i played for brawl. I couldn't play another if i wanted to
anyway, Scar took brawl away.
FAWK BRAWL!!! lol jk. But seriously.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Sonic counters Olimar how exactly?

Personally I'd have to say Sheik, diddy and pikachu. For quite obvious reasons.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I say speed characters and those with grose a moves are killers against Olimar. If a character is floaty though, Olimar has an advantage. Big counters I see against Olimar are Ike, Fox, Sonic, C.Falcon as of right now. As for positives, I think he's good against Pit, Meta Knight, Luigi and Jigglypuff.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
c.falcon is definatly not an olimar weakness b/c he has absolutly no reach and ike isnt really a weakness either b/c he is a slow charcter meaning taking longer to knock off pikmin and counter attack olimar

and MK has a very high propability of owning the **** out of olimar

u must be new to the olimar section?

errtu

Smash Apprentice
geez now it seems almost everyone is a counter for olimar. c'mon. just play well and use different strats with different characters. it seems to me that is specially important in this game. u cant go about playing the same way against every character. u gotta change strats man. now dont ask for specific ones cause i havent played yet, just my opinion based on observation

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Anyone with a reflector screws Olimar, his pikmins stick to him after being reflected.
So...yeah.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
It's too early to say who is a counter to Olimar, because the metagame needs to be set up first.

I'm a fan of Zelda in that matchup though. Naryu's love reflects Pikmin, Din's fire is a longer-ranged projectile than pikmin throw, and her up air kills him at like, 80%.

RickRIGHTEOUS

Smash Cadet
How is Yoshi good at killing pikmin? Just wondering
Well, his side b can kill them if used quickly after launching Olimar - and Yoshi is one of the more speedy characters this time around with an egg throwing projectile. Yoshi can also avoid being knoked away by Olimar with his unique jumping ability - and Olimar is better with a little distance.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
You've been very... nondescript of late echo, odd considering your also the guy writing a guide for Captain Olimar. Any chance of you explaining why you don't think he is easily countered? I agree I don't think there is going to be some long list of solid counter picks to Olimar, but I can't say i have much first hand experience either. I'm sure more people than just me would be interested in your thoughts on the issue too, if you find some time =)

-True

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Yea i answered that in between matches, sorry for not explaining.

Given Olimar's move-set, a lot of the cast will have trouble getting in range to hit him but if you F-B spam then they are pressured to do something. When they rush in Olimar has a number of moves that he can do to punish most characters. The characters in particular that I find to be counters are ones that are particularly fast (and marth) because its harder to assert Olimars range advantage (given I haven't played skilled players of every character). Once I get the character match-up section of my guide done you'll have more of an insight into my opinions in particular about counters.

Me14k

Smash Lord
It is simple. Fast, movile characters will be better against olimar. And characters that can outcamp olimar will be better.

Im looking at metaknight and pit to be his big counters

UltimateLink

Smash Apprentice
Falco is a counter, forgot to mention that.
Ask Vex, i fought him this one melee match, it was hard as hell.
And if Vex sees this, its me Lite.

Wararchon

Smash Cadet
Squirtle is pretty good at going against Olimar, even though Charzard and Ivysaurus cannot compare. His speed and quick ariels along with his amazing dsmash makes him a good future counter. However, since only few people have the japanese version of brawl as of now, it's too hard to say whether there is enough proof that any character is a pure counter for Olimar.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
I think that Fox, Wolf, Sonic, Pit and possibly Ice Climber do well against him but aren't actual counters.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
dude i don't know, it doesn't really matter how fast the character is, you can't really get around the pikmin and get clean hits in. olimar can just spam forever until you approach then he can just wreck you up close... i find him really hard to approach.

he's really annoying, i hate projectile spam.

the656

Smash Journeyman
Here is a list of characters that can likely counter Olimar:

Fox
Wolf
Sonic
Metaknight

What do you think about this?
I would say metaknight and maybe sonic (havent played a decent sonic)
Fox and Wolf I don't understand whats so hard about them. Olimars grab does charms

snowbonez

Smash Apprentice
To some gegree, Sheik could prove to be difficult to some Olimars. Thankfully, I have my Sheik friend I can train against, so I guess I could tell you about Olimar v. Sheik matchups later...

Top Bottom