• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Counters

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
Fox is a valid counter. His reflector makes your Forward-B useless and dangerous, and he beats Oli at his own game of racking up damage. MetaKnight isn't too bad against Olimar, but his light weight makes him vulnerable to Oli's godly up-smash for a quick KO. Sonic and Wolf aren't counters at all, as I'd know because I just spent an hour playing against each yesterday. Sonic is horribly predictable; all of his roll moves are easily dodged and Oli can even grab him out of it due to the absurdly long grab range of Pikmin. Wolf is slow enough and Oli's killing potential is better such that you can successfully trade hits with him to a KO.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
Olimar doesn't have a counter. at first i thought characters like MK and marth and other swordsman/djhitbox characters that are fast "counter" him but after seeing vids other than echo's, i can confidently say it just takes a different playstyle to beat them, and Olimar has slight advantage again, but not nearly as much as he does against characters who don't fit the description. the only real counter to him, if this is true, are the space animals, because of their reflectors throwing pikmin back, but against a good thrower, even that doesn't work so well.

i think characters like Zamus, who have tether recoveries like olimar can seriously mess him up because his only way to knock people off of edges is to throw pikmin/aerial attack, but if tether fighters just hang low and come up once olimar gets to their level and hog, then say goodbye to a stock.

it basically comes down to your playstyle, but frankly unless you are an aggressive player, you are going to have a hard time against a competent Olimar no matter what character you pick, but aggressive players will have an easier time vs Olimar with any character compared to passive players who camp, since Olimar > all at camping. the more you camp vs Olimar, the harder it is to kill him.

d-go

Smash Rookie
Don't Forget ROB. In my experience he can be a rather annoying matchup. But once you figure out to keep red pikmin (think that that tidbit is in Echo's guide) in the front once ROB is in the air, the matchup almost seems trivial as it seems (could have been noobish DI on the ROB players part) that u-smash just shreds ROB.

FmAiGkGeO

Smash Cadet
I really haven't played a skilled person from every character, but my friend is a good IKE and I can almost three stock him with olimar. It's all on equal priority moves, then fsmashing him when his fsmash is about to hit.

Hardest matches I've fought are Link, Sonic, Rob. I can still pull off victories, but it's a lot harder than most. Link isn't the best character in general, but his moves are higher priority and end up killing a lot of pikmin. It leaves you on the defensive a lot. Especially when being spaced by link. Really only way I've found to get close is to run and shield till in striking range. With the double smashes though it's near impossible to whistle out of a KO strike. You just have to get him in the air and you can take him. Olimar's up air is really good if you hit it just right.

Sonic is hard also. I have figured out how to beat him, but the sonic person I play isn't tournament material sonic. Really playing sonic is just a game of wait and smash. Wait till his delay after the smash then come in for the kill strike, or forward smash.

The comment that reflectors can put pikmin onto Olimar is bunk. You can just whistle and they'll jump right back in line from attacking you. The hardest people to beat with Olimar often are the fast people, or those who can easily remove the pikmin from them. It voids the strategy of throw some pikmin then wait for them to charge.

showmeyagoose

Smash Cadet
sonic is wayyyyy predictable with his dash attack/spin dash, you can literally charge up an fsmash waiting for him...sonic is also under the impression that he has a good airgame, sonics airgame sucks, olimar is way better in my opinion.
whos a counter then? eh, maybe
MK
and MAYBE pit, because of his reflect attacks (but its easy to outspam pit)
olimar can usually handle the starfox team even though they can reflect, but when they reflect they have to stand still so its no problem.

Top Bottom